Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

17 losing his poo poo over 16's rocket punch was also really good, I love that 17 seems like exactly the kind of guy who would love DBZ.

Too bad we won't be seeing him for a while.

"He's from the future"

"Yeah, and I'm a park ranger."

They got a lot of mileage out of the gag of 17's eventual fate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
God I can't wait for Gohan to lose it. It's my favorite moment in DBZ and it's going to be so amazing.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

17 losing his poo poo over 16's rocket punch was also really good, I love that 17 seems like exactly the kind of guy who would love DBZ.

Too bad we won't be seeing him for a while.

Unless they decide to have 17 in Cell's head like Nail and Kami are in Piccolo's.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
One thing I never understood was how 17 and 18 fit inside Cell.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I assumed they dissolved...until he spit up 18.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Covok posted:

I assumed they dissolved...until he spit up 18.

I appreciate you spoiling that 20 year old plot twist.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

Science. Delicious, magical science.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Enourmo posted:

I appreciate you spoiling that 20 year old plot twist.

Meh, force of habit. My real life friends are so anti-spoiler that it has become a habit.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Unless they decide to have 17 in Cell's head like Nail and Kami are in Piccolo's.

I could see them doing that, or just go with the fakeout like regular DBZ does with Cell pretending to be 17 to convince 18 to be absorbed.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The video won't freaking load.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
They knocked it out of the park this episode with Cell. Every Android just completely disgusted with him.

Stop it

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This was a really good episode, like a really good episode. Everyone was pretty much on point and I loved all of the androids in this ep.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm gonna miss the androids when they're gone, if they don't do the Nail/Kami thing like suggested above.

I can't wait to hear what the new Cell sounds like though.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I generally really liked the Android saga so far, but even I must agree, this was a standout episode. Really densely packed with jokes and call backs. That being said, I really don't care for their Cell. Maybe that's because he is generally don't like him all that much, but compared to their Freeza and Vegeta, I find him competitively boring.

Also, man, this really reminds me of the bullshit Piccolo has to go through in the source material. His fusion with Kami is relevant for all of two fights and makes him barely even with 17.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

e X posted:

I generally really liked the Android saga so far, but even I must agree, this was a standout episode. Really densely packed with jokes and call backs. That being said, I really don't care for their Cell. Maybe that's because he is generally don't like him all that much, but compared to their Freeza and Vegeta, I find him competitively boring.

Also, man, this really reminds me of the bullshit Piccolo has to go through in the source material. His fusion with Kami is relevant for all of two fights and makes him barely even with 17.

I think their Cell is fine, and they've done with him what they did with every other major villain - turn up an aspect of their personality (Nappa - big dumb brawler, Vegeta - egotistical as gently caress, Frieza - poncy space emperor) to 11.
Great episode. Really, really great. And the eyes sliding back at the end was fantastic.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

e X posted:

To be fair, that's the case with most powerups in the series. Even Goku's SSJ transformation fits that description, although he gets to show it off much better of course.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

I really like how Cell managed to achieve Semi-Perfect and Perfect state in, what, maybe two whole hours? Modern shounens would have stretched that poo poo out for several arcs.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wonder how much they'll riff on the fact that, starting with this episode, pretty much everyone is going to act like a moron and do the worst possible things to ensure Cell becomes Perfect.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Petiso posted:

To be fair, that's the case with most powerups in the series. Even Goku's SSJ transformation fits that description, although he gets to show it off much better of course.

Eh, not really. The SSJ is a pretty major thing and is treated as such. It is the climax of the Freeza arc and very much a capstone to the series. And it definitly made Goku the strongest character by a large margin. Once he archives it, Freeza pretty much stops being a thread, even at 100%.

Compare that to the God/Piccolo reunion, which was hyped almost as long and in the end amounted to jack poo poo. Even after it, he is barely able to stand up to 17 and would have outright lost to 16. Not to mention that Cell was able to utterly walk over him after absorbing humans offscreen.

e X fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 12, 2015

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

I wonder how much they'll riff on the fact that, starting with this episode, pretty much everyone is going to act like a moron and do the worst possible things to ensure Cell becomes Perfect.

Uh, Trunks? He had his head on right up to and including challenging his own father (who he probably would have lost to in a straight-up fight). Dude might not have been the best fighter in the world but you can't fault his decisions.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Two Finger posted:

Uh, Trunks? He had his head on right up to and including challenging his own father (who he probably would have lost to in a straight-up fight). Dude might not have been the best fighter in the world but you can't fault his decisions.

Also we've got Tien's finest moment coming up pretty shortly. The b-team generally knew what was up.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Also we've got Tien's finest moment coming up pretty shortly. The b-team generally knew what was up.

Thanks for reminding me of one of the hardest fights in DB: Raging Blast 2, when I hadn't unlocked any real items yet and Semi Cell kept smashing my loving face in with Big Bang Crash :argh:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Aurain posted:

I'm gonna miss the androids when they're gone, if they don't do the Nail/Kami thing like suggested above.

I can't wait to hear what the new Cell sounds like though.

Boop. Did all three a few years back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FETB5URGolM

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Sometime ago I wondered who, in the third DBZ Kai Abridged episode, would be the one to say "I am hilarious and you will quote everything I say". I've started to think differently.

Cell: I am terrifying and you will fear everything I say.

... AND DO!! (drinks someone)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Szmitten posted:

Boop. Did all three a few years back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FETB5URGolM

I dig it. I'm sure their perfect Cell jokes are going to be pure amazing too.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Mraagvpeine posted:

Sometime ago I wondered who, in the third DBZ Kai Abridged episode, would be the one to say "I am hilarious and you will quote everything I say". I've started to think differently.

If anyone, I think it would be 16 for this arc. Plus we still have Hercule coming up.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

Cell: I am terrifying and you will fear everything I say.

... AND DO!! (drinks someone)

That back and forth between him and Piccolo was fantastic.

"I sensed a disturbance."
"WELL I AM PRETTY DISTURBING"

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

projecthalaxy posted:

If anyone, I think it would be 16 for this arc. Plus we still have Hercule coming up.

I hope they go one of two ways- either super monotone and boring like Tina from Bob's Burgers, or ultra wacky and high pitched like Snagglepuss.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

projecthalaxy posted:

16 definitely got in some good jokes last episode. Most of his strengths have been as part of the Android ensemble, but it looks like he's coming into his own a bit.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

projecthalaxy posted:

Actually, shouldn't we have seen Hercule by this point? I remember he was on TV while they were at Kami house... or is that later?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One thing I sort of enjoy about DBZA is that while it is comedy it isn't afraid to make character look cool/effective/badass sometimes. It helps sell the character comedy instead of being an unending barrage of jokes like a lot of abridged stuff.

(It also makes jokes like the Piccolo/Android 17 fight go so much better when they do make fun of it. Piccolo/Android 17 is probably the funniest goddamn fight in the abridged series.)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Actually, shouldn't we have seen Hercule by this point? I remember he was on TV while they were at Kami house... or is that later?

Just got done watching the Cell Saga in the Kai version, and unless he appeared in a filler that was removed, he didn't show up until after Cell announced the Cell's Game on tv.

Find it hilarious that Cell first shows up on tv on that workout program Roshi is always watching.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

New Leaf posted:

I hope they go one of two ways- either super monotone and boring like Tina from Bob's Burgers, or ultra wacky and high pitched like Snagglepuss.

Someone does a really good Hercule impression so I think they'll be authentic rather than change it.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

To be fair most people in the manga besides the androids actually drew the right conclusions and did all the right things. They were just too late to stop Cell from snowballing and after that they were just wildly outmatched. The exception of course is Goku who is like no i wont kill you because you look like a good opponent :downs:

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

PiedPiper posted:

I really like how Cell managed to achieve Semi-Perfect and Perfect state in, what, maybe two whole hours? Modern shounens would have stretched that poo poo out for several arcs.

Cell's Semi-Perfect form would have lasted longer but Toriyama's editor thought he looked stupid and told Toriyama to change it fast.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bisse posted:

To be fair most people in the manga besides the androids actually drew the right conclusions and did all the right things. They were just too late to stop Cell from snowballing and after that they were just wildly outmatched. The exception of course is Goku who is like no i wont kill you because you look like a good opponent :downs:

Doesn't Vegeta let Cell absorb 18 in the manga then? Because that is by far the biggest own goal anyone commit in the whole arc (probably the whole show)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Doesn't Vegeta let Cell absorb 18 in the manga then? Because that is by far the biggest own goal anyone commit in the whole arc (probably the whole show)

He still does in Kai, but Trunks punches him into the ocean. But Cell still manage to beat him, 18, 16, and Krillin at the same time.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Horrible Taste posted:

Cell's Semi-Perfect form would have lasted longer but Toriyama's editor thought he looked stupid and told Toriyama to change it fast.

That is close, but not quite what happened. Toriyama sent his designs to his old editor, who had resigned from the position of being Toriyama's editor and asked for his opinion and he returned answers to him giving them very little thought until he saw the prints and realized that Toriyama was still using him even though he had been assigned a new editor who approved all of Toriyama's designs.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Szmitten posted:

Perfect Cell is basically his Alucard voice which I am happy because of how long Hellsing Abridged takes to get made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Perfect Cell voice reminds me of the Cell and the Dead Gay Son parody.

• Locked thread