Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

i'm not sober so i might gently caress the answer up but it's a face to face roll against the original roll of the attacking model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
The second guy can only dodge, since his shot back is blocked by the first guy. That dodge is at -3 because the shot is coming from out of his LOS. But it is face to face against the original rolls of the shooter.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Not a viking posted:

One question and one cool situation from today's game.

Question: I have a shotgun wielding guy staring down two enemies who are standing in line. I shoot both shots at the front guy so the second guy gets hit by the blast. Is his ARO a face to face roll? We played it as no, but thinking about it, my BS roll vs the first guy will effect the second guy and the ARO shot from the second guy will stop me from shooting so I guess we played that wrong?

This one is no, it's not F2F. The only person who responds F2F to a Shotgun is the initial target(s), everyone else treats it as a direct template.

Not a viking posted:

Cool situation: My Maakrep was ambushed while in Suppressive Fire. But my opponent was inside ZoC and the Maakrep has 6th sense L1 so I got to react with an attack. At full SF burst! I still lost it :(

Unless I'm missing something, you'd always get to react, you'd just take penalties.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

WAR FOOT posted:

This one is no, it's not F2F. The only person who responds F2F to a Shotgun is the initial target(s), everyone else treats it as a direct template.

No, everyone effected gets a F2F. The section on impact templates on page 38 clarifies.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Clarification: they weren't EXACTLY in line, everyone had LoF to each other.

WAR FOOT posted:

Unless I'm missing something, you'd always get to react, you'd just take penalties.

Yes, but 6th sense lets you attack even though out of LoF and since I was in SF it felt like a mini-360 reaction.

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 10, 2015

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Not a viking posted:

One question and one cool situation from today's game.

Question: I have a shotgun wielding guy staring down two enemies who are standing in line. I shoot both shots at the front guy so the second guy gets hit by the blast. Is his ARO a face to face roll? We played it as no, but thinking about it, my BS roll vs the first guy will effect the second guy and the ARO shot from the second guy will stop me from shooting so I guess we played that wrong?

Cool situation: My Maakrep was ambushed while in Suppressive Fire. But my opponent was inside ZoC and the Maakrep has 6th sense L1 so I got to react with an attack. At full SF burst! I still lost it :(

They are F2F but the 2nd guy can't cancel the shot. So if 2nd guy wins his FTF roll, First guy fails his FTF, the first guy does get hit.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

But in this case the 2nd guy gets hit b/c of shotgun spray.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Just checked the rules, and yeah, it looks like everyone hit make their own face to face roll to cancel the hit, regardless of the result from the other f2f rolls.

I really thought it was still like War Foot mentioned, so good to know!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah it did change in N3 and it's confused one or two people coming from N2, thanks for posting page clarification Josh.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

But the 2nd guy in the blast only gets shot at if the first one is hit. So if I miss both shots on the first one the second one gets an unopposed roll?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Not a viking posted:

But the 2nd guy in the blast only gets shot at if the first one is hit. So if I miss both shots on the first one the second one gets an unopposed roll?
Yes, the active miniatures results are locked in regardless of the result against other miniatures (this made sense in my head). If he misses both shots, both ARO miniatures still react as per their ARO result.

Pg.38-39 posted:

Effects:
The template only applies its effect on each affected trooper if the Attack Roll is successful. (this is what you said basically).

The trooper who declared the Attack compares this Roll against each enemy trooper affected by the template individually. Each enemy trooper affected by the template resolves his F2F Roll with the template user independent of each other; the F2F Roll of one affected enemy trooper does not effect the F2F Roll of the others (see example on page).

The attack must designate a main target, from who all MIDs are applied to his roll will be determined. As stated above, this roll will be compared against each enemy trooper affected by the template.

An Important note:

quote:

Rolling a Critical in an Attack Roll with a template weapon causes the target of the attack (and only the target) to suffer Damage automatically and lose one point of Wounds/STR, bypassing the ARM or BTS Roll and applies what its Special Ammo specifies in case of Critical. Other troopers affected by the Template do not suffer the effects of the Critical, but they still suffer the regular effects of the template.

Pg.39 has complete example break downs to explain it in non-rules speak. :)

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Not a viking posted:

It definitely feels odd thematically, since I've always seen F2F shoot rolls kinda like one person getting the shot off over the other.

But with the shotgun it's like it always hit regardless and now you shoot back to cancel they spray?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

It's worth noting that successful means you beat your target MOD to hit, not win the F2F. It's fully possible to succeed in the first roll, have their result triumph over yours and still wound the third miniature in question. It only cancels the spray if the attacking models misses every shot.

Page 39 has the example:

quote:

All Targets React by Shooting.

3 Fusiliers have LoF to the Hellcat and all 3 declare BS Attack as an ARO. In each case each Fusilier makes a F2F roll using his BS attribute against the Hellcat's 2 BS rolls due to his B2.

Each Fusilier's result only affects him, and does not affect his comrades F2F Rolls against the Hellcat.

The main target Fusilier wins his F2F Roll against the Hellcat. In this case the Attack against him is cancelled and the Hellcat is forced to make an ARM roll.

However the success of the main target Fusilier doesn't cancel the Attack of the Hellcat against the other two Fusiliers. Each of them must make his BS Attack Roll against the the Hellcat's two BS Attack Rolls*. Fusilier 2 wins the F2F Roll against the Hellcat who is forced to make another ARM Roll at the end of the Order. However Fusilier 3 loses his F2F Roll and he is the one forced to make an ARM Roll.

* - Just for clarity this example means every Fusilier is within the same template, hence rolling against two BS attacks because the Hellcat doesn't have to split his B to hit every miniature.

Just incase anyone is confused. :)

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

If I'm primarily interested in the Military Order sectorial of PanO (mostly aesthetics), is it viable and is the PanO half of Icestorm a good start for it?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Viable yes, optimal no. You'll use the fusiliers maybe and the father knight definitely in MO, nothing else from OI is in MO. You could proxy the Akal as a Crusdader brethren easily though.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

JoshTheStampede posted:

Viable yes, optimal no. You'll use the fusiliers maybe and the father knight definitely in MO, nothing else from OI is in MO. You could proxy the Akal as a Crusdader brethren easily though.

Hmm. With the terrain and the general usefulness of having Nomads for introing the game to others, I might go ahead and spring for Icestorm. Not too concerned about "optimal" at the moment.

My fave is Haqq, but as I said I like the aesthetic, and I got Joan from buying Angel's book / am interested in the Dire Foes pack with the Haqq/PanO dudes.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
If you are in love with the Knights aesthetic and Joan, you can always play vanilla and just take a bunch of Knights. MO is more often the Order Sarges faction than a bunch of Knights anyway.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
Yeah there isn't really much need to limit yourself. Going with a sectorial affects AVA (how many of a profile you can take) and opens up link teams (which are strong, but not overwhelming) at the cost of flexibility. Nothing wrong with starting vanilla, adding knights, then going MO when you have a better understanding of the benefits.

That said, if you like Haqq why not play them?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Used the new Charontid hacker for the first time today, That thing shrugged off massed small arms fire like nothing (obscuring terrain certainly helped though) and managed to fry 2 elite Nomad hackers through their own repeaters. Points well spent :3:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

MCPeePants posted:

Yeah there isn't really much need to limit yourself. Going with a sectorial affects AVA (how many of a profile you can take) and opens up link teams (which are strong, but not overwhelming) at the cost of flexibility. Nothing wrong with starting vanilla, adding knights, then going MO when you have a better understanding of the benefits.

That said, if you like Haqq why not play them?

I...do have Haqq :v:

I was just thinking I'd branch out a little, that's all, particularly since I seem to be picking up some PanO knight stuff incidentally. I'll probably just go vanilla and pick up some Knights.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Some of the guys at my FLGS are looking to pick up Infinity and I'm personally interested in Haqqislam. Mainly the Hassassin Bahram. How retarded would I be to just start with that?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

TheKingslayer posted:

Some of the guys at my FLGS are looking to pick up Infinity and I'm personally interested in Haqqislam. Mainly the Hassassin Bahram. How retarded would I be to just start with that?

It's fine since you will buy every model within a six month span anyway.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

It's one of the harder points to start with, but that didn't stop me from starting with Shasvastii :v:

Also:

Indolent Bastard posted:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

TheKingslayer posted:

It's fine, just make sure to use the Daylami in the Hassassin starter (assuming you get it) as Ghulams so you're not starved for regular orders. If you want cheap irregulars, I'd pick up a box of Ghazi Muttawi'ah. If you want an elite doctor as you grow in points, pick up an Asawira.

My only complaint about Hassassins is that CB hasn't released Govad models yet.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Indolent Bastard posted:

and never actually play them.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

Deviant posted:

and never actually play them.

Just look at them and buy supplies for terrain from time to time.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

New Intruder is nifty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWgbG3h_Qug

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
That intruder is dope.

Played some more n3 games at my place last night, 2 games amongst 3 players. We ran 200 point lists. I ran the contents of ice storm + a boarding shotgun croc man.

My buddy player the icestorm nomads + intruder HMG and a interventor LT, and removed the revered healer.

3rd friend played tohaa, a bunch of poo poo that I had no idea names/what it did lol. No scenarios, although we will definitely play scenarios next time.

I played v nomads, and the big mistake of this game was nomads went second, and he very aggresively placed his TO marker spektre in LOS of most of my army, on top of a building behind cover. Nisse sniper and father knight wrecked him. He probably will not do that again, the math is very bad on surviving an entire army's firepower in that situation. We traded pieces back and forth, his intruder HMG was a murder machine of course, but eventually my father knight turned the corner of a building and assaulted him. Father knight hacked the intruder in half, and a nanosecond later had his head exploded by a DA round from a grenzer sniper. By round 3 I was up 3 models to 1, and we called it.

Second game was nomads vs tohaa. Tohaa players links were of course very powerful, and with our minimal experience answers to their raw power were difficult. Since we werent playing scenarios, the nomad player was a bit more aggressive and probably lost more pieces because of that. He got ground out pretty badly, tohaa only lost a few models, after the doctor fixed a few of them.

But now that all of our little group are on the same page, we will definitely play scenario and that should fix some of the issues of that last game. It definitely opened my eyes to the raw power of a 200 pt, 9 order, 3 triad list in Tohaa. I need to read their profiles and be able to distinguish the models on the table so I can figure out what the hell I am fighting!

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Multispectral Visor just ignores a model's CH ability right? I assume this is what reduces to zero means.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

It depends on the Multispectral Visors level and it deals with other things too (like visibility zones & Smoke Grenade Special Dodges).

Page 139 explains what it does really well.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I'm pretty sure we did it right, his MSV sniper shot at my CH:Camo sniper like he was just standing in the open. These were both our first games of N3 and even though I got my rear end handed to me I did a lot of stupid things just to exercise how the rules work and had a good time in the process.

Never failed a guts roll though, glory to the New Islam!

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

What about cover? Does MSV negate cover as well?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Not a viking posted:

What about cover? Does MSV negate cover as well?

It does not.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

PaintVagrant posted:

I played v nomads, and the big mistake of this game was nomads went second, and he very aggresively placed his TO marker spektre in LOS of most of my army, on top of a building behind cover. Nisse sniper and father knight wrecked him. He probably will not do that again, the math is very bad on surviving an entire army's firepower in that situation

I take it your Nomad friend has not read the rules on Hidden Deployment. TO:Camo lets you deploy without actually putting a model or marker down, and combined with the Spektr's Infiltration it means that anywhere along the midline could conceal a boarding shotgun. It's also hidden information, so you don't have to share that you've taken one at all - the hole in your army's points cost could be anything hidden/awaiting air drop.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Yeah we obviously skipped that rule! I haven't played in so long that I forgot that was a thing.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Out of curiosity, since this game is heavily supported by tournament play how do organizers handle private information? Have a judge look over and say yep he had that on his sheet?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Two lists, one with public info and one with private info. :) The Infinity Army Builders usually have this option.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Springfield Fatts posted:

Multispectral Visor just ignores a model's CH ability right? I assume this is what reduces to zero means.

Whoooa, MSV does NOT ignore CH. What it does is lets you discover them much easier, but the camo marker cannot straight up be shot.

So if I am a camo marker out in the open and a sniper sees me he cannot shoot me yet as Im a marker. Sniper can delcare Discover+BS attack (a long order). Sniper then rolls discover, which is WIP-CamoType. However since he has a Multispectral Visor they will probably ignore the camoType, so straight up WIP roll. If the sniper fails the camo marker is not revealed and is not a valid target for shooting. I think during the active turn once a model fails its discover roll it cannot make another one for the turn.

Here is how you can handle camo

1) Speculative fire, just shoot the ground next to the camo marker. It will be a BS -6 - Range attack.
2) Intutitve attack (need template weapon) walk up to camo marker and try and attack it. You can only target 1 thing in the template and its a WIP attack.
3) Mines (read up on mines)

There are other ways as well.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

UK Goons, we have a 300pt ITS tournament down here in FSG, Cardiff. You're very much welcome to come along!

http://infinitytheforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/30377-operation-firestorm-firestorm-games-cardiff/#entry660888

It's also linked in each FB group for UK Infinity, but there seems to be problems viewing it from outside FB, not sure why.

Timings very much subject to change and modification as it's just an early drafting list where I haven't accommodated for any delays as of yet. I'll hammer out full details when I get chance tomorrow morning. 1HR 15M rounds is enough but the schedule listed doesn't show for gaps between those rounds. :)

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Exmond posted:

MSV / Camo

The MSV phrasing "reduces CH level to zero" was the part that had us thinking it cancelled all effects. I can see your point about the unit still needing to be Discovered at normal WIP, but we interpreted it as a guy standing in a bush being looked at with thermal optics. You’re still gonna see the guy standing in the bush. I’ll have to go over the CH: Camo entry with a comb again to get the angle you’re talking about and bring it up next time we play.

• Locked thread