Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Davos would be a bad peacetime Hand. Dude can barely read, and while he seems to be a decent leader of men in a conflict scenario, I don't know how he'd do against crooked maesters and handling the kings court. Stannis could retain him as Hand, of course, but he'd probably just always defer to the Master Of ___ unless the topic was war or trade.

Also I agree with the dude from the last page that commented on Dinklage's acting with Drogon showed up. I rewound that scene a couple times. Great expression and not overacted beyond what the character would do. Great music in that scene too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Madurai posted:

Or, she's demanding absolute control of the city because she remembers what happened in Yunkai when she left.

what happened in Yunkai? wheres Yunkai?

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Are we sure he is actually the blood son of Jon Arryn and Lysa Arryn though? Lysa always had a thing for Baelish, and lived in King's Landing. Jon Arryn meanwhile seems like he was probably a somewhat capable fighter in his day, unlike Robin, who would be a fine stand-in for Baelish in his stories about his youth. It seems entirely in Baelish's character to 1. get busy with a Catelyn stand-in, 2. get back at the boys with a talent for violence by making Jon Arryn a cuckold, so I think it makes sense.

Oh you make a great point. I hadn't really even considered that, but it definitely makes a lot of sense!

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
so are we going to see Benjen Stark on John's next trip North?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

My Dad's GoT summary so far:

"Jeffery's dead, Selassie is the queen now."

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

SexyBlindfold posted:

None of the pretenders to the throne in GoT are good, but most have the potential to be good.

Stannis would be a pretty decent ruler if it wasn't for the whole "will probably burn millions alive for not submitting to his bullshit rear end in a top hat god" thing. I mean he killed his own brother, too, but frankly it seems you can't throw a rock in Westeros without hitting someone who's killed his brother. Yeah he's a humorless prick, but his hard rule would be tempered by Davos being a good Hand and Shireen being a good heir. Basically the only thing currently keeping Stannis from "pretty alright" territory and grounded firmly in "sometimes alright, sometimes a piece of poo poo" is Melisandre. I wouldn't be surprised if Stannis's arc climaxes with him being forced to decide between sacrificing Shireen/Davos or killing Melisandre.

Dany appears to be equal parts her dad (otherkin Hitler) and her oldest brother (wise, perfect and beautiful warrior poet loved by all). I do think people don't often give her credit for freeing a shitload of slaves, which might objectively be the Best Thing anyone in a position of power has done so far in the show, but she always does seem to be a step away from making Extremely Bad Decisions. Now that she seems to have somewhat sobered up and considered listening to advice for a change, she really needs quality counselors, and it's to be hoped that Varys and Tyrion might fill that spot.

Tommen... well, Tommen is pretty much as ineffectual as a king can be. It seems pretty unlikely he'll whip up the gumption to actually stand up to anyone anytime soon, so basically his main hope for not sucking as a ruler is for the infighting within his circle of advisors end up with someone capable in charge.

"Stannis would be good if you ignore the religious persecution / genocide". The thing keeping Stannis from being "pretty alright" is also literally the only reason he didn't surrender to Renly years ago. You can't separate Stannis the King from Stannis the religious zealot because one directly drives the other. I do agree Mel is likely gonna want to burn up the princess, and Stannis will have to make a decision.

Calling the Mad King Hitler right after praising Stannis is super weird, since the Mad King didn't persecute and exterminate people; he was just a cruel whimsical bastard. He was, effectively, Joffrey.
Also Rhaegar is only 'perfect' or 'wise' if you ignore the brutal consequences of his lust. He literally plunged the kingdom into war and got his whole family killed.

Tommen is a literal child who was raised to be useless, hard to blame him

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Are we sure he is actually the blood son of Jon Arryn and Lysa Arryn though? Lysa always had a thing for Baelish, and lived in King's Landing. Jon Arryn meanwhile seems like he was probably a somewhat capable fighter in his day, unlike Robin, who would be a fine stand-in for Baelish in his stories about his youth. It seems entirely in Baelish's character to 1. get busy with a Catelyn stand-in, 2. get back at the boys with a talent for violence by making Jon Arryn a cuckold, so I think it makes sense.

It's definitely a possibility; Lysa was crazy nuts over Littlefinger, and helped kill her husband, so it's not implausible that he started seducing her much earlier... The only arguments against it are that Lysa was not really the patient kind of crazy, and Littlefinger has made it clearly he only had eyes for Cat (and holy poo poo did Lysa not compare to Cat). He and Jaime share the rather uncommon trait of seeming to honestly only want one person.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Stannis' conversion to Melissandre's faith seems to have something to do with Shiree's condition, so I assume the cure is fire. In conclusion; Jorah will appear before Dany, get roasted by Drogon right in front of her, and have his skin condition cured with no other ill effects. He will then return to his former position as adviser, grumbling whenever he's reminded that Dany is married. Daario will also repeatedly remind him that he managed to get into her bed, multiple times. Tyrion meanwhile will help build up the new non-slave based economy by patronizing the bars and brothels of the city.

Shireen got cured years before Melisandre came and seduced Stannis into becoming a psycho killer. I don't think any fire has been discussed in relation to curing her (also it seems like people definitely would've tried that)

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Firstborn posted:

I'm really bummed out about Jorah. It's 100% about how good an actor Iain Glen is.

Iain Glen makes it difficult for me to remember that Jorah is not supposed to be a KILF

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bobo the Red posted:

"Stannis would be good if you ignore the religious persecution / genocide".
A little persecution of a few nobles does not a genocide make.

Bobo the Red posted:

It's definitely a possibility; Lysa was crazy nuts over Littlefinger, and helped kill her husband, so it's not implausible that he started seducing her much earlier... The only arguments against it are that Lysa was not really the patient kind of crazy, and Littlefinger has made it clearly he only had eyes for Cat (and holy poo poo did Lysa not compare to Cat). He and Jaime share the rather uncommon trait of seeming to honestly only want one person.
Littlefinger might have had a thing with her early on, just to get the worst disappointment over losing Catelyn out of his system. He could still have played Lysa since then, just to get the inside scoop on the Hand of the King, playing the whole thing up as some star crossed lovers thing. From Catelyn's reaction to her it seems like Lysa wasn't always as crazy as she was when we saw her, so it might have been easier to string her along back in the day. Hell, manipulating Lysa was probably good training for someone planning to become a master schemer, which I assume Littlefinger wasn't back then. Otherwise he would surely have engineered the downfall of anyone potentially standing in the way of him and Catelyn.

Bobo the Red posted:

Shireen got cured years before Melisandre came and seduced Stannis into becoming a psycho killer. I don't think any fire has been discussed in relation to curing her (also it seems like people definitely would've tried that)
Like I'm going to trust the word of a heathen. You don't even recognize Stannis as the rightful king. Really though, I was thinking magical fire specifically, plus who's to say Melisandre was the first red priest to visit? Stannis might have been introduced to the faith years before, and then Melisandre came later and gave him the final push. What I'm saying is, please do not undermine my theory of why Jorah will go back to being the Knight of Printers.

smooth jazz posted:

My Dad's GoT summary so far:

"Jeffery's dead, Selassie is the queen now."
Rastafarianism is the one true religion.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Factor Mystic posted:

Davos would be a bad peacetime Hand. Dude can barely read, and while he seems to be a decent leader of men in a conflict scenario, I don't know how he'd do against crooked maesters and handling the kings court. Stannis could retain him as Hand, of course, but he'd probably just always defer to the Master Of ___ unless the topic was war or trade.

It's hard to say how Davos would do against someone like Littlefinger or Varys but let's remember he spent a lot of his life dealing with other smugglers and pirates and other people who may try to lie and cheat him. He is no Ned Stark.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

TommyGun85 posted:

what happened in Yunkai? wheres Yunkai?

Yunkai was where Dany met Daario, and really dedicated herself to fighting slavery as a concept. Unfortunately, by the time she was getting settled in Meereen, and considering whether or not to keep going for Westeros, she got word that the old slave masters took back control of Yunkai and had re-enslaved the freedmen. So what she's trying to do now is go Reconstruction Era on Slaver's Bay, but its not working out well so far.

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010

SexyBlindfold posted:

None of the pretenders to the throne in GoT are good, but most have the potential to be good.

Stannis would be a pretty decent ruler if it wasn't for the whole "will probably burn millions alive for not submitting to his bullshit rear end in a top hat god" thing. I mean he killed his own brother, too, but frankly it seems you can't throw a rock in Westeros without hitting someone who's killed his brother. Yeah he's a humorless prick, but his hard rule would be tempered by Davos being a good Hand and Shireen being a good heir. Basically the only thing currently keeping Stannis from "pretty alright" territory and grounded firmly in "sometimes alright, sometimes a piece of poo poo" is Melisandre. I wouldn't be surprised if Stannis's arc climaxes with him being forced to decide between sacrificing Shireen/Davos or killing Melisandre.

Shireen is totally burning.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

2 mythos questions:

Is Valyria supposed to be an analog for the Roman Empire?

Winters are a regular thing, so what makes this one different? Is it just the white walkers?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Bobo the Red posted:

"Stannis would be good if you ignore the religious persecution / genocide". The thing keeping Stannis from being "pretty alright" is also literally the only reason he didn't surrender to Renly years ago. You can't separate Stannis the King from Stannis the religious zealot because one directly drives the other. I do agree Mel is likely gonna want to burn up the princess, and Stannis will have to make a decision.
We get it already, you really really don't like Stannis!

Bobo the Red posted:

It's definitely a possibility; Lysa was crazy nuts over Littlefinger, and helped kill her husband, so it's not implausible that he started seducing her much earlier... The only arguments against it are that Lysa was not really the patient kind of crazy, and Littlefinger has made it clearly he only had eyes for Cat (and holy poo poo did Lysa not compare to Cat).
It's heavily implied Littlefinger conquered that territory while he was still a Tully ward, so yes... much earlier.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Josh Lyman posted:

2 mythos questions:

Winters are a regular thing, so what makes this one different? Is it just the white walkers?

-Yes, but with Dragons and magic

-Winters in GoT are more like years-to-decade long blizzards and minus temperatures rather than a seasonal thing. There's no sunlight for the whole winter making poo poo really inhospitable for everything and everyone. Kind of makes you wonder how they managed to preserve food for so long though.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

2 mythos questions:

"Winters" in Westeros are not regular and when they come they spread from the north like a mini ice age and last for years. Summers also last for years - the current one has been going on for over 9 years when the show started. Importantly there is no way to predict the length of the seasons

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Away all Goats posted:

It's hard to say how Davos would do against someone like Littlefinger or Varys but let's remember he spent a lot of his life dealing with other smugglers and pirates and other people who may try to lie and cheat him. He is no Ned Stark.

He also singlehandedly convinced the Iron Bank to back Stannis. Dude knows what he's doing.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

2 mythos questions:

1) Valyria is very much Rome, though it shares a number of parallels with great Empires across history. Discounting the dragons, you've got stuff like the continued prominence of their ancient roads, the perception of being an advanced culture technologically ahead of those who came after, holding off/contesting horse riding 'savages' from the east, their downfall being lamented as a loss of civilisation, and their expansion being contested another larger empire that had grown before them (the Ghiscari being Carthage).

2) Whilst winter lasts several years in this world, they're normally like, 3-5 years long. The oncoming winter (as Jon Snow will ever remind you that is) is predicted to last much longer than usual though, beyond the capacity of the Maesters to really determine how long it will last. Its likely (if not meant to be) the second coming of the Long Night, which was a winter that lasted a generation (ie, 20+ years) and brought the White Walkers with it. It's unknown if such a winter heralds the White Walkers, or if they bring it with them, but if it hits in full force, it's basically an Ice Age coming down on Westeros (if not the world).

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Winters don't actually last for more than several years or decades, but they're incredibly brutal. In this scene, Tyrion (who's probably in his mid-30s) has only seen 9 winters and implies a 3 year winter was considered long.

A long summer usually leads to a long winter, and this summer has been unusually long at 9-10 years (Bran hasn't experienced a winter yet, hence the "sweet summer child").

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The reason areas like the Reach and Dorne are so relatively well-off compared to the rest of Westeros is that parts of them tend to stay temperate even during Winter. But it turbofucks the North, freezes over the Riverlands and the Vale and hits the Crownlands and Stormlands pretty hard too.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

whoflungpoop posted:

Iain Glen makes it difficult for me to remember that Jorah is not supposed to be a KILF

I fail to see how he's a Korean you'd like to gently caress.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
The whole winter thing is pretty dumb, isn't it? I don't think many animals or even plants would be able to handle that kind of unpredictable and hostile environment. Darkness for multiple years would pretty much mean everything dies.

Also, how do they even have a concept of years if seasons are variable?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is it ever explained how they measure what a "year" is with the seasons all fucky?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The same way we did I would imagine. Astronomy

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Capilarean posted:

The whole winter thing is pretty dumb, isn't it? I don't think many animals or even plants would be able to handle that kind of unpredictable and hostile environment. Darkness for multiple years would pretty much mean everything dies.

One part depends on the nature of the ecology which, in a fantasy world, could be distinct from its real world equivalents. Ie, stuff could equally hibernate for 'years', and wake up just dandy once winter turns to spring.

The other part would depend on the typically scarcely mentioned nature of how precisely the Kingdoms prepare for winter. With multiple years of summer, it'd be the rough equivalent of cultivating upon or near the equator, meaning regularly good weather (well, barring typhoons and such) allowing for an all year harvest, so build up stocks, ration carefully, and voila. Maybe find what crops you can grow through the winter and make them into a staple product for the period to help alleviate demands.

Of course, it'd be easier to see how the heck they handle winters if they actually got to winter. Though I suppose in the series' case, the War of Five Kings kinda screwed over most people's notions of being prepared.

As to the years - you could potentially make the case of tracking star position, but that would only work so much as having the technology to actually measure that kind of thing would allow, so... the Children of the Forest taught them? Hell if I know.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Just because the seasons are magic doesn't mean that they don't have solstices.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

cheetah7071 posted:

Is it ever explained how they measure what a "year" is with the seasons all fucky?

The same way we do, by assigning a random number of days to it?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

JT Jag posted:

The reason areas like the Reach and Dorne are so relatively well-off compared to the rest of Westeros is that parts of them tend to stay temperate even during Winter. But it turbofucks the North, freezes over the Riverlands and the Vale and hits the Crownlands and Stormlands pretty hard too.

Yeah, it seems essentially impossible for a medieval society to survive something like that. Intense winter conditions that persist for a decade without respite, affecting that huge of a population and area. There can't possibly be enough food stored up for it, and importing food from elsewhere probably isn't that much more feasible.

It sounds like "winter" turns the Northlands into Antarctica, an area nobody in a pre-modern context would think to try and settle in the first place. It's an aspect of these stories that makes no sense literally, so I can only perceive "winter" as an allegorical idea.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think the author has said in interviews that we shouldn't expect a complicated hard-scifi explanation involving eccentric orbits or multiple suns or anything like that. The explanation for the variable winters will probably involve magic.

withak fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 12, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Astrologically, I imagine. The maesters have rudimentary middle ages-level technology so they can probably measure when the planet has circumnavigated its star. The seasons don't really give a poo poo about that though.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I like Stannis, although his story blatantly isn't going to have a happy ending, but if anything happens to Shireen then me and this show are going to be having some problems.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Xealot posted:

Yeah, it seems essentially impossible for a medieval society to survive something like that. Intense winter conditions that persist for a decade without respite, affecting that huge of a population and area. There can't possibly be enough food stored up for it, and importing food from elsewhere probably isn't that much more feasible.
Winters that last a decade are very atypical. Usually summers and winters last one to three years. The last time that a winter was predicted to last as long as the one that is coming was 8000 years ago, and what exactly happened then has faded into myth and legend.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

JT Jag posted:

Winters that last a decade are very atypical. Usually summers and winters last one to three years. The last time that a winter was predicted to last as long as the one that is coming was 8000 years ago, and what exactly happened then has faded into myth and legend.

Said myth and legend being rather apocalyptic in nature, so yeah, not everybody makes it through winter in this world.

I'm actually reminded of something that I sadly don't think ever really made it into the show, that being the winter town. The idea of a town that's empty for years in summer, but quite quickly crowds up in winter so everyone can pool their resources to survive.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The reason that Winterfell has survived as long as it has is that it sits on a natural hot spring, so it's heated even during the worst parts of winter. I wouldn't be surprised if many of the older holdfasts in the North have similar arrangements.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
....and wasn't that Night's Watch dick talking about eating peeps when one winter went extra long?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

GORDON posted:

....and wasn't that Night's Watch dick talking about eating peeps when one winter went extra long?
I believe he implied there was a Donner party situation and the rations got so tight on the Wall that people who died of cold found that their watch... wasn't quite over yet.

Of course, he might have been just trying to scare the recruits. But it's believable.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Guys the multi-year seasons is like the fundamental fantasy gimmick of this world. GRRM didn't sit there and logically map out all the consequences, he just said "it's like the middle ages, except there's magic, and ~*~seasons last for years~*~". It's a bit of dream logic that you're just supposed to roll with.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

precision posted:

The same way we do, by assigning a random number of days to it?

... Is that really how you think we measure years? Somebody just decided 365 was a good number? Really??

The entire, millenia-old field of astronomy would like to have some words with you.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Guys the multi-year seasons is like the fundamental fantasy gimmick of this world. GRRM didn't sit there and logically map out all the consequences, he just said "it's like the middle ages, except there's magic, and ~*~seasons last for years~*~". It's a bit of dream logic that you're just supposed to roll with.
The magic I think actually has an internal logic behind it, I'm guessing GRRM has notes about how there are different kinds of magic and how some of them are tied to the existence of dragons and some of them aren't and so on and so forth

The yearlong seasons are just how the world is though.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
"Winter is Coming" is a warning and a reminder. The Northmen are probably always preparing for the next winter. The surviving shorter winters doesn't seem implausible at all: cities can last ages under siege, and the cities in the north still have access to trade and possibly new fish/game the winter brings. The wildlings have survived that sort of climate for millennia, no reason a more organized, more settled people can't endure it for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Capilarean posted:

It's not dark all the time. I've no idea where people are getting that idea, unless they're confusing it with the long night (or they're taking a metaphor about dark days a bit too literally).

It winter. So it's colder and the days are shorter. It's gets less severe the further south you go. I don't think they give much of a poo poo about winter in Dorne for example, whereas it hits the North like a freight train, hence the Stark obsession.

Capilarean posted:

It wasn't always like this.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 12, 2015

• Locked thread