Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Jesus christ, I'm playing Going Down for the first time, and I'm also using BD v19, and it's a full-on mix of :stare: and :black101:

With a little bit of :getin: and :clint: in there, too.

EDIT: Rip and tear all the way down to accounting!!

Going Down can get very hard and very tightly-designed but every map of it is worth playing. If you hit a wall, please try to go without brutal doom instead of giving up on it like I've seen other people do - it's a really incredible wad in terms of design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
So I finished up the new Shadow Warrior yesterday, and its like playing Demonsteele (:swoon:) with a sarcastic buddy and gorgeous graphics. :haw:

What i want to know now is, between this, Demonsteele and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (kinda), is there anymore FPS's with really good melee combat?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Thyrork posted:

So I finished up the new Shadow Warrior yesterday, and its like playing Demonsteele (:swoon:) with a sarcastic buddy and gorgeous graphics. :haw:

What i want to know now is, between this, Demonsteele and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (kinda), is there anymore FPS's with really good melee combat?

Chronicles of Riddick is good for first person melee, although I found the actual game pretty boring after the first few hours.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Thyrork posted:

Necrovision.

Kick a Scottish zombie in the head, shoot him with a flair gun and blow his head up with a spiked mace.

Take out your vampire gantlet and cut everything in your vicinity into ribbons while shooting fireballs at your feet.

Did I mention you can jump kick people in the face while doing the above?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I don't know if they patched Necrovision, but that game used to be really buggy and overheated lots of cards when it got released. I got bored of it when you became a vampire.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

You know... say what you will about Brutal Doom, but I appreciate the fact that enemies aren't as bullet-spongey as the vanilla game. Taking down a Baron with the starter rifle is awesome.

Feats of Strength
Feb 9, 2012

Man, If god told me to sacrifice my son I'd tell
him to fuck off.
Did anyone play the HL mod Ricochet?

I had a 4 way Lan setup in about 2001 and remember spending hours playing that with friends, one of the funnest Frisbee based games, actually the only Frisbee based game i've ever played. I never understood what the back story was mean't to be to it apart from a bunch of dudes jumping around space trying to knock each other off floating discs with smaller discs.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Ricochet is a fun time killer and LAN party game. It's not deep, but it is enterntaining and fun. I don't get why people rag on it so much.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

closeted republican posted:

Ricochet is a fun time killer and LAN party game. It's not deep, but it is enterntaining and fun. I don't get why people rag on it so much.

It's just more of an in joke than anything else. People ask Valve for a new Ricochet game like the way people ask Epic for a new Jazz Jackrabbit.

... :smith:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Segmentation Fault posted:

It's just more of an in joke than anything else. People ask Valve for a new Ricochet game like the way people ask Epic for a new Jazz Jackrabbit.

... :smith:

Valve is having a hard enough time with Half-Life Episode 3 to even think about Ricochet 2.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

BattleMaster posted:

Valve is having a hard enough time with Half-Life Episode 3 to even think about Ricochet 2.

I think at this point we know episode 3 is never going to happen :smith:

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
And the worst part is that they're just going to keep stringing us along for the next decade without just admitting it because that would be bad for business if they had to admit that one of their most highly anticipated titles is never actually coming.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shadow Hog posted:

This just reminds me that I kind of hope they get Michael Shapiro to do the G-Man's voice proper for the ending, instead of using their Shapiro-soundalike like they got for the security guards. We can at least handwave those by asserting that they're not the Barney Calhoun that shows up in Half-Life 2, since he's busy going through Blue Shift; no such luck for the G-Man.

It's not like Valve is averse to getting the official VAs to do lines for mods, going by some Left 4 Dead 2 fan campaigns.
The developers have mentioned in their Reddit AMA thing that the G-Man will be done by their Barney sound-alike (who also does the HEV suit voice?!).

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

And the worst part is that they're just going to keep stringing us along for the next decade without just admitting it because that would be bad for business if they had to admit that one of their most highly anticipated titles is never actually coming.
There's been enough leaks over the past few years that imply that it's still in some form of development, but that Left 4 Dead 3 has taken priority. I suspect it's been in a TF2-style start-stop-restart state in the background ever since Episode 2 shipped.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So if I buy Black Mesa on Steam I am essentially spending 20 bucks for the promise of there someday being Xen levels?

I have never paid the free mode before, and was considering just buying early access.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Maybe try the free demo mod first. It's fun, but it's also pretty different from regular Half-Life.

The most noticeable thing is that everyone is squishy as gently caress, including you, while the original game had everyone be massive bullet sponges.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Are they actually "stringing people along"? When's the last time they actually mentioned it in any detail?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

So if I buy Black Mesa on Steam I am essentially spending 20 bucks for the promise of there someday being Xen levels?

I have never paid the free mode before, and was considering just buying early access.
You get a bunch of tweaks and improvements to the existing stuff from the free mod, multiplayer mode and some modding stuff.

Xen is apparently redesigned, fully planned out and has a development schedule, but they're not quite ready to publicly promise a date yet. It will never come to the free mod version because it requires engine improvements to make organic environments not look like arse, and they don't have source code access to Source 2007.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Are they actually "stringing people along"? When's the last time they actually mentioned it in any detail?

It's called "playing coy". Valve knows people are very, very interested in any news of a Halflife sequel (one way or another) and they refuse to say anything that sounds remotely committal, but they'll drop bits and pieces of info every now and then. Remember the interview Gabe did where he talked about Ricochet 2?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Kins posted:

There's been enough leaks over the past few years that imply that it's still in some form of development, but that Left 4 Dead 3 has taken priority. I suspect it's been in a TF2-style start-stop-restart state in the background ever since Episode 2 shipped.
I'd take L4D3 over the whole lot of nothing they've been doing for some time now.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I truly think they are still working on it in some capacity, but with steam making them a ton of money, and valve being structured the way it is it will totally be a "when it's done its done" sort of thing. Half-life and Half-life 2 both broke a lot of new ground when they were released. I think they are going to make sure Half-life 3 will bring something new to the table.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I've been rewatching Lowtax's gaming youtubes and some of these games really recreate the early part of the whole early fps thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVsG6rVfFys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyFBaiD-O4Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I0sbThXE0U

I like how they're all too poorly programmed to actually have working ammo counts.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Maybe we should go further back and mix shooters with old school western and eastern dungeon crawlers. Maybe someone could recreate something like System Shock 2.

Also, playing Daikatana with zero expectations after a couple months is actually pretty refreshing compared to most shooters these days.

Guillermus posted:

I don't know if they patched Necrovision, but that game used to be really buggy and overheated lots of cards when it got released. I got bored of it when you became a vampire.

It is poorly optimized, that's for sure, so I won't blame anyone making GBS threads on the game purely for that reason alone.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

uncleKitchener posted:

Also, playing Daikatana with zero expectations after a couple months is actually pretty refreshing compared to most shooters these days.

Daikatana is one of those games that's ridiculously ambitious. It's something you'd never see in today's gaming world.

Plus, if you actually play it for a bit, you'll find a genuinely great game hidden between the awful poo poo in it. It's like two different teams made the game; Romero and his drooling band of morons for E1 and the second half of E4, while a quality 90s-era FPS developer made episodes 2 and 3, then snuck a few decent maps into Episode 4 when Romero wasn't looking. Even the weapons the game gets ridiculed for, like the Hades Hammer in Episode 2 and Nharre's Nightmare in Episode 3, are actually very useful when you get the hang of them. gently caress the Metamaser, though.

In some ways, it's a love-letter to late 90s FPS games, though I'm sure it wasn't intended to be so at the time. It has Quakeish gameplay, (awful) HL1-style levels in E1, Hexen in E2 and E3, and "realistic" modernish-day levels you'd see in late 90s FPS games in E4.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, that's it, I actually need to play Daikatana now.

Also, I've already restarted Going Down about twice (had to lower the difficulty in Brutal Doom), but now I might just restart it AGAIN because I'd love to play it with Demonsteele. Or maybe I should just beat it, and then go through it again with DS. :ohdear:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Daikatana's special brand of idiocy is that if you want to fully level the thing the game is named after you have to use it though the entire Episodes 2, 3 and a chunk of 4. You know, the parts where the other weapons are kinda neat and the levels aren't poo poo if you use "guns".

Also, if you pick up a save egg and then switch the options to "save everywhere" mode still keeping the egg in your pocket, the game will try to crash every time you come to an egg location.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

SelenicMartian posted:

Daikatana's special brand of idiocy is that if you want to fully level the thing the game is named after you have to use it though the entire Episodes 2, 3 and a chunk of 4. You know, the parts where the other weapons are kinda neat and the levels aren't poo poo if you use "guns".

Also, if you pick up a save egg and then switch the options to "save everywhere" mode still keeping the egg in your pocket, the game will try to crash every time you come to an egg location.

I only used the Daikatana in my first run. After that, I let it rot in my inventory, then spew projectiles and hammer fools instead. The Silver Claw is way cooler than that stupid glowstick sword thing anyways.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Stop convincing people to play Daikatana you assholes.

It may not be the hyperbolically awful disaster of legend but it's still a poo poo game. Describing it as "genuinely great" is completely absurd.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's a misunderstood C- game at best. Even with all the patches and all the poo poo they've done to make it less completely intolerable, it's still a poo poo game and you should not spend your money on it.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Amethyst posted:

Stop convincing people to play Daikatana you assholes.

It may not be the hyperbolically awful disaster of legend but it's still a poo poo game. Describing it as "genuinely great" is completely absurd.

Not all of it is; just some parts. Episode 1 and the second half of E4 are horrific.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I like E1 better than E4. E4 is a real loving downer of an episode, the guns are the most generic in the entire game, the levels are awful and all the same. All it really has over E1 is fewer tiny enemies.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

With its dumb arsenal E1 is a non-stop session of "stop hitting yourself".

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The Kins posted:

The developers have mentioned in their Reddit AMA thing that the G-Man will be done by their Barney sound-alike (who also does the HEV suit voice?!).
Booooooo

Seriously, I hate it when official characters are voiced by noticeably-not-official VAs. It's incredibly off-putting.

Nintendo Kid posted:

I've been rewatching Lowtax's gaming youtubes and some of these games really recreate the early part of the whole early fps thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVsG6rVfFys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyFBaiD-O4Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I0sbThXE0U

I like how they're all too poorly programmed to actually have working ammo counts.
I actually kind of admire these lovely FPS titles to some degree. They at least possess the ability to work with lovely MSPaint doodles as stand-ins for final art assets and not hate themselves for it, whereas whenever I try to do programmer art I'm suddenly nitpicking everything I draw until it eventually devolves into me trying to make not-programmer art, which takes a lot more time and effort, and I just end up giving up.

The problem, of course, is that what I'd qualify as passable programmer art, they qualify as final art. (Also that they make questionable game design decisions, of course... hey, I said "to some degree", it's not like I love this poo poo.)

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

The Early FPS Megathread - Daikatana Is Simultaneously Fun AND Cool

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I tried to play Daikatana thanks to much earlier in the thread but honestly, it isn't even close to being a 'so-bad-it's-good' game. It's just unfun and a chore to play. If it wasn't made by Romero it wouldn't be getting a single mention in this thread. There were a shower of awful FPS way back then and Daikatana did nothing to stand out.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Daikatana is interesting in the abstract. It's stupidly ambitious and crashed and burned in an incredibly spectacular way. This makes it fun to dissect as a game designer, but not necessarily to play as a player.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Keiya posted:

Daikatana is interesting in the abstract. It's stupidly ambitious and crashed and burned in an incredibly spectacular way. This makes it fun to dissect as a game designer, but not necessarily to play as a player.

Thinking about Daikatana always reminds me of Perfect Dark 64, since they were both featured in an issue of Nintendo Power. I remember being extremely hyped for PD, and then looking at Daikatana, wondering who in the hell would be excited for this, when they have the spiritual sequel to Goldeneye about to be released with something like 142 new features?

Still going to play Daikatana someday, though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They've never told us they love us but they've never said that we should just be friends.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Thinking about Daikatana always reminds me of Perfect Dark 64, since they were both featured in an issue of Nintendo Power. I remember being extremely hyped for PD, and then looking at Daikatana, wondering who in the hell would be excited for this, when they have the spiritual sequel to Goldeneye about to be released with something like 142 new features?

Still going to play Daikatana someday, though.

PD, now there's a classic FPS. Too bad the port is only on xbox :(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

site posted:

PD, now there's a classic FPS. Too bad the port is only on xbox :(

Yeah, I know. I'd love it on Steam.

Yeah, I know, Goldeneye: Source exists. It'd be great if Perfect Dark: Source existed, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Yeah, I know. I'd love it on Steam.

Yeah, I know, Goldeneye: Source exists. It'd be great if Perfect Dark: Source existed, too.
It does actually, but died off years ago.