Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

BLerchg posted:

Ok. These are for STEAM:

Res Publica Key - FBAGR-V7FTM-FNWWQ

Wealth of Nations Key - NITPF-E6XTR-CQI7A

If someone claims these it would be great if he posts here, so others know that they are used and so that i know that they found someone that actually plays the game.

I took Wealth of Nations. Much appreciated. I don't have an extensive steam library so I don't think I have anything to give in return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I'm playing as Japan (well, Takeda) and colonizing across southeast Asia. How should I arrange my merchants and trade fleets in order to actually make money from them instead of just breaking even?

Edit: Not being able to just aim everything at my primary trade node makes this completely incomprehensible. How do I even take the "this will increase our trade value" out of the privateering screen and figure out how much actual money that will get me?

Roadie fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 12, 2015

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Roadie posted:

I'm playing as Japan (well, Takeda) and colonizing across southeast Asia. How should I arrange my merchants and trade fleets in order to actually make money from them instead of just breaking even?

Edit: Not being able to just aim everything at my primary trade node makes this completely incomprehensible. How do I even take the "this will increase our trade value" out of the privateering screen and figure out how much actual money that will get me?

I think your best bet for step one is to get trade power and steer through your node down through China and collect at Malacca. Then slowly keep going west and collect at Cape. I really want to do a colonist Korea game or something like that and try to steer all the way around the world and collect at the Caribbean but I'm not sure if that's a very sane idea. Really hoped than an expansion would come out that could let you go upstream as well since it makes being a colonial power in Asia a fairly inefficient way to play.

Also colonize the Americas even if you aren't planning on collecting there because it'll get you free merchants. If you CAN collect as far as Cape and have control then it's only 2 more hops to the Caribbean and that'd probably be a massive amount of money. Anyone have a good idea on how many merchants it would take to get from Japan to the Caribbean if you had enough ships to steer well?

aeglus fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 12, 2015

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Is there any way to influence the event that lets you choose between permanent base tax increase or manpower boost? or the event where one basetax leaves a random province and is given to your capital?

I have had games where I get these every few decades, and others where it feels like I hit 1700 without having seen a single one. Is it just the capricious RNG or is there something I can be doing to squeeze all the basetax I can possibly get into a single province?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Roadie posted:

In these I'm not Japan, I'm basically Eastern Indonesia/Australia plus a few colonial nations in the Americas but it still applies.

This is from a multiplayer game so I'm not making as many ducats from this I could be. Zanzibar is the richest node in the world, and I'd be making a killing from it if I didn't have to share it and all the trade from the Gulf of Aden and Bengal were being pulled too but I'm not for political reasons and the 38.20 from Malacca to Zanzibar is pretty much exclusively from Indonesia/Australasia. Barely pulling any from China/the Philippines (my trade partner not doing his job). This is with manufactories and the first two production buildings in every province of mine. Haven't had the dip point surplus to build all canals yet.

It doesn't have to be Zanzibar though. You can stretch it as far west as you can. This being a euro-centric game you won't make as much trade income if you keep your trade capital in the east unless you take over China and build up its infrastructure because your chain of trade nodes won't be as long.

I don't have trade ideas, you don't really need them as a colonizer because of the merchants CN's and trade companies give you now (getting 4-5 from them) but I do have expansion and that comes with a trade boost. That and about 400 light ships, coming from the national ideas I picked for myself (15% naval forcelimits modifier and a -15% ship maint), and the naval forcelimit boosts from exploration, quantity and maritime and once I finish maritime there's a maritime-expansion 33% naval forcelimit policy so I'll probably be running +600 light ships by then.

My trade efficiency in Zanzibar comes mostly from being current on dip tech and the chain of merchants. I really shouldn't have built up trade buildings in Zanzibar though as I'm sending no ships there but my trade partner Sumatra needs to send his whole trade fleet to make an equal amount of income there, so I'm doing all the work and only getting 50% of the profit but that's not something you have to worry about in SP.

You just have to experiment with your merchants/trade fleets to see what makes the most, but the general idea is to get a long chain going to someplace you have 100% control of.

420 Gank Mid posted:

Is there any way to influence the event that lets you choose between permanent base tax increase or manpower boost?

Unless they changed it recently taking innovative increases the chance for that event.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 12, 2015

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Thanks to the kind goon who provided the Steam codes and some purchases of my own from Humble Bundle I now have 3 of the DLC packages. I assume my current game wont magically morph into being able to use the DLC?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vulturesrow posted:

Thanks to the kind goon who provided the Steam codes and some purchases of my own from Humble Bundle I now have 3 of the DLC packages. I assume my current game wont magically morph into being able to use the DLC?

It technically can work but you're better off just starting a new one.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

eu4.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grmRK08aAws

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
gently caress France!

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
"Oh I'll just go over 100% for a little bit how bad could it be?"

Holy loving poo poo. Every time I forget how bad it is because I think to myself it couldn't possibly be as bad as I remember. NOPE.

They should just not let you go over 100%. It'd be loving preferable to making the game unplayably miserable for 2 years. I seriously considered uninstalling.

EDIT: Literally >800 rebels and -1 stability after boosting it twice because of 120% overextension.

Futuresight fucked around with this message at 11:25 on May 12, 2015

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Higsian posted:

Holy loving poo poo. Every time I forget how bad it is because I think to myself it couldn't possibly be as bad as I remember. NOPE.

They should just not let you go over 100%. It'd be loving preferable to making the game unplayably miserable for 2 years. I seriously considered uninstalling.

EDIT: Literally >800 rebels and -1 stability after boosting it twice because of 120% overextension.

I'm super greedy on how much I take but even then I only go 60-80%. Stop being Scrooge McDuck dude. If you're taking that much land in one go it's almost certain that there's a vassal you can release and feed to instead unless this is your first or second war in which case condolences for your hard lesson learned.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Higsian posted:

EDIT: Literally >700 rebels and -1 stability after boosting it twice because of 120% overextension.

Maybe you're taking the game a bit too seriously.

And it's not the devs' responsibility to shield players from their own poor decision making by limiting everyone's options for no reason, that's just silly. It clearly warns you against going over 100%, so just don't get so greedy and learn from your mistakes instead of madposting and blaming the game over your own fuckups.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

What's meant by "going over 100%"? Is it overexpansion in terms of taking too much territory too quickly? I'm guessing this is shown in the Stability and Expansion tab? I haven't gotten to the point where I'm at risk of overexpanding yet so I haven't had to learn this stuff.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a reason Administrative Efficiency is a thing.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
I've found instead of quitting games when I've more or less won it's been more fun propping up powers that shouldn't be and making wars on anyone that is France or Austria to be an OK time. I also found out just now that you can set OBJECTIVES on provinces for your colonial powers. I'll say right away that despite having almost full control of both Americas, setting all colonial powers to provinces in Europe did not result in a single landing. That's pretty sad considering that Mali made landings in Portuguese Alaska along with their allies.

I was really hoping they'd land after a year since I was sitting on the bottleneck for the Pyrenees for so long waiting to get a distraction. We both had our full forces sitting right there staring at each other and I just needed a slight shove to get them moving around :(

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Higsian posted:

Overextension >100% is absolutely crippling for small countries (<20 basetax) and for giant empires (>120 basetax)

For middling powers with no major regional threats or coalitions it isn't that bad if you can handle lowering autonomy in the handful of provinces that will get nationalist sentiment or whatever it's actually pretty managable. One really helpful trick I picked up from DDRjake is that whenever you get those super-awful events at high overextension (or really any major negative event with only 1 outcome) just let it sit for as long as possible. It cannot trigger again while it is an active popup and there is a further grace period for a few months where you can not trigger it again. These events have such a low mean time to happen (MTTH) that it can easily be the difference of 3 or 4 additional events.

Also I did it!

And it only took 16 years
Scorching the earth in every province
Stupid French AI putting 30k soldiers on a province with 4% attrition
300+ diplo points reducing war exhaustion
15 loans (with at least 7-10 of those being extended once or more)
Miraculously avoiding the War of the Roses probably saved my life because I had fallen to ~5k manpower when the event for his wife to take over fired and she quickly gained an heir

Baiting 3 different French army stacks through the HRE only to abandon them in Venice, Bavaria, and Gelre by cancelling access in the countries I led them in through.

Burgundy loving that up royally by declaring war and getting access to all the HRE minors that France needed to return.

Somehow having the 4 shock starting general survive at least 2 dozen hit and run battles

edit:

aw gently caress

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 12, 2015

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Cognac McCarthy posted:

What's meant by "going over 100%"? Is it overexpansion in terms of taking too much territory too quickly? I'm guessing this is shown in the Stability and Expansion tab? I haven't gotten to the point where I'm at risk of overexpanding yet so I haven't had to learn this stuff.

Yeah it's "overextension" and it's in that tab. You get I think 4 overextension for every 1 base tax of uncored provinces you own. Getting any of it raises unrest and some other things but the unrest is the biggest, and the big thing to keep in mind is not to let it go above 100% (exactly 100% is okay). Going over 100% opens up events like losing stability and getting unrest and inflation and losing legitimacy and all kinds of things. It's literally so punishing I keep convincing myself it's not as bad as I remember and then I go over and the game turns to poo poo.

Kanfy posted:

Maybe you're taking the game a bit too seriously.

I own all of the Middle East and over half of Europe and in 3-4 separate rolling wars with most of what remains. It's been stressful going and then one click fucks me this hard so yeah it was pretty maddening.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

420 Gank Mid posted:

aw gently caress

Yeah, winning the war isn't even half the battle here. Serious props to Paradox for making a Frangland game challenging beyond the first twenty years.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Managed to reform government as Golden Horde.

... and Crimea annexes the last Genoa province in Crimea.

God damnit. Now I've got to carve a path to Finland to get my achievement.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Yeah, winning the war isn't even half the battle here. Serious props to Paradox for making a Frangland game challenging beyond the first twenty years.

I don't get why France/England don't have the Historical Rival malus here.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Sheep posted:

Can't you just eat Crimea and steal one of those cores off them to westernize?

BLerchg
May 8, 2015

vulturesrow posted:

I took Wealth of Nations. Much appreciated. I don't have an extensive steam library so I don't think I have anything to give in return.

No need to give anything in return. They were cheap and i am stupid and didn't check my steam library before i purchased them in the humble store sale.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

vulturesrow posted:

As long as you were on the current patch it's probably okay. DLC features are generally only things that can be disabled or enabled in the UI, all the core gameplay changes are part of the patches because it needs to be multiplayer compatible.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sheep posted:

Just go take the province from Crimea, Genoa having a core there is good enough to westernize off of if you own it. Or force them to return said province to Genoa in a peace deal.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

BLerchg posted:

No need to give anything in return. They were cheap and i am stupid and didn't check my steam library before i purchased them in the humble store sale.

Since some time last year the steamstore now shows which DLC you own, it's pretty neat.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
So I got that Venice run going after my first try. I found a legitimate use for Maritime ideas. Venice needs them if they want to fight the Ottoman on even footing. I've been doing my best in this run not to take horrific swathes of land. So far I own Venice's base provinces (minus whatever Aquelia is based in, and Istria which I lost to Austria), Ragusa, Cyprus, Constantinople, Biga, the good trade province next to Biga, Edirne, Azov, Cafa. The only reason I even hold Biga and Edirne is because it blocks off the Ottoman. This game has seen some crazy poo poo, like a super powerful Serbia, the rise, fall, rise, fall, rise, fall of Epirus, and an extremely stable HRE which doesn't seem to change other than Austria gaining land. They got the Burgundian inheritance, and seem to have managed to connect their holdings together.

I used to hold Crete and Sinope and had Aquelia as a vassal, but they were not important to the run, so I made a tradeoff. I really wanted Cafa, and Genoa is HRE so I couldn't attack them, but they were allied to Muscovy who are not. So, I attacked Muscovy in a no CB war (no CB, no problem - it only put me up to 98% on internal conflicts before I got it to stop), left Lithuania to take on Muscovy and the Teutons (the Polish-Lithuania union was broken by Austria when they attacked me, the dicks) while I full seiged Genoa down. I got Cafa off of them, then peaced out Muscovy by conceding defeat (that war had no other purpose), and lost those three things mentioned earlier. I don't mind that I lost them, since Sinope was just my path to get to Azov, and Azov was part of my path to Cafa. Crete was wholly unnecessary, and Aquelia I can get back any time by just vassalising them again. I've done it before. Even then, the province Aquelia is on means nothing to me in the grand scheme, I only care about trade power and merchants.

Right now it is about 1520 and I am raking in about 30 ducats a month in the Venetian trade node. Plutocratic being completed will probably boost that a fair bit due to caravans, and the same with trade ideas. So far I have taken none of my staple ideas, it just doesn't look like it would work in this idea for my run. I want to maximise my trade power, and that means not taking all of the land in each node, just the good ones. Then I just build a trade post on the best, and then all of the trade buildings. I hold over 50% in most of the nodes I trade in except Wien. I have a naval forcelimit of about 100, which is due to go up when I eventually take Quality and Exploration ideas. Need those ships and need those merchants. I will probably take expansion too. No idea if I will even bother colonising, it doesn't seem like it would be useful for me.

The next plan is to take Rashid and Alexandria to dominate that node, then I guess I might start moving towards Jerusalem for the bonuses that gives. I also intend to do the thassalocracy thing, but I have no idea how that really works. Do I just need to dominate all of the nodes going into Venice? I already control Venice and Ragusa. I'm not sure how to be the boss in the Cote D'Azur node without pissing off the HRE powers or France though, so that might take a while.

I'm not even sure where this run will take me. I'm not sure how far it really can go, and I don't want to be abandoning Venice as my trade capital. That would be like controlling the British Isles as an Irish minor and tagswitching to Great Britain. I need some dumb ideas of what I should do.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Tahirovic posted:

Since some time last year the steamstore now shows which DLC you own, it's pretty neat.

Looks like you can add them to your wishlist now which I thought you couldn't before (though I may have just been dumb and wrong)

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Venice can access asian trade via gulf of aden and alexandria.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Another Person posted:

I need some dumb ideas of what I should do.

One thing I wanted to do as Venice is to do a "Marco Polo Trading Empire" and just dominate trade all the way to China by conquering critical CoTs and drown your enemies with cash.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Another Person posted:

Do I just need to dominate all of the nodes going into Venice? I already control Venice and Ragusa. I'm not sure how to be the boss in the Cote D'Azur node without pissing off the HRE powers or France though, so that might take a while.

You can get Thalassocracy using trade ships, there's no need to take any land for those trade nodes. Just send enough light ships to dominate those 5 nodes for one month so that the power gets updated, and then you'll be able to get the decision.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It was amazing to see Scandinavia bent on world conquest and then BOOM exploding to nothing

Mali and Songhai seem strong as hell (barely related to that video). Is a West African playthrough recomended?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mans posted:

Is a West African playthrough recomended?
You're in an awful tech group, poor land compared to the glorious Europe, a lot of the lovely tribal governments, the Iberians hate you forever and want to kick your rear end with their superior armies and vastly greater fleets. In other words, YES!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Sheep posted:

I don't get why France/England don't have the Historical Rival malus here.
I actually think it makes sense. If you win the Hundred Years War as England then you're continuing what is largely a dynastic struggle, and not so much a struggle between states. Losing on the other hand means France is almost certainly permanently not controlled by an English king, which instantly makes it the #1 rival to England given its size and proximity. Hell, the French nobility might not mind a king sitting in London, if it meant a freer reign in France. The king choosing to remain in London is really the most unrealistic part, since England was by far the lesser crown at the time.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 12, 2015

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Songhai is especially fun to play because they're beefy and have excellent NIs almost on par with the European powerhouses but once you break out of babbyland (West Africa) everyone else is still scary, and it's harder to westernise since the map changes.

Biggest downside is your starting ruler and heir are awful and super old iirc.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

:crying Free Cyprus flag:

France:

100,000,000 soliders

0 boats

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Well Castile is definitely easy mode. I started the game not doing poo poo to control Sevilla (I even helped Portugal take Tangiers, because I didn't get what a stupid idea that was). But thanks to an automatic union with Aragon I was able to quickly neuter Portugal and take control of 3 provinces in North Africa and Algarve. I could've gone for full vassalization but Portugal had a much bigger New World fleet and I didn't want to deal with having to take their colonies to get that 100% warscore. And to be a dick I made them give 2 North African provinces I didn't want back to Morocco and Fez, who I also hate but who are harmless.

Thanks for the help with my stupid questions everybody, I wouldn't have known which provinces to target (or how to claim them) or which to take in the peace treaty otherwise. Once this game is done I can move on to something a bit more challenging.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Well Castile is definitely easy mode. I started the game not doing poo poo to control Sevilla (I even helped Portugal take Tangiers, because I didn't get what a stupid idea that was). But thanks to an automatic union with Aragon I was able to quickly neuter Portugal and take control of 3 provinces in North Africa and Algarve. I could've gone for full vassalization but Portugal had a much bigger New World fleet and I didn't want to deal with having to take their colonies to get that 100% warscore. And to be a dick I made them give 2 North African provinces I didn't want back to Morocco and Fez, who I also hate but who are harmless.

Thanks for the help with my stupid questions everybody, I wouldn't have known which provinces to target (or how to claim them) or which to take in the peace treaty otherwise. Once this game is done I can move on to something a bit more challenging.

Ottomans are probably easier than Castile, because you don't really have to mess with navies and colonization, you just have to punch people.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

So, as the Revolutionary country, should I just punch everybody in the nose and annex whatever I can or there is something fancier that I am able to do?

(client states?)

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Jackson Taus posted:

Can't you just eat Crimea and steal one of those cores off them to westernize?

Normally that's the obvious option but they've been allied to the Ottomans the entire game and if I break my alliance with themm via warring Crimea then the neighboring several tons of bricks that have been hanging over my head the entire game will come crashing down. Anyways those cores are long gone now so no longer an option.

The semi-good news is that it's 1580 and I've almost reached the Livonian Order. Bad news is AE penalties mean it'll be at least 1620 before I can press Westernize.

In conclusion next time I should just play Crimea it seems.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Does Crimea have any other allies? Just attack them instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Or call the Ottomans into another war and then declare on Crimea after, they won't be able to join both.

Also the cores expired that quickly? I never really payed attention to it I guess but 100 years seems really low.

• Locked thread