Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Apparently there were a lot of problems with the first wave of traffic light LED conversions in cold places because nobody considered that they didn't de-ice themselves any more, but that gets solved pretty quickly with heated glass or a nichrome wire in there somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Apparently there were a lot of problems with the first wave of traffic light LED conversions in cold places because nobody considered that they didn't de-ice themselves any more, but that gets solved pretty quickly with heated glass or a nichrome wire in there somewhere.

Someone has to go around and wipe the snow off them in a city near me, or wait for the sun to shine on them.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Ambrose Burnside posted:

I lived in a city that had snow six months of the year and the LED traffic lights had no problems because they all had sun visors on them which kept the snow off just fine. I'm not sure I've ever seen a traffic light that didn't have visors on it. Are there places where this isn't the case?

V V V - Snow didn't usually fall straight down where I lived either.

ductonius fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 10, 2015

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

ductonius posted:

I lived in a city that had snow six months of the year and the LED traffic lights had no problems because they all had sun visors on them which kept the snow off just fine. I'm not sure I've ever seen a traffic light that didn't have visors on it. Are there places where this isn't the case?

The problem isn't lack of visors on top, it's that snow doesn't usually fall straight down.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

In my city they installed a single LED streetlight next to the city hall and put up a big sign about how it was a pilot program and how LED's would save the city so much money and be great for the environment and are generally fantastic and that was like 7 years ago and it's still the only LED streetlight in the city :v:

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

hailthefish posted:

Hey, don't knock incandescent bulbs, they have some great uses!

Like.. uh.. keeping the pump house warm in the winter?

They keep an outdoor vending machine just warm enough to not freeze your soda in the winter.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

EZ-Bake ovens...

They've had to start making them with electric elements built in now. I figure it's part because incandescents are becoming less prevalent, and also to avoid dealing with dumbasses who put in the cfls or leds and complain it doesn't work.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

ductonius posted:

V V V - Snow didn't usually fall straight down where I lived either.

Some (most?) visors are full circles, instead of having a cutout at the bottom.

The bottom cutout will keep the lights pretty visible during snow, but reduces the effect of the visor when the sun is just below the light.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
It may have been said before, but I think it's pretty obvious what's so appealing about incandescents...the fact you can buy a shitload of them for 2 or 3 dollars!

I've got CFLs and LEDs so don't think I'm some change fearing heathen, but I've got a few cheap rear end lamps here and there that are RARELY used that I just can't justify throwing a $30 LED bulb in. I've got 40 or 60w regular ol' electricity wasting bulbs in them and they work just fine the 3-5 minutes of use they get a year. I dropped $7 on a billion pack of incandescents eons ago and there are still about 1/2 a billion left.

Same story with 40w bulbs for my fridge. I got a dozen pack who knows how long ago that I'll probably be using over the next 10 years. Sure I could probably save some major power over the course of a few months/years if I put an LED in there, but the ol 40 watters doing fine for now and has been for over 5 years since we got the fridge.

I did however replace our 4 outside flood lights with LEDs (even though the old halogens worked fine and had for years) just because those suckers draw some serious juice, and I think the LEDs get better range/distance anyway.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 11, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Tyson Tomko posted:

It may have been said before, but I think it's pretty obvious what's so appealing about incandescents...the fact you can buy a shitload of them for 2 or 3 dollars!

I've got CFLs and LEDs so don't think I'm some change fearing heathen, but I've got a few cheap rear end lamps here and there that are RARELY used that I just can't justify throwing a $30 LED bulb in. I've got 40 or 60w regular ol' electricity wasting bulbs in them and they work just fine the 3-5 minutes of use they get a year.

If they're really used that rarely, I'd just get a battery-powered LED floodlamp/work lamp and take that with me when I need illumination.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
LEDs aren't $30 anymore. The best 40- or 60-watt equivalent is around $10, less if you get a six-pack or wait for a sale.

One question for me is what to do when you move. I live in NYC, so people move a ton, and I don't think anyone will want to leave $50ish in bulbs behind. When I upgraded to LEDs, I spergily set aside my old incandescents in the back of a closet.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

LEDs aren't $30 anymore. The best 40- or 60-watt equivalent is around $10, less if you get a six-pack or wait for a sale.

One question for me is what to do when you move. I live in NYC, so people move a ton, and I don't think anyone will want to leave $50ish in bulbs behind. When I upgraded to LEDs, I spergily set aside my old incandescents in the back of a closet.

When I moved into my apartment, there were crappy incandescents in the sockets. When I leave, there will be crappy incandescents in the sockets. Between then I'm using my LEDs/hybrid bulbs.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

Anne Whateley posted:

Home Depot's running a sale right now with $5/2pk Phillips 60w bulbs. They're "only" 10 year life, so I don't know what the quality difference between those and the other Phillips, but if you're looking for some great priced bulbs, those are it. I think I saw Lowe's selling bulbs at $2.50 each, but can't remember what they were.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-60W-Equivalent-Soft-White-2700K-A19-LED-Light-Bulb-2-Pack-455576/205815532

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Anne Whateley posted:

I did the exact same thing. Every fixture in my apartment had an incandescent bulb when I moved in, I replaced all with CFLs, but those incandescents will be back in all fixtures when I move out.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
If I bought a full-price LED at a shop here would it most likely perform better than my direct from china $10 "2000 lumen" bulb?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Baronjutter posted:

If I bought a full-price LED at a shop here would it most likely perform better than my direct from china $10 "2000 lumen" bulb?

Probably less change of counterfeit electronics inside the thing. At less cheaping out on every single aspect of the power supply. The difference between a binned Cree LED and some noname shitbox LED can be pretty extreme.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Baronjutter posted:

These days the cost difference between LED light bulbs comes down to cooling, flicker and noise, and compatibility with dimmers.

More expensive bulbs have better ventilation, aluminum heatsinks, and even fans to keep temperatures down, which improves lifespan significantly. The general rule with electronics is that for every 10 degrees Celsius that the temperature goes up, lifespan is halved. Less expensive bulbs are rated for much shorter lifespans because of this. This may not matter so much if you're using the bulb in a cool, well-ventilated area, but if you stick a poorly cooled bulb in an enclosed fixture it won't last very long. Do keep in mind if you're chasing longer lifespans that the LEDs themselves are still going to shift in color and decrease in light output (and thus efficiency) over time, so after a certain point you might start to think about if keeping each bulb longer is really worth it.

The quality of the electronics and their physical construction determines if any flicker is visible, and whether the bulb gives off a hum or whining noise while operating. The power from your wall is 60Hz AC, so without a smoothing capacitor you'd see the bulb flicker 60 times per second, like an old-style CRT monitor or ancient magnetic-ballasted fluorescent light. Even the cheapest bulbs have smoothing capacitors so flicker shouldn't typically be visible, but it will present and measurable on all but the most expensive bulbs. Similarly, coils are glued down with potting compound to keep them from vibrating in an audible way. The best bulbs have the electronics completely potted in blocks of glue and will have no measurable sound emissions, though even the cheapest bulbs have enough potting to keep the sound from being audible for most people. I own Cree 4Flow LED bulbs that are very cheap and have both measurable but not awful flicker and coil whine, but I can't see or hear anything. I'm pretty sensitive to flicker and was to coil whine in the past, but I'm over 30 now so can't guarantee I still have the high frequency hearing to pick it up.

Dimmer compatibility is pretty obvious, if it doesn't say it's dimmable it likely isn't.

Check out electronupdate on Youtube for sperg-level teardowns and reviews of LED lightbulbs, including flicker, noise, and temperature measurements. Here's his review of the Cree 4Flow bulbs, which I really like despite his low opinion (maybe my opinion will change if mine die prematurely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jtx7jhZLNM

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The fact that incandescent light bulbs are designed with the understanding that they can get very very hot, makes them well-suited for use in ovens. I'm not sure if there are any LED oven lights that go inside the oven. Can an LED handle 550+ degrees F?

nm posted:

It bit the guy who mows his lawn.
Yeah, i know he says that the guy always gets let in, but I kind of call bull on that.

No. That guy went into the back yard with a friend of his, and the friend was the one who was bitten. So, the dog protected the property from an unknown stranger who hadn't been there before, who had no permission to be there, and was let in by the neighbor who regularly mowed back there but always with explicit permission.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Leperflesh posted:

No. That guy went into the back yard with a friend of his, and the friend was the one who was bitten. So, the dog protected the property from an unknown stranger who hadn't been there before, who had no permission to be there, and was let in by the neighbor who regularly mowed back there but always with explicit permission.
That bit about explicit permission is exactly what I'd say if someone wanted me to pay for medical treatment and U was unethical. He may be telling the truth, but I'm taking it with a grain of salt.
As for the other guy, if the lawn guy hires help, that isn't a big deal either.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Crappy LED and Neighbour Tales.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

nm posted:

That bit about explicit permission is exactly what I'd say if someone wanted me to pay for medical treatment and U was unethical. He may be telling the truth, but I'm taking it with a grain of salt.
As for the other guy, if the lawn guy hires help, that isn't a big deal either.

Yeah, that "explicit permission" thing is bullshit. There's no way they OK'd every time he'd mow the yard once it became a regular thing. My neighbor's little kids always end up with a ball or frisbee or something in my yard, I usually toss it back over the fence if I notice. I've told them to feel free to come into the yard and grab it themselves, just peek over the fence and make sure the dogs aren't out. The thing is the dogs would never attack, but I don't want the neighbor to worry about it (although the whole family of them has met the dogs). Plus they're *never* out if I'm not home and have no way of getting out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

flosofl posted:

Yeah, that "explicit permission" thing is bullshit. There's no way they OK'd every time he'd mow the yard once it became a regular thing. My neighbor's little kids always end up with a ball or frisbee or something in my yard, I usually toss it back over the fence if I notice. I've told them to feel free to come into the yard and grab it themselves, just peek over the fence and make sure the dogs aren't out. The thing is the dogs would never attack, but I don't want the neighbor to worry about it (although the whole family of them has met the dogs). Plus they're *never* out if I'm not home and have no way of getting out.

The lawnmower guy can easily make a (legal) argument that he had permission to access. On the other hand, he presumably knew about the dog. He also presumably knew the owners weren't home. And, as a homeowner, you do not have a responsibility to make sure that your dog can't bite someone who comes onto your (fenced-in) property and who you don't know. I mean, think about how ridiculous a standard that would be? People own dogs in part specifically to guard their property!

And it's not like the dog ripped the guy's throat out, either. It bit his leg and then retreated when threatened.

I think the landowner had an excellent case for refusing to pay medical expenses for someone who was trespassing, although probably not standing to actually prosecute for tresspassing (because like I said, the actual neighbor clearly had permission to enter based on previous lawnmowing arrangements).

It all goes out the window though when she erected a fence and painted it garish colors, only on the neighbor's side, just to piss him off. Now instead of her explanation of the lawnmowing and dog-guarding arrangements being those of a reasonable neighbor (and see the emails, she was being polite and reasonable after the incident too), they're the word of someone who clearly isn't acting like an adult in the situation, so the judge can discount them.

This is a matter for small claims court, there's no jury, and most likely if legalities come into play it'll be each side's lawyers strenuously advising them to settle the matter out of court. So we're all just armchairing here. I'm just saying: you bring a stranger with you to someone's property where you know there's a dog, and you can see they're not home, then it's on you to make sure your buddy is safe.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

I'm just saying: you bring a stranger with you to someone's property where you know there's a dog, and you can see they're not home, then it's on you to make sure your buddy is safe.

Absolutely agreed.

The whole thing sounds like a huge spite-fest. I've been lucky with neighbors so far. No Hatfield/McCoy level poo poo yet.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Bulbchat: I bought 10 Cree 100-watt equivalents about four months ago. Three have already burned out. Cree replaced the first one no questions asked, but I haven't contacted them about the next two.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Whoa, can you check your wiring? They aren't enclosed, are they? Cree is supposed to be the best, and I've had mine way longer than four months.

crazypeltast52 posted:

When I moved into my apartment, there were crappy incandescents in the sockets. When I leave, there will be crappy incandescents in the sockets. Between then I'm using my LEDs/hybrid bulbs.
Yeah, we're hoardery enough to save half-used incandescents, but a lot of people aren't, or are only upgrading when their incandescents fail. It's gonna be kind of interesting to see how that's handled when you can no longer get standard incandescents.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Anne Whateley posted:

Whoa, can you check your wiring? They aren't enclosed, are they? Cree is supposed to be the best, and I've had mine way longer than four months.

I don't own any Cree LEDs for my house, but I did buy 2 Cree LED headlamps to use at work a couple months ago. They burn through batteries at a faster rate than my old standard bulb models do, so I'm not sure what all the hype is.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

theacox posted:

I don't own any Cree LEDs for my house, but I did buy 2 Cree LED headlamps to use at work a couple months ago. They burn through batteries at a faster rate than my old standard bulb models do, so I'm not sure what all the hype is.

I don’t know how this is possible unless they use different sizes of batteries or the new headlamps are bright as gently caress compared to the old ones.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Platystemon posted:

I don’t know how this is possible unless they use different sizes of batteries or the new headlamps are bright as gently caress compared to the old ones.

Old standard bulbs use 2 AA and last 12-14 hours before they are too dim. Cree LED bulbs take 3 AAA and last 6-8 hours. A fair comparison? Perhaps not. All I know is I change a lot of batteries now.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

theacox posted:

Old standard bulbs use 2 AA and last 12-14 hours before they are too dim. Cree LED bulbs take 3 AAA and last 6-8 hours. A fair comparison? Perhaps not. All I know is I change a lot of batteries now.

Assuming they are alkaline, AA hold 2700mAh and AAA hold 1200, or 5400mAh for the standard bulb and vs 3600mAh for the LED headlamp. I have no idea if this is how it works, but I would assume the incandescent bulb will continue to stay lit when the batteries are drained more. I have no proof/evidence or facts to support that claim it is just speculation based on the fact that the voltage the batteries output drops as they die and an old fashioned incandescent probably cares less about the voltage drop than a high tech LED.

That said, everything I see on Amazon for LED headlamps claims 50+ hours of life on AAA batteries, either you got something brighter than the sun or it's old an inefficient.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Crotch Fruit posted:

Assuming they are alkaline, AA hold 2700mAh and AAA hold 1200, or 5400mAh for the standard bulb and vs 3600mAh for the LED headlamp.
The batteries are going to be in series, so you multiply the voltage, not the capacity. AAAs will last half to a third as long as AAs with the same load.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Anne Whateley posted:

I buy LED lights for 3.99-6 euros depending, there are no more incandescents in my house aside from oven lamps and the like. Next step is getting rid of the halogens.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
That's awesome I didn't realize how cheap LEDs had gotten. Any suggestions on what to use in say a fancy bathroom light fixture? I think the proper term is makeup table, like this:

Keep in mind this isn't mine, but the wife and girls have something that's basically the top 2/3 of that. I'd consider myself a borderline CFL expert but I'm dreadfully behind the times LED wise and all of the CFLs we've tried in the past just didn't look right (the various CFLs were put to good use elsewhere so no worries)

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Tyson Tomko posted:

That's awesome I didn't realize how cheap LEDs had gotten. Any suggestions on what to use in say a fancy bathroom light fixture? I think the proper term is makeup table, like this:

Keep in mind this isn't mine, but the wife and girls have something that's basically the top 2/3 of that. I'd consider myself a borderline CFL expert but I'm dreadfully behind the times LED wise and all of the CFLs we've tried in the past just didn't look right (the various CFLs were put to good use elsewhere so no worries)

Well, each of those sconces can generally handle 100 W, since they were made in the days before CFLs and LEDs.

You know what you must do. :getin:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

On the one hand, that's like $2500 in generally useless lightbulbs. On the other hand, you could see that thing from space :getin:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Tyson Tomko posted:

Color is going to be super, super important for a makeup table. Like they should all go to Home Depot and debate amongst themselves, because they're all going to have different needs and preferences.

That said, Cree has this "soft white true color" thing, where the color you see it shed looks normal and warmish, but the colors of items it illuminates are much more accurate than under incandescents. I use them in my kitchen and it's really neat.

That's just considering the aesthetics of the light, though. The aesthetics of the bulb are a different story, because they probably aren't going to love the look of a dozen exposed LED bulbs. I have a similar strip, and I actually stocked up on those incandescents before they were discontinued, because I don't think anything else looks right. I always do daytime makeup by natural light, though.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Zemyla posted:

Well, each of those sconces can generally handle 100 W, since they were made in the days before CFLs and LEDs.

You know what you must do. :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqOvfMFu9F0

jfc

"Most applications are warehouse..."
:downs:
"office..."
:raise:
"restaurants..".
:crossarms:

LMBO at the mental image of eating under a loving sun.

E: I'm addicted to this loving channel, these things are ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G7TeYojMgY

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 11:48 on May 12, 2015

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

They are indeed enclosed in a "square can" style fixture from the 50's. It's the worst loving thing - a 12-inch square that's flush with the ceiling. Inside is an asbestos box and a curved reflector that sits right above the bulb. Unfortunately it does little since there's a frosted/textured plate of glass that prevents half of the light from escaping. The place was dark and dismal with 60w bulbs, so I popped in 100w LED equivalents. I figured since they produced so little heat the enclosure wouldn't matter, but I guess these things are delicate with heat.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

Wasabi the J posted:

LMBO at the mental image of eating under a loving sun.

You know what a picnic is, right? Now you can do that, but without rain, skin cancer, and mosquitoes!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

High Lord Elbow posted:

You know what a picnic is, right? Now you can do that, but without rain, skin cancer, and mosquitoes!

Yeah, but this is what I think of when I think restaurant lighting:

not this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Perhaps by restaurant they meant atrium bar and grill in a 30+ story hotel?

And the bounce back to ugly-architecture chat for a moment, a couple alums of my tiny liberal arts college got together some funds to build a new art building back in the eighties, with the biggest contributor insisting on choosing the architect. Said wunderkind created a sleek, white stucco building that looks like the love child of Minas Morgul and the Hoover drat. The rest of the college is typical 19th century brick and stonework. It took the college six months to raise funds to build a wall around the thing.