Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arzachel
May 12, 2012

haris pilton posted:

I upped the deadzone a notch.
Godspeed to you, sir.

On a controller, try low/no deadzone with low sensitivity.

Also, you fucks are making me want this and the new Dirt too. I don't have money or even a proper desk :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I just found that you can adjust the wastegate pressure for turbocharged cars. This made the Lotus 98T go from "undrivable" in the wet to "terrifying, but doable."

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

redwalrus posted:

While it can sometimes be amusing, there is no way he really finds it that hysterical, I guess when you have to act on camera for kids that would rather watch games...
Guy was annoying, but the pile up about a minute in is a quality pile up.

Kind of reminded me of my Formula A testing when I was messing around a couple days ago: I was right on an AI's rear coming up to a turn I knew could be done with fairly little braking. Apparently the AI disagreed and went hard on the brakes real early. I rear ended him hard and before I could react he'd gone up my front aerodynamics and over the top of my driver's head, leaving me with a clear road ahead to continue into the corner. The strangest thing was, even with full damage, my car was still in pretty good shape (just a slight pull to one side, which seems to happen if you make pretty much any contact with Formula A's to a car or otherwise).

Arzachel posted:

Also, you fucks are making me want this and the new Dirt too. I don't have money or even a proper desk :(
Neither is a bad choice. Money seems like a meaningful problem; proper desk not so much since you'll be playing with a controller or wheel. :shrug:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

bUm posted:

Guy was annoying, but the pile up about a minute in is a quality pile up.

Kind of reminded me of my Formula A testing when I was messing around a couple days ago: I was right on an AI's rear coming up to a turn I knew could be done with fairly little braking. Apparently the AI disagreed and went hard on the brakes real early. I rear ended him hard and before I could react he'd gone up my front aerodynamics and over the top of my driver's head, leaving me with a clear road ahead to continue into the corner. The strangest thing was, even with full damage, my car was still in pretty good shape (just a slight pull to one side, which seems to happen if you make pretty much any contact with Formula A's to a car or otherwise).

Neither is a bad choice. Money seems like a meaningful problem; proper desk not so much since you'll be playing with a controller or wheel. :shrug:

The desk is for mounting the wheel, unless you can afford a sim cockpit thingy too.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
You could get one of those wheel stands from Fanatec. I've got one and they work great.

http://www.fanatec.com/us-en/wheel-stands-table-clamps/csl-wheel-stand-us.html

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

My new pedals came and the guy put so much packing peanuts into the box they got inside the pedal casing where the holes are for them to depress. What a loving bitch to clean out that was. I still didn't get them all.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You could get one of those wheel stands from Fanatec. I've got one and they work great.

OTOH, they used the term "Germaneering".

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Where's the the steering rack ratio? I stumbled upon it the first day only to never see it again.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

simosimo posted:

He was amazed at regular pc sim stuff such as starting as starting in the pits. I'd imagine there are a lot of racing fans who simply haven't played pc sims who are going to have a field day.
Pisses me off that pit driving got automated. Much more fun to enter and exit the pits yourself. But alas...

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Pisses me off that pit driving got automated. Much more fun to enter and exit the pits yourself. But alas...

I pitted the other day and it never gave me control back. Was on Monaco in F1. I let it run as I was in last place and it finished 2nd.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Bigsteve posted:

I pitted the other day and it never gave me control back. Was on Monaco in F1. I let it run as I was in last place and it finished 2nd.

Were you at pit speed the entire time or did it just turn into a regular AI and drive around the track at race speed?

tomaski
Jul 24, 2007

"We're going to have a strange life."
Holy moly. That supercharged Atom is an exercise in frustration. Apart from that this game is the best thing I've played in ages.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

Bigsteve posted:

Did you hit the 'change driver' option by accident when pitting? That's exactly what it does, lets an AI driver take over from you.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Aishan posted:

Did you hit the 'change driver' option by accident when pitting? That's exactly what it does, lets an AI driver take over from you.

That's a thing? Holy crap, I guess that explains how they have the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
When you do the endurance races does it let you save your progress and come back to it or does it have to be one continuous session?

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Wonder if this would work fine for the g27. Cannot recall if it has mounting holes.

Also, need to make some bad decisions and buy one of their wheels. Anyone have some good suggestions?

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

Jeesis posted:

Wonder if this would work fine for the g27. Cannot recall if it has mounting holes.

Also, need to make some bad decisions and buy one of their wheels. Anyone have some good suggestions?

Can confirm it works with the g27. I definately preferred using the stand compared to mounting the wheel to the table every time I wanted to use it.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I just got my G27 and I seem to have a tendency to pull on the wheel towards me and off my table. One of those would be nice.

I have nothing to compare this force feedback too other than Forza 4 and the lovely MS wheel. Also: I am terrible at this game don't include me haha.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

This game sure is pretty http://gfycat.com/RadiantNervousDikkops

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Norns posted:

Spent some time with

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22938-Jack-Spade-FFB-Tweaker-Files

Using the iRacing wheel check tool I found my deadzone for my G27 needed to be set to .16, then I started using the Fy+SopLateral Mix files listed in that post.

I was pleased before, but holy gently caress, feels like a different game now.

I'd recommend giving them a try if you're playing with a wheel.

Quoting myself for the dudes with new wheels.

My G27 feels great with these settings. Also, someone exported the settings so you can manually plug them into the console versions too.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
I do like the fake twitter sometimes. "That was touch and go there, but [name] brought home the win!" After winning the race by lapping every single other competitor. Yep, real close there.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Aishan posted:

I do like the fake twitter sometimes. "That was touch and go there, but [name] brought home the win!" After winning the race by lapping every single other competitor. Yep, real close there.

"I had to rewind some of his passes"

*starts on pole, never loses P1.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I like it when I am in first place and I get told to take them on the inside

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Who doesn't disable music and pit radio the first thing after installing PCARS? Or any race game?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

peter gabriel posted:

I like it when I am in first place and I get told to take them on the inside

Gotta stay sharp!

As a PS4 North American Human, I am eagerly awaiting the chance to see how terrible a driver I am!

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Yep, FFB needs tweaking a lot for sure. I don't feel rumble strips at all, and while I had some FFB with the karts, going to a Ford Focus brought my wheel intensity to 0.

Gonna try that linked stuff.

edit: still kinda meh?

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 12, 2015

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I have to say that out of all the new-to-me tracks in this game Donnington Park is probably my favorite.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

LiquidRain posted:

Yep, FFB needs tweaking a lot for sure. I don't feel rumble strips at all, and while I had some FFB with the karts, going to a Ford Focus brought my wheel intensity to 0.

Gonna try that linked stuff.

Read over the post. There's some other stuff you'll want to tweak. Like the wheel rotational lock (so cars have proper wheel turning radius)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I don't have much time to play but I have to say I am really enjoying it when I do

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Norns posted:

Read over the post. There's some other stuff you'll want to tweak. Like the wheel rotational lock (so cars have proper wheel turning radius)
I don't see that part. :( He says "People who prefer Soft FFB Lock change the line in the files like this: <value DisableLockSpring="false" /> (FFB lock for each car's certain degrees of rotation)" - do I need to do that for each XML file?!

"Previous wheel preset terms like, Relative Gain, Scoop, Tighten Center, Soft Clip, Base Drag - is old stuff and donīt work."

2 lines later: "Useful setting for G25/27 and similar range of wheels: Scoop Knee = 70, Scoop Reduction = 15

:suicide:

The only car I've tried where I've felt the FFB was understandable was the Caterham 7 Classic. Every other car/kart i just don't get any valuable info out of the FFB. Help. :(

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
But seriously where the heck do I adjust steering rack ratio?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

LiquidRain posted:

I don't see that part. :( He says "People who prefer Soft FFB Lock change the line in the files like this: <value DisableLockSpring="false" /> (FFB lock for each car's certain degrees of rotation)" - do I need to do that for each XML file?!

"Previous wheel preset terms like, Relative Gain, Scoop, Tighten Center, Soft Clip, Base Drag - is old stuff and donīt work."

2 lines later: "Useful setting for G25/27 and similar range of wheels: Scoop Knee = 70, Scoop Reduction = 15

The only car I've tried where I've felt the FFB was understandable was the Caterham 7 Classic. Every other car/kart i just don't get any valuable info out of the FFB. Help. :(

Where he says the presets don't work he's referring to setting those presets within the ffb xml files. In older builds it worked to set them from the files but now you need to set those in the ffb calibration menu in game. I know it's not really very clear.

Yes you do need to change those settings for every file but if you get notepad++ (I think it's free) you can do a find and replace to a whole folder at once and it only takes a few seconds to do.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 12, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Just found it. The UI for tuning is awful. There's about 4 other menus buried by a small mouse click only arrow.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

LiquidRain posted:

"Previous wheel preset terms like, Relative Gain, Scoop, Tighten Center, Soft Clip, Base Drag - is old stuff and don´t work."

Yes you need to change it for every car if you prefer it that way (I do)

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Just found it. The UI for tuning is awful. There's about 4 other menus buried by a small mouse click only arrow.

Yeah, that could use some work. Like, maybe, a list of tuning categories instead of having to manually go through every single page.

That said, are usual tuning results noticeable? Or is it just "Set it this way to perform better under THESE conditions"?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I changed my assist from all to real since I was feeling things were a little easy and the next race I failed to put in a valid qualifying lap and blew my engine in the race. This might take some time.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005
Im finding calibrating your wheel at the start of a session by turning it to from lock to the other lock seems to help the game realize what the hell its doing with FFB.

In other news I just posted 11th place on the leaderboards in 125 cc karts on dubai and chesterfield, and 6th place in glencarin and sumerton, im AlgebraFrenzy on the boards. We need to get some goon karting going on.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

SanitysEdge posted:

Im finding calibrating your wheel at the start of a session by turning it to from lock to the other lock seems to help the game realize what the hell its doing with FFB.

In other news I just posted 11th place on the leaderboards in 125 cc karts on dubai and chesterfield, and 6th place in glencarin and sumerton, im AlgebraFrenzy on the boards. We need to get some goon karting going on.

yall need to be breaking my hockenheim gp in the superkart tia.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

"lmao a 9.9 degree caster angle? don't make me laugh, let's tweak that to 11 degrees and reduce slow bump to 1500 N/m/s" - me pretending this screen makes any sense

I guess that kind of thing is amazing for people way into the sim stuff though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

It's actually amazingly simple to understand if you read up on what camber/caster, stop bumps and springs all mean. Learning how to tweak the car to match your style of driving will also shave a good 2-3 seconds off the best of laptimes with default setups.

Also don't forget to reduce fuel when you race. For some reason the game defaults you to a full tank every time.

• Locked thread