Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

SRM posted:

I can't exactly afford 8 Shrines of the Aquila.

This isnt a hobby for poors :frogout:

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

Squifferific posted:

It's still entirely possible that there's a brain in a skull somewhere in the robit suits, isn't there? Servitors are basically mindless single task robots, but sidestep the whole AI issue by being built around some poor sap's brain. It's 40k. Even if you can't see it, there's probably a skull in there somewhere.

See also: Skyspear missiles

Space Marine Codex posted:

The skyspear missile launcher fires pre-blessed savant warheads, each a relic in its own right, housing the entombed remains of a distinguished chapterserf. This servitor's mummified brain augments the missile's auto-targeters, allowing it to second-guess enemy pilots or home in on the heretical emissions of their debased machine spirits. Against the dogged pursuit of a savant warhead and its macabre pilot, there can be little chance of escape, while the tank's servo-loaders maintain a steady rate of fire.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I always liked that the Wyvern's Stormshard Mortars shoot a bunch of razor sharp aquilas.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

DJ Dizzy posted:

This isnt a hobby for poors :frogout:

I play guitar on the side and the average "midrange" guitar is about $500. My PRS SE cost about $700. The standard Gibson LP is now about $2000.

I've been thinking about getting into multicopters and that's about a $300-$400 investment for one good one, more to do FPV.

I also have thought about taking up kayaking, that's $1000 just to start.

People pledging for Star Citizen pay about $75-$500+ for a game that might not be released.

This isn't a hobby for commoners, then again many aren't.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
So I snagged Execution Force, and honestly 125 for 4 assassins, Chaos Lord, and Cultists plus a board game to play them on doesn't seem like a terrible deal as far as GW goes.

Which assassin should do first? I am leaning towards Callidus...it seems like a fun model to have.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

BULBASAUR posted:

Its entirely fair for GW to loose out to 3rd party counts-as manufacturers. It's their own fault for creating those opportunities to begin with. Regardless of what you think about Chapterhouse, that suit did a massive solid for 3rd party manufacturers.

If anything it emboldened 3rd party manufacturers because when the dust settled Chapterhouse is still around, they didn't get sued into oblivion and their owners and employees sold into white slavery. They ended up settling out of court and GW lost a lot. Like a whole lot waaay more than what they got.

If anything GW being kind of a shithead has actually created a better market for wargamers as 3rd party manufacturers pick up burned out customers from GW.

So in a way it's a good thing.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Is there any truth to the bit where, during the Chapterhouse thing, GW apparently tried to claim that they owned a trademark or copyright or something on the words "grenade launcher" and "halberd"?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Uroboros posted:

So I snagged Execution Force, and honestly 125 for 4 assassins, Chaos Lord, and Cultists plus a board game to play them on doesn't seem like a terrible deal as far as GW goes.

Which assassin should do first? I am leaning towards Callidus...it seems like a fun model to have.

Eversor assassin 4 lyfe

Edit: lol @ dougefreshpainting spamming eBay with overpriced pieces of the Execution Force. $19 for 15 chaos cultists WHAT A DEAL

Reynold fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 12, 2015

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
The fact that the Eversor doesn't have the ability to ignore armor saves really bothers me...

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Uroboros posted:

The fact that the Eversor doesn't have the ability to ignore armor saves really bothers me...
He has a power sword, so that's something at least.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
Did the Everseer really lose armor pen on his gun? Wasn't it AP 2 or 1 before???

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Doctor Borris posted:

Did the Everseer really lose armor pen on his gun? Wasn't it AP 2 or 1 before???

Yeah, it used to be AP2, but only shot once. Now it can be shot 4 times as either a bolt pistol or needle pistol.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Uroboros posted:

I miss how crazy his gauntlet used to be. D6 extra attacks on the charge, and did glancing hits on a 4+ with it.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

panascope posted:

I always liked that the Wyvern's Stormshard Mortars shoot a bunch of razor sharp aquilas.

And its machine spirit LOVES killing and will sometimes override the crew when it's really getting into it.

Also I just caught up on the last dozen pages and I want to thank you all for making the thread good again. :)

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

panascope posted:

The Emperor's justice is flying towards you at 1500 m/s

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

(not mine)

After many years of gwaking and ebay salvaging, I finally got a Hell Talon to complete my Chaos Airforce: two hell blades and a classic dreadclaw. These are probably my favorite chaos vehicles and I really think they put the other fliers (and any chaos vehicle, in general) to shame. drat pitty they dropped the aesthetic in favor of dino bots.

This model's drat huge and it's going to look really amazing when I finally get around to working on my airwing. I already converted my hell blades so I can proxy them as 30k lightnings which was really easy. I'm looking to proxy this as a fire raptor as it's about the right size, has decent rules, and I can swap in a chaingun to replace the goofy asmetric weapons without much headache. Any ideas on what I could do about the reaper autocannon batteries? On the fire raptor they are gimballed turrets. I can't do that here, but I can do mounts for them on the underside. I'm just having a hard time picturing how to make them look good without locking them in a forwards facing position. I could do that, but it might make the model a bit overpowered.

Here's the underside for reference:

Fire raptor reapers:

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 12, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

FrostyPox posted:

Is there any truth to the bit where, during the Chapterhouse thing, GW apparently tried to claim that they owned a trademark or copyright or something on the words "grenade launcher" and "halberd"?

Amongst many other terms, yes. They also tried to claim ownership of things made by contracted artists who explicitly retained the rights to those creations in their contracts (back then they paid to use the art, nowadays they pay the artist to create art for them to own), then when that ownership was contested they claimed they had no idea where the artists were or how to contact them, while sending new contracts to those artists at their home addresses telling them to sign over everything and backdate these contracts ASAP. One of the artists called bullshit rather rapidly and contacted the defense team about it.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 12, 2015

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
That's pretty hilarious lol

Is GWs legal team run by the lawyer from arrested development???

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

Amongst many other terms, yes. They also tried to claim ownership of things made by contracted artists who explicitly retained the rights to those creations in their contracts (back then they paid to use the art, nowadays they pay the artist to create art for them to own), then when that ownership was contested they claimed they had no idea where the artists were or how to contact them, while sending new contracts to those artists at their home addresses telling them to sign over everything and backdate these contracts ASAP. One of the artists called bullshit rather rapidly and contacted the defense team about it.

How serious is that? I mean is a lawyer pulling this poo poo liable to find themselves in any sort of trouble professionally. Hauled before the bar sort of thing, or is it just going to piss the judge off. Which granted isn't going to do your case any good.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Deptfordx posted:

How serious is that? I mean is a lawyer pulling this poo poo liable to find themselves in any sort of trouble professionally. Hauled before the bar sort of thing, or is it just going to piss the judge off. Which granted isn't going to do your case any good.

GW hired a US firm to run the case for them, and the particular lawyer they got is notoriously sleazy and had been cited for failing to produce evidence despite being an order compelling him to do so in an unrelated case. Lots of lawyers, him included, really push the limits of legal ethics every day, but it seems like he also routinely steps across the line. He did a lot of super sleazy things in the GW case, but the judge was sick of the entire case and only pinged him for one of them.

The appeal in particular (both sides appealed parts of the ruling) used every tactic not in the book to try and force Chapterhouse into bankruptcy before it could reach an appeals court, to make CHS to give in on everything and overturn all the original rulings. It only partially worked - they successfully forced CHS to the wall, but the guy held on long enough that the appeal was about to be heard and GW was forced to reach a settlement vastly in his favour. At the same time he couldn't really afford to go the full 12 rounds in the appeal, despite the extreme likelihood of victory, so taking the deal saved GW from an even further mauling in the courts.

Now have most of my Eldar army plus friends :3:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:14 on May 12, 2015

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Deptfordx posted:

In the UK there are a number of things that can happen:

GW can sue the solicitor/firm for professional negligence - this would lead to probably a settlement with a payout from the Professional Indemnity Insurance all solicitors + firms have to have.

The solicitor could potentially be punished by the Solicitors Regulatory Authority in various ways, including fines and potentially being barred.

You can also be punished in costs - in that even if you're successful the other side don't have to pay your costs, or you have to pay more of the other side's costs than you normally would have to do if you're unsuccessful.

(currently becoming a UK solicitor IRL)

The long and short of it is the shenanigans with the contracts is very loving stupid, and could potentially be a breach of the Code of Conduct (duty not to mislead the court, Chapter 5), but honestly depends on the exact circumstances rather than "some dude on the internet said they did this!"

I could read the judgment and try to pry out what might have happened but cba at the moment.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Yeah it's all there in the lengthy judgment that I too cba parsing, but some dude on the internet :v: on dakka is a contracts lawyer or somesuch in the US, and parsed it all into regular person language at various stages during the affair

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Ha , I hadn't heard the contracted artists stuff. That's pretty skeazy but not unheard of. Still that's hilarious. In other news GW has pretty much moved to shut down all of Australia's online sellers from selling GW products. So hey, enjoy using their webstore you Aussies.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Finally got around to finishing some Plague Drones I've had sitting around forever:

Now I need to either pick up some Beasts of Nurgle or get a Maggoth to make a Great Unclean One. Not sure which yet, though it will depend heavily on eBay's prices.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
got drat

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, ok, that's more like it. :science:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

NTRabbit posted:

Lammo.

I'm getting a strong Strogg vibe off of those :stare: (which is cool).

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Pyrolocutus posted:

I'm getting a strong Strogg vibe off of those :stare:

That's good, because I doubt any of those poor bastards chose that fate themselves.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

After going through bits, I've decided Captain Taurus is going to wield STORMBREAKER, a thunder hammer that can call down lighting and poo poo, and a power sword that might also be an artifact but I have not named yet. IDGAF that there's not rules support for that, because I don't plan to field her ever.

Also those AdMech treadmens are FANTASTIC.

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 12, 2015

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Pyrolocutus posted:

Lammo.

These guys are cool as hell and if the entire range had had this aesthetic then my financials would be in serious difficulty right now.

The spider legs from the big tanks would also have been neat on these models, and suitably freaky too.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

The Supreme Court posted:

These guys are cool as hell and if the entire range had had this aesthetic then my financials would be in serious difficulty right now.

The spider legs from the big tanks would also have been neat on these models, and suitably freaky too.

Oh man, these guys would be loving AMAZING with robospider legs. And yeah, if the whole AdMech line was this style... I'd be playing again, because drat SON.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'm looking forward to some Mutoid Man conversions from those guys.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Here are the rules in German:

Hmm, 5 points for Flammenwerfers. I like Flammenwerfers.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Pyrolocutus posted:

Yeah, gently caress, Games Workshop is a bad company and 40K is not a good game but godDAMN those are loving awesome.

Also thanks for the verification on the copyright stuff. I know this is supposed to be the positive thread but come on, that's pretty dumb and pretty bad.

But I will reiterate that the Kataphrons are loving awesome looking and I sure would like to own some.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 12, 2015

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Doesn't Cognis let you shoot Overwatch at BS 2 instead of 1? How exactly does that help you werf flammen?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It will have some sort of other bonus, presumably.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

NTRabbit posted:

I've heard of this sort of thing happening before but still lol this is really bad. Just what crackerjack law firm did Gw retain anyway?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

PantsOptional posted:

Doesn't Cognis let you shoot Overwatch at BS 2 instead of 1? How exactly does that help you werf flammen?

Presumably it's for your other, bigger gun.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I was hoping for a bit more out of those Ad Mech dudes. T5, 4+ armor, 2 wounds is just a tad too fragile for 55 points. Even if they have really good firepower. They're going to disappear rather quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

raverrn posted:

Presumably it's for your other, bigger gun.

Not really? Cognis is a weapon-specific trait and the page indicates that you replace your phosphor blaster with a cognis flamer. I'm sure it'll do something else, maybe a full d6 hits in Overwatch rather than a d3?

• Locked thread