Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Hellsau posted:

Everyone who plays this game would prefer +1/-1 matchmaking, because easing the variance makes the players happy. Unfortunately the M4 Sherman is a tier 5 and the Tiger 1 is a tier 7, so we can never have +1/-1 matchmaking.

I always found that hilarious, especially back before patch 8.8 (lol WG nazis) where the Tiger was buffed from being the worst t7 heavy to being roughly on par with the T29. The Tiger had an unhistorical engine and an unhistorical gun, and without those it would have fit comfortably as a tier 6 rather than as an awkward soft t7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

But that would have meant telling the Wehraboos the Tiger was historically inferior to the IS

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Magres posted:

Honestly, generally the weak spots are lower front plates, the cheeks of turrets, cupolas (bumps on top of turrets) or anything that isn't a perfectly smooth sheet of metal. If it looks funny, shoot the gently caress out of it. I don't memorize weakspots and while I'm not super great at the game, I'm good and my failings aren't a lack of knowing where to shoot tanks (it's more that my ability to read games isn't great, and in my quest to not die stupidly 30s into the game I play overly cautious).

FWIW you can shoot through the front of a Maus on a good (flat) shot with most Tier 8 guns if you load gold (shoot the little flat flaps hanging down in front of his tracks, iirc). Packing a healthy amount of gold (I'm gold-phobic because I'm always broke as gently caress on credits, so I pack like 3:1 silver ammo: gold ammo) is pretty much a requirement of playing well, because you need ways to overcome higher tier tanks that have lots of armor.

Also, don't be afraid to run away. It's super annoying to have to repeatedly run from fights in a slow heavy, but it's better than flailing ineffectually against something's armor. If I'm bottom tier in a game, I tend to try to go to the spot where pub mediums generally go, you'll be able to slice through the sides of most mediums no problem.
i totally agree with everything you've said, once i started doing the things you and other people in this thread described, i became way more productive. however when im matched against tier9/10 teams, it seems to me like you could play a t-44(the tank i play) perfectly - take as few risks as possible, engage in only the most favorable encounters, spot enemy traffic, and still ultimately amount to very little value. im also bad though, so there's that

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Never thought I'd get a mastery badge in my awfulpanther because I'm terrible in it, but the RNG decided it wasn't gonna let me down.

http://wotreplays.com/site/1867930?secret=49f1946777e4532dbd911a7230a23b76

Somehow bounced 1400 damage allowing me to live long enough to kill things.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

ROFLburger posted:

i totally agree with everything you've said, once i started doing the things you and other people in this thread described, i became way more productive. however when im matched against tier9/10 teams, it seems to me like you could play a t-44(the tank i play) perfectly - take as few risks as possible, engage in only the most favorable encounters, spot enemy traffic, and still ultimately amount to very little value. im also bad though, so there's that

Some games you cannot effect in any way. If the game is being won in the southern strip on Hidden Village while the enemy TDs just sit and camp doing nothing but preventing some lower tier tanks from flanking while their teammate die, then congrats you get a nice 800 damage win. You can't afford to fight tier ten heavies face to face, you can't take four TD shots moving in close, and you can't go all the way around because those same TDs will hit you, so you get to wait while one team wins the brawl and let you help them cleanup.

Wins or losses are all the same, some games are unchangeable due to the playerbase being so awful and cowardly. You go one way with a couple mates, and twelve of you teammates go the other way. Maybe the enemy team has ten dudes on your side and you hold them at bay for a while and you 12 teammates somehow all die to the vastly inferior enemy force - maybe you can farm damage but you can't turn it around. Maybe you went on the twelve person side and the entire enemy team rushes your team's weak force one by one and lose 15-0, giving you nothing to show for it. There is a limit on how high or low your winrate can be even taking as much precaution as possible to platoon with two highly skilled players and either win as many games or throw as many games as possible - eventually you'll be on or against a team that openly doesn't want to win. If the lowest a winrate you can get is ~30% and the highest you can get is ~75%, that is a good fifty percent of games on which you have absolutely no impact on the outcome.

gently caress pubbies. Try to win from the start always, but if the game is looking like a disaster and you have no actual human beings on your team that you should sympathize with, focus on farming damage and kills just to get more XP and credits. Might as well get something out of the lovely experience. Note that I'm extremely suspicious that rushing in to farm damage or kills in what looks like a surefire easy win is the reason a lot of ridiculous losses happen, so if it looks like an easy win just be aware that you acting like a shithead is liable to turn you into a shithead. Don't throw away 1200 HP to deal 240 damage unless there are ten of your teammates with their guns already on the last two enemies.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

ROFLburger posted:

The T-44 is one of the few tier8 tanks that works perfectly OK in tier10 games (along with ISU-152 and AMX 50 100). You are nimble with decent came and can basically be played as a scout.

Magres posted:

Just tighten it up to +1/-2 at Tier 8. Suddenly preferential MM isn't a thing you have to worry about, and Tier 8 isn't a fun-sucking black hole of crap. Wargaming accomplishes their goal of phasing out preferential MM in one neat move and makes their playerbase happy. I'd probably go whip a hundred bucks out of my next paycheck at them just to celebrate.

There are enough strong as hell Tier 6s (HELLOOOOO CROMWELL) that I don't even care about the prospect of being bottom tier constantly at tier 6. Tier 6 also doesn't take that long to get through.

If you don't have a pref8 in your garage, now is the time to get one before they are all removed from the store. The FCM50t and IS-6 are the best alternatives for carrying if one doesn't have a Type59 or KV-5.
Pref8 MM is pretty relaxing especially in a toon and you can expect to carry most of your games.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Cardiac posted:

The T-44 is one of the few tier8 tanks that works perfectly OK in tier10 games (along with ISU-152 and AMX 50 100). You are nimble with decent came and can basically be played as a scout.

If you don't have a pref8 in your garage, now is the time to get one before they are all removed from the store. The FCM50t and IS-6 are the best alternatives for carrying if one doesn't have a Type59 or KV-5.
Pref8 MM is pretty relaxing especially in a toon and you can expect to carry most of your games.

Triple Type platoons with good people are godly. Pubs will flail ineffectually at your turret, and with three Types you can easily machinegun down any plebeians who try to rebel against the typistocracy and fling gold at you.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Barring explicitly working against your team you'll have a 43% WR baseline. This is what afk players get - it's a bit complicated at t10 because afk t10s and t9s to some extent are always afk top tiers, so they get slightly lower - and without actively hampering your team you'll get that. That's 43% of your games that you can win with no action other than pushing the battle button. Players who have lower WR's than this actively hamper their team or at least platoon a lot with other super bad players; one player can't get below 43% without working against his team but three players who don't contribute are a lot of dead weight, especially at t10. This is why you see those 35-40% E-100 and IS-7 platoons.

I don't have hard numbers on this and it would be hard to find any, but outside of specific OP tanks I'd say the limit to what one great player can do solopubbing is somewhere around 63-65%. This is assuming an average tank; if they're a great player but they only play the 4005 they're still going to struggle because it's irredeemable. If they play something OP like the IIJ they can actually reach 75-80% WRs solopubbing, and even at the higher tiers some tanks can influence a battle more.

You are not going to win every game. Even the best players in platoons with each other still lose somewhere between 1/3 and 1/4 of their games - those aren't long odds at all. For a single player about 33% of the games are simply unwinnable. Focus on doing well in an "honest" way (as in not deliberately padding damage in a way that doesn't help your team) and the wins will follow.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon

NTRabbit posted:

Long overdue nerf to the powerhouse 113

are they loving joking

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Desuwa posted:

I don't have hard numbers on this and it would be hard to find any, but outside of specific OP tanks I'd say the limit to what one great player can do solopubbing is somewhere around 63-65%. This is assuming an average tank; if they're a great player but they only play the 4005 they're still going to struggle because it's irredeemable. If they play something OP like the IIJ they can actually reach 75-80% WRs solopubbing, and even at the higher tiers some tanks can influence a battle more.

Ie Zakaladas on NA is your example.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Desuwa posted:

Barring explicitly working against your team you'll have a 43% WR baseline. This is what afk players get - it's a bit complicated at t10 because afk t10s and t9s to some extent are always afk top tiers, so they get slightly lower - and without actively hampering your team you'll get that. That's 43% of your games that you can win with no action other than pushing the battle button. Players who have lower WR's than this actively hamper their team or at least platoon a lot with other super bad players; one player can't get below 43% without working against his team but three players who don't contribute are a lot of dead weight, especially at t10. This is why you see those 35-40% E-100 and IS-7 platoons.

You are not going to win every game. Even the best players in platoons with each other still lose somewhere between 1/3 and 1/4 of their games - those aren't long odds at all. For a single player about 33% of the games are simply unwinnable. Focus on doing well in an "honest" way (as in not deliberately padding damage in a way that doesn't help your team) and the wins will follow.

Out of curiosity, what would you call padding damage in a way that doesn't help your team? I'd take even chai sniping over some of the poo poo I see pubbies do - playing peekaboom with a roomba in a comet, for example, and trading shots one for one.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Sitting in the back until the game is decided and then finally farming damage, when your active participation could have actually impacted the game. You see people with 1300-1700 WN8 and less than 50% WR and it is a guarantee that is what they will do.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Magres posted:

Out of curiosity, what would you call padding damage in a way that doesn't help your team? I'd take even chai sniping over some of the poo poo I see pubbies do - playing peekaboom with a roomba in a comet, for example, and trading shots one for one.

CHAI sniping is basically it, you end up with stats way out of line compared to your contribution to the battle. CHAI snipers are still a lot better than the average pubbie, sure, but their average damage/WN8 is usually a few "tiers" above their winrate.

That's not really to say all sniping is bad either. Sometimes your pubbies are just going to suicide into the enemy and there's no reason to risk yourself when you have shots anyway. Your health is worth much more than their health so HP sharing isn't really something you want to have a habit of doing with pubbies.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Desuwa posted:

I fairly regularly solo the 113 around 64-5% because it's way underrated

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

Atal Vataman posted:

are they loving joking

With any luck they'll quietly put this to bed like the planned T10 med APCR nerfs recently. Just another example of WG trying to pander to the hordes of whiny subhumans known as heavy tank drivers.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

rossmum posted:

With any luck they'll quietly put this to bed like the planned T10 med APCR nerfs recently. Just another example of WG trying to pander to the hordes of whiny subhumans known as heavy tank drivers.

You'll be glad to know that in warboats, high-tier battleship drivers are whiny fucks there too, screaming about how a destroyer can sink them because they traveled in a straight line and completely ignored everything around them. They also scream when you manage to sink them when you are in a battleship 3 tiers lower than them, owing to them traveling in a straight line and giving no fucks to what is around them. They really should award negative XP for poo poo play, IMO.

E: They're also nerfing armor pen in warboats too, basically you either pen with your armor piercing shells, or they bounce and you do 0 damage. With WG's wonderful armor modelling, AP is going to be loving worthless.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 11, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

rossmum posted:

quote:

- Storm confirms that the leaked supertest penetration nerfs are legit, he adds that these are internal tests, not a release version. He however confirms that penetration nerf will come one way or another

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

orange juche posted:

You'll be glad to know that in warboats, high-tier battleship drivers are whiny fucks there too, screaming about how a destroyer can sink them because they traveled in a straight line and completely ignored everything around them. They also scream when you manage to sink them when you are in a battleship 3 tiers lower than them, owing to them traveling in a straight line and giving no fucks to what is around them. They really should award negative XP for poo poo play, IMO.

E: They're also nerfing armor pen in warboats too, basically you either pen with your armor piercing shells, or they bounce and you do 0 damage. With WG's wonderful armor modelling, AP is going to be loving worthless.

I'm aware how bad BB drivers are. I'm not sure if you were in alpha but their combined entitled howling got the Shimakaze absolutely loving destroyed, turning it from a fragile 40kt Type 93 dispenser into a 30kt piece of poo poo. WG smartly reverted it to its original state for the beta and it was not spoken of again. Cruiser drivers run a close second, or actually one cruiser driver specifically. If you ever see Pax_Ottomana ingame, remind them of their proper place in the world by sending them on an undersea vacation.

This doesn't reassure me.

I really wish they'd nerf the poo poo out of heavies just to give the kind of scum that drives them exclusively and posts on the forums about it something real to cry about.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Desuwa posted:

I always found that hilarious, especially back before patch 8.8 (lol WG nazis) where the Tiger was buffed from being the worst t7 heavy to being roughly on par with the T29. The Tiger had an unhistorical engine and an unhistorical gun, and without those it would have fit comfortably as a tier 6 rather than as an awkward soft t7.

Don't forget the magic non-historically thick armour.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Tiger has the same armour as it has historically, though. 100mm@10 degrees. The turret armour layers may be a little different though, I'm not knowledgeable enough about that.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
My understanding was that in-game it had a 'hidden' thickness compared to what it claimed in the garage. Maybe I'm wrong or it's outdated information. There's a couple of years post-beta that I wasn't following the game.

WayAbvPar posted:

Sitting in the back until the game is decided and then finally farming damage, when your active participation could have actually impacted the game. You see people with 1300-1700 WN8 and less than 50% WR and it is a guarantee that is what they will do.

A perfect example of this was a top tier IS-6 on Malinovka last night. He won the team for damage, but had no kills. And because he was sniping from behind the church the enemy IS-6 was able to brute force the hill open, because the enemy wasn't just using his gun, he was using his armour and mobility to push our team back.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 11, 2015

srb
Jul 24, 2007
I believe they, at one point, had an "armor quality modifier" but it was canned out of the client before the beta started. Essentially, certain tanks would have KRUPP STAHL and others would have Chinese pot-pan steel.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Ah okay, that'll be it. This is the problem with playing beta, getting bored, and then not coming back properly until this year. Lots of hazy inaccurate memories.

That and being poo poo at the game.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
If you're getting a new player into the game recommend they go the Soviet ISU or the Rhm Borsig tier 8 route on at least one of their tanks. Having a tank that will do well no matter what game its in helps soften the rage quit tier that is 8.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

srb posted:

I believe they, at one point, had an "armor quality modifier" but it was canned out of the client before the beta started. Essentially, certain tanks would have KRUPP STAHL and others would have Chinese pot-pan steel.

Adding lovely German steel quality to the game would be weird without the self-lighting engines. Best keep it arcadey and simple.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Prav posted:

I bought two high-tier nazi box tanks today. I make poor decisions.

Nazi Box Tanks are the best. E100 best E.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Saint Celestine posted:

Nazi Box Tanks are the best. E100 best E.

About half way to the E75, if the E100 is anywhere close to as much fun as the Failowe I know I will love it.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Mesadoram posted:

About half way to the E75, if the E100 is anywhere close to as much fun as the Failowe I know I will love it.

If you play it properly, E100 is ridiculous. Nothing like bitch-slapping people for 750 and bouncing everything in return. HEAT will go through E100 turret faces, JPZ casemates, anything that you will face frontally. I think i have the best E100 on the NA server too, thats how much I love that giant fascist rolling box.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Saint Celestine posted:

If you play it properly, E100 is ridiculous. Nothing like bitch-slapping people for 750 and bouncing everything in return. HEAT will go through E100 turret faces, JPZ casemates, anything that you will face frontally. I think i have the best E100 on the NA server too, thats how much I love that giant fascist rolling box.

Thanks for the morale support 2nd banana.

When I finally get the E100 we should marathon it to get you that #1 position.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

srb posted:

The T32 was glorious in beta when it had an extra ~10% armor.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Desuwa posted:

Barring explicitly working against your team you'll have a 43% WR baseline.

I had 130+ games in the AMX 1375 at a 41% WR. I honestly wasn't shooting teammates or afk'ing or anything really dumb (I don't think). Teams just seemed to die around me. I wasn't sure what I was doing as I know RNG isn't that cruel and really should have been near 48% even if I just suicide scouted every match. I finally realized that the mere act of hitting battle was putting my teams at a disadvantage and free exp'd the remaining 40k exp to the 1390.

On a unrelated note, the Crom B is fantastic. It may not get pref mm, but it can carry when it's a high tier and scout when it's low. After I figured out how to drive it I don't think I've had a bad match.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

TracerM17 posted:

I had 130+ games in the AMX 1375 at a 41% WR. I honestly wasn't shooting teammates or afk'ing or anything really dumb (I don't think). Teams just seemed to die around me. I wasn't sure what I was doing as I know RNG isn't that cruel and really should have been near 48% even if I just suicide scouted every match. I finally realized that the mere act of hitting battle was putting my teams at a disadvantage and free exp'd the remaining 40k exp to the 1390.

I've done real bad in real good tanks, granted those were the days when I first started playing and have not touched them since. But still...

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

I played the Lorraine as my second line ever (when I was even worse than I am now) right after they up tiered it and nerfed the gently caress out of it. 317 games, 41% WR :negative:

Next On Track to the Bat Chat I think I will buy it again and try to repair some of that damage.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Mesadoram posted:

Thanks for the morale support 2nd banana.

When I finally get the E100 we should marathon it to get you that #1 position.

Not win rate, but per vehicle efficiency (xTe).

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

maev posted:

If you're getting a new player into the game recommend they go the Soviet ISU or the Rhm Borsig tier 8 route on at least one of their tanks. Having a tank that will do well no matter what game its in helps soften the rage quit tier that is 8.

I'm not sure I'd recommend the death toaster and st emil to a new player wanting a fun experience

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

TracerM17 posted:

You can actually hurt your chances to win as a scout if your team is super atrocious. If you spot enemy tanks and keep them spotted, a certain type of shitter will think that they themselves spotted that enemy and therefore I'd they shoot at it, they will get spotted and shot back, so your lovely teammates will hide from those spotted enemy tanks and do nothing while the enemies you're spotting walk up and murder your competent teammates.

This has been bad player theory with Hellsau, about bad players by a bad player.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
There is also the danger on some maps that if you spot the enemy almost right after the battle starts, the entire team will stop moving and fire widely in the direction of the enemy, stalling your team while the enemy team gets into the best positions.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Rincewinds posted:

There is also the danger on some maps that if you spot the enemy almost right after the battle starts, the entire team will stop moving and fire widely in the direction of the enemy, stalling your team while the enemy team gets into the best positions.

This is the Malinovka effect. I don't do an early spot run in lights there unless my team is non-poo poo because otherwise they will all sit in base and give the hill away.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Azhais posted:

I'm not sure I'd recommend the death toaster and st emil to a new player wanting a fun experience
I took advantage of last weekend's gold->free exp conversion bonus and skipped the Nashorn and the St. Emil. I played through the toaster, and that was enough for me.

I mostly hate turretless TDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Rincewinds posted:

The new low tier map is especially hilarious since anything that has binocs will spot the entire enemy team as soon as it starts.