Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I remember having some problem with Kino's Journey, but it's been so long since I watched it that I can't recall what it was.

I didn't dislike it or anything, I just remember something about it really bugging me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

I remember having some problem with Kino's Journey, but it's been so long since I watched it that I can't recall what it was.

I didn't dislike it or anything, I just remember something about it really bugging me.
was it the way everything looks kinda washed out and there's weird horizontal lines

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Nah, though it was probably the first time my expectations for a show's art direction (informed by Kuroboshi's illustrations) had to be lowered when faced with the finished product. Them's the breaks, of course. I know that now. At the time though, it was pretty disappointing.

I feel like it was something more central to how the show operated. Good thing I've got the DVDs right here so I can watch 'em again.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Endorph posted:

I don't know how you can say 'constantly on guard against strangers' when she's friendly and cordial to everyone she meets.

Like I can see what you're saying but your reading of Kino no Tabi is really bizarre and paints it as something it just isn't. The only people Kino directly kills are the bandits in I Want to Live and the king in Avengers. Heck, the only combat she sees is in those episodes.

There are at least two more stories in which she engages in some pretty brutal violence. Particularly notable in The Country of Illness since that's the only time she actively breaks her own moral code.

Endorph posted:

was it the way everything looks kinda washed out and there's weird horizontal lines

They're a really weird choice. I read one account that suggested that they're artefacts present because of loss of material in transferring the episodes into a digital format, but I think thy're probably deliberate. Kino means camera, after all, and her journeys are all about attempting to observe the world she's travelling through -- the series is really a contemporary take on Gulliver's Travel's in that sense. Kino constantly attempts to position herself as the objective, non-interfering eye of the camera, but it's a consistent struggle.

I like the scan lines, since they suggest that this kind of vision is an inherently imperfect and limited one, and it adds to the way the show attempts to trouble the idea of Kino's documentary-like gaze. However, at the same time I don't like them that much, since the show ends up looking a little ugly at times. I don't think it's a coincidence that most of the images of the show that exist are from the few scenes and production materials that don't have the lines on them.

The one time the show drops the scan lines is in The Country Of Illness, but the idea of the camera reasserts itself during the episode's final sequence, when she's ducking in and out of the maze of projector screens, and having various different images projected onto her. It's also, as I said before, the one story in which Kino completely drops her non-interference protocols, and actively decides to intervene, so the loss of the camera eye effects makes a lot of sense. It's her enemies, who are trying to contain and neutralise her, who are the ones who are constantly looking at her through monitors and cameras and such.

I really like Kino's Journey, basically. I've only really been watching anime for about five months (though I've watched a lot, don't get me wrong), but it's certainly one of the best things I've seen out there. It's also one of the most cinematic television shows I've watched -- from anywhere, not just in anime -- in the sense that it's really about how cinema exists and is produced, and about how the documentary camera functions. This is in addition to it being a show that interrogates various different kinds of philosophical or governmental tracts, and having a really beautiful Ghibli pastiche episode.

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy
are there any good vampire animes or anything else that leans into gothic horror elements? i am in NG+ of bloodborne and may replay castlevania: sotn soon and am in the mood for the aesthetic. i've seen hellsing ultimate and loved every bit of the illustration and hammy over-the-top presentation. i was also a big fan of the vampire hunter d movies. in contrast, i thought blood+ was utter garbage.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I've heard people like Dance in the Vampire Bund but I've never seen it myself.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

dont watch dance in the vampire bund, its about a dude who really wants to have sex with a little girl vampire

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

But enough about monogatari

yeah, vampire bund sucks. Shiki is cool, though. Jealous of their hair.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Oh. Oops, sorry. Goes to show I should probably check out more before mentioning a show.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

the dude in monogatari wants to have sex with more than the little girl vampire :greencube:

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

thanks rear end in a top hat. i think i'm on some sort of FBI watchlist. GIS confirms that this is some purestrain pedo fuel.

Cake Attack posted:

i've always been meaning to watch shiki, thanks!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, my bad. Glad I didn't click the link I saw to find what the show was about, though!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's Trinity Blood which a bit like Hellsing meets Trigun only not as good as that sounds, I can't really remember much about it other than that. Oh there was an android dude who did gunkata from Equilibrium in it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

There's Trinity Blood which a bit like Hellsing meets Trigun only not as good as that sounds, I can't really remember much about it other than that. Oh there was an android dude who did gunkata from Equilibrium in it.

He even rips off the Dark Room fight from the start of the movie wholesale :allears:.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Definitely watch Shiki, it's a vampire story about the failings of modern liberal society with lots of BL subtext. Valvrave is a vampire story set in space and which also happens to be Nazi apologia, with some BL subtext. The currently running Seraph of the End is a vampires vs shinto demonologists story with even more BL subtext.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

BL?

Boy Love?

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

Definitely watch Shiki, it's a vampire story about the failings of modern liberal society with lots of BL subtext. Valvrave is a vampire story set in space and which also happens to be Nazi apologia, with some BL subtext. The currently running Seraph of the End is a vampires vs shinto demonologists story with even more BL subtext.

i'm a-okay with BL, subtext OR text. my deal breaker is really just women with impractically huge titties dressed in distracting outfits recommended by kotaku writers, like blade & soul. that and moe; moe is awful and the fact that it's so prevalent that I have to resort to taking kotaku recommendations and watch blade & soul.

actually guys, I don't think I'm cut out for this whole anime thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

moe isn't really that prevalent

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Necronomoticon posted:

i'm a-okay with BL, subtext OR text. my deal breaker is really just women with impractically huge titties dressed in distracting outfits recommended by kotaku writers, like blade & soul. that and moe; moe is awful and the fact that it's so prevalent that I have to resort to taking kotaku recommendations and watch blade & soul.

actually guys, I don't think I'm cut out for this whole anime thing.

It is my firm belief that there is an anime for everyone

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Moe is life

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

littleorv posted:

It is my firm belief that there is an anime for everyone

yes, and it is called legend of galactic heroes. everything else I watch is just trying to find something that'll provide comparable joy.

also, shiki is passing the three episode test. i wish they were able to distinguish the characters in ways other than ridiculous hair, but otherwise I'm liking it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
People whine all the time about the pacing of Shiki, but it's entirely worth seeing the slowly unravelling status quo of the village as the tension gradually ramps up. And by god is there a good payoff at the end.

It's also a very character-driven show, so it needs alot of time to get used to the huge ensemble cast of characters.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Necronomoticon posted:

yes, and it is called legend of galactic heroes. everything else I watch is just trying to find something that'll provide comparable joy.

also, shiki is passing the three episode test. i wish they were able to distinguish the characters in ways other than ridiculous hair, but otherwise I'm liking it.

Watch the new Arslan series, it's based on books by the LoGH guy.

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Watch the new Arslan series, it's based on books by the LoGH guy.

this is good, thanks! I was planning to rematch steins;gate to get ready for the English VN release on Vita soon, but this seems like a better use of my time, and steins;gate is one of my favorites!

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
So I'm pretty sure I haven't asked for this rec before, but I could be wrong. I've watched Patlabor and 08 MS Team lately, and I'm looking for more of that sort of 'grunt-level' science fiction. I've watched LOGH and it's got the right tone, but I'm looking for something focused a little more on the salt of the earth, regular rear end people doing crazy robit or fantasy stuff. Any ideas?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You could try Gasaraki, it has probably the most realistic depiction of mecha in anime and it's mostly normal people doing stuff in fairly lumbering tank like things. Be warned though that while the main plot is fairly political, it has a secondary plot involving inter dimensional aliens or some poo poo.

Also there's Dai-Guard which is about a super robot that's run by a corporation and is very un-super roboty and constantly breaking down, and focuses a lot on the pilot and crew looking after it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

moe isn't really that prevalent

Yah it gets way overblown, even at its peak there were a lot of shows that weren't moe shows (To say nothing of how it's becoming more and more of a meaningless word)

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
LOGH is a moeshit show with moeblob characters like Reinhard von Lohengramm and Yang Wen-Li.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Ugh I hate it when Schenkopp says uguuu to everything!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I want to cuddle with Yang Wenli in the bath with a glass of wine.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

John McClane posted:

So I'm pretty sure I haven't asked for this rec before, but I could be wrong. I've watched Patlabor and 08 MS Team lately, and I'm looking for more of that sort of 'grunt-level' science fiction. I've watched LOGH and it's got the right tone, but I'm looking for something focused a little more on the salt of the earth, regular rear end people doing crazy robit or fantasy stuff. Any ideas?

:siren: PLANETES :siren: as long as you like extreme garbage retrieval and hard sci-fi

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm rewatching Planetes again and I really enjoy the english dub. it's very well done. I'm only on the first episode, so I don't know if it holds, but I have no reason to imagine it wouldn't.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Necronomoticon posted:

this is good, thanks! I was planning to rematch steins;gate to get ready for the English VN release on Vita soon, but this seems like a better use of my time, and steins;gate is one of my favorites!

I'm pretty sure I can watch Steins;Gate any number of times and still love it.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

:siren: PLANETES :siren: as long as you like extreme garbage retrieval and hard sci-fi

I've read the manga and really liked it! Is the anime adaptation any different?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The anime emphasises the character of Ai Tanabe, and while she's a nut, she's quite entertaining to watch.

It has some excellent direction by Goro Taniguchi. He has an eye for technical design, I love the spacesuits that everyone uses, they have a gorgeously utilitarian ruggedness.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phobophilia posted:

The anime emphasises the character of Ai Tanabe, and while she's a nut, she's quite entertaining to watch.

It has some excellent direction by Goro Taniguchi. He has an eye for technical design, I love the spacesuits that everyone uses, they have a gorgeously utilitarian ruggedness.

Didn't they consult NASA for the nitty-gritty details for some aspects of the series?

DVD-grabbing edit: I was right, they did. There's a bunch of NASA interviews on the first few volumes.

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

I'm pretty sure I can watch Steins;Gate any number of times and still love it.

who's to say I can't do both? I was rewatching it with a friend that got kicked out of his parents house, and around episode 13 he just started snoring on my couch like an rear end in a top hat that can't get invested in steins;gate.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

John McClane posted:

I've read the manga and really liked it! Is the anime adaptation any different?

Different but in a change of perspective on the story. Its good and well done. I liked both very much.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
The Planetes anime is pretty great! There are a couple of Zany Hijinks episodes early on which I found terrible, but other than that it was a really enjoyable watch. It gets especially good in the second half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

RabidWeasel posted:

I really wanted to like that show, however about half way through it became a pain to put up with. Like I get what happened but did the MC really need to become an insufferable dickhead, and then he is just gets married after being a total douche? It felt broken after the mindbreak episode

• Locked thread