Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

I played a poo poo ton of modern during the GP and god drat do I love the format, and affinity.

you're a monster

i play bad decks in that format that are miserable to play against because I want that format to die

deceiver exarch delenda est

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Confession time: I've never played against Twin, or Pod when it was still around. Closest I've gotten to playing T1 decks at my LGS was a match against UR Delver (pre-Cruise ban), one against UG Infect, and a few games against various Junk builds. Half the time I went to play Modern I'd always end up playing against a guy running this Zombie tribal deck, which is a bitch and a half to beat.

E: Speaking of LGSs, if you like yours go support it. I learned today that mine is closing at the end of this month :( Granted I'm moving out-of-state in a week so I'd never go back there anyway, but it still sucks to hear because it was a great store and a big reason why I got back into the game.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 12, 2015

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

AgentSythe posted:

you're a monster

i play bad decks in that format that are miserable to play against because I want that format to die

We here at WIzards of the Coast have thought a lot about this and we've decided to kill off Modern the format, as time and again it has been shown that AgentSythe hates it and continuest o play bad decks in the format. - Tom Lapille

edit: before the thread finds out some other way i am here to admit that I have a past conviction, for being bad rear end as h*ck and repeatedly dunking basketballs

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 12, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

AgentSythe posted:

you're a monster

I play BW Tokens and I don't lose often enough to think the format is unbalanced.

poo poo, if you hate control for whatever reason, Modern's your format.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

This might explain it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Tom Brady played Brainstorm as Ancestral on camera

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

I play BW Tokens and I don't lose often enough to think the format is unbalanced.

i didn't say the format was unbalanced i said it was bad and dumb

i don't hate control

what the hell are you even talking about

e: thanks forums poster rabidsquid good to see i am making a difference

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I heard at least five judge calls tonight asking if first strike or double strike mattered with the fight mechanic. And I was in the other room half the night, so I'm sure there were actually more. Some assumed it worked that way, so they played their fight spell on their first striker, then said "Nevermind" and took it back (with their opponent's permission) when the judge told them it didn't work that way. I'm sure I'll be asked that question until the end of Magic.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Also fun: Fight spells and Assault Formation.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

AgentSythe posted:

i didn't say the format was unbalanced i said it was bad and dumb

i don't hate control

what the hell are you even talking about

e: thanks forums poster rabidsquid good to see i am making a difference
It's just two separate points, man.

Control isn't much of an archetype in Modern and a lot of people seem to hate control.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
http://magic.wizards.com/MTGO/articles/archive/magic-online/magic-online-modern-festival-2015-05-11

Winner gets 1 copy of every Modern-legal set, 1 foil Modern Masters 2013 set, and 1 foil Modern Masters 2015 Edition set

Mirrodin phantom flashback draft comin too

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
I should try out some Modern. I kinda want to do a paper draft with MM2, but having never played Modern, that's intimidating.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

By "copy" do they mean playsets of every modern legal card or like, a box worth of every set that's modern legal?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Dohaeris posted:

I should try out some Modern. I kinda want to do a paper draft with MM2, but having never played Modern, that's intimidating.
Modern Masters has basically nothing to do with modern as a draft product. Most of the rares, uncommons and commons have little to do with anything EXCEPT being a draft product, I guess? Other than having more mechanics than the usual set, it will probably play very close albeit at a higher power level to most limited environments. Probably a bit closer to cube.

The real question is how you feel about 0-2 dropping in a $40 draft. If you don't care, give it a shot after studying the spoiler and prices, maybe you'll hit the tarmottery jackpot.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Count Bleck posted:

By "copy" do they mean playsets of every modern legal card or like, a box worth of every set that's modern legal?

They mean 1 copy of every printing of every modern legal card.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Shovelmint posted:

That seems like value.

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped

Count Bleck posted:

That seems like value.

About 3500 dollars worth. Sam Black on twitter calculated the total prize pool for the tournament at around 10,000 dollars, which is pretty big game.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
In The Year of Our Lord Two Thousand and Fifteen, this is the finest looking card they could provide as a promo:

May as well get someone to fingerpaint that poo poo.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Oooh, my LGS is doing 2HG for FNM. I've played that literally once ever. I've got a halfway decent UB Dragons Control deck (Modeled after shota's) and the Atarka Red I've been playing. Decent combination? Seems like the red can put on pressure while the control counters and protects the red guy. Will drag the girlfriend along to play with me.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

whateverfor posted:

About 3500 dollars worth. Sam Black on twitter calculated the total prize pool for the tournament at around 10,000 dollars, which is pretty big game.

Or about $8 if you're Wizards.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
How did I never know about those textless cards? They look amazing

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Toshimo posted:

In The Year of Our Lord Two Thousand and Fifteen, this is the finest looking card they could provide as a promo:

May as well get someone to fingerpaint that poo poo.

I'm going to kill you, that rules

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

goferchan posted:

I'm going to kill you, that rules

If you think that looks right, I'm gonna need you to read this chart:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Friendly reminder that you are not allowed to like anything Grumpy Poster Toshimo doesn't like.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

The art looks good except for the part where it's blurry as gently caress:

vOv fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 12, 2015

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It already exists with that exact art irl anyway.

http://magiccards.info/mprp/en/16.html

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

vOv posted:

The art looks good except for the part where it's blurry as gently caress:

"Looks good to me!" - MODO Project Director Forums Superstar Count Bleck

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
So, apparently David Ochoa has an invitational card, and he didn't even know it:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Of all things to gripe about when it comes to Magic: The Gathering Online, it's blurry card art. :rolleyes:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It seems people are getting tempted to play modo again, which is more troubling.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Shovelmint posted:

You would end up with three of some cards such as Tarmogoyf because it was in Future Sight, MMA, and MM2.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Count Bleck posted:

Of all things to gripe about when it comes to Magic: The Gathering Online, it's blurry card art. :rolleyes:

The only reason I play MODO is for the blurry card art, its like watching an SCG stream for the card glare.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Wow, Wizards re-using promos now.

I have a textless Helix on MODO from like 6 years ago :smugdog:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
The best textless spell will still be cryptic command imo

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I've always liked the textless mortify.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
gently caress modern.

Modern would be amazing if they unbanned DRS, punishing fire and bloodbraid.

Jund would wreck face of it could actually be Jund and not some poo poo deck where all the good stuff is banned.

Basically what I'm saying is let me play my legacy deck in modern and win.

Edit: also reprint hymn to tourach and sylvan library. Thanks wizards.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 12, 2015

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
They need to print a textless Balduvian Shaman or Ice Cauldron.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Zemyla posted:

They need to print a textless Balduvian Shaman or Ice Cauldron.

Textless Chains of Mephistopheles, so it's something that actually sees play.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I crack packs for Hymns because they are a buck each so gently caress it. I can't get behind Hymn in modern, but cabal therapy in modern would be really fun. It's so drat skill testing and satisfying when you hit something blind and it wins you the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

gently caress modern.

Modern would be amazing if they unbanned DRS, punishing fire and bloodbraid.

Jund would wreck face of it could actually be Jund and not some poo poo deck where all the good stuff is banned.

Basically what I'm saying is let me play my legacy deck in modern and win.

Unban Dig Through Time, it being on there is stupid since it more or less got preemptively banned along with Cruise, and without it non-combo Blue decks are pretty bad

• Locked thread