Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

fennesz posted:

So I've skipped AC for the past few years and picked up Black Flag for $5. Holy poo poo. It's like RDR but with boats instead of horses.

It makes me want to play Rogue when I'm finished but no one can convince me that the arctic is more compelling than the loving Caribbean.

It isn't, but Rogue is certainly good if you need to scratch more of the itch. Black Flag is the best the series has to offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Rogue has more polished mechanics, all the bullshit taken out (like eavesdropping missions), good wilderness parts and and the setting change makes it fresh. I say it's just a great pair of games.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I actually did prefer the arctic over the Caribbean. :shobon:
I felt like Rogue had a lot more to do when you weren't doing the main story too.

Then again, I'm a weirdo that prefers colder climates over hot ones, even in my games.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Rogue has more stuff to do and removes all those bullshit social challenges and lets you just unlock all your cool poo poo with ingame money like it should be.

But the plot is boring, the characters are snoozeworthy, and yeah, personally the setting just wasn't as fun for me. It's a better game, but not a better experience, I suppose is how I'd put it personally. I like the systems of Rogue a LOT more, but I find it more compelling to be Edward Kenway as opposed to Shay Cormac.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm just waiting for the inevitable Rogue HD re-release

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Calaveron posted:

PC version came out a few months back. :smugbert:

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Recently finished AC Unity, and I found it to be decent fun but an average-quality entry in the series, some of my own complaints I didn't see included with the oft repeated ones in this thread:

- The music was completely unmemorable. Black Flag's theme, the ship battle music, etc can still pop into my head when I think about that game

- I didn't mind not being able to switch weapons on the fly, seeing as how they were trying to make that choice substantial, but I really missed having the hidden blade as an option all the time and feels like it should've since you always have that with you and whatever weapon you choice you had.

- Taking away the human shield for gunshots is awful. Yea, you can roll away when the shooting icon is fully highlighted, but rolling doesn't occur instantly and interrupt animations like parry does so you're screwed half the time.

- I've always liked the historical aspect of the games, but for ACU they should've tied in the story more to the revolution - so much of it seemed like background noise when it should've been more front and center. It's a great setting, but after the complaints of AC3 of the ridiculousness of being central to so many major events in the American Revolution, I think Ubi went too far to the other end of the spectrum and not tying in the French Revolution into the game's story enough.

I'm still looking forward to Rogue, but I'll wait until it's on sale for a decent amount.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

According to Kotaku sources, Assassin's Creed Syndicate took some inspiration from GTA 5 and there are two playable characters, Jacob and his sister Evie.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Mr. Fortitude posted:

According to Kotaku sources, Assassin's Creed Syndicate took some inspiration from GTA 5 and there are two playable characters, Jacob and his sister Evie.

Jason Schreier reported on it and usually he gets pretty good intel, but the same article says that Ubisoft is planning to go without a multiplayer mode this year, and I find that to be rather hard to believe.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

macnbc posted:

Jason Schreier reported on it and usually he gets pretty good intel, but the same article says that Ubisoft is planning to go without a multiplayer mode this year, and I find that to be rather hard to believe.

I dunno. Unity only had co-op for multiplayer and didn't have the multiplayer that was in since Brotherhood but all the online connectivity stuff is what caused a lot of the problems in Unity in the first place. I could kind of see them taking a break to rethink how multiplayer should be implemented.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Good thing they're getting away from the whole Desmond genetic bloodline thing, or the implications of this would be rather unfortunate.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Rogue is alright but I didn't like the stalker stuff or the grenades (ie. everything new they added except the rifle, which is really just the blow pipe). There's too much warping around as well, since the map's so big they had to chop it all up. I rarely had any sense of where I was.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Best part about Rogue is they hand you all the gear earlier than any other game. It was Sequence 6 or 7 for the blowdart gun in Black Flag, where in Rogue you get it before the end of Sequence 1. That's a good change to progression where you're not bottlenecking people through the story if they want to explore with tools.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Best part about Rogue is they hand you all the gear earlier than any other game. It was Sequence 6 or 7 for the blowdart gun in Black Flag, where in Rogue you get it before the end of Sequence 1. That's a good change to progression where you're not bottlenecking people through the story if they want to explore with tools.

I think the difference being that Shay is already a trained Assassin when you start playing. All the other games, cept the first one, involve training someone from the ground up.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Skoll posted:

I think the difference being that Shay is already a trained Assassin when you start playing. All the other games, cept the first one, involve training someone from the ground up.

Although they still don't explain how Kenway is just naturally gifted in the art of air assassinations and whatnot, to the point where he literally straps on the gauntlets and is immediately pulling off secret Assassin moves with absolutely zero training, while being watched by two Templars who are judging his technique. Genetic memories and such, sure, but I wouldn't have minded a throwaway line of dialogue or something where he's just as surprised.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Crappy Jack posted:

Good thing they're getting away from the whole Desmond genetic bloodline thing, or the implications of this would be rather unfortunate.

They're not really retconning it, they spent the last couple games handing Abstergo the tools to mine pretty much everyone's bloodlines.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Plus Rogue had half as many sequences as most Assassin's Creed games, so they really couldn't dick around with getting Shay all his gear.

I hope last year was the only time that last-gen console players got thrown a bone. Rogue was a good game, but I'm honestly still kinda burned out on AC months later. And if they do incorporate sailing into future installments, using the Black Flag/Rogue engine again would feel really stale.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
To explain the Kenway air assassinaton thing, something something seasoned sailor.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
What if the secret to knowing assassin skills is just making your own luck? Shay was trying to tell us all along!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Rope Darts are a better example. Sequence 10 in Black Flag for such a minor weapon.

effervescible posted:

Plus Rogue had half as many sequences as most Assassin's Creed games, so they really couldn't dick around with getting Shay all his gear.

Half the sequences but they were like twice as many missions per sequence. There's still space.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

They're not really retconning it, they spent the last couple games handing Abstergo the tools to mine pretty much everyone's bloodlines.

Yes. I know that. It's just funny to realize that if they hadn't made that change, we would have had a very awkward moment where Shaun puts two and two together.

Also gently caress the haters, I miss Shaun.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

How many non-upper duper class people can trace their entire family to Victorian times? I have no clue if mom and pop are related that far ago and it hardly matters.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Zedd posted:

Already been out for a while: The Saboteur.
I actually prefer The Saboteur to any AC game that I've played. Maybe it's because it involves shanking Nazis rather than less instantly-hissable historical factions. (And you can drive to wherever you're going, and you have pockets stuffed with dynamite, and you can punch cows so hard they explode, and and and...) "Y'aren't worth a loving air biscuit!"

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

Also gently caress the haters, I miss Shaun.

He's in Unity! But only very briefly. But he's the guy marking up Abstergo's historical database with rude asides!

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

He's in Unity! But only very briefly. But he's the guy marking up Abstergo's historical database with rude asides!

I could also swear it's his voice as the guy in the background during the rift missions, but he's going by a different name.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
It is. I figure the code name was adopted in case the dumb schmuck inside the Helix that they recruited (so, us) turned out to be a dick who might act against them. The woman wasn't Rebecca, though, I'm pretty sure.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Calaveron posted:

This isn't to you or this comment in particular but the ps3/xbox360 generation are already the "HD" generation of consoles aren't they?
I mean besides that IMO the pc version of Rogue/BF looked great already but those do look a lot better compared to the ps3/360.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Nah, the woman mentions Rebecca in the third person ("Rebecca and I [...]"). Shaun's codename is Deacon and the woman's is Bishop.

Also: very excited about Evie! People are comparing this to GTA but honestly AC Liberation was released almost a full year earlier and its persona system is a less fleshed out version of the same mechanic. Hopefully you can switch anywhere like in the former rather than at dedicated spots like in the latter.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Zedd posted:

This isn't to you or this comment in particular but the ps3/xbox360 generation are already the "HD" generation of consoles aren't they?
I mean besides that IMO the pc version of Rogue/BF looked great already but those do look a lot better compared to the ps3/360.

Yeah and I realized how dumb that sounded as I typed it but I could swear there's already up-ports of PS3/360 games to PS4/Bone and they are called "HD"

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

macnbc posted:

I'm cool for them to go without multiplayer. Focus on the core of the series and make the best single player Assassins Creed they can.

Never really got round to even playing Unity in CooP as my roommate's PC couldn't run it and my regular coop buddy never bought it (but might if it goes on sale?).

Orv
May 4, 2011
Please to be holding onto your butts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DSlgEcp5aM

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012
It's not terrible looking but it doesn't really set my blood on fire. Combat, stealth and parkour all look basically the same with the exception of the rope launcher to scale taller buildings.

I did like the little split-second moment where the orphan girl goes for Jacob's drink and the Indian assassin refuses. I dunno. Maybe if it's better served at launch than Unity was I'll pick it up, but it's not gonna be a day one buy for me.

Also, I find it really funny that they haven't nailed down the PC release date. How many years running has it slipped on Assassin's Creed games?

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
Whistling from behind cover is back, so I'm sold :dance:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
The basic gist I got out of it:
"Hey, remember Ezio? He was cool."
"We recognize Unity was disappointing."
"Let's repeat all of the same marketing pitches we used for Unity."

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Very nice. I loved that they seemed to have an Indian assassin collaborating with the siblings too. Makes sense, as that was a British empire at the time. Hated that Jacob is "brash and reckless". Oh good, so exactly like the last three protags then.

Looks like I'll have to break bank and purchase a PS4 sometime this year. Still not touching Unity though.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Looks like it could be good, but after Unity I'll probably wait and see what reviews say.

Also it sounds like it could be a GTAV thing, where you can swap between the brother/sister during free-roam, but missions lock you in to one or the other.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Can't you pick between Jacob and his sister this time around? It's neat how you can do that but the trailer for the game doesn't highlight Jacob's sis at all lol. C'mon Ubisoft.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

Skeezy posted:

Can't you pick between Jacob and his sister this time around? It's neat how you can do that but the trailer for the game doesn't highlight Jacob's sis at all lol. C'mon Ubisoft.

I found that REALLY strange that they didn't mention that at all, aside from her existence. They took the time out to go and say "Yeah Unity was buggy as poo poo" but didn't cover the thing that would address the whole "Ladies are hard to animate though!" issue.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

It looks like they saw all the comments about Haytham Kenway being british batman and ran with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
It bugged me that the main thrust of their gameplay demo was their current version of territory control.

You'd think if they were trying to sell that their game is new and revolutionary that they'd pick a section to highlight other than one they've used since AC: Brotherhood.

• Locked thread