Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Alder posted:

So I rented a apt room and 2 weeks later I find out that the toilet always is running/breaks occasionally. I've figured out the problem (thanks internet) can I compel the landlord to fix it? She tells me she will make me pay for it if the toilet breaks completely. I have no contract other than receipt for 2 months of rent (including deposit).

I want to say no but what do you think SA?
How expensive is it to fix? Because you can buy every part of a toilet except the porcelain for $20 and do it yourself in a half hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

So I rented a apt room and 2 weeks later I find out that the toilet always is running/breaks occasionally. I've figured out the problem (thanks internet) can I compel the landlord to fix it? She tells me she will make me pay for it if the toilet breaks completely. I have no contract other than receipt for 2 months of rent (including deposit).

I want to say no but what do you think SA?

where do you live, and what kind of landlord refuses to fix a toilet?

Like, what landlord says, "Nah, I don't want to spend $50 - I'd rather get poop all over my most expensive asset, risk permanent damage, and hope some broke-dick 20something will take care of it."

I don't mean to imply that you are the broke-dick, I just mean in general.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Rent-A-Cop posted:

How expensive is it to fix? Because you can buy every part of a toilet except the porcelain for $20 and do it yourself in a half hour.

Yeah, toilets are like the scrambled eggs of home-repair world.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
what state are you in

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blarzgh posted:

Like, what landlord says, "Nah, I don't want to spend $50 - I'd rather get poop all over my most expensive asset, risk permanent damage, and hope some broke-dick 20something will take care of it."

I don't mean to imply that you are the broke-dick, I just mean in general.

I have to think that even in the third world fixing toilets is one of those things on ”the landlord must do” list. poo poo, even in Texas, maybe.

Edit: If you are month to month, just loving move. Imagine what a pain in the rear end this lady will be when something like the heater breaks.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I estimate a new chain thing will be approx $20 if I walk to the nearest home depot.

blarzgh posted:

FLushing, NYC and it's $750/month. I realized that this may have not been a good place as parts of the apt seem to be neglected. Sometimes the stove fails to work too :coffee:

It's not completely broken well not until today that is as the rusty chain is now a broken chain :v:

Alder fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 11, 2015

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Isn't Flushing Meadows just like this?. Should be easy enough to get a working toilet without having to sue your landlady over it.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pro tip: You can replace that broken chain wIth a chain made of paperclips.

Things I learned in grad school.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I think you should do this and loving move. Jesus, what a scumbag of a landlord.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

sullat posted:

Isn't Flushing Meadows just like this?. Should be easy enough to get a working toilet without having to sue your landlady over it.

Eh, first time renting a room off-campus so I figured I might as well check here jic I run into any problems. Reminds me, I don't see a fire alarm anywhere :colbert:

I swear I asked all the questions in the OP for thread for moving out: Is there anything I should know about wrt to utilities?

landlord: no

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Hmm---interesting. I don't have any paper clips but saved for future reference.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Alder posted:

Eh, first time renting a room off-campus so I figured I might as well check here jic I run into any problems. Reminds me, I don't see a fire alarm anywhere :colbert:

I swear I asked all the questions in the OP for thread for moving out: Is there anything I should know about wrt to utilities?

landlord: no

Hmm---interesting. I don't have any paper clips but saved for future reference.

Are you drunk? It's like you're starting a statement trying to explain something, but you stop just short of completing a thought.

Were you expecting the landlord to say "The oven and toilet are broken" when you asked about utilities? Did you actually tell the landlord the toilet is running?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Devor posted:

Are you drunk? It's like you're starting a statement trying to explain something, but you stop just short of completing a thought.

Were you expecting the landlord to say "The oven and toilet are broken" when you asked about utilities? Did you actually tell the landlord the toilet is running?

No but I am tired. Yes I've asked her to fix it eventually. It's just aren't these noticeable problems and life is disappointing.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

legal advice: life is disappointing.

Pretty accurate summation.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Alder posted:

I estimate a new chain thing will be approx $20 if I walk to the nearest home depot.

No, whoever said you could rebuild the internals of a toilet for $20 was right.

Try $5 for a flapper with a chain: http://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing...rtialmax&NCNI-5

$20 for a full kit to replace everything: http://www.homedepot.com/s/toilet%2520repair%2520kit?NCNI-5

I think you won't even need a single tool to replace the flapper and chain. I'm pretty sure that a functioning toilet is required for an apartment to be considered habitable in New York. You might be within your rights to deduct the cost of the repair from your rent bill, but your landlord sounds like a dick who will cause you a lot of trouble over five dollars.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

nm posted:

I have to think that even in the third world fixing toilets is one of those things on ”the landlord must do” list. poo poo, even in Texas, maybe.

Edit: If you are month to month, just loving move. Imagine what a pain in the rear end this lady will be when something like the heater breaks.

It can kind of depend on where you live. My apartment currently has a stipulation in it that the tenant must pay for all plumbing fixes. I have no idea if that's actually legal or not but it's in there. Nothing has broken so far.

It's also possible that the landlord gives no shits about the building and is waiting for it to get condemned and just wants to squeeze a few more dollars out of it. I live in a college town and you have no idea how badly some of these buildings are in disrepair but they're cheap and full of idiot teenagers that don't know any better so they get rented. Sometimes they get rented looooooong beyond what should be considered livable. Where I'm originally from there are rows and rows of decaying slums full of people who have nowhere else to go so nothing gets reported, ever, even though some of the houses are literally falling in. Some landlords are profound shitheads.

Other times the attitude is "if I bitch hard enough and ignore it long enough they'll fix it themselves to get it taken care of and I'll get free work done!"

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

legal advice: life is disappointing.

Pretty accurate summation.

Well, time to close this thread then :v:

DNova posted:

You might be within your rights to deduct the cost of the repair from your rent bill, but your landlord sounds like a dick who will cause you a lot of trouble over five dollars.

Cheers even better as $5 is a improvement over $20. Lesson learned landlords are even worse in person.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
So a bad thing happened. My car was stolen.

This isn't really the end of the world as the car wasn't worth that much, but it was my mode of transportation to work and I can't afford another vehicle. I live about 90 minutes by biking and a knee problem might hamper my ability to actually make that trek.

Beyond my inability to get to work, I'm honestly somewhat terrified of living here. It's a gated community, but apparently not gated enough for some to just walk in, grab a vehicle and leave. The more I think about it, the less I want to be here and the more I want to move.

To that end, can I use this as grounds to break my lease on my apartment? Is there a way to legally do that and move to some place where I'm both closer to work such that I can actually bike there, and not have to worry about someone just taking stuff with no recourse? This is in California.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 12, 2015

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

No, you can't break your lease because your car got stolen. Sorry your car got stolen - poo poo sucks, get a new one.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Kalman is right.

But never under estimate just going in and asking if they'll release your because your don't feel safe. They'll probably say no, but at least you tried.

Also, why are you under the delusion that a gated apartment complex keeps your car from being stolen. If someone wants it, the gates aren't going to stop them. Upgrade to a house our apartment with a garage if you're that worried.

Life is disappointing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

About half the time I deal with these issues the land lord will allow an early breach with some reasonable conditions.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I got out of an lease once for absolutely no reason whatsoever just by asking. I wa slike, "hey, my lease is up in a few months but I want to move out early to take advantage of a rent special on this other place" and they were like "ok"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah if LL wants to raise the rent, they may be down for you leaving.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

How do I stop only parent from calling the police for no reason every time I disagree with them? I don't live at home and they already have a RO but continue to follow/stalk me.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

So a bad thing happened. My car was stolen.

This isn't really the end of the world as the car wasn't worth that much, but it was my mode of transportation to work and I can't afford another vehicle. I live about 90 minutes by biking and a knee problem might hamper my ability to actually make that trek.

Beyond my inability to get to work, I'm honestly somewhat terrified of living here. It's a gated community, but apparently not gated enough for some to just walk in, grab a vehicle and leave. The more I think about it, the less I want to be here and the more I want to move.

To that end, can I use this as grounds to break my lease on my apartment? Is there a way to legally do that and move to some place where I'm both closer to work such that I can actually bike there, and not have to worry about someone just taking stuff with no recourse? This is in California.

Are you positive it wasn't towed?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Are you positive it wasn't towed?

Yeah, I called the landlord before filing a stolen vehicle to confirm they didn't tow it for some reason. I also called the local police's traffic unit to check if it showed up as a 'towed' in their system and no dice either way. Is there someone else I should be calling? I'm pretty stupid to this entire experience, so if I messed up, I'd love to know about it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Yeah, I called the landlord before filing a stolen vehicle to confirm they didn't tow it for some reason. I also called the local police's traffic unit to check if it showed up as a 'towed' in their system and no dice either way. Is there someone else I should be calling? I'm pretty stupid to this entire experience, so if I messed up, I'd love to know about it.

If you're in a gated community, there is a probably an HOA or Condo Association that has responsibility for enforcing parking issues. You could try asking them if they had it towed. You can also ask what towing company they use, and ask the towing company too (in case they don't automatically report that out to the police).

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Alder posted:

How do I stop only parent from calling the police for no reason every time I disagree with them? I don't live at home and they already have a RO but continue to follow/stalk me.

Call the police on a non-emergency line, tell them what your parent if doing and have them tell them to stop.

Otherwise, break all contact with your parent, change your Phone number if you have to, but do not put yourself in a situation where you are near them. The only contact you should have with them, would be them coming to where you live, and knocking on the door. If they do that, do not say anything to them, and call the police. Do not be afraid to let them spend the night in jail if they cannot learn to leave you alone.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

If you have a restraining order, how are they disagreeing with you, since you aren't interacting with them?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Anora posted:

Call the police on a non-emergency line, tell them what your parent if doing and have them tell them to stop.

Otherwise, break all contact with your parent, change your Phone number if you have to, but do not put yourself in a situation where you are near them. The only contact you should have with them, would be them coming to where you live, and knocking on the door. If they do that, do not say anything to them, and call the police. Do not be afraid to let them spend the night in jail if they cannot learn to leave you alone.

Thank you. I didn't know that I could call police on a non-emergency line and tell them the situation. A part of me thought they'd stop and most online resources on DV are between partners/spouse not family.

Thanatosian posted:

If you have a restraining order, how are they disagreeing with you, since you aren't interacting with them?

They showed up while I was sleeping at my grandparent's house. Yeah.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Some friends are considering trying to make some unconventional housing, either short-term or long-term, and they're interested in the right kind of attorney to ask for assistance. It's kind of in the same vein as using shipping containers, as I understand it they're concerned about permitting and things like that. Is this just a standard real estate attorney?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Cut off all contact if that's what you want. They're probably not doing anything illegal, and when if they are, irs difficult to get the police to do anything if they don't want to. It may be by the books stalking/harassment, but if that particular cop doesn't see it that way (she's just worried about her son!), then you won't get any results.

Calling on the non emergency line is good, but your best bet is to not depend on the police to protect you from this type of conduct.

If you have to remain at your grandparents house for financial/other reasons, then you need them on board too.

Sorry none of this is really legal advice, just remember that cops have wide latitude in situations that are merely upsetting, and it largely depends on the individual cop.

Life is disappointing.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Oddhair posted:

Some friends are considering trying to make some unconventional housing, either short-term or long-term, and they're interested in the right kind of attorney to ask for assistance. It's kind of in the same vein as using shipping containers, as I understand it they're concerned about permitting and things like that. Is this just a standard real estate attorney?

This is a civil/structural engineer with experience in your local planning and zoning process. You probably won't need an attorney, at least to start off with.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Cut off all contact if that's what you want. They're probably not doing anything illegal, and when if they are, irs difficult to get the police to do anything if they don't want to. It may be by the books stalking/harassment, but if that particular cop doesn't see it that way (she's just worried about her son!), then you won't get any results.

Calling on the non emergency line is good, but your best bet is to not depend on the police to protect you from this type of conduct.

If you have to remain at your grandparents house for financial/other reasons, then you need them on board too.

Sorry none of this is really legal advice, just remember that cops have wide latitude in situations that are merely upsetting, and it largely depends on the individual cop.

Life is disappointing.

Since then I've moved out of there as now I rented another location but most of the questions is a jic part things start getting insane again. Actually the police/everyone I've spoken to think she has issues but trying to figure out how to deal with it in the most "official" way possible so no repeat incidents.

Yes and I feel like disappointment is my new default emotion replacing tired.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Oddhair posted:

I'm a structural engineer! Building codes in the US are all local to some degree or another, so the exact answer will vary. For anything other than conventional wood framed residential construction or certain types of manufactured items intended for occupancy you're going to need an engineer on board (and/or an architect depending on exactly what you're doing).

Also, assuming what you're thinking of doing can reasonably be determined to meet the general intent of the code, this sort of thing can vary from really straightforward to basically impossible depending on how your local building department decides to handle it.

My first step would be to call the building department, explain what you're trying to do, and ask them what you need to do to satisfy them.

Then find a local structural engineer that works for themselves or in a company that has less than about ten employees and have a conversation about how you can accomplish what you're trying to do. Might have to call a few to find someone that seems really on board with what you're doing.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

Invite them to use your toilet.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Oddhair posted:

You doomsday prepper friends should not need an attorney. See the answers above

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Oddhair posted:

Live in an unincorporated area of a rural county in a flyover state.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

joat mon posted:

Live in an unincorporated area of a rural county in a flyover state.

No one will have jurisdiction to tell you to take it down; assuming they do have jurisdiction, they may not care. Good advice

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Quick question about Massachusetts traffic law, if anyone knows anything about that.

I got in an accident today on an on-ramp to a state highway that is of course marked with a yield sign. The highway itself was clear of vehicles at the time I approached the merge. There was a car ahead of me with open road ahead of them so as I slowed down approaching the merge, I glanced to my left to check my blindspot for oncoming traffic. As I turned back, the car ahead of me was almost completely stopped at least 50-100ft from the merge point directly ahead of me. As you can imagine, I immediately applied full brake force and spun the wheel to the right to avoid contact, but I clipped the rear right side with my left front as I did so. I had been traveling maybe ~15mph and was most likely going slower at the point of impact thanks to that second of brake-slamming.

The damage isn't anywhere close to severe and my car has more damage than the one that was in front of me. Massachusetts General Law for highway (throughway) traffic states that you must stop and yield to oncoming traffic, but also states in another chapter that unsafely stopping on a throughway is a traffic violation. In this case - a clear, dry day with no traffic - is the driver ahead of me at more fault than they would be for a usual rear-end for unsafely stopping on the on-ramp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

you're in luck: blarzgh is a literal traffic lawyer.