Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

My prediction based on nothing but my gut is that this won't do crazy week-one money like Avengers but will rather be a steady moneymaker over many weeks as word-of-mouth attracts more and more people to it.

The minimalistic dialog is going to make this a super hit on foreign markets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

That's disappointing, though I am not going out of my way to believe this just yet because the character actually exists in the movie so maybe there is some confusion as they are tied.
Though I will point out that an original character name has been used for a vehicle. Razor Cola was intended to be one of Bullet Farmer's main henchmen but as far as I understand it may very well be the title of a feature vehicle.

EDIT A recently updated IMDB page that has more had more characters listed than ever still has John Howard listed as People Eater...

Closure and complete explanation is unnecessary, when the audience is spoonfed every minute detail it eliminates the need for imagination. People who hate films because "They don't explain enough" are idiots (Unless the thing not explained is something that actually ruins the film and is a result of poor writing, of course), but I'll answer as vaguely as possible.

1. Because the air is toxic.
2. Because it is cool, deal with it.
3. Because that's what they do?
4. Because the air is toxic.

It could be a typo. The People Eater would be a cool name for the leader of Gasstown. The implication I get about him is that he is some kind of brutal no nonsense villain.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

jeeves posted:

The minimalistic dialog is going to make this a super hit on foreign markets.

Great point, I hadn't even considered that.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Following the "whole world's gone mad" theme makes me think about how nutty all these leaders are and how their resources create this weird equilibrium in the wasteland-

Immortan Joe being a crazy cult leader and controlling all the water. You need water to live; I bet people are willing to believe a lot in order to survive.

The People Eater being maybe some libertarian type who would feel right at home in a future as dire as Mad Max's world. You need guzzoline to migrate from resource to resource; without it a gang would be completely isolated.

The Bullet Farmer being a doomsday prepper ending up on the top of the food chain. These characters don't need elaborate backstories; this particular leader was probably just some nut living in the Outback who was hoarding a mountain of ammunition long before the start of the chaos. He wouldn't have to be charismatic, bullets themselves could very likely be a currency in a land of such scarcity. You'd need bullets to both protect yourself from desperate enemies.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Dan Didio posted:

It's just a modified Ford Falcon Coupe.

"Just"

gently caress YOU

quote:

Old 3/5 window 40's coupes aren't that terribly rare and considering the state of the bodywork these were probably just laying around in a scrap heap somewhere

One of my uncles did resto work - not much of the metal shown would be scrap. Some of the Holdens and Falcons esp are pretty much at the stage where anything in a boneyard would be long gone either to China or restoration spares.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Cat Terrist posted:

"Just"

gently caress YOU

Agreed :mad:

Also, who cares if poo poo gets explained. As was said, it's the telling of a myth handed down through spoken word. Only the original tells a direct story. RW and BT are explained via narration, and there's details that never get explained. Even the most general explanation of why civilization collapses is never fully expanded on. Is it society collapsing because of decadence and hedonism? Climate change? The disappearance of fossil fuels? A nuclear war? A combination of some or all of these? It's never explained in a full and consistent manner, and not only does that not matter, IMO, it actually adds substantially to what makes this series compelling.

If you were living day to day in the wasteland, how much would those details matter to you? It's completely irrelevant, because it happened in the past and isn't going to help you find food, water or guzzoline :black101:

e- Here's the Road Warrior intro. It says the two great tribes had a war, but that's all you get. The viewer assumes it's a nuclear war between the US and USSR due to the contemporary political situation, but even that isn't known as fact. Maybe it was a nuclear war, and maybe it was between the US and USSR, but who knows for sure? It touches on oil, but doesn't specifically state that oil was running out or that the war was a result of that. Just that society needed oil, and without oil society fell. In the first film, society is arguably already collapsing in some way, but there's clearly still fuel of some quantity. It might be that drinkable water is what becomes scarce due to climate change, and the war results from that making the workers and infrastructure needed to pump and transport oil scarce in the aftermath.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 11, 2015

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Maybe for the last film it turns out it's only Australia that's affected and the rest of the world is this bustling civilization in 2060. Eventually the UN gets around to helping out and finds a desert of all these bandits.

If you look at some places in real life in the grip of civil war or natural disaster, it's not far from the Mad Max universe. Everything is scarce, and the only people who choose to stay are those unable to leave and the warlords that rule them.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Down to 97% now on RT :v:

quote:

Noisy, explosive and visually spectacular but depressingly hollow.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
That dude is gonna get death threats.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

I half expect to watch this movie on Friday and wonder what the gently caress this guy was watching.

e: I also rewatched Thunderdome over the weekend and have since turned around on my feeling that Thunderdome is a bad movie

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Panfilo posted:

Maybe for the last film it turns out it's only Australia that's affected and the rest of the world is this bustling civilization in 2060. Eventually the UN gets around to helping out and finds a desert of all these bandits.

If you look at some places in real life in the grip of civil war or natural disaster, it's not far from the Mad Max universe. Everything is scarce, and the only people who choose to stay are those unable to leave and the warlords that rule them.

I've been a post-apoc junkie since I played Fallout in middle school. At the time I liked to imagine that The Road Warrior took place after a full nuclear exchange because I found it a very evocative setting. Now that I'm older it seems much darker to imagine the second film taking place in a crumbling world not long after the first film. As I recall, the Road Warrior intro mentions Max entering the wasteland; it's much drearier to imagine it taking place in a world where a decaying society is still carrying on the best it can outside the wasteland, but lacks the resources and will to do anything about the chaos playing out in the wasteland.

dreffen posted:

Down to 97% now on RT :v:

That dude also thought Get Hard and Fifty Shades were good.

TerminalSaint fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 12, 2015

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The one bad review, btw, is literally "whenever Mad Max wasn't on the screen I was thinking 'Where is Mad Max?'"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TerminalSaint posted:

I've been a post-apoc junkie since I played Fallout in middle school. At the time I liked to imagine that The Road Warrior took place after a full nuclear exchange because I found it a very evocative setting. Now that I'm older it seems much darker to imagine the second film taking place in a crumbling world not long after the first film. As I recall, the Road Warrior intro mentions Max entering the wasteland; it's much drearier to imagine it taking place in a world where a decaying society is still carrying on the best it can outside the wasteland, but lacks the resources and will to do anything about the chaos playing out in the wasteland.

That dude also thought Get Hard and Fifty Shades were good.

The slow collapse is a much scarier idea, I agree.

Mac Con
Apr 23, 2014
How the hell does that Mirror piece even constitute a review? It's like 3 paragraphs and as someone above said, literally the only complaint is that Mad Max doesn't get enough screentime. I don't usually give much of a poo poo about RT as a metric for movies, but it would kind of suck if that one review keeps it from getting a 100%.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Choice quote

http://www.villagevoice.com/2015-05-06/film/mad-max-fury-road-review/

quote:

It's an end-of-the-world thriller that can bum you out by suggesting the death of our own film culture. About 90 minutes in, as spiked-over jalopies caromed again and again into Theron's big rig, my dazzlement sank into something like horror: What if the wasteland rage of Fury Road is the only feeling studio movies of the future bother to stir in us? We're strapped to the hood, and who knows what's being siphoned from us.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
If anyone has seen it, how prevalent is the kinda rapey stuff and how clumsily is it handled? The thing we read about mother's milk has raised some eyebrows perhaps.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
I was genuinely curious to hear some legitimate criticism about this film, especially with all the rave reviews. It reads like half a finished thought, I kept scrolling down to read the rest of it only to realize that this "review" was loving rubbish.

Thursday can't come soon enough.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ShineDog posted:

If anyone has seen it, how prevalent is the kinda rapey stuff and how clumsily is it handled? The thing we read about mother's milk has raised some eyebrows perhaps.

Not.

In fact one of the better (?!) things about the movie is the violence isn't really glorified or played up at all. It's absolutely there, and there's some really brutal stuff, but it's very... I'm not sure how to put it. Matter of fact? It's the wasteland, awful poo poo happens. I've seen a loooot of other movies that had less total action/combat/violence than this movie but were much more yuck-inducing.

(every movie has less total action than this movie)

But if you have problems with scantily clad women being involved in said violence (in a non sexual manner), you might have an issue.

Mostly, you can strap in for two hours of adrenaline injected into your veins. Clear your drat bladder before you see this, you don't want to miss a second.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I am happy that this is getting a positive reception. It's the movie i've been looking forward to most this year and hearing that it might just actually be really good is neat

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

VikingSkull posted:

A nuclear war?

Beyond Thunderdome explicitly suggests there was, at the very least, something nuclear.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

victrix posted:

Not.

In fact one of the better (?!) things about the movie is the violence isn't really glorified or played up at all. It's absolutely there, and there's some really brutal stuff, but it's very... I'm not sure how to put it. Matter of fact? It's the wasteland, awful poo poo happens. I've seen a loooot of other movies that had less total action/combat/violence than this movie but were much more yuck-inducing.

(every movie has less total action than this movie)

But if you have problems with scantily clad women being involved in said violence (in a non sexual manner), you might have an issue.

Mostly, you can strap in for two hours of adrenaline injected into your veins. Clear your drat bladder before you see this, you don't want to miss a second.

I'd be seeing it regardless because Mad Max 2 is my all time favourite film, it's just several of my group are (justifiedly, imo) rather fed up of women being wheeled on in a minor tropey role to look pretty, be threatened, and spend the movie achieving very little. It sounds like this film is better than that, I just think some of the stuff in the trailer made it look like that was the case.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ShineDog posted:

I'd be seeing it regardless because Mad Max 2 is my all time favourite film, it's just several of my group are (justifiedly, imo) rather fed up of women being wheeled on in a minor tropey role to look pretty, be threatened, and spend the movie achieving very little. It sounds like this film is better than that, I just think some of the stuff in the trailer made it look like that was the case.

I've heard exactly the opposite, that the women are pretty much ultra motherfuckers at the forefront and the plot is largely centered around them fighting against the big bad

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

MinibarMatchman posted:

I've heard exactly the opposite, that the women are pretty much ultra motherfuckers at the forefront and the plot is largely centered around them fighting against the big bad

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

ShineDog posted:

Eve Ensler, author of The Vagina Monologues posted:

George was looking to create empowered women, not victims, and I think he accomplished that. I don’t remember seeing so many women of all different ages in any movie before. I was really blown away by the older women in the film who were just as good fighters as the men. I’d never seen that before. They all have so much agency and independence.

Charlize’s character is also really fierce. But at the same time, she’s compassionate. And that’s a hard thing to pull off. All the women felt full in terms of their backstory. Even something subtle like their clothes in the film: they’re stripped down and vulnerable and objectified in the beginning. By the end, they have their clothes on. They’ve taken their bodies back and themselves back in some essential way.

And the journey of the film: women who are willing to give up enslaved comfort for liberation and risk death to do it. It’s the rising feminine rebelling against the patriarchy.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Again, just because it can't be repeated enough, Eve Ensler, the woman who wrote the Vagina Monologues, who traveled overseas to work with rape victims in third world countries, was hired on as a consultant for this film and called it a feminist action movie. Apparently the only way this movie couldn't knock your socks off is if you wrote for the Mirror.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 12, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Blind Sally posted:

Beyond Thunderdome explicitly suggests there was, at the very least, something nuclear.

True, but it's a vague reference in the third film and doesn't really explain who started it or why, or the scale of the war. You have to watch all three films to even get a slight backstory.

This is the timeline I most agree with.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
I was worried about the "brides" being just objects before watching the film too but they are very much characters with their own agency and different views on where they've been, where they're going, and what they should do to get there. Imperator Furiosa also drives a huge amount of the plot (literally hohoho) and the film never once treats her or the brides as anything less than fully realized people.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The thing with dissenting reviews is that most of the time they're just loving clickbait. When everybody seems to love/hate a movie except for SITE X, that's the one you click on. It'd be nice to weigh that into meta reviews somehow.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

TerminalSaint posted:

It's cool because Mad Max 2 and Thunderdome suggest a world so vast and depopulated that that's totally possible. Mad Max does it explicitly, he rides into the wasteland at the end of the first movie. I definitely got the impression that Mad Max 2 is only a few years later since things in general are so broken down by the end of Mad Max. You get a bit of this in the beginning of Mad Max as well. The danger with the crazies and gangbangers is less that they exist and more that they get near "civilization."

Something I love about Mad Max is how Toecutter's gang is nuts but Toecutter himself is so nuts that, even when he's talking to Jessie about her face coming off he's like, it's amazing. It's like every time he encounters a person his goal is to make that person into someone ruthless and crazy enough to become the Nightrider. The same way Fifi is obsessed with keeping Max around to turn into a "hero" for the people by being the face of the MFP. Max realizes that society as broken down so much that they're the same thing, and in Mad Max 2 we see that come to with two gangs merged into one huge gang, one of former cops and one of the former criminal crazies.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Interesting. Could Johnny the Boy be to Max as the Toecutter is to Fifi? That is to say, if Fifi is grooming Max to be his next hero, could it be that Toecutter is grooming Johnny the Boy to be the next icon for his gang of crazies? It certainly seems like he wants Johnny the Boy to be the next Nightrider, what with the ocean-side chat, the burning of Goose, and Bubba Zanetti's line: "He'll never learn. He'll never be the Nightrider".

It makes the final meeting between Johnny and Max ever more poignant. The two "heroes" of the MFP and bike gang meet, and society has crumbled to such a point that what emerges from the wreckage of burning flesh and steel is a person we don't really recognize. A fella who could realistically be an icon for either the MFP or the bikers.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Obligatory question to all goons who've seen it already: is the 3-D worth it?

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
I remember reading somewhere 2D is Miller's preferred version, but that might be bullshit.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Obligatory question to all goons who've seen it already: is the 3-D worth it?
Also need to know this

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just watched mad max 1 for the first time (I've never seen a mad max film) and it's so weird because I know through pop culture that it's all desert and apocalypse stuff but this first one has almost none of that.

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Just watched mad max 1 for the first time (I've never seen a mad max film) and it's so weird because I know through pop culture that it's all desert and apocalypse stuff but this first one has almost none of that.

Greeting from the humungus. the lord humungus. the warrior of the wasteland. the ayatollah of ROCKNROLLA.
Those were the early days when society was in its last throes. Watch #2 now and enjoy the landscape

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

bullet3 posted:

I remember reading somewhere 2D is Miller's preferred version, but that might be bullshit.

I prefer 2D all day but sadly I don't have an option in the cinemas showing this within a sensible distance. :/

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

The REAL Goobusters posted:

It's like the Rambo/First Blood thing where the cultural memory is completely off as to what it actually was.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

bullet3 posted:

2D is how he's screened it for almost everyone ahead of time, which would suggest it's how he prefers people to see the movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Also remember if you don't edit for 3D (minimum 2 seconds shots, more or less) poo poo gets ugly.

It also dulls the colors.

I like 3D but this is probably not the movie for it. See it in 2D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Thank you George Miller for this birthday present. Can't wait until Thursday to see this.

• Locked thread