Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Somebody's got to take on the crown of fellating the powerful now that Paul Thomas is gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the Tory-Lib Dem coalition – The general election campaign enters its final day with rows about what will happen on 8 May continuing"

Telegraph:

Election 2015: Q&A - what happens if no-one wins?

Independent:

David Cameron: Miliband would not be legitimate as PM if Labour came second

Times:

Mail:
Mac on... Voting Labour on Thursday

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
After how hosed they've been with the current coalition why would the Lib Dems stick with Cameron rather than join a Labor or Labor/SNP coalition? I simply don't get it.

Though honestly at this point the most realistic answer in my opinion would be either a unity government or a minority government. I can't see either side pulling out a majority even with minor party support.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail:

Maso-sadism! :whip:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail:

This Hellraiser reboot is a bit underwhelming, if I'm honest.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:siren::britain::siren::yayclod::siren: IT'S GENERAL ELECTION DAY, GOONS! :siren::yayclod::siren::britain::siren:

Don't forget to get out there and give a politician a kiss! x~:smug:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the general election – Clegg indicated that he would not form a coalition with either the Tories or Labour that would not guarantee a majority in the House of Commons, but said a coalition government was “very likely”."

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Mail:
Mac on... Britain's nuclear weapons if Labour teams up with SNP

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Election 2015 results

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the general election and the Queen's speech – Contrary to some reports, the monarch is expected to give Queen’s speech on 27 May even if there is a risk it will be overthrown the following week"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Mail:
Mac on... The election results

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the general election result – Regarding the future of the UK itself, the task facing David Cameron is simply expressed – to keep the country together, not to force it apart"

Telegraph:

After Saatchi & Saatchi.

Independent:

After Bruegel.

Times:

Stephen Collins:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"The price of David Cameron's victory - Chris Riddell on the stranglehold of the Conservative right on the prime minister"

Sunday Telegraph:

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

They really missed the opportunity to have a cartoon based on Salmond kicking the door down in Cameron's office and just shouting "You gonna debate me now!?" while he just swaggers in with a smug face.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Cloud Potato posted:

Observer:

"The price of David Cameron's victory - Chris Riddell on the stranglehold of the Conservative right on the prime minister"

I like that David Cameron's leash is old rope. Maybe Riddell is getting better at this cartooning malarkey?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Yes, Ed Miliband, a likely presenter of Top Gear. This was a good cartoon up until that point.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

J_RBG posted:

I like that David Cameron's leash is old rope. Maybe Riddell is getting better at this cartooning malarkey?
I don't quite get why he has Sturgeon on a leash. If the SNP can influence the Tories (hint: they can't) then that's good for the SNP since it proves they can get concessions for Scotland as promised. If the SNP can't influence the Tories (which will actually happen) then that's good for the SNP since it supports their narrative that the Tories are shits and Westminster doesn't care about Scotland. Either way the SNP wins.

All Cameron can really do is call their bluff by offering full fiscal autonomy straight away but that's not really the same as being their puppetmaster, it's a high-risk strategy that might work or might fail massively.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Zephro posted:

I don't quite get why he has Sturgeon on a leash.

Honestly, the fact that Riddell hasn't included a paragraph-long speech bubble explaining exactly why Sturgeon is on a leash here probably counts as progress, so I'm okay with this.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Zephro posted:

I don't quite get why he has Sturgeon on a leash. If the SNP can influence the Tories (hint: they can't) then that's good for the SNP since it proves they can get concessions for Scotland as promised. If the SNP can't influence the Tories (which will actually happen) then that's good for the SNP since it supports their narrative that the Tories are shits and Westminster doesn't care about Scotland. Either way the SNP wins.

All Cameron can really do is call their bluff by offering full fiscal autonomy straight away but that's not really the same as being their puppetmaster, it's a high-risk strategy that might work or might fail massively.

I think it's meant more in the sense being constrained by than literally "on a leash like a pet". That a Conservative majority both constrains him by having to appease all the Tory promises on cuts and the EU referendum and constrains the SNP because they can't use their large contingent of MPs to stop him passing legislation. It's not a win-win for the SNP because they have literally won about as much as is every possible to and so now there's the risk that all people will see is that despite their bluster the SNP can't just wave a magic wand to get things done. We've reached peak SNP popularity so the game is about keeping their voters happy so things don't end up swinging back to Labour.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're a bit hosed really.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the aftermath of the general election – The Liberal Democrats aim to begin their recovery from a disatrous election by choosing the successor to Nick Clegg by mid-July, with Tim Farron and Norman Lamb the frontrunners"

Telegraph:

Blair tells Labour: return to the centre ground to win again (I think the guy on the left is Chuka Umunna)

Independent:

Times:

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

goatface posted:

They're a bit hosed really.

Preety much. Everyone thought that Labour would of gotten in by coliation or minority including the SNP. What they didn't expect was the Tories having a slim majority, making any sort of influence very short then they predicted to have. It's possible that rebels in the Tory benches may give opportunity for the opposition to exploit, they just have to wait for the Tories to get into disagreement with each other.

How this plays to the hands of the SNP I have no idea. The idea of stopping the tories from getting into power while choosing a diffierent party then Scottish labour appealed to Scottish voters but it no doubt raised concern for the English voter becuase they were either lead into believing that the SNP would end up breaking the union or turn England 'leftish'. Combine that with Labour's poor performance, a uncharismatic leader, lots of the rural areas of England being tory strongholds and the press as well.

However this could be another thing for the SNP too use towards their advantage. The Tories getting into power has pissed off a lot of Scots. With the amount of anti-scottish sentiment starting to rise, misunderstandings towards the politics of scotland and getting berated for choosing a different alternative. Scots attitudes towards england will only get even more negaitive to the point that anti-english sentiment will mostly be attributed to anger and dissatisfaction with not only Westminister but the voter base in England. Of course there are areas in England that voted towards Labour all the time like the North East and have a negative attitude towards the south and rural areas which of course Scots sympathise with. However the more England turn towards the likes of either the Conservatives or UKIP while Scotland remains in the left/left-center attitude and Scotland receiving the consequences will further strain things to the point they will just blame England regardless even if it's solely Westminister's fault.

Giving the SNP FFA without subsidies is a posioned chalice. They have no choice but to swallow it otherwise they would be going against their words. Now this is a What If scenario but the SNP's best chance is by thinking rationally while being lucky...no duh. If the SNP somehow (and I do mean somehow) manage to minimlise the damage or even unimaginably gain something out of it while retaining the same stuff as before then I assume public opinion will remain high and prove that the SNP can not only handle itself, but also prove that Scotland can manage by itself. Like I said, complete What If scenario that is unlikely to happen.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Cloud Potato posted:

Guardian:

Times:

That Gove is adorable. I think it's the wig. Also, am I alone in this or is Milano one of the better cartoonists, at least technically? I don't agree with them always, but their style is gorgeous and almost always quite punchy

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on David Cameron's cabinet reshuffle – David Cameron has declared that he will lead a ‘ministry of all the talents’ after he appointed Tories from all wings of the party to the first Conservative-only cabinet in 18 years" After Murnau.

Telegraph:

After Hassall.

Independent:

After the 1922 Committee.

Times:

After Fragonard.

Mail:
Mac on... The SNP's election triumph

Deep-fried Mars bar - Wikipedia

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Oh dear, I know someone who's going be upset about this...

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent:

I wonder who was in third place?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There used to be an upper class on first, then the middle class in second, and the working class in third. Now there is only the rich in first and the rest in second.

We have thus reduced the number of classes, moving us that much closer to a truly class-free society!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It is pretty lovely. Here in Canada French Canadians have been able to elect their own independence party to parliament and people mostly restrained themselves from screaming about frogs' legs and drawing them all wearing striped shirts and berets.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Whatever happened to Australian cartoons? Abbot is a godsend face for cartoonists and I wouldn't mind seeing more of it without venturing into the general politoon thread.

Dolash posted:

It is pretty lovely. Here in Canada French Canadians have been able to elect their own independence party to parliament and people mostly restrained themselves from screaming about frogs' legs and drawing them all wearing striped shirts and berets.

They were missing out then.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I think it's meant more in the sense being constrained by than literally "on a leash like a pet". That a Conservative majority both constrains him by having to appease all the Tory promises on cuts and the EU referendum and constrains the SNP because they can't use their large contingent of MPs to stop him passing legislation. It's not a win-win for the SNP because they have literally won about as much as is every possible to and so now there's the risk that all people will see is that despite their bluster the SNP can't just wave a magic wand to get things done. We've reached peak SNP popularity so the game is about keeping their voters happy so things don't end up swinging back to Labour.
Hm. I dunno if I agree with your analysis of the SNP - we've definitely reached peak popularity, but if they send a bunch of Westminster MPs to London and nothing changes then they can spin that as "look, we tried working within the system and it didn't work, all we can do now is change the system (ie vote to leave)." If the Tories really let the right-wing agenda rip then I can see that working. Especially since the SNP have been running Scotland for years, so they can say "look, we are a credible party of government, we just can't work within this system because the electoral arithmetic means Scotland will always be ignored".

If Cameron is smart, and can persuade his party (the latter being harder than the former) then they'll drip-feed concessions throughout the Parliament in an attempt to blunt the SNP attack and then see how things look after the next election. But I dunno. Not many things ever feel inevitable in politics but independence really feels like a Thing That Could Happen in the next decade or two at this point.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 11:10 on May 12, 2015

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent:

This from the paper that was ordered by its Russian-oligarch boss to endorse the coalition, lol

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Trickjaw posted:

Oh dear, I know someone who's going be upset about this...

I think I've been dulled and jaded by this point. It's nowhere near as lovely as the Thomas ones used to be- remember the homeless Scot begging Osbourne for change?

Also it's just wrong, haggis and deep fried mars bars are amazing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Coohoolin posted:

I think I've been dulled and jaded by this point. It's nowhere near as lovely as the Thomas ones used to be- remember the homeless Scot begging Osbourne for change?

Also it's just wrong, haggis and deep fried mars bars are amazing.
Maybe :thejoke: and it's not an anti-Scot thing.

Cartoonist Stanley McMurtry thinks that soft southern MPs lack the constitution to deal with real food.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe :thejoke: and it's not an anti-Scot thing.

Cartoonist Stanley McMurtry thinks that soft southern MPs lack the constitution to deal with real food.

Of course it's an anti-Scot thing, it's the daily mail. Come on.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Paladinus posted:

Whatever happened to Australian cartoons? Abbot is a godsend face for cartoonists and I wouldn't mind seeing more of it without venturing into the general politoon thread.

I agree with this. We all need some help in dealing with a right-wing majority and the Australians must be experts in it by now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Coohoolin posted:

Of course it's an anti-Scot thing, it's the daily mail. Come on.
That or Mac is trolling them and it is secretly a 'southerners have weak stomachs' thing.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Zephro posted:

Hm. I dunno if I agree with your analysis of the SNP - we've definitely reached peak popularity, but if they send a bunch of Westminster MPs to London and nothing changes then they can spin that as "look, we tried working within the system and it didn't work, all we can do now is change the system (ie vote to leave)." If the Tories really let the right-wing agenda rip then I can see that working. Especially since the SNP have been running Scotland for years, so they can say "look, we are a credible party of government, we just can't work within this system because the electoral arithmetic means Scotland will always be ignored".

If Cameron is smart, and can persuade his party (the latter being harder than the former) then they'll drip-feed concessions throughout the Parliament in an attempt to blunt the SNP attack and then see how things look after the next election. But I dunno. Not many things ever feel inevitable in politics but independence really feels like a Thing That Could Happen in the next decade or two at this point.

This assumes that the softer part of the SNP vote can emotionally detach themselves from the union completely and won't care about Tory governments in RUK if Scotland gets FFA or independence or whatever. I can see the SNP being permanently entrenched in Holyrood for the foreseeable future but I think a lot of voters are going to be more pragmatic in the Westminster 2020 election in terms of returning more Labour MPs. That being said I don't think it's going to return to the previous status quo of 40+ Labour MPs at all. It'll certainly be interesting to see what happens in the former Lib Dem constituencies both north and south of the border. With no more incumbents and battered local parties they're really going to struggle.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
Meanwhile

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Exclusive: Why Nigel Farage is happy to accept our continued monetary support in return for exclusives.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
loving foreign boats. They sail here and stay at our ports like it's their home.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Different levels of irony in that
We'd have no Prince Harry if it wasn't for boat migration of Prince Philip

Fluo fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 12, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fluo posted:

We'd have no Prince Harry if it wasn't for boat migration of Prince Philip
I don't see why that matters, Diana Spencer and James Hewitt would both still be here :ssh:

I like the nut diet preventing dementia next to Farage personally.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the new Conservative cabinet – Sajid Javid says that, as the new Vince Cable, he has early plans to further curb already shrunken trade union rights to strike" After Tenniel.

Telegraph:

Tories go to war with the BBC (Ed Miliband hits Ibiza after standing down as Labour Party leader)

Independent:

David Cameron lays out plans for 'blue-collar Conservatism' as cabinet meets

Times:

Mail:
Mac on... Prince Harry's desire to settle down and have children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Fluo posted:

Irony you say?