Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

And they're rumored to be making the next Nexus. :v:

I've already decided to go with the Moto X when they update the hardware later this year.

I wouldn't put it past Huawei to gently caress with memory modules to report a false storage figure to the system so that when you try storing more than 256MB the writes always fail and the memory starts getting corrupted. This already happens with flash drives, take a wild guess where they originate.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

FAUXTON posted:

I've already decided to go with the Moto X when they update the hardware later this year.

I wouldn't put it past Huawei to gently caress with memory modules to report a false storage figure to the system so that when you try storing more than 256MB the writes always fail and the memory starts getting corrupted. This already happens with flash drives, take a wild guess where they originate.

If the rumored specs are true it'll be the phone to beat this year.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Desk Lamp posted:

Which? The X or the Nexus?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Which? The X or the Nexus?

The X 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Skeezy posted:

The X 2015

Oh, yeah that's part of why I decided on that. Other factors include a better camera and faster updates and the fact that my nexus 5's vibration motor will just loving die randomly for no reason, and my girlfriend's N5 has never had a functioning vibration motor and she never said anything about it because she thought it just wasn't supposed to vibrate.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

If Huawei makes the next nexus it'll have no sd-card and will have 32/64gb internal memory. They already have models with 32/64gb so there's no reason to think they'll just build a phone with 8gb and use sdcards for everything since stock android doesn't allow that. You may aswell get a phone that doesn't have problems with the usb port, proper volume, not getting its battery hosed because google and a GOOD camera this round since they use Sony sensors on their devices.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Desk Lamp posted:

Isn't it basically a Turbo with a slightly smaller battery?

Regardless, until moto fixes their cameras it'll still underperform Samsung, LG, etc

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

this_is_hard posted:

Regardless, until moto fixes their cameras it'll still underperform Samsung, LG, etc

Better processor, more ram. Remember, those specs are just rumors.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Hopefully more companies start making IP-rated phones, it's the deciding reason I picked the Z3 over the Nexus 6 and Moto X. That being said, I'm looking forward to Sony's Z4 Z5 assuming their mobile division survives.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

this_is_hard posted:

The thing about a turbo is that it's shackled to Verizon.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

halokiller posted:

Hopefully more companies start making IP-rated phones, it's the deciding reason I picked the Z3 over the Nexus 6 and Moto X. That being said, I'm looking forward to Sony's Z4 Z5 assuming their mobile division survives.

If it does live past the upcoming generation, it'll be owned by a different company, like Lenovo.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

you mean America's Largest and Most Reliable 4G LTE Network?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

FAUXTON posted:

I thought you could run it on GSM as well. Won't get LTE on T-mobile though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TraderStav posted:

I thought you could run it on GSM as well. Won't get LTE on T-mobile though.
It supports Bands 2 and 4 so it should.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
I just got a Galaxy S5 after having used an iPhone 5 for the past few years and an HTC Hero S before that. Are there better screen customizing apps out there than the stuff by Go (Go SMS, etc) now? I adored the fluffy, flowery, cutesy themes it had but I don't want to fill my phone up with a bunch of "trying out stuff" if there's some good recommendations.

And I guess a more appropriate question for this thread, am I in for any bad surprises with this phone? Coming from an iPhone I don't know what I should really judge as bad battery life, but it seems like this one's not doing well. Took it off the charger around 11am, and it's not even 4pm with the battery at 9%. This is from sitting at home and only using it for a bit to browse the forums for maybe 30 mins all together.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I thought all the Go stuff was mostly adware at this point (or always was)? It certainly never struck me as particularly legit-looking and considering it's an SMS client with a $200 in-app purchase it would seem to be at least a little bit shady.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

moonsour posted:

I just got a Galaxy S5 after having used an iPhone 5 for the past few years and an HTC Hero S before that. Are there better screen customizing apps out there than the stuff by Go (Go SMS, etc) now? I adored the fluffy, flowery, cutesy themes it had but I don't want to fill my phone up with a bunch of "trying out stuff" if there's some good recommendations.

And I guess a more appropriate question for this thread, am I in for any bad surprises with this phone? Coming from an iPhone I don't know what I should really judge as bad battery life, but it seems like this one's not doing well. Took it off the charger around 11am, and it's not even 4pm with the battery at 9%. This is from sitting at home and only using it for a bit to browse the forums for maybe 30 mins all together.

Why didn't you get an S6?

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Super Dude posted:

Why didn't you get an S6?

Cost. I'm not the primary account holder and yeah it's a few $ difference but we preferred this one.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Endless Mike posted:

It supports Bands 2 and 4 so it should.

Well even better then. So as long as it is unlocked you should be golden.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

TraderStav posted:

Well even better then. So as long as it is unlocked you should be golden.

Everything Verizon sells is unlocked.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I've had my s6 for a week, really enjoying it. I've got the Diztronic case and while it's nice and offers just the right amount of protection, it has this sharp edge that I don't really like. Has anyone tried this Bomea case? Looks really clean.

www.amazon.com
Nov 5, 2012
I got a nexus 6 today and it is really friggin big. I like it but it's still just really big. the second option in my mind was the S6 and im also really glad I don't have to spend forever trying to make the phone not look like touchwiz/ too bad a moto x update is far eenough away that I cann't wait and the most recent one is already a year old which makes me not want to commit to it.

I want to get a case for it but in the past i haven't been impressed by too many options. somehow when I got the moto x 1st gen i got a case from verizon that I love and wish I could rget a replica to fit this phone. It fits on the phone super tight, has a more solid back with more flexible sides.I just hate how a lot of the cases fit very loosely onto the phone.

www.amazon.com fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 11, 2015

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

www.amazon.com posted:

I got a nexus 6 today and it is really friggin big. I like it but it's still just really big. the second option in my mind was the S6 and im also really glad I don't have to spend forever trying to make the phone not look like touchwiz/ too bad a moto x update is far eenough away that I cann't wait and the most recent one is already a year old which makes me not want to commit to it.

I want to get a case for it but in the past i haven't been impressed by too many options. somehow when I got the moto x 1st gen i got a case from verizon that I love and wish I could rget a replica to fit this phone. It fits on the phone super tight, has a more solid back with more flexible sides.I just hate how a lot of the cases fit very loosely onto the phone.

I have a Ringke Slim someone mentioned here and I loving love it. Keeps the form of the phone and the design (dimple).

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I used a Ringke slim for about a week with my nexus 6. It's a good case but I switched to a spigen slim fit in clear plastic and I prefer it over the ringke.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Turns out the G4 actually does have QC 2.0.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Why come I can't transfer files to/from my Nexus 5 to/from my PC anymore? I connect the USB cable, it charges, but I don't get the option to transfer files.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Just use AirDroid. You have to change the type of connection in the notification shade if you wanna do file transfers but you're better off just using AirDroid and charging via power brick. At least until wide spread USB C adoption.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
I hope it's ok to ask in this thread, but wanted some advice re: phone damage. My phone is an LG G3.

So I dropped a glass on Saturday night and spilled beer all over the place including my phone. A small piece cut my thumb so while trying to deal with that I didn't immediately turn my phone off/remove battery etc, just wiped it off quickly. It was working initially but then 10 minutes later the screen wouldn't come on.

I removed the case and back and there was a small amount of liquid behind the case and inside the back of the phone. Removed battery and turned it on and just got the blinking blue/green LED. I have Asurion insurance so immediately submitted a claim and a new one ended up arriving today. An hour after ordering the new phone the same night it came on.

When turning it on the entire right side of the screen was white with colored stripes and the left side was normal. Now having the phone on since Saturday night, the only thing that seemed off was a small dim area of the screen on the bottom right. It still functions normally in that area as a touchscreen and everything else works normally, just a dim spot in the screen. The only other thing I noticed was yesterday morning it registered that headphones were plugged in when they weren't. I plugged some in and unplugged and it's fine now.

Basically, I can deal with just a small dim area in the screen, and if that's all it was going to be I'd rather send the replacement back and save 100 bucks. Now tonight I've noticed that the dim area actually resolved, and everything looks normal. If there is any chance of further problems happening I guess I'll go ahead and replace, but wouldn't something have malfunctioned by now if that's the case? Can more problems show themselves later? I don't even know if Asurion would let me send the replacement back and refund me anyway. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nosleep posted:

I hope it's ok to ask in this thread, but wanted some advice re: phone damage. My phone is an LG G3.

So I dropped a glass on Saturday night and spilled beer all over the place including my phone. A small piece cut my thumb so while trying to deal with that I didn't immediately turn my phone off/remove battery etc, just wiped it off quickly. It was working initially but then 10 minutes later the screen wouldn't come on.

I removed the case and back and there was a small amount of liquid behind the case and inside the back of the phone. Removed battery and turned it on and just got the blinking blue/green LED. I have Asurion insurance so immediately submitted a claim and a new one ended up arriving today. An hour after ordering the new phone the same night it came on.

When turning it on the entire right side of the screen was white with colored stripes and the left side was normal. Now having the phone on since Saturday night, the only thing that seemed off was a small dim area of the screen on the bottom right. It still functions normally in that area as a touchscreen and everything else works normally, just a dim spot in the screen. The only other thing I noticed was yesterday morning it registered that headphones were plugged in when they weren't. I plugged some in and unplugged and it's fine now.

Basically, I can deal with just a small dim area in the screen, and if that's all it was going to be I'd rather send the replacement back and save 100 bucks. Now tonight I've noticed that the dim area actually resolved, and everything looks normal. If there is any chance of further problems happening I guess I'll go ahead and replace, but wouldn't something have malfunctioned by now if that's the case? Can more problems show themselves later? I don't even know if Asurion would let me send the replacement back and refund me anyway. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks!

More problems might come along later. If it was just water that would be one thing but if there's anything that can poo poo up electronics like nothing else, in my experience that one thing is beer.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

nosleep posted:

Go ahead and replace it. Those things messed up for a reason, so even though they appear resolved there is likely other damage that will become apparent later. You're better off saving yourself the hassle.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

FAUXTON posted:

More problems might come along later. If it was just water that would be one thing but if there's anything that can poo poo up electronics like nothing else, in my experience that one thing is beer.

Milk or salt water is worse.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Cultural Imperial posted:

I used a Ringke slim for about a week with my nexus 6. It's a good case but I switched to a spigen slim fit in clear plastic and I prefer it over the ringke.

Why do you like the spigen better than the ringke? Looking for a case for my n6 now

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

sharkytm posted:

Milk or salt water is worse.

I can definitely see this being the case. Especially salt water.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Eejit posted:

Why do you like the spigen better than the ringke? Looking for a case for my n6 now

I like that it's see-through. It's not much of a reason.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Cultural Imperial posted:

I like that it's see-through. It's not much of a reason.

Ah, there are a bunch of similar slim cases on Amazon and I was wondering if I was missing how one was superior to the others.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Eejit posted:

Ah, there are a bunch of similar slim cases on Amazon and I was wondering if I was missing how one was superior to the others.

I've got an orzly on the way. I'll report back when i get it.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I bought the ringke slim because of this thread, I like it. I had a clear one that I think was spigen but it feels so heavy compared to this one now.

Does anyone use daydreams at all? I am wondering what "docked" is in the settings (for when the daydream activates)

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
My wife's phone has gone to poo poo. She has a case and hasn't dropped her phone but the screen has wigged out.

She got the screen replaced about 5 months ago (from dropping it) from an authorised repair centre. Can someone with more knowledge of phone tech diagnose whether this is due to a faulty screen or a faulty phone?

If it is a faulty screen, does that make it likely she can get it replaced again on warranty?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

xcore posted:

My wife's phone has gone to poo poo. She has a case and hasn't dropped her phone but the screen has wigged out.

She got the screen replaced about 5 months ago (from dropping it) from an authorised repair centre. Can someone with more knowledge of phone tech diagnose whether this is due to a faulty screen or a faulty phone?

If it is a faulty screen, does that make it likely she can get it replaced again on warranty?

Really, she didn't drop if? What phone is this? She should probably go back to that authorized repair center as screens shouldn't "wiggle out" if they were installed correctly and not dropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

myron cope posted:

Does anyone use daydreams at all? I am wondering what "docked" is in the settings (for when the daydream activates)

It's reserved for phones that can actually dock, usually magnetically. You'd think it would tie into Qi but it doesn't.