Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Though I can see why some people would take umbrage with a literal wife-beater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Captain America beating the poo poo out of a drunken giant Pym was one of the only parts of the Ultimates I liked.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It makes sense that they're skipping Pym as the Avengers really doesn't need yet another scientist type. Scott brings something different to the group.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

They're just gonna make Hope van Dyne into the Wasp if the film gets a sequel. Plus they will almost definitely leave room for Janet to be a flashback era character for yet another Marvel TV show or something.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
In Game of Thrones, episode Kill The Boy, why does Ramsey Bolton look anxious/pissed that his stepmom is pregnant? He's a legal Bolton now, wouldn't any kid that is born to his dad now fall to be the second son while he'd be the first? Or do legalized bastards somehow skip the line of inheriting poo poo? I thought that was the main point to being legitimate. Or it is just because Ramsey is a loving nutter.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

In Game of Thrones, episode Kill The Boy, why does Ramsey Bolton look anxious/pissed that his stepmom is pregnant? He's a legal Bolton now, wouldn't any kid that is born to his dad now fall to be the second son while he'd be the first? Or do legalized bastards somehow skip the line of inheriting poo poo? I thought that was the main point to being legitimate. Or it is just because Ramsey is a loving nutter.

Look at Samwell Tarly. It's up to the elder Bolton to decide (as long as he is living) and he can do that by sending Ramsay to the wall or killing him or whatever.

Spoilered I guess v0v

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Cowslips Warren posted:

It's pretty obvious from Ramsay's line "I'm your son until a better alternative comes along" that he's worried that Roose will have him killed if he has a legitimate son. This is an interesting departure from the books, since book Roose thinks that he is too old to have a son grow to adulthood and "boy lords are the bane of houses."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Good news is that Thanos should be all the villain we ever need. :getin:

Added bonus is Thanos is played by an uncredited (so far) Josh Brolin.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Why did Tony Stark need Ultron anyway? Jarvis is a seemly self aware AI that is 100% loyal and already can control armies of iron man suits. What was Ultron even bringing to the table?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

He specifically says that Jarvis isn't even close to an AI, he's more like a GUI.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Independence Day is on TV and I hadn't watched it in a while.

The part where they are dissecting the alien Will Smith brings in; why the gently caress isn't it sedated? They KNOW that they come in bio-mechanical suits that protects the alien inside and they KNOW that all Will Smith did was give it a good punch. Why didn't they take even the slightest precaution with an alien they KNOW can communicate psychically to make sure it didn't wake up?!

Barring that, at least strap the drat thing down.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Pook Good Mook posted:

The part where they are dissecting the alien Will Smith brings in; why the gently caress isn't it sedated? They KNOW that they come in bio-mechanical suits that protects the alien inside and they KNOW that all Will Smith did was give it a good punch. Why didn't they take even the slightest precaution with an alien they KNOW can communicate psychically to make sure it didn't wake up?!

On that note, what kind of lovely protective suit can't withstand a loving punch?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Non Serviam posted:

On that note, what kind of lovely protective suit can't withstand a loving punch?

I'll give them that one. Our Air Force pilots don't wear bulletproof suits, a starfighter won't wear a war exo.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It was just in a pretty bad crash too. The punch was just the last bit needed to put it out. I think they did have it strapped down but underestimated how useful the tentacles were or something.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
I was watching G.I. Joe Retaliation (I'm sorry) and in the very first scene, Dwayne Johnson puts on what basically amounts to a pair of gloves that superheat themselves to melt through a chain link fence. I winced through that whole thing. Why gloves? Why not a wand so that the molten steel that drips down from the fence above doesn't hit your skin while you're doing it? Also RZA. Also the whole drat thing.

I did like Ray Park as Snake Eyes though.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

theironjef posted:

They're just gonna make Hope van Dyne into the Wasp if the film gets a sequel. Plus they will almost definitely leave room for Janet to be a flashback era character for yet another Marvel TV show or something.

I'm pretty sure they've flat out said Evangeline Lily's character will be the Wasp in the future. They've also said Ant Man is basically a way to partially fill in the 70s-80s era of the MCU where we don't know much about what went on.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

mind the walrus posted:

And given how Thor has been ducking Sif to fool around with Natalie Portman I can believe she'd keep it a secret to spite him. Girl must be pent-up like a geyser.

Although that's my irrationally irritating moment-- how the gently caress have they dragged out a love triangle between those three over two movies? More to the point how is there even a competition? The obvious answer is Loki Sif.

I bet all the Asgardians are super weirded out by Thor's relationship with what seems to be a child. Like they're all like, "there goes thor, what's his username jajajaja".

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I kinda liked Whiplash in Iron Man 2. I think it was the scenes of him working at Hammer on the drone suits, with his hair tied back, tiny pair of glasses and a pen in his mouth. It was like KGBeast going to a fancy dress party as a stereotypical nerd :3: I also liked that he grew to like the bird that Hemmer got him even though it wasn't his 'burd'. Normally that kind of character would have killed the replacement to make a point about 'not my burd' but he was reasonable.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Frostwerks posted:

I bet all the Asgardians are super weirded out by Thor's relationship with what seems to be a child. Like they're all like, "there goes thor, what's his username jajajaja".

They probably are but he's also the Crown Prince so even though he does poo poo like ruin the BiFrost and draw Dark Elves to Asgard to wreck poo poo they've still got be all "THOR BIG FAN LOVE YOU DUDE :d:" every time they see him.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I'm not sure if this applies to the GoT universe, but from what I've read of history legitimized bastards were often never fully considered legitimate by the people, even if their liege did. And other family members who stood to gain from the death of a land owner could and would contest that a known bastard has no right to their inheritance regardless of the legal status of their legitimacy. Ramsay may be legitimized, but his claim still isn't a strong as it would be if he were born of a recognized marriage. But regardless, Ramsay is probably more worried about Roose dumping his rear end once he has a "real" son.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Pretty much every country has some difference in the details of their succession laws, but yeah often enough you would be skipped in line for inheritance or were never eligible in the first place if you were a bastard. Being legitimized didn't necessarily put you line for succession, it just meant the King or whoever acknowledged that they were in fact your father. Hell, in some countries it was possible for you to be the child of a sitting monarch and his legal wife, and still not be in line for succession because your mother's rank was too low. It was called morganatic marriage.

edit: It was also not uncommon for a monarch's wives and their different children to murder the poo poo out of each other for various reasons. Children of the same two parents too. Royalty and aristocracy are hosed up institutions that lead to a lot of hosed up poo poo.

paragon1 has a new favorite as of 10:58 on May 12, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

IUG posted:

He specifically says that Jarvis isn't even close to an AI, he's more like a GUI.

That reminds me. I watched Cap 2 again recently, and when they're in the Apple store trying to track down where the flash drive comes from Widow casually says there must be an AI involved like it's a normal thing.

Then of course in Avengers 2 creating an AI is this massive accomplishment they needed to cheat to do.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Then of course in Avengers 2 creating an AI is this massive accomplishment they needed to cheat to do.

The AI difference between the one in Cap 2 vs. Ultron/Vision is p. large and no one is really that wowed by the idea of an AI. I mean we refer to video game AI all the time yet understandably recognize poo poo like Deep Blue or Watson as next-level.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I'm willing to accept it as the common parlance for "AI" verses what nerds like Tony Stark and Bruce Banner see as AI. To most normal people Jarvis would be an AI, it talks, reasons and can even hold conversations, it seems intelligent. To Tony though that doesn't "count" because he understands the limitations of its thinking.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cowslips Warren posted:

As others have said, yeah, he could get skipped in the line, but you're forgetting its ROOSE loving BOLTON.

If he thinks it'll help him out, he'd probably flay the skin of Ramsay. (Its not like Ramsay wouldn't flay his own dad if he could get something out of it either)

It do like the way Roose was like "you were my son then, and you're my son now" in response though. I mean he's still a cold bastard, but that's about as warm and snuggly a father moment as you're going to get from Roose Bolton.

I actually kinda like Roose, he's super practical. He plays the game of thrones and he understands it. Reminds me of Tywin Lannister, one of the only really "bad" characters who is super self-serving that I really like and respect, because damnit at least he's logical and sensible and gets poo poo done! Rob Stark was cool but god drat he didn't understand how the game is played at all.

Interestingly while Roose is like the new Tywin, Ramsay is like our new Jamie stand-in. Unnecessarily cruel. I wonder if GRRM feels like the audience needs somebody to root against to keep things going. (even moreso than having somebody to root for)

mind the walrus posted:

The AI difference between the one in Cap 2 vs. Ultron/Vision is p. large and no one is really that wowed by the idea of an AI. I mean we refer to video game AI all the time yet understandably recognize poo poo like Deep Blue or Watson as next-level.

Video game "AI" is little more than a few pre-constructed routines in a priority queue. For most games its actually pathetically simple, game developers usually just give the computer players cheats to make them harder rather than try to make them smarter. (But there are exceptions)

Meanwhile stuff like Watson is neural network and still doesn't even approach true AI. Watson can't pass a turning test yet and it can't do natural language parsing at all, its just a really powerful keyword search engine pretty much.

We call things "AI" but we're nowhere close yet, so that all checks out.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 16:24 on May 12, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

BioEnchanted posted:

I also liked that he grew to like the bird that Hemmer got him even though it wasn't his 'burd'. Normally that kind of character would have killed the replacement to make a point about 'not my burd' but he was reasonable.

Surprising nobody, I really liked this too. His affection for the bird was a pretty good way to humanize him imo and make him a little more than the typical heartless-criminal-thug sort of villain.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Surprising nobody, I really liked this too. His affection for the bird was a pretty good way to humanize him imo and make him a little more than the typical heartless-criminal-thug sort of villain.

Yeah I really liked how they handled that, he was a sympathetic villain or even an anti-hero. Whiplash was nicer to that bird than Stark is to most people around him, almost makes you want to see Whiplash as a hero. Also he had a fairly tragic backstory and he's just a genius with technology as Tony.

Unfortunately with Justin Hammer as the comedic relief and Whiplash as a sorta anti-hero, and War Machine as a hero competing with Tony, which is all good, we're not really left with any proper villain in Iron Man 2.

3 has the same problem; the biggest villain is the flaws of the heroes themselves. The whole fakeout with the Mandarin was cool but we're left with Aldrich Killian as a bad guy? Who cares.

We need somebody like MODOK to really threaten Iron Man but I don't know how you do that in the cinematic universe.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

Zaphod42 posted:

We need somebody like MODOK to really threaten Iron Man but I don't know how you do that in the cinematic universe.

It's a shame Robert Z'Dar died recently, his huge face would have fit the bill nicely.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Pook Good Mook posted:

Do you know how to sedate an alien?

The straps thing is legit though.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Mousepractice posted:

It's a shame Robert Z'Dar died recently, his huge face would have fit the bill nicely.

Just get Bruce Campbell.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gaunab posted:

Just get Bruce Campbell.

He has already been a floating head once. http://megasxlr.wikia.com/wiki/Magnanimous

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gaunab posted:

Just get Bruce Campbell.

Much like Robert Redford in "The Graduate" I don't believe Campbell would be able to convincingly act as an ugly dude.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Do you know how to sedate an alien?

The straps thing is legit though.

For all they know maybe the sedative will start eating the alien's veins from the inside. Or function like super PCP. Or do absolutely nothing at all.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Len posted:

He has already been a floating head once. http://megasxlr.wikia.com/wiki/Magnanimous

That was the reference I was making. I'm glad you got it.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
I watched the Avengers: Age of Ultron, and it was better then I thought. I have one small irrationally irritating bit though.

I know there were a ton of product placements, but In the bike scene, Black Widow is riding an un-released Harley-Davidson "Live Wire," HD's possible first attempt at an electric bike.

I'm not sure why it irked me, aside from the fact that Harley either won't release the bike, or if they do it will flop. I don't see how product placement is gonna help that fact.

Also it doesn't sound like it did in the movie, but that didn't bother me as much is just an odd choice of advertising.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

That reminds me. I watched Cap 2 again recently, and when they're in the Apple store trying to track down where the flash drive comes from Widow casually says there must be an AI involved like it's a normal thing.

Wasn't the "AI" just a computerized Zola? So it's almost an AI, as it's just a computer's download of a human mind. It's been a while since I've seen the movie, so I don't really recall the point of the drive, or the problem they had to access what they needed from it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was, though she doesn't know it at that point.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I had a free day yesterday, was already in the mall with my wife at 1 PM, had absolutely nothing to do, and still couldn't bring myself to go see Age of Ultron

I just don't give a gently caress about the universe anymore; I'm so oversaturated with it at this point, between movies, my kids video games, and cartoons. I hope people start getting tired of it soon, or I'm going to be forced to watch black and white French movies from the 60s to cleanse my brain.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You sound fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
My bad, forgot this was the PYF Reason Other People Are Wrong About Their Irrational Irritating Movie Moments