Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

If you want to kill the guy, get a Svipul with combat probes. You know exactly what grid he's on, so you drop probes from off Dscan, probe him down, then warp on top of him because he can't run his MWD permanently.
By the time the MWD caps out the entosis link has cycled and he cloaks up.

But the rest is accurate, how many people really want to fit an expensive T3 just to do a space prank equivalent to ringing the doorbell and running away? These gimmick fits can't fight anything and have to run away as soon as someone enters local because they can get owned by a lone recon.

I'm much more worried about the lowsec and wormhole guys that have been asking for years "why can't small gang do anything to hurt big sov owners?" Now they have the ability and they really don't have to risk much of anything to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.
Why I start to see more and more H1Z1 analogy in new sov system? All that multi-server (multi-system) conception of defending your space and reinforcing your node which is under attack. Now I feel like everything we trained to do in H1Z1 was training before doing same things in eve?

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Troll gangs from lowsec and especially wh space will became probably the biggest threat to sov, much more then any kind of NC/PL/BL supers that are far away and cannot travel around space.

I can definitely see a suicide meat squadron of t1 frigates that will just roam in all the systems and hit all the possible structures. By the time you have popped them, all of them have reshipped and are already there again. Wh connections between null areas will be quite dangerous

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Major Spag posted:

That was your first mistake. Unless you know a guy or go to an actual restaurant, you're not going to get anything decent.

That's like saying "I picked up some Vandeecamp 'English style fish and chips'" and then writing off any and all fried fish from England.

I don't know about American brand or whatever but when you get ribs without sauce the best solution is to put sauce on them, cook them and eat them. The real secret to making good, tender ribs is that you get fresh ones from the butcher, then boil them to tenderize the otherwise relatively tough meat before they go anywhere near a barbeque. Alternatively you can roast them in foil to maintain moisture but I find the boiled ones taste better; probably just what I'm used to. Perhaps the ones you bought were just pre-boiled?

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Kalenn Istarion posted:

The real secret to making good, tender ribs is that you get fresh ones from the butcher, then boil them

W..what

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
I don't even I can't understa what the gently caress

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I don't know about American brand or whatever but when you get ribs without sauce the best solution is to put sauce on them, cook them and eat them. The real secret to making good, tender ribs is that you get fresh ones from the butcher, then boil them to tenderize the otherwise relatively tough meat before they go anywhere near a barbeque. Alternatively you can roast them in foil to maintain moisture but I find the boiled ones taste better; probably just what I'm used to. Perhaps the ones you bought were just pre-boiled?

I think my mistake was assuming they had BBQ sauce in the box, but it looked supremely unappetizing.

In other news I went by the butcher and...

I'm using the foil method.

EVE related: The guys in food jabber are really cool and helpful and you guys should hang out there.

Edit:

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

I don't even I can't understa what the gently caress

I mean, I get it. You boil to tenderize and then you can get away with grilling for a shorter period and searing the meat at a high heat. But I'm not particularly fond of boiling meat either, my dad does it and every time I just feel like he robbed me of a perfectly good roast.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 11, 2015

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Now it's a good thread.

goodness fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 11, 2015

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm using the foil method.

I mean, I get it. You boil to tenderize and then you can get away with grilling for a shorter period and searing the meat at a high heat. But I'm not particularly fond of boiling meat either, my dad does it and every time I just feel like he robbed me of a perfectly good roast.

The foil method is the way to go. Boiling just steals any good flavor from the ribs.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Yeah, I can't do the boil thing. A good rub and smothered with homemade bbq sauce, then in the pan foiled and cooked at a low temp for right about 8 hours. Keeps the flavor, falls off the bone.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

RattiRatto posted:

Troll gangs from lowsec and especially wh space will became probably the biggest threat to sov, much more then any kind of NC/PL/BL supers that are far away and cannot travel around space.

I can definitely see a suicide meat squadron of t1 frigates that will just roam in all the systems and hit all the possible structures. By the time you have popped them, all of them have reshipped and are already there again. Wh connections between null areas will be quite dangerous

WH and losec dudes cant be assed to do anything that doesnt involve killmails, preferably safe and easy ganks with little risk. They dont give a poo poo about anybodys sov.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Demiurge4 posted:

you're boiling off a ton of the flavor is what you're doing, it's not like you have to really sit and watch your 'que the whole time

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Yeah low and slow is the way to go with ribs, as with most meat that isn't sear-sear-serve.

I think the last time I did side ribs it was like four to six hours at 200-something covered in bbq sauce, re-basting with the bbq every half hour or so

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Don't discount dry ribs, they own hard. I like sauce too, but drat, the Memphis style is soooo good.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Dry ribs sounds less messy to eat, so I like that idea.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
After watching Men vs Food in which he goes to Memphis to eat ribs, I honest to god started planning a vacation to memphis just for those ribs.

gently caress now I want ribs.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Place near work does half a rack of dry ribs for $10, shits good.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I made bbq ribs on my own for the first time this weekend. I baked them with only garlic cloves for an hour and 45 mins, then put a dry rub on them and stored them in the fridge overnight. I took them out last night and brushed on the bbq sauce and finished them on the grill for about 15 mins. They were really good and very tender.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Kalenn Istarion posted:

The real secret to making good, tender ribs is that you get fresh ones from the butcher, then boil them to tenderize the otherwise relatively tough meat before they go anywhere near a barbeque.

This statement makes me irrationally angry. I weep for all of you poor Euro bastards that have no clue what actual, good, honest to god BBQ is. It should really only involve a few very basic things. Meat, real hardwood smoke, and lots of time. A light handed approach to seasonings/rubs is acceptable, so long as their flavor profiles are complimentary to whatever meat it is you are BBQing. Sauces are a very regional thing, and can be wonderful if done right, but those are best left to people that know what they are doing.

This is a brisket I made this weekend. It was literally only a beef brisket, a ever so light slathering of hot sauce to help the rub stick, and the rub, which is just sea salt and coarsely ground Telicherry black peppercorns. Smoked over oak and mesquite wood.

Huge_Midget fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 11, 2015

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I feel bad for any of the J4Gs who try to join 9 months from now having to read through the first 20 pages with a growling stomach and no food in the fridge at 3am, trying to figure out the secret to goons.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Huge_Midget posted:

Sauces are a very regional thing.

Hell, we have 3-4 kinds of sauces in my state alone depending on what part of the state you're in.

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 11, 2015

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Otacon posted:

I feel bad for any of the J4Gs who try to join 9 months from now having to read through the first 20 pages with a growling stomach and no food in the fridge at 3am, trying to figure out the secret to goons.

J4Gs don't read the thread silly

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Otacon posted:

The secret to Goonwaffe's heart is through goon stomachs.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Instead of posting a thread in FYAD, make them post a recipe in Goons w/ Spoons.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
I've mostly given up on slow cookers. "Throw it all in the crockpot and forget it for 8 hours" loses so much flavor because of lack of carmelization. Once you're turning on the stove to sear the meat, you might as well just use a pressure cooker.

Low-and-slow on a grill is another thing entirely, and I completely agree on dry ribs (as well as proper Memphis-style pulled pork).

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Borachon posted:

I've mostly given up on slow cookers. "Throw it all in the crockpot and forget it for 8 hours" loses so much flavor because of lack of carmelization. Once you're turning on the stove to sear the meat, you might as well just use a pressure cooker.

Low-and-slow on a grill is another thing entirely, and I completely agree on dry ribs (as well as proper Memphis-style pulled pork).

There's something to be said for 'throw poo poo in slow cooker - eat it that night', especially if you have kids. It might not be the tastiest but the effort-nutrition ratio is pretty hard to beat.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Huge_Midget posted:

This statement makes me irrationally angry. I weep for all of you poor Euro bastards that have no clue what actual, good, honest to god BBQ is. It should really only involve a few very basic things. Meat, real hardwood smoke, and lots of time. A light handed approach to seasonings/rubs is acceptable, so long as their flavor profiles are complimentary to whatever meat it is you are BBQing. Sauces are a very regional thing, and can be wonderful if done right, but those are best left to people that know what they are doing.

This is a brisket I made this weekend. It was literally only a beef brisket, a ever so light slathering of hot sauce to help the rub stick, and the rub, which is just sea salt and coarsely ground Telicherry black peppercorns. Smoked over oak and mesquite wood.

I'm not a Euro but boiling for rib prep is how I grew up. I have since been educated in an oh so tender fashion by deadtear. Doesn't change the fact that boiling is quicker / easier when you have kids to feed, but I agree you can get a better result with the :effort: method.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Borachon posted:

That's why you sear the neat before putting it in the slow cooker.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
My sister boils her ribs then slathers them in bbq sauce. Everyone compliments her on how tender they are and it's all I can do not to very pointedly explain everything wrong about boiling meat.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

goodness posted:

so you didn't read his post then

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
I'm an above average pickler of eggs. Any high fives for that in this meat wank of a thread?

I make some mean pickled eggs.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Huge_Midget posted:

That's a nice piece of meat. I usually don't BBQ things like that though and instead I season with salt and rosemary, poke some garlic into the meat and put a little bit of butter over and roast for about 45 minutes total. It can be tricky getting it proper red sometimes but I've gotten the hang of it.

This is my last food related post, I promise. My first ribs came out wonderfully. Special thanks to Johann for cooking tips.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dear everyone, stop boiling meat. Thank you.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Zephyrine posted:

I'm an above average pickler of eggs. Any high fives for that in this meat wank of a thread?

So what you're really saying here is that you're an enabler of potent farts.

:hfive:

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

goodness posted:

Again, once I've turned on the stove, I'll sear it in the pressure cooker vessel, not lose any of the fond from the pressure cooker, and have it done in 45 minutes. Searing, deglazing, and transferring it all to the slow cooker is *more* effort.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Eve Online 2015: Enabling Potent Farts

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

so you didn't read his post then

I did, his complaint is not good. Taking a a couple minutes to sear the meat is not that much trouble.

Borachon posted:

Again, once I've turned on the stove, I'll sear it in the pressure cooker vessel, not lose any of the fond from the pressure cooker, and have it done in 45 minutes. Searing, deglazing, and transferring it all to the slow cooker is *more* effort.

If you have the time to do that then there wouldn't be a point to consider the slow cooker. Thats more for cooking while you are busy all day.

goodness fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 11, 2015

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Mother loving BBCrew rides again.

--

Also, seriously considering taking this thing out with a head full of snakes and some Strong Crash.

code:
[Tengu, wait what ham]
Ballistic Control System II
Nanofiber Internal Structure II

Experimental 10MN Microwarpdrive I
Faint Epsilon Warp Scrambler I
Fleeting Propulsion Inhibitor I
Fleeting Propulsion Inhibitor I
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II

Polarized Heavy Assault Missile Launcher, Scourge Rage Heavy Assault Missile

Medium Core Defense Field Extender II

Tengu Defensive - Supplemental Screening
Tengu Electronics - Emergent Locus Analyzer
Tengu Engineering - Capacitor Regeneration Matrix
Tengu Offensive - Accelerated Ejection Bay
Tengu Propulsion - Intercalated Nanofibers

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Zephyrine posted:

:hfive:

But they have to be pheasant eggs because those are the right size for snacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Zephyrine posted:

I pickle mine sour, with dill and beet.

• Locked thread