Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hakkesshu posted:

This is a super weird thing to say considering most of the good 3rd person action games of the PS2/Xbox era did in fact run at 60 FPS.

I think he's implying that good action games from the NES to the N64 did not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I think he's implying that good action games from the NES to the N64 did not.

Maybe not N64, but all the old 2D consoles rendered games at 60 Hz.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's a new trailer for Dai Gyakuten Saiban, the Meiji-era Phoenix Wright game featuring Sherlock Holmes and Anime Girl Watson:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5x875He5ns

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Has there been any mention of that getting localised yet? I'm going to assume the answer is 'no' but ask anyway.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I doubt they'll mention it before E3.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I've been playing Pokemon Y over the weekend, I'm loving it. It's hard to resist the urge to just look up a guide that tells me exactly what Pokemon to get though, I want to play this more "naturally".

That being said, is there anything I should know or do that would really make the game better that I might miss otherwise?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Do not pursue lopunny.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I'm playing Fire Emblem did about 16 regular missions and 16 paralogue missions. Should I give up on the people who level up slowly? I'm trying to level up everyone but Frederick and Kellam are driving me nuts.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Don't try to level up everyone.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

triplexpac posted:

That being said, is there anything I should know or do that would really make the game better that I might miss otherwise?

It's Pokemon. You cannot gently caress up. Seriously, have you not heard of Twitch Plays Pokemon? A million people all making inputs into the game and they finished it fine? You will not miss anything. Nothing is missable and the story mode is just a JRPG's first game -- use whatever mons you find cooler/prettier/whatever because it really doesn't matter in the end.

Now, if you were to partake into PVP and postgame arena tower thingy (called Maison in this version) you would need tons of things and indeed need to read a bunch of guides. And, yet, none of that is missable. It's all post-story and you can get into it at any time you like. Have fun.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Terper posted:

Don't try to level up everyone.

Did we play the same Gen 6? It's impossible to not keep your team leveled roughly evenly once you get the exp. share. The only way to fall behind is to constantly rotate out your team roster as you catch things.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Zonekeeper posted:

Did we play the same Gen 6? It's impossible to not keep your team leveled roughly evenly once you get the exp. share. The only way to fall behind is to constantly rotate out your team roster as you catch things.

I think he was talking about FE:A, not pokemon

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Zonekeeper posted:

More like you're not talking about the same game series. He was replying to a post about Fire Emblem.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Saoshyant posted:

It's Pokemon. You cannot gently caress up. Seriously, have you not heard of Twitch Plays Pokemon?

Haha fair enough, thanks! I haven't really paid any attention to Pokemon since the first one, so now there are genders and you can give them items, all sorts of weird new stuff. Wasn't sure if any of it mattered.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

raditts posted:

More like you're not talking about the same game series. He was replying to a post about Fire Emblem.

Welp. :downs: Didn't even see the lone FE post sandwiched between all the Pokemon stuff.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

hadji murad posted:

I'm playing Fire Emblem did about 16 regular missions and 16 paralogue missions. Should I give up on the people who level up slowly? I'm trying to level up everyone but Frederick and Kellam are driving me nuts.

Pick the people you like the most and level them up

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Went on my first expedition last night, MH4U may be GOAT. I'm sorry capcom, i was the fool.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Went on my first expedition last night, MH4U may be GOAT. I'm sorry capcom, i was the fool.

Hey, don't say that while Fire Emblem is being discussed. You might hurt Fire Emblem's feelings :{

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

next post will be when you get to cephadrome and call the game poo poo again. can't wait

Zonekeeper posted:

you can turn exp share off you know

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

noirstronaut posted:

I've changed my mind. This Attack on Titan game is kinda fun once you get the controls down and get over the clunkiness of it.

I'm glad to hear that. Looking forward to your review and playing the game.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

I've changed my mind. This Attack on Titan game is kinda fun once you get the controls down and get over the clunkiness of it.

Good good. A good AoT would be sweet.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Housh posted:

I'm glad to hear that. Looking forward to your review and playing the game.

lol if you would ever read and appreciate a noirstronaut review

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

A day later...

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I killed a dinosaur (oh very original CRAPCOM I thought this game was about MONSTERS, I was expecting to fight a Frankenstein) and then the game expected me to skin it myself? I'm taking this poo poo back.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I would totally buy Mario PAD for 15€ but I really don't see a point in spending 30€ for two versions of the same game.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

codenameFANGIO posted:

lol if you would ever read and appreciate a noirstronaut review

please stop bullying me. i do not appreciate it.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

triplexpac posted:

Haha fair enough, thanks! I haven't really paid any attention to Pokemon since the first one, so now there are genders and you can give them items, all sorts of weird new stuff. Wasn't sure if any of it mattered.

None of that is required to know about to play the game, or when it is they tell you.

Basically, genders are for breeding pokemon if you want to (leave different genders at the daycare together, see what the old man says to see your chance of breeding if you don't want to look up egg groups). Great if you want to trade, or 100% your pokedex. Can also be used end game to min/max, if that's what you want.

Items fall into 2 categories for pokemon:

- Berries are items you can give to pokemon that they will use themselves, usually to cure/heal themselves
- Battle items will have some other effect on a battle, including Mega Evolution in Gen 6

You can grow Berries (if you go to Route 5 and head South the first time you can, they will introduce you to Gen 6 berries)

There are all sorts of Gimmick battles now. Double battles where it's 2v2. I think there are Triple battles too? There are Sky battles which are Flying/Levitate pokemon only.

Since the first pokemon, they've added 3 new types, Steel, Fairy, and Dark. You can look up type charts if you like.

If you want to battle or trade pokemons, PM me - I just started X a few days ago and am picking it up as I go.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
make sure to turn on the passive multiplayer stuff
also wonder trade all day erry day

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

noirstronaut posted:

please stop bullying me. i do not appreciate it.

What's your review of this toilet water, NERD? *flushes*

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

I hadn't played a Pokemon game since the original blue and I still had a good time with X/Y. I don't really pay attention to the berries, eggs, daycare, O powers (i think?) or any of the really small unnecessary stuff they added. You can play the game just like the original one and just use the regular items and go through the story mode/catch pokemon.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I picked up Devil Survivor Record Breaker to give me something slow-paced to do between Zelda sessions and I'd forgotten how charming this game's cast is. It's got a few meh characters, but generally the characterizations and especially the strong localization really help keep you engaged, and the Fate system plays into this.

Speaking of, I'm trying to max out everybody (not sure how anal-retentive I need to be to accomplish that) and I seem to have a choice of fighting an optional boss (Vs. Q) or doing social link poo poo. I've had a few failed attempts at this guy and am wondering what the reward is for beating him, because he's pissing me off.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I picked up Devil Survivor Record Breaker to give me something slow-paced to do between Zelda sessions and I'd forgotten how charming this game's cast is. It's got a few meh characters, but generally the characterizations and especially the strong localization really help keep you engaged, and the Fate system plays into this.

Speaking of, I'm trying to max out everybody (not sure how anal-retentive I need to be to accomplish that) and I seem to have a choice of fighting an optional boss (Vs. Q) or doing social link poo poo. I've had a few failed attempts at this guy and am wondering what the reward is for beating him, because he's pissing me off.

You get to fuse him afterwards, though he's kind of eh as a demon.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
http://www.nintendojo.com/reviews/review-attack-on-titan-humanity-in-chains-3ds

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Strange Quark posted:

You get to fuse him afterwards, though he's kind of eh as a demon.

And that's only if I kill him, not if he runs away? Meh gently caress it, not even worth the hassle.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

You eventually learn the moves and have some fun. Then you turn into a giant Titan and can wreck absolute havoc.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

You eventually learn the moves and have some fun. Then you turn into a giant Titan and can wreck absolute havoc.

story of my life

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

dragon enthusiast posted:

make sure to turn on the passive multiplayer stuff
also wonder trade all day erry day

Where do you actually go to turn that on? I feel like I don't remember that option in X?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i think he just means to turn the online stuff on when you start the game (and then again every time you open the 3ds up from sleep)

it's one of the touchscreen things

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

If the online and streetpass stuff is decent, I'm in.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Was finally able to send my New 3DS XL in to get it fixed. These next two weeks are going to be a bit more boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Canned Panda posted:

Was finally able to send my New 3DS XL in to get it fixed. These next two weeks are going to be a bit more boring.

Buy another and then return it in 2 weeks