Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I come here to confess. The GF and I just shelled out 220€ for a Lego model. We bought the Tower Bridge.
Granted, it will be our equivalent of an expensive painting on the wall but it still is a lot of money for what is essentially 50 bucks worth of plastic bricks.
I will post a picture when it is built.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

NESguerilla posted:

The old one had a huge clunky looking flat bottom on it. I like the current one, but much like the X-wing they never get the canopy right.

There has to be a way to have the middle bit attach and the back and front canopy move properly. They've done it on things like the Jedi Scout Fighter. Maybe just not enough room on the scale they're building the snowspeeder in...?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Hopper posted:

I come here to confess. The GF and I just shelled out 220€ for a Lego model. We bought the Tower Bridge.
Granted, it will be our equivalent of an expensive painting on the wall but it still is a lot of money for what is essentially 50 bucks worth of plastic bricks.

Tower Bridge owns. I've been pondering bringing mine downstairs to display, instead of on top of a bookshelf, but the idea of a 40" shelf somewhere on a wall, I just don't think it will look right.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dogen posted:

There has to be a way to have the middle bit attach and the back and front canopy move properly. They've done it on things like the Jedi Scout Fighter. Maybe just not enough room on the scale they're building the snowspeeder in...?

Technically it's sort of accurate if you just open the front hinge. The thing that bugs me is that they didn't even bother to do a new print and make the roof white. That would have helped a lot. It's not supposed to be open glass like that. To me the X-wing is a much worse offender though. The canopy doesn't even resemble the shape it should be. It's a shame they can't just make a new window that actually looks like it belongs on an X-Wing because otherwise, the newest version of it is drat near perfect. I don't see why a set that popular wouldn't justify it either.

This persons mini fig scale MOC Snowspeeder is 10x better than the Lego one. I'm going to try and source the parts and build it one of these days. I know there are some really spotty directions floating around somewhere online that I saw a while back.

I think it even looks quite a bit better than the UCS one haha.

E: Here it is. https://www.flickr.com/photos/28192677@N06/sets/72157626336430183/with/5603512664/

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 11, 2015

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

NESguerilla posted:

Technically it's sort of accurate if you just open the front hinge. The thing that bugs me is that they didn't even bother to do a new print and make the roof white. That would have helped a lot. It's not supposed to be open glass like that. To me the X-wing is a much worse offender though. The canopy doesn't even resemble the shape it should be. It's a shame they can't just make a new window that actually looks like it belongs on an X-Wing because otherwise, the newest version of it is drat near perfect. I don't see why a set that popular wouldn't justify it either.

This persons mini fig scale MOC Snowspeeder is 10x better than the Lego one. I'm going to try and source the parts and build it one of these days. I know there are some really spotty directions floating around somewhere online that I saw a while back.

I think it even looks quite a bit better than the UCS one haha.

E: Here it is. https://www.flickr.com/photos/28192677@N06/sets/72157626336430183/with/5603512664/

Yeah that snowspeeder is far better than the other ones Lego has put out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It certainly looks better but there are a number of one stud connections in there that lego would never allow in a production build these days.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Yeah, it sure may be beautiful, but is it swooshable?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It looks pretty solid except the windshield probably falls apart every time you open it. Lego could have done something similar and reinforced it with tiles at the bottom though and it would look way better. Something tells me they care more about making kids toys than my cockpit accuracy nerdery though. You'd never see that on a UCS set because a bunch of dorky old men like me would be whining about it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

xzzy posted:

It certainly looks better but there are a number of one stud connections in there that lego would never allow in a production build these days.

Pfft. Look at Unikitty.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I like the designs of TIE Fighters, but building them has some quite fun bits, and then really tedious bits. You get to put the cockpit together, and those are usually pretty neat. Then you have to do the wings. Repeat four times is a very disheartening direction. The UCS TIE Fighter would be a nightmare for me. Also there would be no room for it.

Anyway, the TIE Advanced Prototype is very nice. It combines two things I like in Lego spaceships. TIE Fighters and foldy wings. And also you get a TIE pilot and I like those guys. And he's also a clone I think? He has The Face anyway.

There's an Imperial Officer too, I like his hat. And the Inquisitor, I assume he is a big baddy in whichever series he is in. Rebels, judging by the box. He's got fancy armour and a nice lightsaber, and he's got a little clip thing on his armour that I think is for the lightsaber. I'm guessing it's not supposed to also be used as lightsaber wings, but let's face it, he has lightsaber wings and that is great and silly.

I wish Star Wars Lego had been this good when I was younger, but it's nice that it's actually good in it's own right now. They were pretty wildly inconsistent quality wise when they were a new thing, but I think they got away with it because it was Star Wars for some of them.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I ran out of space in my house. Had to tear down the Town Hall and Grand Emporium down to make room. Pet Shop is next when the Ferris Wheel comes out.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The gentrification continues. Those are people's homes, dammit!

dangittj
Jan 25, 2006

The Force is strong with this one

Hopper posted:

You won't be disappointed, that is an awesome set. A little tedious to build (so many cheese wedges), but it is amazingly detailed and looks awesome as a display piece.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I saw it in a Lego store and fell in love with it. I have very fond memories of London and love the place, so this was actually a no brainer. I had a great chat with the guy in the store about DIY options to display Lego sets and he told me the set will be phased out in June/July so I had to grab it.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I've been wanting to get back into big technic stuff, and that Le Mans car gave me a giant boner the second I saw it. I don't really wanna get Amazon gouged, though, and who knows when that set is actually coming out in the US. So yesterday I bought the racing truck and started putting it together. It's been a fun build, but lego shorted me on axles and I got stuck at the step where you build the steering system. Thankfully there is a loose bricks store in town.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

obi_ant posted:

I ran out of space in my house. Had to tear down
With you so far...

quote:

the Town Hall and Grand Emporium down to make room.

Dang it! Not what I was hoping to hear!

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Ferris Wheel goes live tonight for VIPs!

Does anyone know if it's midnight for EST or PST?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

ireladd posted:

Ferris Wheel goes live tonight for VIPs!

Does anyone know if it's midnight for EST or PST?

I'm so hosed.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Does the X-ray included with Dr Hibbert glow in the dark? The plastic looks to be the right color.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The page I made for my little robot went up. Some peeps seemed to like it. Some goon votes would be rad.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/102702

Sorry for the shameless self promotion post.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a shame they upped the requirement to 10,000 supporters because it means only stuff that requires a big license is going to get the sufficient amount of support.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Supported!

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!
I just ordered a pet shop and cinema from lego's site. Is there a possibility I won't get them?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Bushifox posted:

I just ordered a pet shop and cinema from lego's site. Is there a possibility I won't get them?

I ordered my Pet Shop around the end of April when it was out of stock with an expected shipment date of May 24th and I got it about a week ago. I don't see why you wouldn't get yours, as long as it is still in stock I think yo are good to go. Sucks it is at my moms house due to a cross country move and not really having a house or mailing address at this time. On the plus side I have about 60 sets to reassemble and display in the coming months, that is actually going to rock.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

When is Cinema Palace gonna retire?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Cloks posted:

Does the X-ray included with Dr Hibbert glow in the dark? The plastic looks to be the right color.

I just tested, and it does not. The plastic seems to be light azure, not their glow in the dark plastic.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sweet, managed to get my hands on the Jedi Fighter from 2012 and the Ghostbusters car for retail price. Haven't built either yet but I have to say I'm impressed with how the Ghostbusters stuff was packaged. Box was a little nicer and flips open, with a far nicer build manual. Also, it doesn't look like there's any stickers, so thank god for that.

Also, it's the lamest thing, but I kind of want to buy a set I don't think I like that much just because it has a minifig I kinda want and figure will probably stop showing up.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Does Target have different release date on the Simpsons minifigs other than May 1 with the exception of one(which put out theirs) when I check brick seek all of them around me show like 60 in hand, 59 available for sale, but none have them out for sale. When I asked a few employees they either didn't know or was told oh maybe they come out later.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not that I know of.. my local Target had them on the shelves May 1. Well more specifically they had empty boxes on the shelves on May 1 because the jorts crew had come through and cleaned everything out.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

NESguerilla posted:

The page I made for my little robot went up. Some peeps seemed to like it. Some goon votes would be rad.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/102702

Sorry for the shameless self promotion post.

Will support when I get home.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

Bushifox posted:

Unless you get a message from them saying "No" or ""Sorry"", you should be alright.

A while back I had ordered the Exo-Suit and Spaceship^3. The Exo-Suit was on backorder, which is better that "out of stock". Then my Shop.Lego account looked all screwy. The freebie (mini Mini, I think) was stated as shipped, the Exo-Suit had a ship by date, and there was no Spaceship. I sent them a polite email just asking about the order and got a response within 8 hrs. saying that everything was okay and they were having some technical difficulties. Everything showed up in the same box. The Exo-Suit almost two weeks before the ship by date.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

Hey Eurogoons, this Bricklink store seems like a pretty obvious scam, considering the regdate and the one piece of positive feedback from another store with prices too good to be true. I'm pretty new to bricklink though, maybe scams are a dime a dozen there.

I was looking around for a cheap B-Wing, and he was selling one for €150. Out of curiosity I asked for pictures of the box and I was actually sent a couple that I couldn't find though a quick Google Search. Still though, that ~new sealed~ 2006 Star Destroyer for €160 just raises all kinds of red flags.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Electrophotonic posted:

Hey Eurogoons, this Bricklink store seems like a pretty obvious scam, considering the regdate and the one piece of positive feedback from another store with prices too good to be true. I'm pretty new to bricklink though, maybe scams are a dime a dozen there.

I was looking around for a cheap B-Wing, and he was selling one for €150. Out of curiosity I asked for pictures of the box and I was actually sent a couple that I couldn't find though a quick Google Search. Still though, that ~new sealed~ 2006 Star Destroyer for €160 just raises all kinds of red flags.

Those seem about in-line with what they are going for in the states. Saw a few sealed go on ebay for around 180 u.s.d.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Yeah, the valuable Star Destroyer was the 2002 10030 UCS kit. The other two 'minifig scale' Star Destroyers, 6211 and 75055 were/are pretty common and reasonably priced. I seem to recall reading that the 6211 set wasn't great, either.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

6211 was still collecting dust on store shelves three years ago here because it sold so badly. No idea how good the other prices are and not trying to say the store is not a scam.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Oxyclean posted:

Also, it's the lamest thing, but I kind of want to buy a set I don't think I like that much just because it has a minifig I kinda want and figure will probably stop showing up.

I'm thinking about pre-ordering the Lego Jurassic World video game just to get the Dr Wu minifig :shobon:

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I actually really like 6211, despite its flaws. Yeah the bottom is unstable, and yeah the helmet thing is worthless. And yeah, the bridge is open to space. There's so many cool features about it though, like the escape pod, blaster compartment, Tarkin, Vaders mediation chamber, etc. I don't know how it compares to the new one, but it's a pretty neat set.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I got set 6211 and it is cool and I like it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, I kinda like the 6211 Star Destroyer - I mean, when I was much younger when I picked it up and I never had the money/chance to buy the UCS one but it's still a pretty nice build. I think I like the design of the turrets on the new one much, much more, to the point I'm almost tempted to get one, but then I realize I have nowhere to put it.

I like that they put the silly mouse droid in both versions though.

e: Although the engines on the 6211 are way cooler.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Chairchucker posted:

I got set 6211 and it is cool and I like it.

I like my 6211. It sits by the ucs just fine. I've bought the newest but have yet to assemble.