Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

axolotl farmer posted:

I got a really dumb question :downs:

How do I find out which mod created an item, and what it's for?

I found a 'Cracked Skull' in a cave that was lootable, and found a 'Long Lost Key' inside. It's most certainly put there by Legacy of the Dragonborn, but I don't have any more clues.
You can install Mfg Console to find out where an object or NPC came from. Open the console and select the object for added info.

In this case, it's indeed from Legacy of the Dragonborn, and you use the key by jumping down the big central pit in the cave and searching the water below for a locked chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Nerd Of Prey posted:

The Data folder exists to be hosed with, so it seems silly to me to avoid touching it. Anything you do to it can be undone just as easily.

Did you memorize the complete directory structure so you can tell just by looking at each file whether it is vanilla or a mod, and if so, which mod? Do you look at the original archive file and then use that to determine what files a mod provided? Or is this all printed out and stored in a file cabinet?

I think at this point if MO magically vanished from the world, I'd feel more like writing my own version than rummaging around in the Skyrim data directory tree. Philosophically, it's a lot cleaner to me to maintain a list of possible changes to the original and be able to turn those on and off than it is to just toss it all in the same place and trust myself to accurately remember what files a mod adds or changes.

I fully get wanting to point out alternatives to what's presented as the only sane option, but honestly, your way sounds like a lot of work. That doesn't sound like automatic vs manual, it sounds like automatic vs it's Wednesday, let's rebuild the transmission for fun. I respect the knowledge that lets you comfortably do that, but I'd much rather spend my time driving the car.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
This is the Skyrim modding thread. All we do is rebuild the transmission for fun.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

modorganizer is easy and if you cant figure it out you should go back to your 360 copy of the game. later chumps

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Are there any good mods that make finding word walls more sensical, or that add hints on where specific words are in-game? Stupid Greybeards give you a random wall, and you have to trudge all the way up and down their mountain in a really annoying bit of impractical fast travel spam.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
I would like recommendations for some survival and difficulty mods. I've got a treadmill desk and plan to "walk across skyrim" and also the 7000 steps and such while also on the treadmill. But to make it more interesting, I want to add some difficulty. I've added more wildlife, bandits, and dragons with mods. I haven't tried Frostfall before, but I did install it. Any other suggestions for stuff like that?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Dohaeris posted:

I would like recommendations for some survival and difficulty mods. I've got a treadmill desk and plan to "walk across skyrim" and also the 7000 steps and such while also on the treadmill. But to make it more interesting, I want to add some difficulty. I've added more wildlife, bandits, and dragons with mods. I haven't tried Frostfall before, but I did install it. Any other suggestions for stuff like that?

iNeed or Realistic Needs and Diseases. Maybe Hunterborn?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

iNeed or Realistic Needs and Diseases. Maybe Hunterborn?

Im using Frostfall, iNeed, and Hunterborn. RND seems bloated to me.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I used RND on a prior run, I liked its features but some of them were pretty annoying. About the only major thing I would miss from RND if I switched to iNeed (which I plan to) is the ability to get water from any body of water but that feature seems to involve a lot of compatibility issues.

One thing I am looking forward to is Last Seed, Chesko's long-awaited take on the needs mod.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't last seed supposed to be a sort of farming mod? Frostfall is pretty good and being able to set up some kind of camp in a cave would be quite nice.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Isn't last seed supposed to be a sort of farming mod?

Well, the official page describes it as a "Primary Needs, Wellness, Survival" mod: http://skyrimsurvival.com/home/last-seed/

In the past he's described it as a "hunger/thirst/sleep mod": https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/2neekc/last_seed_my_hunger_thirst_sleep_mod_is_underway/

I think the name is just taken from the name of a month in the Elder Scrolls calendar, like Frostfall, but it does sound like a farming simulator. Which makes me wonder, is there a mod that lets you play a farming simulator/minigame?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
You mean Hearthfire?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Harvest Moon: Friends of Whiterun

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Isn't last seed supposed to be a sort of farming mod? Frostfall is pretty good and being able to set up some kind of camp in a cave would be quite nice.

Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but this mod adds a bunch of small caves and hideouts that play really well with Frostfall and other survival mods.

Mazzletoff
Dec 17, 2012

wake me up
before you jojo

Dohaeris posted:

Depends on what you want, dude. ERSO is modular and can turn the game into something really interesting if you mix it in with Morrowloot, so I usually recommend it because it can run alongside SPERG. Here's a decent list of stuff for hardcore play:

• ERSO + SPERG for modular. OR Requiem for one big fat download. NOTE: Don't use the ERSO "Slower Skill Leveling". It breaks every SPERG tree.
  • Duel - Combat Realism.
  • Sands of Time - Way of the Dovahkiin.
  • iNeeds
  • Frostfall

However, these mods are really script heavy. I'd strongly recommend against adding stuff like Wyrmstooth or Falskaar to this because the people who made those are enormous idiots who just shove 4k uncompressed textures and scripts all over their mods in a really shoddy manner.

Also, turn OFF the Sands of Time Bleak Falls Barrow stuff. It turns a basic dungeon into a hellish landscape from which there is no escape, as you fight off hordes of high level Draugr.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

GunnerJ posted:

This is the Skyrim modding thread. All we do is rebuild the transmission for fun.

Perhaps, but not using MO is like doing this without power tools.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Is there a way I can make different distinct ASIS esps? I use a lot of different profiles on Mod Organizer and it's kind of annoying to have to redo the patch every time I want to change an animation or remove a single piece of equipment or whatever.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Just install(the mod itself to mod organizer) it several times under different names befitting the profile. ASIS Profile 1 etc. As long as you don't enable more than one at the same time it'll work fine.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Gorgar posted:

Did you memorize the complete directory structure so you can tell just by looking at each file whether it is vanilla or a mod, and if so, which mod? Do you look at the original archive file and then use that to determine what files a mod provided? Or is this all printed out and stored in a file cabinet?

I think at this point if MO magically vanished from the world, I'd feel more like writing my own version than rummaging around in the Skyrim data directory tree. Philosophically, it's a lot cleaner to me to maintain a list of possible changes to the original and be able to turn those on and off than it is to just toss it all in the same place and trust myself to accurately remember what files a mod adds or changes.

I fully get wanting to point out alternatives to what's presented as the only sane option, but honestly, your way sounds like a lot of work. That doesn't sound like automatic vs manual, it sounds like automatic vs it's Wednesday, let's rebuild the transmission for fun. I respect the knowledge that lets you comfortably do that, but I'd much rather spend my time driving the car.

Ugh, I don't really want to drag this out forever, but the short answer is yes, I know what the files are.

It's actually not complicated. They tend to be clearly labeled. Most actual overwrites are just models or textures, which don't have a lot of game-breaking potential.

I have literally never had a case of a mystery file of unknown origin causing a problem!

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
You only really need MO if you insist on installing conflicting mods. For everyone else, NMM is more than adequate if you read a file's description before installing.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Nerd Of Prey posted:

It's actually not complicated.
Yeah, it's not complicated. Completely true. That's not the point though. MO makes handling conflicts or switching out mod-instals (for either diferent playthroughs or developing mods) easy and fast.
If you want to use NMM or whatever else, feel free to do so. Unlike what you seem to think no one is "bullying" anyone into using MO. It's just that it's in terms of functionality simply the best tool for the job, which is why people are constantly recommending it.

That said: I haven't looked at NMM in years. So maybe they actually made it into a decent tool now. I don't know.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Raygereio posted:

Yeah, it's not complicated. Completely true. That's not the point though. MO makes handling conflicts or switching out mod-instals (for either diferent playthroughs or developing mods) easy and fast.
If you want to use NMM or whatever else, feel free to do so. Unlike what you seem to think no one is "bullying" anyone into using MO. It's just that it's in terms of functionality simply the best tool for the job, which is why people are constantly recommending it.

That said: I haven't looked at NMM in years. So maybe they actually made it into a decent tool now. I don't know.

NMM is still about the same as far as I can tell. MO doesn't work for New Vegas for me for whatever reason. NMM is certainly adequate but MO is leaps and bounds better and it just makes sense to use it since both are free and require minimal effort to find and use.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:
I've been having some very frustrating issues with Skyrim completely freezing at two areas in the game. It happens outside of Windhelm in the middle of the bridge or if I try to swim in the same spot, and most recently in Kynesgrove on the hill on the way to meet Delphine.

The game does not crash to desktop but instead just freezes with the sound still playing in the background and I can only get out via ctrlaltdel.

My mod load order is as follows:

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch
Dawnguard.esm
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch
Hearthfires.esm
Unofficial Hearthfires Patch
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch
SKSE
SkyUI
A quality world map
Better Dialogue Controls

I've so far updated graphics drivers, lowered graphics settings but nothing so far has worked. I'm level 30 with 49 hours of gameplay and everywhere else I've been in the game works fine but these two issues are driving me insane and the lack of getting up to Kynesgrove is not allowing me to start a quest.

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

Mr Pepper posted:

I've been having some very frustrating issues with Skyrim completely freezing at two areas in the game. It happens outside of Windhelm in the middle of the bridge or if I try to swim in the same spot, and most recently in Kynesgrove on the hill on the way to meet Delphine.

The game does not crash to desktop but instead just freezes with the sound still playing in the background and I can only get out via ctrlaltdel.

My mod load order is as follows:

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch
Dawnguard.esm
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch
Hearthfires.esm
Unofficial Hearthfires Patch
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch
SKSE
SkyUI
A quality world map
Better Dialogue Controls

I've so far updated graphics drivers, lowered graphics settings but nothing so far has worked. I'm level 30 with 49 hours of gameplay and everywhere else I've been in the game works fine but these two issues are driving me insane and the lack of getting up to Kynesgrove is not allowing me to start a quest.

Several months ago I started having very similar issues. After doing, basically, everything short of an os reinstall and not getting anywhere... It turned out that cleaning out my tower and reseating both my gpu and ram was what finally fixed it.
YMMV.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Just a crosspost from the Awful/Awesome Mods thread:

FutonForensic posted:

New Novajam video. If you're going to skip to any part, skip to 7:17.

I actually tried this one out a while ago because I was upset at the lack of quests for the Dunmer ghetto in Windhelm, but it was really bad and it made my game crash on fast travel. Does anyone know any good quest mods dealing with that same area?

Edit: To be clear, I'm talking about "Telvanni Hall".

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 13, 2015

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Are there any good mods out there that allow you to progress through the Thieve's Guild questline without pledging your eternal soul to guarding a dank cave? That detail just ruins it for me. Even something as simple as an edit of the dialogue would work.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What vampire mods do I need to make the vampire experience as close to Vampire masquerade bloodlines as possible?

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Better Vampires. Theres even an optional blood point management feature.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
What's the go to mod for being able to kill those little stormcloak/legion encampment leaders? http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/11062/ seems to fit the bill. Any reason you'd want those guys alive?

Gonna give that Way of the Dovakiin Sands of Time mod a shot. Random encounters and shenanigans is one of the best parts of this game. Also installed iNeed, Frostfall, and quite a few other things, so thanks for the suggestions!

edit: While I'm at it, using Mod Organizer and XCE and CBBE. How do I use the TexBlend thing to kill the neck seams? edit 2: Think I figured out XCE and CBBE. Had to add the CBBE heads with the bodies, then install XCE, then run the blender and it finally worked.

Dohaeris fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 14, 2015

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

As I've mentioned, I'm now working on an "actual" - one with dungeons, quests, and all that jazz. I was wondering if any of the folks in this thread with blender experience would be willing to do a few custom weapons for me, mostly mashed together out of vanilla nifs. I can do retextures, but blender escapes me.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Dohaeris posted:

What's the go to mod for being able to kill those little stormcloak/legion encampment leaders? http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/11062/ seems to fit the bill. Any reason you'd want those guys alive?

Well, hostile essentials out in the middle of nowhere that you won't rack up bounties for attacking are pretty nice for grinding your weapon skills, if you're into that sort of thing.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

Eric the Mauve posted:

Well, hostile essentials out in the middle of nowhere that you won't rack up bounties for attacking are pretty nice for grinding your weapon skills, if you're into that sort of thing.

Nah I just want to make sure if I kill them it won't prevent any missions or anything later.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Dohaeris posted:

Nah I just want to make sure if I kill them it won't prevent any missions or anything later.

If you side with, say, the Empire, you need the Imperial legates alive, I think? Or does Rikke/Ulfric's Henchdude just go out there and give you all the missions anyway? It's been a while since I did the Civil War questline but I'd say that you probably need to leave the commanders on whichever faction you choose alive.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
hey guys how do you make a piece of armor add a perk to the actor wearing it when equipped (and the opposite)? I'm driving myself up a wall because I've tried like a half-dozen different ways to do it and all of them have apparently been 2/3 wrong

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Canemacar posted:

Are there any good mods out there that allow you to progress through the Thieve's Guild questline without pledging your eternal soul to guarding a dank cave? That detail just ruins it for me. Even something as simple as an edit of the dialogue would work.

I don't think so, but consider this: you're pretty much swearing personal fealty to all the other daedra you work with as well. Your dragonborn soul has been in Akatosh's palm from the start and none of them will know until it's too late.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

My favourite part of the thieves' guild is that Mercer is the only one who actually steals anything

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

My favourite part of the thieves' guild is that Mercer is the only one who actually steals anything

I thought the questline got off on a promising start, what, with shaking people down for protection money--thats the kind of thing I can get behind--but, as you know, it quickly spirals into nonsensical poo poo after that.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

scamtank posted:

I don't think so, but consider this: you're pretty much swearing personal fealty to all the other daedra you work with as well. Your dragonborn soul has been in Akatosh's palm from the start and none of them will know until it's too late.

I like to think that you're basically scamming the Daedra into granting you eternal life, sort of like the stunt John Constantine pulled. By the the time you've finished the faction quests alone you've pledged yourself to Nocturnal, Hircine, possibly Mephala depending on what the hell is going with the Dark Brotherhood; and given the dialogue at the conclusion of most of the Daedric quests odds are good that they won't be the only ones with a claim.

Given that you've also killed hundreds of dragons in the name of of obtaining greater power, your soul seems like the kind of prize where even assuming pride wouldn't be an issue, the Daedric princes would go to war over you. And that can't have very good metaphysical implications.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Technogeek posted:

I like to think that you're basically scamming the Daedra into granting you eternal life, sort of like the stunt John Constantine pulled. By the the time you've finished the faction quests alone you've pledged yourself to Nocturnal, Hircine, possibly Mephala depending on what the hell is going with the Dark Brotherhood; and given the dialogue at the conclusion of most of the Daedric quests odds are good that they won't be the only ones with a claim.

Given that you've also killed hundreds of dragons in the name of of obtaining greater power, your soul seems like the kind of prize where even assuming pride wouldn't be an issue, the Daedric princes would go to war over you. And that can't have very good metaphysical implications.

And unlike the Champion of Cyrodiil there isn't a convenient out for this setup. Ofcourse none of this will actually bear out. Bethseda will just write a generic thing of what happened to the Dragonborn at that means he has no influence over their next game. It'll probably be something about mysteriously disapearing and that will be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Maybe they ended up in Apocrypha in the end.

• Locked thread