Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

gently caress my friends are still over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

Bip Roberts posted:

So are dudes at basecamp but not climbing higher or is basecamp evacuated too?

Well EBC is a trekking destination, but those people should have left the country already. Hanging around when all resources are limited is pretty unethical.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Picnic Princess posted:

gently caress my friends are still over there.

You don't mean AT Everest, do you? Just in the country?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Ruggan posted:

You don't mean AT Everest, do you? Just in the country?

Not Everest, no, but not far away. They were in a small village in the Kathmandu valley, buying supplies and helping rebuild homes.

They just posted some photos a few hours ago because they broke the $5000 mark for fundraising.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Bip Roberts posted:

So are dudes at basecamp but not climbing higher or is basecamp evacuated too?

Just browsing a few of the expedition blogs, some were at BC at soon as a few days ago working on dismantling the camps so as not to leave a bunch of crap on the mountain. Himex was doing this just three or four days ago.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
My prediction for Everest 2017: in the wake of the now two earthquakes, sherpas are permitted by the Eurovision officials to enter Eurovision 2016 as a morale booster.

They take the 2016 contest by storm and win by a landslide (sorry).

Eurovision 2017 has to take place at the summit of Everest.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
Everest is 48.3 mi from the epicenter.

The previous quake's overlay:

It was downgraded to 7.3 and there was just a 6.3 aftershock

Meatwave fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 12, 2015

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Two earthquakes? Looks like an inside job.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

There's some big aftershocks going on, 6.3 just now.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

God is trying to figure out just how much he has to shake this poo poo stained mountain before the self-absorbed assholes go home.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Friends are safe!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

Friends are safe!

I'm glad to hear that. :unsmith:

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Chocobo posted:

Was there anyone stupid enough to have stayed on Everest? Even the sherpas should have been clear of this one shouldn't they?

"Well if we stay, we get to climb without anyone else in our way!"

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Dely Apple posted:

"Well if we stay, we get to climb without anyone else in our way!"

"And without fixes ropes and even less supplies!!"

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
"...but, but First Caucasian Male To Climb Mt. Everest During Two Earthquakes!"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Default Settings posted:

So I've heard the summit is about the size of a pool table, and imagining shaking like those CCTV videos 8.4k up on top of a pool table just made my hands sweat.

Also, if any geologists wanna chime in that'd be great: wasn't the Himalaya formed by India smashing into Asia really loving fast? Is this related?

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 12, 2015

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
has anyone told walking across America goon about the death valley Germans?

or maybe we can give search and rescue guy a heads up on his next bleached bones in the desert adventure

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Default Settings posted:

I don't get this poo poo. Go climb Mt Saint Elias in Alaska. It's like our very own K2 because it's vertical, exposed, lacking a good route or really any route, and god awful lovely weather. It was first climbed by the guy for whom K2's Abruzzi Spur is named. Then nobody else climbed it for 50 loving years.

It's not that tall (18,008 ft), so you might not get HAPE, but it's an accomplishment. Few people climbed it. You could establish a route and have it named after you. And it's a mountain you can actually see from a cruise ship and point to in your elderly life and say "I climbed that monster," as opposed to some place way off in the middle of the Himalayas.

Edit: Hey, I just discovered there's a documentary about it on Netflix.

Meatwave fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 12, 2015

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Meatwave posted:

I don't get this poo poo. Go climb Mt Saint Elias in Alaska. It's like our very own K2 because it's vertical, exposed, lacking a good route or really any route, and god awful lovely weather. It was first climbed by the guy for whom K2's Abruzzi Spur is named. Then nobody else climbed it for 50 loving years.

It's not that tall (18,008 ft), so you might not get HAPE, but it's an accomplishment. Few people climbed it. You could establish a route and have it named after you. And it's a mountain you can actually see from a cruise ship and point to in your elderly life and say "I climbed that monster," as opposed to some place way off in the middle of the Himalayas.

But it's not ~the tallest~. It's a shame these earthquakes didn't knock 800 feet off Everest, then all this garbage would end.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Wasabi the J posted:

Also, if any geologists wanna chime in that'd be great: wasn't the Himalaya formed by India smashing into Asia really loving fast? Is this related?

I'm not a geologist but yes and probably yes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Nepal_earthquake#Geology

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

So I've heard the summit is about the size of a pool table, and imagining shaking like those CCTV videos 8.4k up on top of a pool table just made my hands sweat.

I'm not a geologist, but the Himalayas are pretty young for a mountain range. One of the reasons they are, a) so jagged looking, and b) so loving tall. Give them another 20-30million years and they will look like the Alps in height.

Basically, the tops of Everest and the rest were at the bottom of the ocean when the dinosaurs died out, and for another 10-20 million years after that. India is slamming into Asia at a decent clip, but not necessarily that much faster than at other meeting points of plates. The big deal is that it is two continental plates slamming into each other instead of an oceanic plate (which is denser and likes to sink under lighter, fluffier continental plates) subducting under -- like what's happening under Japan, or Chile, or Sumatra or the Pacific Northwest and creating volcanoes. The result: The world's tallest mountains with sea shell fossils on their summits. And the world's highest plateau taking much of the impact.

efb; "I'm not a geologist"

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 12, 2015

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Chappers posted:

I'm not a geologist, but the Himalayas are pretty young for a mountain range. One of the reasons they are, a) so jagged looking, and b) so loving tall. Give them another 20-30million years and they will look like the Alps in height.

Basically, the tops of Everest and the rest were at the bottom of the ocean when the dinosaurs died out, and for another 10-20 million years after that. India is slamming into Asia at a decent clip, but not necessarily that much faster than at other meeting points of plates. The big deal is that it is two continental plates slamming into each other instead of an oceanic plate (which is denser and likes to sink under lighter, fluffier continental plates) subducting under -- like what's happening under Japan, or Chile, or Sumatra or the Pacific Northwest and creating volcanoes. The result: The world's tallest mountains with sea shell fossils on their summits. And the world's highest plateau taking much of the impact.

efb; "I'm not a geologist"

Thanks guys! As a reward, have this cool video of someone climbing up the Himalaya's bitch-maker, Kangachimichanga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC2Us0HdZBE

Less than 200 climbers have summited Kangchenjunga.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 12, 2015

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

All mountains are formed by some form plate tectonics, and in the case of the Himalayas you're exactly right, it's a collision of the Indian tectonic plate and the Eurasian plate. The earthquakes here were caused by the two plates shifting a bit. The Himalayas are very new, geologically speaking, and the two plates are constantly pushing against each other, making the area pretty seismically active. The Himalayas actually grow 5 mm a year, however erosion pretty much nullifies that.

Ape Has Killed Ape fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 12, 2015

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Edit: quote is not edit

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

Thanks guys! As a reward, have this cool video of someone climbing up the Himalaya's bitch-maker, Kangachimichanga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC2Us0HdZBE

Less than 200 climbers have summited Kangchenjunga.

That's a lot of "Sunshine."

I think Kanchenjunga, K2, Nanda Devi and Dhaulagiri were all at some point thought to be the tallest. And all four of them seem more...noble looking?

Granted, the north face of Everest looks pretty bad-rear end.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

All mountains are formed by some form plate tectonics, and in the case of the Himalayas you're exactly right, it's a collision of the Indian tectonic plate and the Eurasian plate. The earthquakes here were caused by the two plates shifting a bit. The Himalayas are very new, geologically speaking, and the two plates are constantly pushing against each other, making the area pretty seismically active. The Himalayas actually grow 5 mm a year, however erosion pretty much nullifies that.

What if they erode far enough that it reveals a giant megalodon skeleton on the summit of some lesser mountain. Would that become the new tourist trap? I think I'd rather climb Megalodon Mountain than be the 40th white guy to jack off on Everest.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Chappers posted:

That's a lot of "Sunshine."

I think Kanchenjunga, K2, Nanda Devi and Dhaulagiri were all at some point thought to be the tallest. And all four of them seem more...noble looking?

Granted, the north face of Everest looks pretty bad-rear end.

I looked up the dude and that helo rescue story deserves a look-over.

TL:DR of the story is that this lady he mentions, Cleo Weidlich, was pretty much abandoned by sherpas as she starts getting HACE on her way down. Then, this guy tries to help get her down, and the sherps start price gouging O2 and other shady poo poo. After an aborted helo rescue, she makes it a bit further down, and is found later having survived a massive slide. She almost went out like that guy at the beginning of The Summit.[/url]

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 12, 2015

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

What if they erode far enough that it reveals a giant megalodon skeleton on the summit of some lesser mountain. Would that become the new tourist trap? I think I'd rather climb Megalodon Mountain than be the 40th white guy to jack off on Everest.

I don't think you're gonna find a megalodon skeleton anywhere. However since the Himalayas are made of limestone, and limestone is made of the shells and bones of tiny marine organisms, it wouldn't be entirely inaccurate to say that part of the mountain is a fossil.

Edit: I'm pretty sure that the summit is entirely limestone. The summit of Everest is built from trillions of dead sea critters.

Ape Has Killed Ape fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 12, 2015

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

I don't think you're gonna find a megalodon skeleton anywhere. However since the Himalayas are made of limestone, and limestone is made of the shells and bones of tiny marine organisms, it wouldn't be entirely inaccurate to say that part of the mountain is a fossil.

Edit: I'm pretty sure that the summit is entirely limestone. The summit of Everest is built from trillions of dead sea critters.

Hey! Mankind is doing what it can to help

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

This has probably been asked but I don't care. Are there any good movies on caving?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Happy Hedonist posted:

This has probably been asked but I don't care. Are there any good movies on caving?

The international release of The Descent

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gorman Thomas posted:

The international release of The Descent

:agreed:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Two earthquakes? Looks like an inside job.

Earthquakes can't melt frozen seracs.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Wasabi the J posted:

Not a geologist. But... Yes.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Picnic Princess posted:

Not Everest, no, but not far away. They were in a small village in the Kathmandu valley, buying supplies and helping rebuild homes.

They just posted some photos a few hours ago because they broke the $5000 mark for fundraising.

Gimme a link to the fundraising site please.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

The summit will crumble apart, and in its stead a massive ice block will emerge.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

I am a geologist, can confirm that the earthquakes are the result of India slamming into Asia.

I'll try to keep this as short as possible. India was once part of a supercontinent called Gondwana. Gondwana, made up of South America, Africa/Arabia/Madagascar, Antarctica, Australia/New Zealand, and India, had formed around 530 million years ago and had been kind of floating around the Earth ever since. 300 million years ago, it collided with the other remaining bits of continental crust to form Pangaea.

Supercontinents are unstable. The underlying mantle wants to convect, and the ragged undersides of the continents in a supercontinent disrupt the convection enough that heat starts to build up underneath and starts pushing at the old seams where the continents assembled. About 180 million years ago, enough heat had built up that once rifting began to pull apart Pangaea, the modern continents were all moving their separate ways within 100 million years

100 million years ago, India and Madagascar broke off the southeastern side of Africa and began sailing north. The rift that separated them was particularly active, since this was one of the oldest parts of Gondwana and a lot of heat had built up underneath the supercontinent here. (Remnant heat - in the form of mantle swell - is the reason that the southern half of Africa has a relatively high average elevation) When India separated from Africa, it took off like a rocket. You had a combination of a very active rift, a light continental load, and a bunch of attached oceanic crust that was being pulled down into the mantle over a wide zone to the north. The push-pull combination yanked India north at 6 inches a year - 6 times faster than the Atlantic is opening today, and about twice as fast as the most active rift today (the East Pacific Rise) is spreading today.

So when India began colliding with Asia about 10 million years ago, it had momentum behind it. Normally, when continents collide the two come to more or less a dead stop and begin crumpling upwards. If you look at a map, the Alps and the older Appalachians and Caledonians, you'll see that they're pretty narrow ranges compared to the Himalaya. India was moving so quickly that it slammed into Asia, caused Indochina to squirt off towards the southeast, and then began to subduct into the mantle underneath Asia. Continental crust is too light to stay in the mantle, so it bobbled back up and began to push upwards, forming the Tibet Plateau. This upward pushing is part of the reason the Himalaya are so much higher than most other mountain chains.

Now to bring this back to the earthquakes. When mountain chains form, the shock ripples back through the continent, creating thrust faults. These thrust faults strip off the sedimentary rocks along a weak layer to create a sheet that slides in the opposite direction of the impact. Eventually friction on the bottom of the thrust sheet gets too much for it to slide anymore, and a new sheet breaks off underneath and begins to slide.

I know that's hard to visualize, so here's an analog experiment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L-6WIvVikI

So for a couple hundred miles south of the Himalaya range front, you have a series of parallel faults running east-west. These are what create the valleys of Nepal, and more faults are present in northern India. Each of these is capable of moving as long as the Himalaya are pushing on them. One of these ruptured a couple weeks ago, that destabilized the deck of cards and now they're trying to get back to a relatively stable position. Today's earthquake was on the next fault north of the one a couple weeks ago, which is probably why it was bigger than most of the aftershocks they've been experiencing so far - that fault had more energy to release than the one to the south.

So yeah, I hope that helps clarify what's going on here.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

dj_clawson posted:

Gimme a link to the fundraising site please.

It's just through their personal e-mails. And I don't know if new GBS can be trusted so I'm reluctant to post them.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Picnic Princess posted:

It's just through their personal e-mails. And I don't know if new GBS can be trusted so I'm reluctant to post them.

Fair enough. Here's one for everybody else that is through someone I know:

https://www.facebook.com/KopanNunneryHealthandNutritionFund?fref=ts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Geology is cool as gently caress tell us more

• Locked thread