Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.

Terry Glenn posted:

Carolyn has tattooed eyeliner. I'm pretty sure anyways. That's my Carolyn fact.

I noticed this, too, along with Sierra's tattooed eyebrows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DaisyDanger posted:

I noticed this, too, along with Sierra's tattooed eyebrows.

Tattooed makeup is like the most offputting thing to me. It's some uncanny valley poo poo to shave off all your actual hair and draw it back on all hosed up looking.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It's pretty dumb. Really dumb.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Didn't Mike already win this challenge?

That was holding a stick attached to a rope! This is holding a rope attached to a stick! Different.

Actually though the challenges this season have been ranging from satisfactory to great. Remember that season when they had like, reward challenges Jeff didn't even show up for? And the contestants had to set them up themselves. Harsh.

For me all the challenges have been downhill since Heroes vs. Villains, a lot of those were just on a different scale than recent seasons'.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEb040f_Ejg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_dq_gzcXa8

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

The Marionette Master.

Definitely not to be missed. Wow.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I can't work out which of these is worse :psyduck:

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Tyson was great on RHAP as usual, that guy is super sharp when it comes to Survivor. I've never heard any other player so incisively pick apart the various contestants and options and alternate strategies from past seasons off the top of his head. Can't help but contrast it with Sandra last week who I'm more and more convinced somehow stumbled her way along to two wins through sheer dumb luck/non-threatness the more I hear her talk about Survivor.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Smorgasbord posted:

Tyson was great on RHAP as usual, that guy is super sharp when it comes to Survivor. I've never heard any other player so incisively pick apart the various contestants and options and alternate strategies from past seasons off the top of his head. Can't help but contrast it with Sandra last week who I'm more and more convinced somehow stumbled her way along to two wins through sheer dumb luck/non-threatness the more I hear her talk about Survivor.

While Tyson is great on the podcast, please keep in mind that he voted himself out.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
That may also have something to do with their separate post-Survivor lives. Sandra probably took her money and went back to her life with her family. Tyson has continued to live in a reality TV world. So he must think and talk about this stuff a lot more than she does.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

oneof27 posted:

That may also have something to do with their separate post-Survivor lives. Sandra probably took her money and went back to her life with her family. Tyson has continued to live in a reality TV world. So he must think and talk about this stuff a lot more than she does.

It's quite the opposite actually. Sandra is constantly doing podcasts and web shows like Dick At Night with Evel Dick from Big Brother, RHAP, etc. Every time she opens her mouth it's cringeworthy. It's to the point where I'll actively avoid anything with her on it cause she's so terrible at talking about these shows. She's pretty much Survivor's version of Ian from Big Brother.

Tyson on the other hand kind of got dragged into doing RHAP after getting pestered by Rob for a while. He's super popular, probably the most popular guest Rob has so he gets asked back a lot. I think he watches the show a little more now, but he skipped several seasons and last I listened he would just watch an episode or two when he knew he'd be on RHAP.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Sandra thought Mike should have played his idol on Shirin and the two of them vote for Dan in the hope that Tyler and maybe someone else would vote Dan after the poo poo hit the fan. She thought this was a great plan and talked about it for about 10 minutes without the slightest grasp of where it would leave Mike the week after. Best case scenario if they correctly read Tyler and I guess Will's minds the week after of himself & Shirin with no idol against a 5 deadset against him without the potential swing of his ex-ally Dan.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 11, 2015

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Most of the best Survivor podcast "strategists" have never won a single season of the show even after multiple tries and supposedly being able to talk the talk about optimum playing. Sandra has been on multiple seasons and has won 100% of them, and is the only player in the history of the show to do so. She won her first season, unlike most of the returnee winners who need lots of tries before striking gold (Boston Rob lol), and won a season that consisted of entirely All-Stars including previous winners (unlike Boston Rob lol). So she can sound as dumb as she wants on the podcasts because only she can do this:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Was wondering how long it'd take to get a "hurf blurf TWO WINZZZZZZZZZ" threadshit. Happened quicker than I would have guessed.

Try listening to her speak sometime, it's pretty disappointing. She's not the brightest crayon in the box.

Edit: To be fair the same can be said of many, even most Survivor winners. It really exposes the insane amount of luck in Survivor hearing someone like Fabio interviewed. The editing crew do a fantastic job, but there's way less skill involved in winning Survivor or Big Brother than we'd like to believe.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 11, 2015

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
They made a good point about her second win on RHAP the other day. In an all-stars season usually a non-threatening player wins. No one thought of Amber, Sandra, Parvati or Cochrane as a big threat and that's why they were able to win. There is also the aspect that being the best strategist/analyst does not necessarily help you win, because once you are identified as such, you chances to win drop drastically. Sandra might be a natural talent at PLAYING the game, but she sucks at analyzing it.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Yeah, having a reputation for being a big strategic threat is death in a full All-Stars season. That's why I tend to think people like Stephen and Spencer are in bigger trouble than Kass and definitely more so than the Natalie Tenerelli's of the world.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Yeah, having a reputation for being a big strategic threat is death in a full All-Stars season. That's why I tend to think people like Stephen and Spencer are in bigger trouble than Kass and definitely more so than the Natalie Tenerelli's of the world.

Yup. The producers desperately wanted to give Boston Rob a win, so they stacked his tribe with a bunch of losers to give him an easy win. It was so obvious what they were doing, and it made it a very boring season.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Nihonniboku posted:

Yup. The producers desperately wanted to give Boston Rob a win, so they stacked his tribe with a bunch of losers to give him an easy win. It was so obvious what they were doing, and it made it a very boring season.

they drew tribes by blind pick though.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Poque posted:

They stacked the tribes to have one follow the returnee and the other rebel against against him. The producers probably didn't care which one got the win, but wanted to keep at least one of the "legends" until the merge.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Poque posted:

Both tribe were terrible. They wanted a Russell vs. Robb season sooooo badly that they actually made it possible to come back after being voted off (ugh Redemtion Island) and it blew up in their faces anyway.

Also, my point with my Sandra post is that most "strategic" people are actually terrible at playing the game. How long did people keep hyping the genius of Jonathan Penner only for him to not make it past mid-game ever? The most famous strategic podcasts and blogs come from two guys that have never won a single season. Max and Shirin both poo poo the bed despite the latter having really lucid observations about how the game was going whenever she had a chance to talk about it. Sandra played a really improvised style that worked because she was really good at it, and might not work for anyone else. It doesn't matter how many different ways people make up to discount her style, because it worked perfectly twice.

EDIT: Also, I'm laughing at people saying that "strategic" players are always being targeted first thing when Kim, Yul, Earl, [the list goes on] have all won the game being heavily strategic game bots.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 11, 2015

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

GaussianCopula posted:

They stacked the tribes to have one follow the returnee and the other rebel against against him. The producers probably didn't care which one got the win, but wanted to keep at least one of the "legends" until the merge.

Eh. I have to think that any tribe with enough fans isn't going to want to keep Russell around since he actively sabotages pre-merge. Rob makes himself an asset, I think he would've been fine even if he had been on the tribe with the folks who threw the challenge to dump Russ.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Also, my point with my Sandra post is that most "strategic" people are actually terrible at playing the game. How long did people keep hyping the genius of Jonathan Penner only for him to not make it past mid-game ever?

While I agree with you in principle, Penner was in pretty good shape IIRC in HvV before having to be medically evacuated. He played his first season terribly (just like Parvati) and I don't remember the circumstances of him having to play from behind in Philippines.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

BGrifter posted:

Was wondering how long it'd take to get a "hurf blurf TWO WINZZZZZZZZZ" threadshit. Happened quicker than I would have guessed.

Try listening to her speak sometime, it's pretty disappointing. She's not the brightest crayon in the box.

Edit: To be fair the same can be said of many, even most Survivor winners. It really exposes the insane amount of luck in Survivor hearing someone like Fabio interviewed. The editing crew do a fantastic job, but there's way less skill involved in winning Survivor or Big Brother than we'd like to believe.

Your post is rich, considering you love to "threadshit" in the Big Brother thread about Rachel. Don't worry, Big Brother will be back soon and you can go back to reminding everybody about her win. :)

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I hated Sandra, because I never found her edits entertaining. But I'd suspect her successes come from being relatable, likable, and friendly with her other tribe mates. No physical challenge threat, but able to connect with others and get them to trust her. That seems to me to be more like Kim, Parvati, Todd, JT, and Fabio.

The game bots do well when they're also friendly people. I don't know that I really think of Kim as a game bot, since she won challenges and actively convinced the guys they were fine, then voted them off, and did the same with Alicia and kat.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Juanito posted:

Your post is rich, considering you love to "threadshit" in the Big Brother thread about Rachel. Don't worry, Big Brother will be back soon and you can go back to reminding everybody about her win. :)

Oh come on, you'd have to be brain dead to miss that my Rachel posting in the Big Brother threads is mostly tongue-in-cheek. I call her the female Dr Will for chrissakes.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I hated Sandra, because I never found her edits entertaining. But I'd suspect her successes come from being relatable, likable, and friendly with her other tribe mates. No physical challenge threat, but able to connect with others and get them to trust her. That seems to me to be more like Kim, Parvati, Todd, JT, and Fabio.

The game bots do well when they're also friendly people. I don't know that I really think of Kim as a game bot, since she won challenges and actively convinced the guys they were fine, then voted them off, and did the same with Alicia and kat.

Sandra can and will lie right to your face at the slightest provocation, and she's good at it too. She's proof that the social game is by far the most important part of Survivor - she has no skill at challenges and isn't great at strategy.

Also I just listened to Kelly Wigglesworth's interview with RHAP and nobody should be voting for her. She's stuck in the worst mode of the early season's Survivors, in that she wants to bring back the "integrity of the game" and doesn't want alliances.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sandra is weirdly perfect for this in that she's abrasive enough that you think she's good to keep around until the end but unattached enough that she's never viewed as the kingpin. I don't think any of what makes her succeed in Survivor is intentional. She's just inherently perfect for it. She doesn't give a gently caress about anyone to seemingly invest herself in them personally so she's just kind of there until it's the end and the people around her have pissed others off by virtue of actively playing the game.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
Wigglesworth is terrible.

And agreed with whoever said Sandra is great at the game and lousy at talking about it/analyzing the games of others.

Listen to Tyson talk about the things he took from Sandra's game. I doubt there's been anyone naturally better at-making friends with people while simultaneously keeping them at odds with one another. That's the game.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Are any of the RHAP Second Chance interviews worth listening to? My podcast plate is pretty full and I'd need a second job to listen to another 30 hours of stuff.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

BGrifter posted:

Oh come on, you'd have to be brain dead to miss that my Rachel posting in the Big Brother threads is mostly tongue-in-cheek. I call her the female Dr Will for chrissakes.

Those posts crack me the gently caress up.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

Are any of the RHAP Second Chance interviews worth listening to? My podcast plate is pretty full and I'd need a second job to listen to another 30 hours of stuff.

I was just about to ask if there were any RHAP episodes that are considered must listen because I don't want to sort through years of a podcast and listen to every single one.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Victorkm posted:

Those posts crack me the gently caress up.

Thanks Victorkm. Juanito is just a humorless Sandroid.

Unlike Rachel Reilly who is actually the perfect realty game show playing robot sent from the future. Unfortunately the rigours of time travel have damaged some of her circuitry allowing other players to have a chance or she'd have won every season of Survivor and Big Brother since her arrival here on earth in 2010.

Fun fact: Brendon isn't her husband, he's her repairman also sent from the future.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

KKKLIP ART posted:

I was just about to ask if there were any RHAP episodes that are considered must listen because I don't want to sort through years of a podcast and listen to every single one.

Second chances:
Varner and Shane (Varner is loving great and everyone should vote for him.)

RHAP generally:
Tyson's last few episode recaps. Cochran's episode recap from a few seasons ago.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
I'm going to preemptively pick Wigglesworth as my poison for the next season. Her interview is just terrible and she will coast to a spot on her "first season runner up" credentials alone, which is pretty sad.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
The Fairplay podcasts are always in the love or hate category. I remember a recent one he did that was really boring, but previously Rob C got angry at him on multiple occasions for podcasting drunk or in one case having a prostitute in his hotel room while Rob was there to record an episode.

Prime Time Alex Stein (#99 always on the grind) from The Glass House was entertaining for all the wrong reasons. He'd repeatedly try (and fail) stunts to extend his 15 minutes of fame like trying to stuff a whole Big Mac in his mouth at once or railing lines of strawberry quik like its cocaine. If you ever find yourself in the mood to listen to a desperate attention starved loser act like a maniac while Rob scrambles to maintain some sense of order, Prime Time is your man.

In terms of actually good podcast guests, Dan Gheesling and Matt Hoffman come to mind from Big Brother. Richard Hatch is usually really good from the Survivor side. Shane Powers told awesome stories like the kilo of cocaine one from his season. Boston Rob and Parvati both tend to be a bit of a letdown I find, although both show flashes of brilliance at times.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Uh, Monica Padilla is so insufferable. How can you be proud about the fact that you were the key factor in the biggest travesty of a final tribal council ever and defend the idea of a bitter jury as something good?

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 11, 2015

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

GaussianCopula posted:

Uh, Monica Padilla is so insufferable. How can you be proud about the fact that you were the key factor in the biggest travesty of a final tribal council ever and defend the idea of a bitter jury as something good?

Your opinion about Samoa is objectively wrong and you should feel bad. The entire point of the jury in Survivor is that they're allowed to be bitter if they want to be, and to use whatever the gently caress criteria they want. Besides, Russell Hantz in no way shape or form deserved the million. He belittled and bullied most of the jury members. The old reality cliche is "I'm not here to make friends", but in Survivor, at least at the jury phase, you have to, to some extent, make friends.

Russell was a total poo poo, and then expected people to turn around and reward him for being a poo poo. But the jury has NO OBLIGATION to reward someone just because they had the best strategy. There's a reason obvious likability can be a liability in the endgame, and that's because people know that likability can trump strategy if the strategic player is disliked enough. AND THIS IS LEGITIMATE AND HAS BEEN PART OF THE GAME FROM THE BEGINNING. I hate your idea of what Survivor is.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Spatula City posted:

Your opinion about Samoa is objectively wrong and you should feel bad. The entire point of the jury in Survivor is that they're allowed to be bitter if they want to be, and to use whatever the gently caress criteria they want. Besides, Russell Hantz in no way shape or form deserved the million. He belittled and bullied most of the jury members. The old reality cliche is "I'm not here to make friends", but in Survivor, at least at the jury phase, you have to, to some extent, make friends.

Russell was a total poo poo, and then expected people to turn around and reward him for being a poo poo. But the jury has NO OBLIGATION to reward someone just because they had the best strategy. There's a reason obvious likability can be a liability in the endgame, and that's because people know that likability can trump strategy if the strategic player is disliked enough. AND THIS IS LEGITIMATE AND HAS BEEN PART OF THE GAME FROM THE BEGINNING. I hate your idea of what Survivor is.

Well, Monica's version of the events is very different. According to her, she told Russel "if you vote me out tonight, I will make sure that you are not going to win" and was than voted out, which led her to campaign hard in Ponderosa and turn them against Russel. The only "dickish" thing she had to say about Russel was the fact that he was confident when he voted her out instead of making a big show of how sorry he felt.

If you want to support bitter jury's that get us winners like Fabio and Natalie White and discourage people from playing aggressively, please vote for her.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

GaussianCopula posted:

Well, Monica's version of the events is very different. According to her, she told Russel "if you vote me out tonight, I will make sure that you are not going to win" and was than voted out, which led her to campaign hard in Ponderosa and turn them against Russel. The only "dickish" thing she had to say about Russel was the fact that he was confident when he voted her out instead of making a big show of how sorry he felt.

If you want to support bitter jury's that get us winners like Fabio and Natalie White and discourage people from playing aggressively, please vote for her.

are you a for-real chase/russell fan

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Not too different from Russell's version, tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqXNqpaur-4&t=37s

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Poque posted:

are you a for-real chase/russell fan

I never finished watching Nicaragua, because it was to terrible but I believe that Russel was an integral part of two of the best seasons of Survivor and gave the game a much needed shot in the arm. While I understand the Heroes voting for Sandra instead of Parv/Russel in HvV based on likeability (there are reports that Russel really went of the deep end after close to 80 days on the beach) it seems like Samoa was a bunch of sour pusses voting against Russel to spite him while Natalie did nothing to deserve the win.

But everyone can decide that for themselves and vote accordingly.

• Locked thread