Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Rent-A-Cop posted:

My bet is at one torpedo for a mission kill. It might not sink a BB with very good damage control but it would certainly render it unable to make way or steer and likely do irreparable damage.

If for some reason you only had 1 torpedo to shoot at a BB, setting it to detonate near the screws/rudder would do the most damage. The rudders would likely be destroyed or jammed, the propellers damaged, shafts bent, and heavy flooding in the engine rooms from blown shaft seals. Very good likelihood of a mobility kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Ensign Expendable posted:

Feeling super smug right now.

Which book is that?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

esn2500 posted:

As a non-weapons-enthusiast, this doesn't look too bad.

That's the minimum for a basic field strip, which is almost the same as an AR-15. Once you go further, however, you find that the internals are a mess of tiny parts and inserts that serve no purpose other than to give the parts something to sit on or wrap around when in the gun.

Unrelated, I did a basic field strip in the game on the Chiappa Rhino. In real life if I had to fix it, I'd probably take the sideplate off, look at the internals, and go "hahaha nope" and throw the gun away.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 12, 2015

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

aren't modern anti-ship missiles completely ludicrous to the extent where they pretty much obsolete surface fleets without air superiority? i thought this was a major part in why carriers are currently considered p. much necessary for any surface action

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago

What's that, you say? A Western empire is invading Iraq and suffering badly from mission creep? That's unpossible! Yes, General Nixon is setting in motion plans to advance yet further up the Tigris (and eventually to Baghdad), ignoring the inconvenient lack of any approval for this course of action from anyone. Second Artois continues unabated, but for once the Brains Trust is going to pause and reconsider instead of just throwing men at the brick wall. The Friendly Feldwebel arrives at Jaslo on the Eastern Front (and Major Eger is highly dissatisfied with the sleeping arrangement), and Herbert Sulzbach has got home for a couple of days' leave.

(Also, today's advert concerns itself with foreigners. I'm sorry.)

Just a heads up - you write about the feldwebel moving to the eastern front and I think maybe the end of his quote about the lice staying with him on the western front is in error?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
More ammo tables for the tables god (warning: 35MB PDF)
This is my own copy of the 1960 edition, scanned it at work. Didn't turn out super well but it's readable at least.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

bewbies posted:

US and German torpedoes both had this feature (proximity detonator) from the get-go during WWII although the mechanism was really, really inconsistent, such that skippers from both sides resorted to impact fusing for the most part.

A proximity detonator isn't the same feature. WWII torpedomen still had to set a depth that the torpedo would run at. To get an under-the-keel detonation, the depth would have to be set such that the torpedo's going to run deep enough to not prox on a torpedo blister on the hull, or the side of the hull itself, but not so deep that the sphere of influence of the magnetic detonator would miss the keel.

Since doing that runs a higher chance of a clean miss than just setting the depth to maximize the chance of a hit, not even considering the flakiness of early-generation magnetic detonators, I'd be surprised if anyone ever tried it outside of tests. By contrast, a modern heavyweight torpedo will maneuver to put itself at the proper depth to put the worst hurting possible on the target. Or if the guys on the launching sub are wire-guiding it, they're steering it to do that. In either case, it's different than what they could do in WWII.

The warheads are also different, a modern fill's going to be probably 30% more powerful than a given mass of Torpex.

V. Illych L. posted:

aren't modern anti-ship missiles completely ludicrous to the extent where they pretty much obsolete surface fleets without air superiority? i thought this was a major part in why carriers are currently considered p. much necessary for any surface action

Even if you have air superiority, you're still going to want a serious air-defense network. Air superiority doesn't do much good against an SSGN.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Polikarpov posted:

If for some reason you only had 1 torpedo to shoot at a BB, setting it to detonate near the screws/rudder would do the most damage. The rudders would likely be destroyed or jammed, the propellers damaged, shafts bent, and heavy flooding in the engine rooms from blown shaft seals. Very good likelihood of a mobility kill.

In other words, it's a definite kill if it's a Japanese BB, toss-up if it's an American, and merely probable for anyone else. :v:

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

V. Illych L. posted:

A big ship killer like the SS-N-26 hits with something like 12x the kinetic energy of a 16" Superheavy AP shell and carries a warhead 13x heavier than the 16" shell's bursting charge.

So yeah, they're pretty scary.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

V. Illych L. posted:

saborg is getting theirs these days, having recently got a monument in Oslo approved, though not without its controversy (the controversy is that the aesthetic is somewhat, uh, unsubtle):
http://www.osloby.no/nyheter/Osvald-monumentet-skal-avdukes-1-mai-7997403.html

That is so unsubtle it's almost juvenile and I really goddamned like it for exactly that reason.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Which book is that?

Armored Champion.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

chitoryu12 posted:

That's the minimum for a basic field strip, which is almost the same as an AR-15. Once you go further, however, you find that the internals are a mess of tiny parts and inserts that serve no purpose other than to give the parts something to sit on or wrap around when in the gun.

The things I like in particular, aside from the little awkward rollers that have to be inserted in precisely the right order, are

The retaining bolt for the butt of the gun has a teeny tiny spring on it.
The metal bit of the butt that attaches to the rest of the gun is actually two separate pieces of metal, with a screw with a washer attaching the first piece individually to the wood.
Instead of having a metal buttplate, the corners of the butt are two individual pieces of metal with two screws each, with the wood inbetween textured in a slot pattern.

And that's just the butt alone. Yes this is the gun you make when you are busy losing a war.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fangz posted:

The things I like in particular, aside from the little awkward rollers that have to be inserted in precisely the right order, are

The retaining bolt for the butt of the gun has a teeny tiny spring on it.
The metal bit of the butt that attaches to the rest of the gun is actually two separate pieces of metal, with a screw with a washer attaching the first piece individually to the wood.
Instead of having a metal buttplate, the corners of the butt are two individual pieces of metal with two screws each, with the wood inbetween textured in a slot pattern.

And that's just the butt alone. Yes this is the gun you make when you are busy losing a war.

Even the MP 40 is more complex than you expect. It has a three-piece telescoping recoil buffer tube that contains the firing pin and its separate spring, and the bolt is a separate piece in front of it; the firing pin needs to pass through a hole in the bolt to reach the cartridge. It also uses a ton of screws for everything but the most basic field stripping requirements, so anything past separating the upper and lower receivers will likely require a tool and time; anyone well-versed in firearm construction will tell you to minimize the use of screws because of this. They even use double screw setups where a smaller screw prevents the big one from coming out if it gets loose.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Cythereal posted:

In other words, it's a definite kill if it's a Japanese BB, toss-up if it's an American, and merely probable for anyone else. :v:

I thought USN damage control during WWII was pretty drat good. Or is that just compared to the IJN?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Hunterhr posted:

I thought USN damage control during WWII was pretty drat good. Or is that just compared to the IJN?

That's what he's saying-Toss-Up>Probable>Definite Kill.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

chitoryu12 posted:

They even use double screw setups where a smaller screw prevents the big one from coming out if it gets loose.

That's because Nazis are twice as screwy as everyone else.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Ensign Expendable posted:

Feeling super smug right now.

A Goddamn Red (statistician)

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
During the Italian campaign of the Second World War, were any major temples to the Roman gods damaged?

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 12, 2015

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
What, you mean like the Old Ones?

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Acebuckeye13 posted:

That's what he's saying-Toss-Up>Probable>Definite Kill.

Ah yeah. Misread it the first time.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Frostwerks posted:

What, you mean like the Old Ones?
It felt redundant calling then "Roman gods" but I'll fix it.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I did hear a story about an ancient evil that haunted the Alps that had been awakened by accident during WW1, but that was more of a tomb than a temple that had been disturbed.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

sullat posted:

I did hear a story about an ancient evil that haunted the Alps that had been awakened by accident during WW1, but that was more of a tomb than a temple that had been disturbed.

Kinda want to read this now. Something about 20th century warfare really lends a lot of gravitas to the admittedly hokey Lovecraft and Gang cosmology.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Cythereal posted:

Well it was PoW that disemboweled herself when she took a hit like that. It really depends on where exactly the hit is, I think the Bismarck's hit was a bit farther back on the rudder, and it merely(!) caused the entire stern structure to flex and collapse because it was a flexible (read lightly armored) structure right next to the freakish overlong belt they put on the thing and the stern didn't have enough buoyancy to support itself because the middle of it had to be raised high to fit the archaic triple screw design, which involved really big screws to absorb WWII levels of SHP.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

sullat posted:

I want to hear about this because it sounds like some Castle Wolfenstein poo poo.

E: Return to Castle Wallenstein.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 12, 2015

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

MrBling posted:

On the topic of odd incidents at the tail end of WW2.

The little danish island of Bornholm (you know the one, it sits in the Baltic sea south-east of Sweden) came under Soviet occupation for a while.

As you can tell from that last line, during WW2 and the early parts of the cold war it had a fairly significant strategic value and the russians really didn't appreciate anyone trying to figure out what they were doing.

Pretty sure Bornholm got the rape-steal-smash treatment and the people were treated as if they were Germans.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

FAUXTON posted:

E: Return to Castle Wallenstein.
:confuoot:

in Jičín

in Prague

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Benny the Snake posted:

During the Italian campaign of the Second World War, were any major temples to the Roman gods damaged?

Gods schmods, just don't gently caress with Timur. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timur#Exhumation

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Frostwerks posted:

Kinda want to read this now. Something about 20th century warfare really lends a lot of gravitas to the admittedly hokey Lovecraft and Gang cosmology.

It probably influenced Lovecraft and co pretty drat hard. Others as well--I think some of Tolkien's Mordor imagery was inspired by his time in the trenches.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Davin Valkri posted:

It probably influenced Lovecraft and co pretty drat hard. Others as well--I think some of Tolkien's Mordor imagery was inspired by his time in the trenches.

Mordor is WW1 trenches when they're dry. Dead Marshes are WW1 trenches when they're wet.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Polikarpov posted:

A big ship killer like the SS-N-26 hits with something like 12x the kinetic energy of a 16" Superheavy AP shell and carries a warhead 13x heavier than the 16" shell's bursting charge.

It also sprays remaining rocket fuel into a ship so that's added bonus as well. Have fun putting out that fire, damage control teams!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Jazerus posted:

"Landsknechting" someone just isn't as catchy as "swatting".

I actually "landsknechted" once, though in me and my friends parlance it was just mixing immergut and landsknecht vodka and downing it. One of the most glorious blackouts I ever acquired!

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
What did Landsknechte actually drink most of the time? Camp made beer? Wine? Being fully pissed with beer makes for a hangover that you'll never forget.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

What did Landsknechte actually drink most of the time? Camp made beer? Wine? Being fully pissed with beer makes for a hangover that you'll never forget.
I do not know about the 16th century, this is a 17th century answer:

common soldiers? wine by the quart in drinking bouts nightly. you club together with your friends and pool your booze resources.
officers? start the morning with hard liquor like vermouth or brandy, if you can afford it, then taper off to wine or beer through the day, then drinking bouts at night

beer seems to have been an all-day kinda thing, we have Wallenstein's beer receipts (he hates dark beer, prefers pale) and I encountered an Oberst in the early 20s complaining to the Elector of Saxony that he had received no money so his soldiers were pawning their clothes and he himself "had to buy beer on credit" for his free company

Edit: I am honestly not sure if any of these people would be physically capable of getting drunk on beer any more.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 12, 2015

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

my dad posted:

Mordor is WW1 trenches when they're dry. Dead Marshes are WW1 trenches when they're wet.

There is no better description of what it was like to come out of a rest period in the rear areas and go up the line than this.

quote:

The hobbits were now wholly in the hands of Gollum.
So after a brief rest they set out again and were soon lost in a shadowy silent world, cut off from all view of the lands about, either the hills that they had left or the mountains that they sought. They went slowly in single file: Gollum, Sam, Frodo.
Among these a cunning eye and foot could thread a wandering path. Gollum certainly had that cunning, and needed all of it. His head on its long neck was ever turning this way and that, while he sniffed and muttered all the time to himself. Sometimes he would hold up his hand and halt them, while he went forward a little, crouching, testing the ground with fingers or toes, or merely listening with one ear pressed to the earth. It was dreary and wearisome. Cold clammy winter still held sway in this forsaken country. The only green was the scum of livid weed on the dark greasy surfaces of the sullen waters. Dead grasses and rotting reeds loomed up in the mists like ragged shadows of long-forgotten summers.
There was a deep silence, only scraped on its surfaces by the faint quiver of empty seed-plumes, and broken grass-blades trembling in small air-movements that they could not feel. ‘Not a bird!’ said Sam mournfully. ‘No, no birds,’ said Gollum. ‘Nice birds!’ He licked his teeth. ‘No birds here. There are snakeses, wormses, things in the pools. Lots of things, lots of nasty things. No birds,’ he ended sadly. Sam looked at him with distaste.
They walked slowly, stooping, keeping close in line, following attentively every move that Gollum made. The fens grew more wet, opening into wide stagnant meres, among which it grew more and more difficult to find the firmer places where feet could tread without sinking into gurgling mud. The travellers were light, or maybe none of them would ever have found a way through.
Hurrying forward again, Sam tripped, catching his foot in some old root or tussock. He fell and came heavily on his hands, which sank deep into sticky ooze, so that his face was brought close to the surface of the dark mere. There was a faint hiss, a noisome smell went up, the lights flickered and danced and swirled. For a moment the water below him looked like some window, glazed with grimy glass, through which he was peering. Wrenching his hands out of the bog, he sprang back with a cry. ‘There are dead things, dead faces in the water,’ he said with horror. ‘Dead faces!’
‘Who are they? What are they?’ asked Sam shuddering, turning to Frodo, who was now behind him. ‘I don’t know,’ said Frodo in a dreamlike voice. ‘But I have seen them too. In the pools when the candles were lit. They lie in all the pools, pale faces, deep deep under the dark water. I saw them: grim faces and evil, and noble faces and sad. Many faces proud and fair, and weeds in their silver hair. But all foul, all rotting, all dead. A fell light is in them.’ Frodo hid his eyes in his hands.
At last they came to the end of the black mere, and they crossed it, perilously, crawling or hopping from one treacherous island tussock to another. Often they floundered, stepping or falling hands-first into waters as noisome as a cesspool, till they were slimed and fouled almost up to their necks and stank in one another’s nostrils.

Also, they don't travel in direct sunlight in case the Enemy spots them from the air. All that's missing is the sound of the guns and the overt stench of death and open latrines.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

JaucheCharly posted:

HEY GAL posted:

common soldiers? wine by the quart in drinking bouts nightly. you club together with your friends and pool your booze resources.
officers? start the morning with hard liquor like vermouth or brandy, if you can afford it, then taper off to wine or beer through the day, then drinking bouts at night

beer seems to have been an all-day kinda thing, we have Wallenstein's beer receipts (he hates dark beer, prefers pale) and I encountered an Oberst in the early 20s complaining to the Elector of Saxony that he had received no money so his soldiers were pawning their clothes and he himself "had to buy beer on credit" for his free company

Edit: I am honestly not sure if any of these people would be physically capable of getting drunk on beer any more.

We're still living in a time where people didn't drink water typically if they could avoid it. Beer and weak wine were the staples, and much safer to drink. Drinking all day if you could was a given. The real question is how strong is the wine and beer. Typically the everyday beer of a 17th century person was weak by modern standards, as I understand it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It was, much weaker. I came across an interesting anecdoate about the dude who started the Danish workers teetoller society, because blue cross (the society already in place) were made out of white upper class ladies who banned the drinking of beer in their strictures.

As he puts it, "I work on a darned rickety platform three stories up in the biting wind. Drinking warm beer is a matter of survival, and we shall make it so that it's not full of spirits. Good day!"

Tias fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 12, 2015

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

cheerfullydrab posted:

Pretty sure Bornholm got the rape-steal-smash treatment and the people were treated as if they were Germans.

Not really. The soviet troops where confined to quarters the most of the time. There was some disturbances but it was just drunk ivans. Fun fact, there was never any nato troops stationed on Bornholm and the bornholms værn which was responsible for the defense of Bornholm was not under the NATO chain of command.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

xthetenth posted:

Well it was PoW that disemboweled herself when she took a hit like that. It really depends on where exactly the hit is, I think the Bismarck's hit was a bit farther back on the rudder, and it merely(!) caused the entire stern structure to flex and collapse because it was a flexible (read lightly armored) structure right next to the freakish overlong belt they put on the thing and the stern didn't have enough buoyancy to support itself because the middle of it had to be raised high to fit the archaic triple screw design, which involved really big screws to absorb WWII levels of SHP.

Yeah, it was just a joke about Japanese damage control (or lack thereof) in WW2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

HEY GAL posted:

officers? start the morning with hard liquor like vermouth or brandy,

Vermouth is fortified wine, or at least it is today. Was it different then?

Disinterested posted:

We're still living in a time where people didn't drink water typically if they could avoid it. Beer and weak wine were the staples, and much safer to drink. Drinking all day if you could was a given. The real question is how strong is the wine and beer. Typically the everyday beer of a 17th century person was weak by modern standards, as I understand it.

Posting these again because that's not true. People were fine with drinking water and generally knew which water was safe to drink and which would make you sick. And if you were diluting your wine and beer with water anyway, it'd still make you sick unless you had a clean souce.

http://leslefts.blogspot.com.au/2013/11/the-great-medieval-water-myth.html
https://zythophile.wordpress.com/2014/03/04/was-water-really-regarded-as-dangerous-to-drink-in-the-middle-ages/

• Locked thread