Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
nm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
Why is the Gitlab logo so freaking ugly? Why haven't they changed it yet?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Forums Terrorist posted:

the rule of thumb with raid is higher number = better

raid-z :smugdog:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

z is a number

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

raid-z2

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

whenever you order things, numbers always come first, then letters, so z is the highest and therefore best :smugdog:

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

will everything succumb to the zombie trend?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

~ sorts after z

and DEL sorts after ~

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

will everything succumb to the zombie trend?

if any file system is a zombie it's hfs+

how is that still alive

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

if any file system is a zombie it's hfs+

how is that still alive

The 12 remaining Mac users

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Peanut and the Gang posted:

Why is the Gitlab logo so freaking ugly? Why haven't they changed it yet?

too busy trying to fix RCE exploits

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i lost my iphone 5s in a different state of the US of A on saturday. how do i replace it? i can't stand the bullshit i have to go through at the sprint store. i just want to buy a new iphone and transfer my number over without having to pay a several hundred dollar tax for losing it in the first place. is it possible to do this without getting a new contract and not having to pay to get an unlocked iphone, seeing as how I'd tether my new one to my existing number anyway?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

obstipator posted:

i lost my iphone 5s in a different state of the US of A on saturday. how do i replace it? i can't stand the bullshit i have to go through at the sprint store. i just want to buy a new iphone and transfer my number over without having to pay a several hundred dollar tax for losing it in the first place. is it possible to do this without getting a new contract and not having to pay to get an unlocked iphone, seeing as how I'd tether my new one to my existing number anyway?
are you asking us how to make a claim against your cellphone insurance, or are you asking us how to purchase a new phone while cancelling your old one

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

do Seagate external hard drives still fall apart? Amazon has a 5tb external Seagate on sale for $129 and a 4tb WD for $131. I know their reputation is not for reliability and the last Seagate I had died within 6 months taking my vast collection of Linux ISOs with it, but I also know WD puts lovely drives in their external boxes too.

If you are using it is a drive to back things up they are fine. If you take it out of the enclosure your warranty is likely void and the drives are not going to last as long as a standard internal drive. Also the 5tb ones are SMR so random reads are going to be slower. Still great for media storage and backups.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

The 12 remaining Mac users

doesn't the iPhone use hfs+?

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

anthonypants posted:

are you asking us how to make a claim against your cellphone insurance, or are you asking us how to purchase a new phone while cancelling your old one

i wanna purchase a new one and cancel my old one without having to pay extra money to get an unlocked phone. is this possible?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

obstipator posted:

i wanna purchase a new one and cancel my old one without having to pay extra money to get an unlocked phone. is this possible?
your carrier or your phone's manufacturer aren't responsible for you losing your phone, so unless you have cell phone insurance, you will be spending money to replace it

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

anthonypants posted:

your carrier or your phone's manufacturer aren't responsible for you losing your phone, so unless you have cell phone insurance, you will be spending money to replace it

yeah i understand that, but it sounds like I will have to buy an unlocked phone as opposed to a locked phone. I have an existing contract with sprint and don't want to pay the extra unlocking fees on it since I plan to continue my contract with the new phone that I'll be purchasing. is there a way for sprint to smile upon me and not charge me to unlock this new one and just move my existing contract to the new one? I'm guessing my only options are to pay extra to unlock a new phone; or buy a locked phone, pay to terminate my old contract and start a new contract?

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

do you need it unlocked for travel?

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

do you need it unlocked for travel?

I don't need to unlock it. It just sounds like I am required by sprint to either terminate my existing contract and get a new phone with a new contract; or buy an unlocked phone and tether my old contract to the new phone. i dont really understand how this unlock stuff works other than you pay extra money to not have to get a contract w/ a new phone.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
"locking" refers to a phone only being usable by one carrier, it doesnt really have to do with your contract other than carriers usually lock the phone to their services until its paid off

an unlocked phone can be used with any carrier that the baseband radio can support

does sprint use gsm and sims? if so, just get a locked sprint phone and stick the replacement sim in. if it's cdma i dont know what the procedure is, but it seems like "whoops i lost my phone here is the replacement, attach it to my current account pls" should be a thing they can do? idk

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Raluek posted:

"locking" refers to a phone only being usable by one carrier, it doesnt really have to do with your contract other than carriers usually lock the phone to their services until its paid off

an unlocked phone can be used with any carrier that the baseband radio can support

does sprint use gsm and sims? if so, just get a locked sprint phone and stick the replacement sim in. if it's cdma i dont know what the procedure is, but it seems like "whoops i lost my phone here is the replacement, attach it to my current account pls" should be a thing they can do? idk

holy moley thanks for this info. the guy at sprint just stonewalled me for whatever reason and was a complete rear end in a top hat so I hadn't gotten any of that information before walking out. this whole process should get much easier now that i undertwand it better. gotta try another sprint store this time tho

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Raluek posted:

sprint is cdma last i knew

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Panty Saluter posted:

sprint is cdma last i knew

they have some lte support so anything that works on verizon should theoretically work on sprint

alternately i got an unlocked att 5c to work with a verizon lte sim so ymmv

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

uncurable mlady posted:

they have some lte support so anything that works on verizon should theoretically work on sprint

alternately i got an unlocked att 5c to work with a verizon lte sim so ymmv

huh. does verizon do VoLTE?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

how do i tell a dead battery from a logic board problem? boss brought in his 17" mbp, i got it to start (to whitescreen) once on AC but otherwise mashing the power button isnt doing anything

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

the battery in a laptop is basically a standby power supply, if you're on wall AC the system is being powered directly by that and the battery is charging in parallel. a dead battery won't keep you from booting or running while tethered to the wall, you have some kind of hardware problem.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Panty Saluter posted:

huh. does verizon do VoLTE?

yes although I've found that it's kinda lovely

when you're talking to someone else with it enabled it's fantastic, super clear audio. it seems that it drops a lot if you don't have fantastic reception though. my lab is an interior room and calls cut out on volte unless I go out and stand near a window

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

how do i tell a dead battery from a logic board problem? boss brought in his 17" mbp, i got it to start (to whitescreen) once on AC but otherwise mashing the power button isnt doing anything

try an smc reset: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

the battery in a laptop is basically a standby power supply, if you're on wall AC the system is being powered directly by that and the battery is charging in parallel. a dead battery won't keep you from booting or running while tethered to the wall, you have some kind of hardware problem.
huh, but iirc mbp's require both battery power and ac power to function correctly

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

ahaha now the light on the magsafe is only very dimly lit, the battery indicator wont light up, and it wont boot at all

guess that one was the last boot

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

ahaha now the light on the magsafe is only very dimly lit, the battery indicator wont light up, and it wont boot at all

guess that one was the last boot

sounds like a dead power adapter to me

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i just bought it last week and it playsforsure on my personal mbp soo

im thinking logic board short?

tried, no joy

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

aw

yeah you have some serious issues then if it's not the power adapter and an smc reset doesn't help

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

balls. is it worth trying to find someone to replace the logic board? it IS a 17" mbp with the p sweet 1920p screen

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

balls. is it worth trying to find someone to replace the logic board? it IS a 17" mbp with the p sweet 1920p screen

17" laptops of any sort are an abomination and a 17" mbp is from 2011 at best

time for something new, especially if that mbp doesn't have an ssd

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

suck my cock reset

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

uncurable mlady posted:

yes although I've found that it's kinda lovely

when you're talking to someone else with it enabled it's fantastic, super clear audio. it seems that it drops a lot if you don't have fantastic reception though. my lab is an interior room and calls cut out on volte unless I go out and stand near a window

makes sense though

im sure LTE is running a higher modulation rate and as such is a little needier in the signal dep't

i found that google hangouts' voice quality was pretty drat fantastic but my wife thought it was super lovely on her end. maybe my lte was dropping packets but i was hearing her ok since she was on wifi at the time? idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

SO DEMANDING posted:

17" laptops of any sort are an abomination and a 17" mbp is from 2011 at best

time for something new, especially if that mbp doesn't have an ssd
fuk. oh well

wheres my 17" rmbp