Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

nm posted:

For the IE old riverside (the wood streets, etc) isn't that terrible. It has trees and The Salted Pig.

:hf: Yep, a lot can be forgiven for The Salted Pig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hawkgirl posted:

:hf: Yep, a lot can be forgiven for The Salted Pig.

doesn't sound like a vegetarian friendly establishment

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

etalian posted:

doesn't sound like a vegetarian friendly establishment

The IE isn't a vegetarian friendly establishment.

Pork belly sandwich with pickled pineapple and some bacon popcorn (and the best beer selection in the IE) Hell yeah.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hey, welcome to the IE. Your body will start melting in about a month!

Also look forward to watching Mt. Rubidoux light on fire during the July 4th Fireworks! It's a spectacular sight!

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I commute to Anaheim from Riverside. I'm out the door by 4 am to avoid the traffic and sleep in my car when I get to my work until it is time to actually work. :smith:

I have 5 percent tint on my windows all around so nobody can see me sleeping.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I commute to Anaheim from Riverside. I'm out the door by 4 am to avoid the traffic and sleep in my car when I get to my work until it is time to actually work. :smith:

I have 5 percent tint on my windows all around so nobody can see me sleeping.

Why don't you just take the train?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

TildeATH posted:

Perhaps you didn't notice that he/she lives in Southern California.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TildeATH posted:

I take the train to Irvine occasionally. The problem with the metrolink is that it can get you into your city but getting from the train station to anywhere you want to go can be a major pain in the rear end.

Add in a 90 minute+ travel time, almost daily delays and $200 for a monthly pass and it can still be preferable to just drive instead.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

nm posted:

For the IE old riverside (the wood streets, etc) isn't that terrible. It has trees and The Salted Pig. Redlands is somewhat better.

But note the qualifier, "for the IE." I just got out of there, may God have mercy on your soul. Watch out for bro-dozers. Put Jesus stickers on your truck to fit in.

Riverside isn't that religious. The city is repped by a gay asian congressman for goodness's sake. And you know this because you know about the Wood streets.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

The IE is a massively depressing purgatory full of dickheads, why would you move there from Switzerland?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Riverside isn't that religious. The city is repped by a gay asian congressman for goodness's sake. And you know this because you know about the Wood streets.

Yes, but it is surrounded by them (see: Mo Valley), and the show up every weekend to drink and run over cars or whatever they do with thier lift pickups.
I had no idea that hipsters for Jesus existed until I came to the IE.

Edit: Redlands also has liberals. Though it also has a large number of NotW sticker lifted pickups and they can't all be from Yucaipa.

SlimGoodbody posted:

The IE is a massively depressing purgatory full of dickheads, why would you move there from Switzerland?

Ever been to Switzerland?
At least the IE has good Mexican food.

The IE isn't 100% terrible if you never leave Redlands, Riverside, and A/C in the summer except to drive west, go tovthe Mountains, and go to San Bernardino for Gazzolo's.

nm fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 11, 2015

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
For people who have never been to the Inland Empire, and think "oh it's just part of LA due to being in Southern California" I like to use the example that Breaking Bad was originally supposed to be set in San Bernardino before they got tax breaks to move to New Mexico.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
This entire time I was wondering why you guys were talking about living in Internet Explorer. :colbert:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

jeeves posted:

For people who have never been to the Inland Empire, and think "oh it's just part of LA due to being in Southern California" I like to use the example that Breaking Bad was originally supposed to be set in San Bernardino before they got tax breaks to move to New Mexico.

Victorville is yet a whole different world. The high desert makes San Bernardino and the rest seem pretty nice.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

nm posted:

Victorville is yet a whole different world. The high desert makes San Bernardino and the rest seem pretty nice.

How was Victorville even a thing anyway? I know SoCal commutes are hell, but isn't that like an hour or two away from even San Bernardino?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

How was Victorville even a thing anyway? I know SoCal commutes are hell, but isn't that like an hour or two away from even San Bernardino?

Its an hour away. You can buy a huge rear end house for under $200k. That was the appeal. Cons are a billion miles away, huge crime problems, no local jobs, and the only large city where "it snowed" is an legitamate reason to miss work.
Do note that a fair number of victorville people do commute to San Bernardino, Rancho, and Riverside for jobs, so it is less bad, but some do make the long drive to LA.
Someone wants to build a subdivision on the otherside of the grapevine.

Edit: 300,000 people live in Victorville/Hesperia/Apple Valley plus probably 100k more in other nearby areas. If you broke it out from the LA metro, it would be like the 100th biggest metro in the US. Which is scary as they have no water. Even less than elsewhere.

nm fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 11, 2015

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

nm posted:

Its an hour away. You can buy a huge rear end house for under $200k. That was the appeal. Cons are a billion miles away, huge crime problems, no local jobs, and the only large city where "it snowed" is an legitamate reason to miss work.
Do note that a fair number of victorville people do commute to San Bernardino, Rancho, and Riverside for jobs, so it is less bad, but some do make the long drive to LA.
Someone wants to build a subdivision on the otherside of the grapevine.

That Centennial Ranch thing? That sounds like it'll be a spectacular trainwreck, much like California City being built by some UCLA professor decades ago thinking it would become "the next LA".

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

That Centennial Ranch thing? That sounds like it'll be a spectacular trainwreck, much like California City being built by some UCLA professor decades ago thinking it would become "the next LA".

California city was supposed to be a city. That on the otherhand is a suburb built within 3 hours of LA. Bet it sells a lot of subprime mortgages.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

nm posted:

California city was supposed to be a city. That on the otherhand is a suburb built within 3 hours of LA. Bet it sells a lot of subprime mortgages.

My parents took a road trip a few years back and ended up getting dinner in California City. They got to chatting with their server (who didn't have much to do), who apparently was from eastern Europe or Russia or something. They asked her how she ended up working a diner in California City, of all places.

Apparently, she just decided to go to California, and hey, California City must be the place to be, right?? And now she's stuck there.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
San Bernardino is like on the livable side of the mountains between the high desert and Las Vegas, whereas Victorville is on the desert side of the mountains. That's why it is crazy, but why people live there for some god awful reason-- it's like the way most LA people drive to Vegas. However, most of LA should not exist without water brought in, but Victorville and poo poo definitely should not.

Technically people could drive further over and then come down to LA from Vegas on the 5 and come in from the other end of the valley, but that is a huge detour it is easier to take the 15 down. But that tends to explain why there were a shitload of bikers in Barstow from the 1960's onward and why Victorville and Hesperia are so loving weird and why San Berdnardino (and most of the Inland Empire) is so lovely.

Also I think it explains why there are a shitload of Mormons in San Bernardino/Redlands. It's like the first non-desert hellhole (Vegas/Barstow/Victorville) when you take the 15 down from Salt Lake City.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 11, 2015

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I-15 is a weird dividing line for the IE. West of the IE is stuff mostly built in the last 15 years and has a more OC/LA vibe to it because it caters to long-distance commuters priced out of those counties. A large portion of Racho, Ontario, Eastvale and Corona were farmland a dairy farms before the millennium and is quickly becoming a huge suburban sprawl area with most neighborhoods commanding $500k for housing. It has a different feel than the rest of the area IMO.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

FCKGW posted:

I-15 is a weird dividing line for the IE. West of the IE is stuff mostly built in the last 15 years and has a more OC/LA vibe to it because it caters to long-distance commuters priced out of those counties. A large portion of Racho, Ontario, Eastvale and Corona were farmland a dairy farms before the millennium and is quickly becoming a huge suburban sprawl area with most neighborhoods commanding $500k for housing. It has a different feel than the rest of the area IMO.

That's a good way to explain it-- the 15 cuts off into the 15 and 215, and everything east of the 15 is loving terrible for obvious reasons because commuters or tourists driving to Vegas would never have a reason to go into the modern day dystopia that is Fontana, Rialto, or San Bernardino.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mayor Lee wants to knock down 280, run Caltrain in a tunnel along the water, build a new joint Caltrain/Muni station by the proposed Warriors stadium, and build new housing where the freeway used to be. Sounds pretty cool to me, which I suppose means it will never happen.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/I-280-near-Mission-Bay-would-be-razed-in-Caltrain-6254662.php

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kobayashi posted:

Mayor Lee wants to knock down 280, run Caltrain in a tunnel along the water, build a new joint Caltrain/Muni station by the proposed Warriors stadium, and build new housing where the freeway used to be. Sounds pretty cool to me, which I suppose means it will never happen.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/I-280-near-Mission-Bay-would-be-razed-in-Caltrain-6254662.php

Most of that article is behind a paywall, but I assume it's like a $5B project or something. Does he have a plan to fund it?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kobayashi posted:

To be clear he doesn't want to get rid of the 280, only tear it down in Mission Bay. I was very confused for a bit about how the Mayor of SF was proposing to tear down an interstate that crosses 3 counties.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/Ed-Lee-talks-of-tearing-down-end-of-I-280-4209883.php

quote:

The idea, laid out by the mayor's chief transit planner, Gillian Gillett, in a memo to the regional Metropolitan Transportation Commission, would be to knock down I-280 before 16th Street - eliminating the ramps both at Sixth and Brannan streets and at Fourth and King streets. It would be replaced by a street-level boulevard akin to those built after the Embarcadero and Central freeways were knocked down.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Someone in the mayor's office must have sat down and thought to themself "what is the last public works project we did that people ended up liking?"

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I work in mission bay. Rip down that freeway, it isolates this area into a strip 3 blocks wide.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

jeeves posted:

the modern day dystopia that is Fontana
More like Fontucky, am i rite?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

jeeves posted:

That's a good way to explain it-- the 15 cuts off into the 15 and 215, and everything east of the 15 is loving terrible for obvious reasons because commuters or tourists driving to Vegas would never have a reason to go into the modern day dystopia that is Fontana, Rialto, or San Bernardino.

Redlands and Riverside call bullshit. They both have way more redeeming features than Ontario, Corona, and Rancho.

Really, the best way to look at the IE is that the closer you are to an elevation gain, the more expensive. And not unsurprisingly, the closer to a 4 year college the better. Even the part of SB near CSUSB isn't that bad.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Leperflesh posted:

Most of that article is behind a paywall, but I assume it's like a $5B project or something. Does he have a plan to fund it?

Whoops, sorry. I followed a link that allowed full access. Full article below. No funding yet, this is more of a leaked idea than a formal proposal.

quote:

San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee is quietly shopping plans to tear down Interstate 280 at Mission Bay and build an underground rail tunnel through the area — complete with a station between the proposed Warriors arena and AT&T Park.

It’s all part of a revised effort to bring Caltrain — and, one day, high-speed rail — into downtown and the new Transbay Terminal while opening up a whole new area of the city for development.

As an added bonus, moving Caltrain’s current station a couple of blocks to the southeast — from Fourth and King streets to a site roughly opposite Pier 50 on Third Street — would help Lee sell the argument that he can keep a Warriors arena from creating huge traffic problems. The new station would be just a block or two from the 18,000-seat arena.

“A big game changer” is how one city official described the plan, which planners unveiled last week at a closed-door meeting with representatives of Caltrans, Caltrain, the Metropolitan Transportation Commission and other transportation agencies.

New neighborhood

The plan would cost billions, but Lee figures the payoff could be equally huge: a new neighborhood on land now taken up by the freeway and the rail yard at Fourth and King streets.

“It’s very attractive — the problem is, it’s also very expensive,’’ said Randy Rentschler, spokesman for the Metropolitan Transportation Commission. “But doing nothing is not an option.”

Costs aside, the plan also raises big questions for Caltrain — its station at Fourth and King would be bulldozed, and a major portion of its already-approved route for running trains downtown would be junked and redrawn.

Nonetheless, the mayor is moving fast, figuring that San Francisco’s development window won’t stay wide open forever. City officials plan to go public with their ideas next month, and there is already talk of a ballot measure down the road to seek public backing for whatever emerges as the final scheme.

Lee spokeswoman Christine Falvey called Mission Bay and the southeastern waterfront “exciting areas for growth and new housing,” and said the mayor believes the track-realignment plan could make for “a key transit link for the neighborhood and the region for the future.”

Lee first floated the idea two years ago of knocking down I-280 north of Mariposa Street and replacing it with a street-level boulevard like those built after the Embarcadero and Central freeways were torn down.

Since then, the city has been awarded $1.7 million in grants from the Metropolitan Transportation Commission and others to study the idea.

Until now, the plan has been to extend Caltrain and envisioned high-speed rail service from the Fourth and King station to the new Transbay Transit Center at First and Mission streets. The Lee administration’s plan is to reroute the tracks closer to the waterfront, running underground along Third Street starting at about 22nd Street.

Tunnel through landfill

That would require tunneling through landfill for an extra 2 to 3 miles — cutting under both the Warriors’ arena at 16th Street and AT&T Park.

From there, the tunnel would extend another mile to the Transbay Transit Center.

Supporters say moving the tracks would open wide swaths for development and knit together the Mission Bay and South of Market neighborhoods. It would also eliminate the need for a pair of $400 million grade separations that would include an underpass directing both 16th Street and Mission Bay Drive beneath the tracks.

Caltrain’s first reaction to the idea was tepid at best. The rail agency said it was “difficult to evaluate in the absence of any meaningful and in-depth technical review,” and that officials were “disappointed” the city had omitted any discussion of keeping the Fourth and King rail yard.

“This seems to be advancing rapidly without proper concern for their impact on Caltrain’s operations and our riders, a large segment of which are San Franciscans,” said Caltrain spokesman Mark Simon.

Adam Alberti, spokesman for the Transbay Transit Authority that is building the new downtown terminal, said that “our focus continues to be on bringing the rail into the new transit center as soon as possible after it opens in late 2017” — a not-so-subtle hint that they’re worried the track reconfiguration could result in costly delays.

San Francisco Supervisor Scott Wiener, who has been the point man on transportation issues on the board, said the city was looking at spending billions of dollars to extend Caltrain and high-speed rail downtown and “we need to make sure ... we get it right.”

“It’s definitely a big plan,” Wiener said of the Lee administration’s scheme, “but it’s definitely worth studying.”

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

To be clear he doesn't want to get rid of the 280, only tear it down in Mission Bay. I was very confused for a bit about how the Mayor of SF was proposing to tear down an interstate that crosses 3 counties.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/Ed-Lee-talks-of-tearing-down-end-of-I-280-4209883.php

It seems like a solid plan, I guess. 280 is stupid anyway and since they built ATT it's doubly silly to pour the vestiges of the freeway out right in front of the ballpark. Tear it down.

I am curious how digging underground through landfill works, though. Is this at all an earthquake risk?

EDIT: Also traffic is gonna suck there no matter what they do, the only solution is to do something with BART. I don't know what though, since it's not that far from the park anyway.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

JosefStalinator posted:

I am curious how digging underground through landfill works, though. Is this at all an earthquake risk?

It is a challenge, but definitely doable. Earthquake risk isn't really an issue; a well-designed underground structure is one of the safest places to be in an earthquake.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I ride transit, I like transit. Keep Caltrain where it is.

The old CGI transit terminal concept video showing CalTrain and the HSR train (that's never going to happen) arriving downtown caused me to bust out laughing, and I always figured it would be eventually scrapped. Mind boggling that after five years they're still considering the idea of moving very heavy freight style trains under downtown San Francisco.

It seems like a massive expense, an engineering nightmare, and a safety risk all in one. Just so that some businesspeople don't have to ride the N/T lines east of Embarcadero for fifteen minutes. And don't bring up BART, because it was built underneath a Market Street Subway corridor that had existed for decades prior. This is an all new tunnel.

Next thing you know, they'll be trying to drag Amtrak trains in there from Martinez.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

withak posted:

It is a challenge, but definitely doable. Earthquake risk isn't really an issue; a well-designed underground structure is one of the safest places to be in an earthquake.

While that's true in a general sense, being anywhere that's built on landfill is one of the least safe places to be in an earthquake, because landfill is highly susceptible to ground liquifaction. I'm confident any construction there will take this into account and build in safety margins, but doing so will likely cost additional amounts of money.

The safest (but not cheapest) tunnel is one through very solid bedrock with few or no cracks (what geologists call "joints) in it.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

And don't bring up BART, because it was built underneath a Market Street Subway corridor that had existed for decades prior. This is an all new tunnel.

What?

The market street subway for both Muni and BART was built at the same time. The upper Muni tunnel was originally intended to be for BART trains too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_Municipal_Railway#1970s_and_.2780s:_Construction_and_reorganization

Craptacular! posted:

The old CGI transit terminal concept video showing CalTrain and the HSR train (that's never going to happen) arriving downtown caused me to bust out laughing, and I always figured it would be eventually scrapped. Mind boggling that after five years they're still considering the idea of moving very heavy freight style trains under downtown San Francisco.

CalTrain is getting electrified soon, so they're getting rid of the diesel locomotives. The tunnel to the transbay terminal won't happen until that happens (and until the feds give the city billions of dollars).

As for HSR never happening...you are aware that they've already started construction, right?

Rah! fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 12, 2015

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FCKGW posted:

I lived in the area around the time Ontario built the mall, and going back now it's crazy to see so much built up in what I remember as just empty lots as far as I could see back then.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Rah! posted:

As for HSR never happening...you are aware that they've already started construction, right?

The skepticism is about the difference between "A high speed rail line will terminate in San Francisco" and "funds originally slated for 'high-speed rail' will be used to build some sort of railroad somewhere in California."

raminasi fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 12, 2015

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

bango skank posted:

I lived in the area around the time Ontario built the mall, and going back now it's crazy to see so much built up in what I remember as just empty lots as far as I could see back then.

They're just getting started, Ontario is expected to add about 200, 000 residents over the next 20 years.

All the dairy farms are selling while the selling's good and moving to the central valley instead.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

GrumpyDoctor posted:

The skepticism is about the difference between "A high speed rail line will terminate in San Francisco" and "funds originally slated for 'high-speed rail' will be used to build some sort of railroad somewhere in California."

OK...but they've started construction on HSR. Not on "some sort of railroad somewhere in California."

The project could end up dying somehow, but as of now it's happening. Slowly of course :ca:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Can someone please explain Foster City to me?