Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

If what people are saying is true about Fury Road being one big action sequence I hope they do more world building and characterization in the second one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Yaws posted:

If what people are saying is true about Fury Road being one big action sequence I hope they do more world building and characterization in the second one.

There's not a whole lot of character but speaking as someone who loved all the world stuff in Beyond Thunderdome I felt this actually managed quite a bit too. You learn a lot about the society involved and get some good glimpses of how it normally works before the action begins.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
Looks like embargo was shifted a day forward, so we'll be getting critics reception tomorrow. Saw a 15 second stinger on Tumblr with a quote from Fox-TV's Shawn Edwards calling it "The best action movie ever made"

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Yaws posted:

First of all I hope the exact opposite, that said, there's plenty of it it's just very subtle and done mostly on the back end. There is a voice over at the beginning that talks about things and occasional bits and pieces. Just little crumbs, which is fine for me. besides this the 4th Mad Max film, the first three have plenty of that if that's what you want.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
There's a shitload of world building it's just almost all done in one-off lines or details in the background. Pretty much every single character and shot has something to sink your teeth into and make you wonder "man, I wonder what the story behind that is"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

:3: This is great.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

ParanoidInc posted:

There's a shitload of world building it's just almost all done in one-off lines or details in the background. Pretty much every single character and shot has something to sink your teeth into and make you wonder "man, I wonder what the story behind that is"

Yeah but they don't actually tell you ever which is the way it should be :)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

FishBulb posted:

Yeah but they don't actually tell you ever which is the way it should be :)

A fair number of people walking out of the theater doing exit interviews were complaining that the movie 'doesn't explain enough'. Derp.

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
There's a really interesting article with the production designer on the cars of Fury Road (with some mild spoilers).

quote:

QUESTION: Does Immortan Joe have two cars in the film?

COLIN GIBSON: The Immortan Joe really owns all the vehicles in the Wasteland, his fiefdom, his armada, all the steering wheels his, the vehicles gifted to the Warboys only to further his ambitions. The Immortan takes over a monster truck at one stage to navigate an avalanche-strewn canyon and jockey his son to battle, but his real vehicle—the Giga-Horse—is probably my favorite because it was built from the ground up. Deep in the dim, dark Rev-Head past, the glory of a Cadillac’s tail fin still haunts the imagination. The glory days before the Fall, a snatch of song tugging at the heart, the gas-guzzling joy of once having been able to put one arm out the window and your other arm around the girl, hit the accelerator and live, be someone … a luxury long lost.

So, in a world where there is barely one of anything, only the Master may have a pair. We took great delight in taking a couple of 1959 Cadillac Coupe de Villes, tail fins akimbo and red rocket brake lights glowing, cutting them down the center, mounting them one atop the other in flagrante delicto, tipped at a rakish angle over a pair of giant blown V8s, slaved through a custom transmission to harmonize in a deep bass rumble and drive two-meter-high double rear wheels into the Wasteland.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Those are the words of a man who loves his work.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Caustic posted:

There's a really interesting article with the production designer on the cars of Fury Road (with some mild spoilers).

Was wondering if they used real car bodies or silhouettes, given some of them are now getting to be pretty rare and worth good money in pretty much any condition. Rather surprised they went with the real thing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It's kind of fitting. Didn't the V8 Interceptor become something of a rarity itself? IIRC it was going to be launched in Australia but then didn't actually go into full production? So they accidentally ended up with this super iconic vehicle for Mad Max (which got blown up in Mad Max 2).

Jynetik
May 1, 2015

Cat Terrist posted:

Was wondering if they used real car bodies or silhouettes, given some of them are now getting to be pretty rare and worth good money in pretty much any condition. Rather surprised they went with the real thing.

Old 3/5 window 40's coupes aren't that terribly rare and considering the state of the bodywork these were probably just laying around in a scrap heap somewhere. I can guarantee that the engines are most likely mass produced late 70's / early 80's small block V8's and a couple of v6's as they are plentiful, cheap, easy to work on (for the production crew) and make a hell of a lot of noise. Most likely the most expensive cars were the Cadillac's for the gigahorse, and the half dozen or so tractor-truck units.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Neo Rasa posted:

It's kind of fitting. Didn't the V8 Interceptor become something of a rarity itself? IIRC it was going to be launched in Australia but then didn't actually go into full production? So they accidentally ended up with this super iconic vehicle for Mad Max (which got blown up in Mad Max 2).

It's just a modified Ford Falcon Coupe.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Neo Rasa posted:

The Pursuit Special is just a hardtop 73 Ford Falcon GT with a heap of bodywork. The other police cars are similar Falcons. They actually managed to rebuy Max's car for two, remod it, blow up a stunt version and then left it in a scrapyard because they somehow couldn't sell it initially. It's in some museum now.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Shoehead posted:

They actually managed to rebuy Max's car for two, remod it, blow up a stunt version and then left it in a scrapyard because they somehow couldn't sell it initially. It's in some museum now.

Indian Jones last find.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
So it turns out the People Eater is a vehicle like somebody thought. An oil refinery cracking tower tipped sideways and pulled by a vehicle made up of two limos slapped together.

I love the design of all these vehicles!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

100% on RT so far. All glowing reviews.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mad_max_fury_road/

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Ehud posted:

100% on RT so far. All glowing reviews.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mad_max_fury_road/

Awesome start. Granted it's only 8 reviews, so I'm sure that'll go down, but I'm predicting mid to high 80s

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Awesome start. Granted it's only 8 reviews, so I'm sure that'll go down, but I'm predicting mid to high 80s

Now up to 17 critic reviews and still 100% :stare:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
They're hitting on all the major sites now, everything massively positive.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The 90% on Metacritic is blowing my mind.

If it stays there, it's going to be a top 5 wide release (excluding documentaries & small indies) in 2015.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It's at ***100%*** right now with twenty-three reviews up. You know what other movie has a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes? Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (or completion, Mad Max has a 91% and Thunderdome an 82%). So to me at least, for the original three movies RT is perfectly accurate even if I personally like Mad Max 1 the most because it's so out there.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

this is going to own so loving hard and I can't wait to see it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Ehud posted:

Now up to 30 critic reviews and still 100% :stare:

ftfy

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

I'm so psyched. This looks like it's actually going to be everything we hoped for.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
No real spoilers but here's a quick writeup of some of the stunts and inventions used in the movie: http://www.wired.com/2015/05/mad-max-fury-road/

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
This movie is definitely very "bad at explaining everything" so if you're the type that that bothers, you're going to be really unhappy.

Like some big questions that don't get answered? Some kind of spoiler-y, I guess.

Why does Immortan Joe wear that mask?
What happened to Furiosa's arm? Who built her the new one?
Why were the guys at the beginning chasing Max in the first place?
There's clearly some kind of genetic defecto problem going around, and people aren't living long, why not?

It's a good movie, and I love the degree to which they just take a, "This is how the world is now, we're not going to spell each and every detail out for you, use some imagination, hell, make up your own story if you need to" attitude.
It definitely reinforced the idea that these Mad Max stories are retold legends and not necessarily fully accurate accounts.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I thought "100% at 31 reviews" was an error but jesus christ almost every reviewer loved it. I've been waiting for this movie for years, I cannot wait

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

AlternateAccount posted:

This movie is definitely very "bad at explaining everything" so if you're the type that that bothers, you're going to be really unhappy.

Like some big questions that don't get answered? Some kind of spoiler-y, I guess.

There's clearly some kind of genetic defecto problem going around, and people aren't living long, why not?

It's a good movie, and I love the degree to which they just take a, "This is how the world is now, we're not going to spell each and every detail out for you, use some imagination, hell, make up your own story if you need to" attitude.
It definitely reinforced the idea that these Mad Max stories are retold legends and not necessarily fully accurate accounts.

I figured the more a film over explains every detail and purpose, the more people will nitpick and see contradictions.

I figure this is a visual representation of an oral tradition passed down many times. Each successive narrator adds a bit, either to have it make more sense to themselves or just to make the story cooler.

So somewhere in this post apocalyptic epic tale Furiosa gets a cybernetic arm. Immortan Joe gets a mask. And so forth.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

AlternateAccount posted:

None of these are big questions, like, at all.

Here's the big question:

Do they make it? Or don't they? And how?

Nothing else matters at all.

Also, I would have like to have read Ebert's review of this movie. :(

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
I read that George Miller wrote scripts for two sequels. I bet if this does well he might make another two films.

Maybe in those films they could expand on some details. Or just add more tales of Max to the story, tales where Max keeps blundering into other people's struggles and needs to just survive.

Perhaps the Gyropilot becomes dictator of post apocalyptic Sydney or something.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Yeah, even the reviewers who bring it up are like, "The story is lacking and they don't explain anything but it's loving awesome so I don't even care."

Panfilo posted:

I read that George Miller wrote scripts for two sequels. I bet if this does well he might make another two films.

Maybe in those films they could expand on some details. Or just add more tales of Max to the story, tales where Max keeps blundering into other people's struggles and needs to just survive.

Perhaps the Gyropilot becomes dictator of post apocalyptic Sydney or something.

Tom Hardy's already signed on for several sequels so there will definitely be more.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 11, 2015

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

I don't understand why these are questions people are having. This is what pissed me off about all of the crybabies who wanted every single mystery solved for :lost:. Some things just are - deal with it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I don't think AlternateAccount was complaining, just observing that for the denizens of CD who are particularly bogged down in getting canon explanations for everything...

Can't wait to see this Saturday. As a real-life Max, I've been a fan of the MM trilogy for 25 years and hope this movie hits bigtime.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Panfilo posted:

So it turns out the People Eater is a vehicle like somebody thought. An oil refinery cracking tower tipped sideways and pulled by a vehicle made up of two limos slapped together.

I love the design of all these vehicles!

That's disappointing, though I am not going out of my way to believe this just yet because the character actually exists in the movie so maybe there is some confusion as they are tied.
Though I will point out that an original character name has been used for a vehicle. Razor Cola was intended to be one of Bullet Farmer's main henchmen but as far as I understand it may very well be the title of a feature vehicle.

EDIT A recently updated IMDB page that has more had more characters listed than ever still has John Howard listed as People Eater...

AlternateAccount posted:

Closure and complete explanation is unnecessary, when the audience is spoonfed every minute detail it eliminates the need for imagination. People who hate films because "They don't explain enough" are idiots (Unless the thing not explained is something that actually ruins the film and is a result of poor writing, of course), but I'll answer as vaguely as possible.

1. Because the air is toxic.
2. Because it is cool, deal with it.
3. Because that's what they do?
4. Because the air is toxic.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 11, 2015

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Electromax posted:

I don't think AlternateAccount was complaining, just observing that for the denizens of CD who are particularly bogged down in getting canon explanations for everything...

Can't wait to see this Saturday. As a real-life Max, I've been a fan of the MM trilogy for 25 years and hope this movie hits bigtime.

Oh, I know he wasn't complaining. I was just stating this in general - I'm sure there will be critics and audience members who will be complaining though.

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

Panfilo posted:

In an interview with Esquire Hardy said that he's "attached" to three more and that whether more will be made will depend on how well this one does. If it's as commercially successful as it has been so far critically we will be seeing a whole lot more of Max.

Up to 32 reviews as of this post.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I actually rather prefer certain things not having giant expositions regarding origin/how/why. It's a crazy desert wasteland at war and that's really it. I always thought of the first 3 films as "different takes on a myth" with Max being kind of the fabled center of every crazy story.

If you've ever seen the movie Kontroll, by Nimrod Antal (before he did lovely Predator movies) there's one police investigator in the subways who has a curious red Ziggy Stardust slash across his eye. Just this peculiar marking that they never explain but gives him an extra menace to his character, distinguishes him as literally a "marked" man who inevitably becomes a bigger part of the investigations at the end. Little things like a cybernetic arm or a weird mask don't always need huge explanations. They're just part of a character as is, and sometimes the pure unfettered aesthetics are nice to have.

Obviously there's a difference between massive plotholes and just not explaining the origin of when and where, but it sounds like the latter rather than the former for this movie and I'd be fine with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Minnesota Manatee posted:

In an interview with Esquire Hardy said that he's "attached" to three more and that whether more will be made will depend on how well this one does. If it's as commercially successful as it has been so far critically we will be seeing a whole lot more of Max.

My prediction based on nothing but my gut is that this won't do crazy week-one money like Avengers but will rather be a steady moneymaker over many weeks as word-of-mouth attracts more and more people to it.

• Locked thread