Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

QuarkJets posted:

I have never heard it pronounced as kwark, only kwork. So if you decide to pronounce it as kwark, do so knowing that you aren't using the colloquial pronunciation, the professional pronunciation, or the intended pronunciation

I have just decided that you are the Clarence Thomas of physics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

pronounced "klar-ens th-oo-mass"

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
It's taken the TVA only 36 years to construct a nuclear reactor.

http://knoxblogs.com/humphreyhill/2015/05/11/tva-nuke-plant-launched-in-1979-nears-completion-in-2015/

Up next: Regulators decide whether or not to grant an operating license. Stay tuned.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

It's taken the TVA only 36 years to construct a nuclear reactor.

http://knoxblogs.com/humphreyhill/2015/05/11/tva-nuke-plant-launched-in-1979-nears-completion-in-2015/

Up next: Regulators decide whether or not to grant an operating license. Stay tuned.

Thank goodness they prepped this one for the inevitable tsunamis. Thanks Fukushima!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Well, you know, global warming, man.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

Well, you know, global warming, man.

We have to be prepared for the inevitable Water World future.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

CommieGIR posted:

Thank goodness they prepped this one for the inevitable tsunamis. Thanks Fukushima!

Eh. Some of the precautions are applicable, like ensuring safety in the event of both a slow flood buildup and a sudden flash flood. Watt's Bar is on the Tennessee River, which is heavily dammed. So the site has to survive a probabilistic maximum flood level, which involves (at least for a plant I looked at) combining 72-hour constant heavy rain totals with dam failures. This floods up to a certain elevation, and the site needs to show either how this won't affect their safe shutdown, or how they can reasonably expect to mitigate this risk.

Fukushima led to increased US standards against not just earthquakes and tsunamis, but ANY type of natural disaster. The FLEX strategy requires every plant to assume a worse-than-worse-case scenario, like inexplicable failure of seismic-rated emergency diesel generators in safety-class buildings coupled with complete loss of offsite power for a minimum of 3 days. "What happens if a disaster happens and we take away every built in back-up safety measure?" That's FLEX. It's why I've had to assume a EF-5 tornado would hit a coastal Carolina plant for a couple years on a project I did. It's silly, but safe!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pander posted:

Eh. Some of the precautions are applicable, like ensuring safety in the event of both a slow flood buildup and a sudden flash flood. Watt's Bar is on the Tennessee River, which is heavily dammed. So the site has to survive a probabilistic maximum flood level, which involves (at least for a plant I looked at) combining 72-hour constant heavy rain totals with dam failures. This floods up to a certain elevation, and the site needs to show either how this won't affect their safe shutdown, or how they can reasonably expect to mitigate this risk.

Fukushima led to increased US standards against not just earthquakes and tsunamis, but ANY type of natural disaster. The FLEX strategy requires every plant to assume a worse-than-worse-case scenario, like inexplicable failure of seismic-rated emergency diesel generators in safety-class buildings coupled with complete loss of offsite power for a minimum of 3 days. "What happens if a disaster happens and we take away every built in back-up safety measure?" That's FLEX. It's why I've had to assume a EF-5 tornado would hit a coastal Carolina plant for a couple years on a project I did. It's silly, but safe!

I know, I was partially joking. I understand the need, but its still just fun to poke at especially when it drags construction out for 30+ years.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

CommieGIR posted:

I know, I was partially joking. I understand the need, but its still just fun to poke at especially when it drags construction out for 30+ years.

Not helped by getting dragged down by lawsuits and then sitting around as a spare parts pile for other reactors for most of that time :v:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Letting the community get involved in the construction process is about as helpful as letting the community get involved in vaccination policy. It's generally the scientifically illiterate, NIMBYs, or professional industrial concern trolls like the UCS who show up to create infinity plus one delays. Then they get to cite cost-overruns due to delays as a reason to not build nukes.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Pander posted:

Letting the community get involved in the construction process is about as helpful as letting the community get involved in vaccination policy. It's generally the scientifically illiterate, NIMBYs, or professional industrial concern trolls like the UCS who show up to create infinity plus one delays. Then they get to cite cost-overruns due to delays as a reason to not build nukes.

b-b-but everyone's opinion is valid and must be considered, considering people to be as dumb on most issues as they actually are is mean :qq:

if you want to, i can even produce some expert on things completely unrelated to the relevant subject who will tell you so!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pander posted:

Its been a major detriment to energy production, especially in the South where community involvement tends to devolve into: "Let's promote natural gas and coal because JOBS"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm pretty sure that using appliances powered by electricity that came from a nuclear power plant is a leading cause of autism, be safe everyone

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

QuarkJets posted:

I'm pretty sure that using appliances powered by electricity that came from a nuclear power plant is a leading cause of autism, be safe everyone

y'know the funny thing is, given what we know now about what lead did to the baby boomers, it seems not just reasonable but a total given that coal power is causing something at least as bad as autism

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

StabbinHobo posted:

y'know the funny thing is, given what we know now about what lead did to the baby boomers, it seems not just reasonable but a total given that coal power is causing something at least as bad as autism

The lead thing is largely a fallacy. It's the standard "correlation does not equal causation" problem. A whole lot of things happened in society at about the same time lead was coming out of gasoline, so the probability that lead had anything to do with it is quite low.

Crime is well known to be a complex problem with a multitude of overlapping causes. Claiming it can be almost completely explained with one variable is kind of silly.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

The lead thing is largely a fallacy. It's the standard "correlation does not equal causation" problem. A whole lot of things happened in society at about the same time lead was coming out of gasoline, so the probability that lead had anything to do with it is quite low.

Crime is well known to be a complex problem with a multitude of overlapping causes. Claiming it can be almost completely explained with one variable is kind of silly.

Not as a sole factor, but lead is nasty poo poo and it does have measurable effects.

This study, for instance (after controlling for a lot of the obvious factors), blames lead exposure for about 12% of the students who failed 3rd grade subjects.

There's some pretty suggestive data linking fine particular air pollutant levels and increased risk of autism as well, but obviously autism is complicated and there's no single smoking gun.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 12, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Deteriorata posted:

Wait, what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clair_Cameron_Patterson

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pander posted:

Whether or not your argument is valid (personally, I think the impacts on a community matter when developing energy projects and the history of Energy projects is rife with examples of communities that were destroyed for various projects), community involvement has very little to do with why TVA has taken so long to build this plant:

quote:

TVA vastly overestimated the demand for electricity decades ago. In 1966, it announced plans to build 17 nuclear reactors in Tennessee, Alabama and Mississippi. By 1985, TVA canceled plans for almost half those reactors because of a slumping economy and spiraling construction costs.

The construction of Watts Bar 1 proved a big mess. Regulators approved construction in 1973. A dozen years later, TVA officials requested permission to load the plant's radioactive fuel. However, whistleblowers raised concerns about construction, prompting lengthy delays and inspections. In a 1995 summary, NRC inspectors reported they found poorly welded metal, electrical cables that were damaged during installation, and quality assurance records with missing or incorrect information.

It took until 1996 to get the first reactor running.

TVA deferred work on its second reactor, which sat unused and was cannibalized for parts. A contractor, Bechtel Power Corp., estimated in 2007 that finishing it would cost $2.5 billion over five years. The estimate badly missed the mark. The latest projections show the costs will be around $4.3 billion - more expensive than a natural gas plant, but cheaper than building a nuclear plant from scratch.

(http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/29029153/tvas-long-delayed-watts-bar-nuclear-plant-nears-completion)

You can't really blame the UCS for "poorly welded metal, electrical cables that were damaged during installation, and quality assurance records with missing or incorrect information."

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I was referring specifically to the Kevin Drum article in Mother Jones a couple years ago that ascribed the big drop in the crime rate in the 90s to the removal of lead from gasoline in the 70s. That has largely been discredited.

That's not to say that lead is harmless or was a good thing to spew out the tailpipes of cars. It's more that the effects of it would be widespread and subtle and not directly correlated to the crime rate.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deteriorata posted:

I was referring specifically to the Kevin Drum article in Mother Jones a couple years ago that ascribed the big drop in the crime rate in the 90s to the removal of lead from gasoline in the 70s. That has largely been discredited.
got lnks? the parts where the timing worked at both state and county breakdown levels were a lot more than correlation.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

StabbinHobo posted:

got lnks? the parts where the timing worked at both state and county breakdown levels were a lot more than correlation.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27067615

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3829390/

quote:

Abstract

This article assesses the evidence for the hypothesis that a decline in all types of crime since the early 1990s in the USA was a consequence of removing lead from petrol between 1975 and 1985. It describes ecological and econometric studies that have generally but not always found correlations between lead exposures in childhood and some types of crime 20 years later; a small number of epidemiological studies that have found a dose-response relationship between lead exposure in childhood and self-reported and officially recorded criminal offences in young adulthood; and evidence for the biological plausibility of a causal relationship. Lead exposure in childhood may have played a small role in rising and falling crime rates in the USA but it is unlikely to account for the very high percentage of the decline suggested by the ecological studies. The major anomaly in the evidence is that the associations reported in ecological studies are much stronger (explaining 56-90% of the variation in crime rates) than the weaker relationships found in the cohort studies (that typically explain less than 1% of the variance in offending). Suggestions are made for research that will better assess the contribution that reduced lead exposure has made to declining crime rates in the USA.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Deteriorata posted:

That's not to say that lead is harmless or was a good thing to spew out the tailpipes of cars. It's more that the effects of it would be widespread and subtle and not directly correlated to the crime rate.

Ahhh, okay. Gotcha.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that bbc article is very supportive

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

StabbinHobo posted:

that bbc article is very supportive

Not if you read clear to the end.

quote:

But Roger Matthews, professor of criminology at the University of Kent, rejects that. He says biological criminologists completely miss the point.

"I don't see the link," he says. "If this causes some sort of effect, why should those effects be criminal?

"The things that push people into crime are very different kinds of phenomena, not in the nature of their brain tissue. The problem about the theory is that a lot of these [researchers] are not remotely interested or cued into the kinds of things in the mainstream.

"There has been a long history of people trying to link biology to crime - that some people have their eyes too close together, or an extra chromosome, or whatever.

"This stuff gets disproved and disproved. But it keeps popping up. It's like a bad penny."

The problem with the epidemiological data is that it can't link lead exposure in individuals to actual criminal behavior. Areas with more lead had more crime, but it can't show that those people exposed to more lead were more likely to commit crimes. Lead levels could very well be (and likely are) simply markers of other socioeconomic factors.

The studies that actually do look at individuals and their lead exposure versus later criminal behavior shows only a weak correlation.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Trabisnikof posted:

Whether or not your argument is valid (personally, I think the impacts on a community matter when developing energy projects and the history of Energy projects is rife with examples of communities that were destroyed for various projects), community involvement has very little to do with why TVA has taken so long to build this plant:

You can't really blame the UCS for "poorly welded metal, electrical cables that were damaged during installation, and quality assurance records with missing or incorrect information."

Bechtel also hosed up the Trojan plant in Oregon.

EDIT: Whoooops, I misread that, the article doesn't say Bechtel was the contractor for initial construction.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You can now make your own incomprehensible* predictions about nuclear power:
http://thebulletin.org/nuclear-fuel-cycle-cost-calculator/model

* Probably really accurate, but holy crap it doesn't explain the options well.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

EoRaptor posted:

You can now make your own incomprehensible* predictions about nuclear power:
http://thebulletin.org/nuclear-fuel-cycle-cost-calculator/model

* Probably really accurate, but holy crap it doesn't explain the options well.

Interest rate appears to be the single biggest factor in that tool.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That sounds pretty accurate.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

easy kiddo the marxism thread is over there

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Bechtel also hosed up the Trojan plant in Oregon.

EDIT: Whoooops, I misread that, the article doesn't say Bechtel was the contractor for initial construction.

Plenty of blame at Watts Bar to go around....

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2013/feb/05/former-head-of-watts-bar-project-arrested/98821/

http://www.tva.gov/power/nuclear/pdf/wattsbar2_executive_etc.pdf

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

After nothing happening energy-wise for a while, here's a somewhat belated response to the Ecomodernist Manifesto (which basically calls for decoupling human activities from ecological impacts by using e.g. nuclear power or GMOs to spare larger areas of intact habitats from human use) that's currently making the rounds among a number of sustainability academics.

Commentaries on where Political Ecology Went Wrong, Gone Wrong: in which you should wear a helmet in case of sudden urges to slam your head against your desk posted:

The ecomodernist manifesto by the ‘post-environmentalist’ think-tank the Breakthrough Institute starts with premises familiar to political ecologists. Earth has become a human planet. There is no wild nature out there. We are part of nature and we constantly transform it. What landscapes we produce, what we conserve and what not, is a matter of choice. Yet most political ecologists, even the most ‘modernist’ among them, would feel uneasy (or so I hope) with the resulting eco-modernist agenda: nuclear power, genetically modified agriculture and climate geo-engineering—and all this in the name of, well, preserving ‘wilderness’…

How did we come to this point: a pro-nuclear political ecology?

The philosophical premises of the manifesto can be partly traced to the work of Bruno Latour, a supporter of ‘post-environmentalism’. For Latour, there is not—and there should not be—any separation between humans and nature. We have never been truly modern, Latour argues, in so far as existing modernity has sought to liberate humans from nature, and ignore its effects to it. To become truly modern, we have to take final responsibility of our products and their effects: we should control our technological ‘Frankensteins’, rather than shy away from producing them.

Slavoj Zizek, in arguing that ‘nature does not exist’, strikes a similar tone: ‘we are within technology… and we should remain strongly within it’. For Zizek, like Latour, there is no going back to an un-alienated relationship with nature; we should double up our efforts and become in control of our alienation. Zizek’s communist politics are worlds apart from the green, somewhat statist, capitalism of post-environmentalists. But I am afraid that, as far as our metabolic relationship to the non-human world is concerned, the result is the same, independent of whether the control of the means of producing this metabolism is to be private, state or communal.

Claiming that ‘there is nothing unnatural about nuclear power plants’ (paraphrasing David Harvey’s dictum about New York city) we risk reproducing the logic of the Soviet regime, where environmental problems did not exist, in so far as what was being produced was by the people and for the people. A stance on ‘ecology’ is necessary.

Including by the eco-modernizers, whose manifesto without an ‘eco’ becomes a pure call for modernization, advocating nuclear power for the sake of nuclear power. To justify the ‘eco’ in the title, the manifesto performs theoretical acrobatics, arguing that somehow a more intense use of technology will liberate space and resources for preserving wilderness. This is not only factually wrong. It is also inconsistent with the overall premise of the manifesto that there is no wild nature out there independent of us.

Contra Latour, the manifesto continues to treat nature as a means to an end (in that case using this nature more intensively to save that other, wild nature). And it assumes that somehow magically the resource extraction and transformations we conduct ‘here’ will not affect nature ‘out there’. In effect, the manifesto is what Latour criticizes as modernism 1.0; that is, a modernism still premised on the idea of separating ourselves from the non-human world.

Paradoxically, Latour’s own work can come to our rescue from the eco-modernizers. After all, he is the guy who wrote: ‘to modernize or to ecologize – that’s the question’. Indeed, unlike the eco-modernists, Latour argues that the ‘challenge demands more of us than simply embracing technology and innovation. It requires exchanging the modernist notion of modernity for what I have called a “compositionist” [note: what when younger he called ‘ecologist’] one that sees the process of human development as neither liberation from Nature nor as a fall from it, but rather as a process of becoming ever-more attached to, and intimate with, a panoply of nonhuman natures’.
Degrowth sign on Dunsmuir Viaduct, Vancouver (Canada). Source: ecocollectivism.wordpress.com

Degrowth sign on Dunsmuir Viaduct, Vancouver (Canada). Source: ecocollectivism.wordpress.com

And here is the mistake (dare I say in the knowledge that they will never read me) of Latour or Zizek. Recognizing our alienation from nature, and the power to contribute to the production of new socio-natures, does not logically lead to the conclusion that more ‘control’ or more and bigger technology is what we should do.

There are multiple ways in which we can become ‘ever-more attached to … nonhuman natures’. And there are many ways (technologies) and associated socionatures we can produce. We can choose a world of bicycles or spacecrafts and we can choose a world powered by DIY-windmills or by nuclear plants. Each suggests a different type of connection and relation with the non-human world. There is nothing to suggest that we connect more to a river by damming it and using it to produce electricity, than by walking along its shores or talking to it.

The ecologist movement has always been about a different type of connection, both among humans, and between humans and nonhumans. It has advocated smaller scale, and more direct connections, what Ivan Illich called ‘convivial’ relations: technologies that can be controlled by their users, and not by others on their behalf. The ecologist movement was always against nuclear power, not only because of its indisputable and terrible environmental risks and effects, but because it didn’t fit with its vision of the good and just life.

Contra Zizek, the hypothesis for radical ecologists is, as Illich put it, that ‘socialism will come on a bicycle’: large-scale technological systems create a society divided into experts and users. It is only a short pass for the former to become the bureaucrats or the bosses who control and appropriate the surplus of the system. A society powered by nuclear energy cannot be a society of equals or of mutual aid.

The ecologists’ call for limits to growth has mistakenly been thought of as a call for a harmonious co-existence with nature, one of leaving ‘nature’ alone (I am not denying that many ecologists argue for limits on these grounds, but I believe they are wrong). On the contrary, as we have argued elsewhere, the basis for limits should be different: fully aware of our capacity to keep pursuing what can be pursued, the choice is ‘not to’.

:siren:We ecologists do not want to produce radioactive or genetically modified Frankensteins. This ‘not to’ is an affirmative choice for the world we want to produce, a world where we live a simpler life, in common, a world of connection rather than disconnection, approaching rather than distancing, coupling rather than decoupling. A world where we control the controllers. This is an ecological vision.:siren:

The choice has always been, and still is, the same. To modernize or to ecologize? That is the question.

A longer version of this post has been published on degrowth.de.
(bolding and sirens mine)

This article goes some way to explain at least some of the obsession of environmentalists with ~decentralisation~ as an intrinsic good rather than a means to an end, as well as opposition to nuclear power beyond tallying the risks (however erronously) and considering them too large to be worth it.

In addition, I submit that anyone who agrees the call for a ~simpler~ ~connected~ life in the name of capital E ~Ecology~ (for which "ecologism" or "check out this idea I had while on drugs, maaaan" would be better names - ecology is the study of interactions between organisms and their abiotic and biotic environment rather than a political ideology) should have their head checked and be immediately disqualified from making statements on conservation policy. Actually protecting nature, regardless of whether you see it as natural resources or our collective heritage, should not be about satisfying preferences for living in a village that have metastasised to the point of wanting to turn the world into a collection of subsistence farmers.
Panicking over GMOs and :supaburn:ATOMZ:supaburn: to the point of calling them Frankensteins on principle doesn't exactly inspire confidence about the author's ability to stay objective...

Dear author: thank you very much for writing this, and thereby providing a chance for people who confuse their warm and fuzzy feelings about an imaginary version of nature and a vague opposition to capitalism with actual ways of measuring and reducing human impacts on ecosystems to out themselves as idiots.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 31, 2015

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
To save googling, here zizek talk being referred to, but the basic message is that the image of nature as a coherent spiritual entity with a righteous order doesn't exist. In that piece you can see parts of that personalization, "walking along [the rivers] shore's and talking to it", "direct connections" etc.

I'd probably go further and say that 'artificial' doesn't exist either, in that both human-directed and non-human actions shouldn't be valued on that basis - they're both just phenomenon of the universe. Which ones you want to stop or start should depend entirely on what their side-effects/consequences are.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 1, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
France is starting to shut down their nuclear plants......

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
What? I can't find any reference to that online.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sinestro posted:

What? I can't find any reference to that online.

They want a 50% phase out by 2025.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/Country-Profiles/Countries-A-F/France/

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

France is starting to shut down their nuclear plants......

They want to lower their capacity from 75% to 50%.

http://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2015/07/22/france-set-to-back-reducing-reliance-on-nuclear-power

I guess Germany will have to buy its electricity exclusively from the east soon.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It's not a 50% phase out, it's a 50% target with a cap set at the current capacity of 63.2 GWe. It's basically a commitment to not build new nuclear power plants without shutting down old ones first. It's dumb, yes, but not as bad as it sounds.

The same bill also mandates a 50% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions by 2050, including a mandatory 30% reduction in fossil fuel consumption. To meet this without building more nuclear power, they'd have to go into green sources. This is obviously a much better situation than Germany's, where they wound up replacing most of their nuclear power with fossil fuels, even if it's not ideal.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Lurking Haro posted:

I guess Germany will have to buy its electricity exclusively from the east soon.

They will burn more coal; more efficiently, mind you, but more nonetheless.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

ductonius posted:

They will burn more coal; more efficiently, mind you, but more nonetheless.

They should burn CSU politicians first, they are even browner than brown coal :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

It's not a 50% phase out, it's a 50% target with a cap set at the current capacity of 63.2 GWe. It's basically a commitment to not build new nuclear power plants without shutting down old ones first. It's dumb, yes, but not as bad as it sounds.

The same bill also mandates a 50% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions by 2050, including a mandatory 30% reduction in fossil fuel consumption. To meet this without building more nuclear power, they'd have to go into green sources. This is obviously a much better situation than Germany's, where they wound up replacing most of their nuclear power with fossil fuels, even if it's not ideal.

A big part of this is because the French nuclear industry has been bleeding taxpayer money like mad and with no end in sight. AREVA is selling all their profitable assets to EDF it has gotten so bad.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-05-07/edf-said-to-be-ready-to-buy-areva-reactor-engineering-divisions