Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

My question is, there was talk of a bug in this version where retired forts would always be taken over by the first group to attack them after they went to ai control; has this been fixed yet?

I think it has, but I haven't retired a fort in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Jothan posted:

Adventure Mode Everything

This is a fantastic write up Jothan and should be in the OP if not the wiki.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.

Pickled Tink posted:

You'll get up to 11 historical migrants. Starting dwarves are randomly generated. You may get generated additional migrants depending on if that count is only counting living historical figures, or if it is also including the greater population of the civ which is non historical. Nope, you have a shitload of goblins. Congratulations. Rebuild Dwarven civilization!

Oh boy. I've never messed with grand games, I just make small outposts that I eventually get bored with and re-gen a new world. Any recommendations for projects to restore this world's dwarves' prestige to heights unknown? I'm currently planning on getting to the second cavern level asap and just wall myself off from the outside world until I can get things in motion.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Helical Nightmares posted:

I've linked the posts under the Adventure Mode headline for now. Also stuck some links at the very top of the OP so you don't have to scroll through 800 miles of me and Bad Munki to find it.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Is there a good tutorial for making functioning minecart routes? Because the Wiki is near incomprehensible to me outside of the very basics.

Sometimes they work and sometimes the dwarfs fill up the cart with rocks then pick the cart up and carry it to the end of the track. Which while funny, isn't what I want them to do.

Also is there a way to store livestock underground? I'm not sure if all my ducks will starve if I stick them in a cave or not and while I did build them a nice wall to stop Were-creatures eating them all it'd be good if I could just seal them in the fort with me.

Fans fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 11, 2015

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Your grazers need to eat, but they'll accept cave fungus and moss just fine. If you don't have any soil layers to dig out and leave to molder into a pasture, the caverns themselves are your next stop.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
To answer your question more specifically, ducks aren't grazers. Any bird or carnivorous animal won't eat at all.

Radicals
Dec 16, 2005

I wanted to make a video to express the action-packed nature of DF to a younger audience with shorter attention spans.
I created this;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI85gJn3qlQ

Reddit has already rejected it saying it was not good enough, any ideas how I could make it any worse?

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Radicals posted:

I wanted to make a video to express the action-packed nature of DF to a younger audience with shorter attention spans.
I created this;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI85gJn3qlQ

Reddit has already rejected it saying it was not good enough, any ideas how I could make it any worse?

Well, it's got "Parody Montage" in the title. Which isn't really committing to the joke. Most of the time it's better to go straight-faced. Be as earnest about it as possible.

Plus it's not quite overedited enough. If you're going to go for stupid exaggeration, you gotta go way further than you think is remotely watchable. See the following video, which has basically been put through the video editing equivalent of repeated JPG recompression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOb3x8qF27E

e: be sure to read the description of that video.

ee: what am I doing

Rip_Van_Winkle fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 12, 2015

Radicals
Dec 16, 2005

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Well, it's got "Parody Montage" in the title. Which isn't really committing to the joke. Most of the time it's better to go straight-faced. Be as earnest about it as possible.

Plus it's not quite overedited enough. If you're going to go for stupid exaggeration, you gotta go way further than you think is remotely watchable. See the following video, which has basically been put through the video editing equivalent of repeated JPG recompression.

Holy poo poo.

That was beautiful, I see the joke has been done already, but thanks for the advice. You're spot on about going in earnest, good advice. Thanks for the view :)

Radicals fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 12, 2015

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Radicals posted:

Holy poo poo.

That was beautiful, I see the joke has been done already, but thanks for the advice. You're spot on about going in earnest, good advice. Thanks for the view :)

Please see: all of the CamDroid Kerbal Space Program videos.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

-35 dB

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

The horrifying cacophony is crucial.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Does anyone have a guide to Power? I can never really figure out how to get it to work. Specifically, I can't figure out why my gear assemblies are not receiving power from my windmills.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

you have to check if everything is connected, the windmill has to be right on top of the machine you want to power (same tile on the z-level right above) or have a series of components linking the windmill to the machine (vertical axles, gear assemblies) and I think you can check each individual component to see if it's receiving energy and whatnot, with "k"

vvvv yes, that's probably it

program666 fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 12, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

program666 posted:

you have to check if everything is connected, the windmill has to be right on top of the machine you want to power (same tile on the z-level right above) or have a series of components linking the windmill to the machine (vertical axles, gear assemblies) and I think you can check each individual component to see if it's receiving energy and whatnot, with "k"

Right, so windmills only power things directly below them? I figured they worked like gears and powered in the same directions as gears (NSEW+up/down)

I'll try again later, thanks.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Windmills only supply power to the tile directly below their center tile, right? EDIT: oh I see this has been covered

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Zereth posted:

Windmills only supply power to the tile directly below their center tile, right? EDIT: oh I see this has been covered

Yeah, that's probably what I messed up

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
D-d-d-d-devlog.

quote:

Right now, the visitors fall into three groups, the artists, scholars and adventurers, and those can be further divided into those that are just dropping by and those that want a longer term place in the fortress. The current working idea is to have the long-term people petition the mayor or expedition leader for permission to stay and work in the fort, and you'll be the one in control of who gets to stay (since the decision is an official act of the fortress and not the whim of the mayor). There'll be a little petition notification that we can use for all sorts of decisions as we go.

If you have rooms in your inn, people you approve can stay there (there might be room in the inn for the short-term people, but that's uncertain), otherwise they'll stay in a fortress room. If things are working out and they want to stay, you can grant them full citizenship. That distinction doesn't mean much now (it'll acquire more meaning after our first pass on the embark scenarios), but it'll affect which locations they can use (so you can have taverns, temples and libraries for locals, for example, if you want) and it'll give them regular bedroom/property/pet claiming permissions.

Among the adventurers, as you might have seen from world generation, there are various roles -- mercenaries will join your fortress military (for room and board at the current time, until the economy returns), where wandering monster hunters will simply be petitioning for permission to enter the caves to kill beasts, more likely.

So there will be some control over citizen/non-citizen areas, at least. More importantly, we'll get free meatshields to throw into the caverns. :black101:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

when the gently caress is the update with all this happening

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

October

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

N

Leal posted:

October

Nah, probably 2016. We had DF2010, 2012, and 2014.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

From this months report:

Toady One posted:

It's technically possible that we could get a Dwarf Fortress release by the end of the month, and I've written everything out on a theoretical daily schedule that would make it, but I suspect bugs, non-DF hassles and other issues will drag it out by a bit. We're doing well though, in terms of not having another giant multi-year wait.
So probably June, maybe July.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Pickled Tink posted:

From this months report:
So probably June, maybe July.

nice

somehow all of this visitor poo poo is some of the most exciting stuff i've heard him talk about lately, along with all of the extra stuff like temples, taverns and libraries and whatnot. really helps to flesh out the game.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It's like throwing money at them has motivated them a little.

All sounds very cool! I'm looking forward to all my visitors being crushed under my badly designed minecart networks.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fans posted:

Is there a good tutorial for making functioning minecart routes? Because the Wiki is near incomprehensible to me outside of the very basics.

Sometimes they work and sometimes the dwarfs fill up the cart with rocks then pick the cart up and carry it to the end of the track. Which while funny, isn't what I want them to do.

If that's happening the track isn't laid out properly and/or the stops aren't configured with the right direction. Post a screenshot?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Fans posted:

It's like throwing money at them has motivated them a little.

All sounds very cool! I'm looking forward to all my visitors being crushed under my badly designed minecart networks.

Rollercoaster Tycoon Simulator 2015

scamtank posted:

I've linked the posts under the Adventure Mode headline for now. Also stuck some links at the very top of the OP so you don't have to scroll through 800 miles of me and Bad Munki to find it.

:golfclap: Much appreciated.

Because I know I would never be able to find it when I needed it.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Moridin920 posted:

If that's happening the track isn't laid out properly and/or the stops aren't configured with the right direction. Post a screenshot?

Sadly the track is lost to Dwarf Fortress crapping out and crashing, but if I get it again I'll post it! I should really turn Autosave on.

I can get them working 90% of the time, but I'm sure it won't take long to find another that doesn't work.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Seriously, anyone know what is going on here? It's driving me nuts:

Tias posted:

I think my copy of DF is cursed by gypsies. Sometimes it will just freeze my entire OS, and now, upon world generation, it just rejects every single region it makes, even though I'm using single worldgen - I stopped counting at 100 rejected regions, and it's never done anything like that before :confused:

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Helical Nightmares posted:

Thanks!

scamtank posted:

Also thanks!

Toady One posted:

It's technically possible that we could get a Dwarf Fortress release by the end of the month, and I've written everything out on a theoretical daily schedule that would make it, but I suspect bugs, non-DF hassles and other issues will drag it out by a bit. We're doing well though, in terms of not having another giant multi-year wait.

So we could be seeing bugged out demon adventurer visitors without a several year wait? Awesome!

Tias posted:

No, no, you had it figh the first time. Cursed by gypsies.

If you want to see if it's dwarven luck or your just your copy, try grabbing a world seed or other parameters from somewhere and seeing if similar antics arise.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fans posted:

Sadly the track is lost to Dwarf Fortress crapping out and crashing, but if I get it again I'll post it! I should really turn Autosave on.

I can get them working 90% of the time, but I'm sure it won't take long to find another that doesn't work.

Yeah I can get my carts working fine 90% of the time too but invariably on long tracks there'll be one turn done wrong or something and I'll just be frustrated until finally I spot it. It helps to have someone else look with fresh eyes.

The route setup should have a red '!' next to a stop if it's not going to work right - it'll let you create the route but you'll get dwarves carrying minecarts. That's pretty much the only warning you get.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Tias posted:

If you wait for enough world generation rejections, it should pop up a message saying why it's rejecting the worlds. Try using one of the stock world gen templates. If you are, then I have no idea what's wrong. Try a full reinstall from scratch then.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

GreyPowerVan posted:

Nah, probably 2016. We had DF2010, 2012, and 2014.

Dwarf Fortress: The Original Even Year Bullshit

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I like this game and the silly stuff that comes from it, but I really don't get the weird masochistic 'fun' thing going on, I don't really like losing hours of progress because I can't wrap my head around some weird obtuse game mechanic. If I turn off invasions in the newbie pack thing, can I turn them back on later? And does that stop forgotten beasts/wandering were-assholes that have started a seemingly unending were-spiral in my fortress?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

you can aways have walls around the only entrance of your fortress (and you should only have one entrance) and a drawbridge and just rise it if you can't fight. It seems that enemies now can climb walls so make a roof as well.

The thing about "losing is fun" is that after you dominate all mechanics it's fairly easy to never die, by playing "defensively", but it's also kind of boring.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

program666 posted:

you can aways have walls around the only entrance of your fortress (and you should only have one entrance) and a drawbridge and just rise it if you can't fight. It seems that enemies now can climb walls so make a roof as well.

The thing about "losing is fun" is that after you dominate all mechanics it's fairly easy to never die, by playing "defensively", but it's also kind of boring.

I have no idea how to make a hospital, barely understand armies, and even with a drawbridge It seems like the dwarves are never fast enough to close it. Also, there is the issue of the poor bastards working outside.

I really love the concept and it is fun to watch a fortress take shape, the game is just loving obtuse.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Put some doors in front of the the draw bridge, you can lock those instantly and they will buy you some time to close a drawbridge.

Hospitals are Zones. Press i (i think) and designate a room a hospital. Then put beds and a chest or coffer in.dwarves will rest and surgery in the bed and The chest will hold any medical supplies that are needed.

No one understands military. you are right to call it obtuse.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

axelsoar posted:

I have no idea how to make a hospital, barely understand armies, and even with a drawbridge It seems like the dwarves are never fast enough to close it. Also, there is the issue of the poor bastards working outside.

I really love the concept and it is fun to watch a fortress take shape, the game is just loving obtuse.

You don't really need to think about that other stuff for now, just build the doors to buy you time as the other poster said. You can totally forget about hospitals, embark on a peaceful place with no aquifers, focus on building and training armies for now, train bowgunners, build a stair to the wall so your bowgunners may shoot enemies from high above or something. You really can just postpone learning other systems.
Use burrows to force dwarfs to go back to the fortress, if some of them die it's not a problem, just produce enough riches (through rock crafting and I think meals are a thing now) so you will have lots of immigrants.

program666 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 13, 2015

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Hihohe posted:

Put some doors in front of the the draw bridge, you can lock those instantly and they will buy you some time to close a drawbridge.

I am the dumb, that is a great idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

axelsoar posted:

I like this game and the silly stuff that comes from it, but I really don't get the weird masochistic 'fun' thing going on, I don't really like losing hours of progress because I can't wrap my head around some weird obtuse game mechanic. If I turn off invasions in the newbie pack thing, can I turn them back on later? And does that stop forgotten beasts/wandering were-assholes that have started a seemingly unending were-spiral in my fortress?

I agree. It's intended to make people who get hosed feel a little better I think but it goes too far sometimes.

You can turn off invasions and turn them back on later when you're ready. It stops everything including beasts and werebeasts and anything else that isn't friendly.

Make sure you've got a meeting hall designated (most people just use one big dining room or something instead of a bunch scattered everywhere unless you're trying to make your dwarves not socialize), put your levers in a room right next to it so all of your idle dwarves are never more than a few steps away from the levers that need pulling. Alternately, use pressure plates triggered by invaders to shut your gates (that's a little trickier though because the mechanics are a bit obtuse - just hooking a pressure plate up to a bridge won't work properly).

Use DFhack to 'quicksave' often or at least turn the autosave to seasonal.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 13, 2015