Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
No, seriously, do no more work for this company.

Don't give them anything more than you have, which is basically your entire sanity. They don't deserve it.

Let this douchebag worry about the problems he's brought upon himself. Don't ride it out. Don't prepare the company. THEY HAVE NOT DONE RIGHT BY YOU AS A PROFESSIONAL.

Tell the C-levels that offered you a reference that this is at the advice of a medical practitioner and that your personal health and wellness cannot suffer any longer at the hands of their company.

Take the battery out of the pager. Throw the pager out a window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

insidius posted:

I do not want to take the time off because I feel leaving my employer without an admin/network engineer s a very uncool thing to do until my replacement arrives, despite my resignation.

You should probably leave this thread before people start peeing on you. Good luck with your life!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

insidius posted:

I do not want to take the time off because I feel leaving my employer without an admin/network engineer is a very uncool thing to do until my replacement arrives, despite my resignation.

gently caress you.

Seriously, gently caress you and your well digging.

"My job makes me want to kill myself literally but I wouldn't want to do something 'uncool' that they brought on themselves due to their own shortsighted assholery."

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
I really hate my job better write several novels about it to pass the time while I cry myself to death

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe I'm being a bleeding heart here but isn't the whole problem with Goon in a Well Syndrome is that the goon in the well doesn't realize it despite all the help and maybe there's a better way to get the goon to realize before we get to goons 15-20?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

MJP posted:

No, seriously, do no more work for this company.

Don't give them anything more than you have, which is basically your entire sanity. They don't deserve it.

Let this douchebag worry about the problems he's brought upon himself. Don't ride it out. Don't prepare the company. THEY HAVE NOT DONE RIGHT BY YOU AS A PROFESSIONAL.

Tell the C-levels that offered you a reference that this is at the advice of a medical practitioner and that your personal health and wellness cannot suffer any longer at the hands of their company.

Take the battery out of the pager. Throw the pager out a window.

read this 50x until it sinks in and do it

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MJP posted:

Maybe I'm being a bleeding heart here but isn't the whole problem with Goon in a Well Syndrome is that the goon in the well doesn't realize it despite all the help and maybe there's a better way to get the goon to realize before we get to goons 15-20?

I don't know how much more clear the helpful posts could have been.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

I don't know how much more clear the helpful posts could have been.

Not doubting the helpfulness of the posts. It's just that there's gotta be a way to bridge the gap between goon advice and the goon in the well to get them to grab the rope other than saying "here's the rope." Someone in his position is basically helpless to their own psychological state and might just be unable to fathom rational actions (rational to us) as actual solutions.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Sickening posted:

Keep digging.

I cant, I am tired.

insidius fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 15, 2015

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

insidius posted:

Yes.

Why cant I just gently caress them. Why can I not just for once block out the problems, thoughts and feelings of everyone who is not me and do something selfish for my own good. I do not understand my inability to pull the trigger on this.

Why cant I for once just be the person to say "Too bad, its your problem now" and wash my hands of it.

I am stuck in this loop of anger at how I have been treated, anxiety at being able to get out in the easiest, smoothest way possible and the remaining thought of "No doubt about it, my absence could legitimately result in bad things".

Years ago, many years ago I would have put serious time, effort and thought into extracting some sort of revenge for anyone who had treated me in such a manner, I seem to have gone completely in the other direction as I age.

There's no reason not to literally protect your sanity.

Quit the job. Here and now, over the phone, with the pager battery removed. Just do it. Up and do it right here and now. If you're an Aussie then it's the middle of the night there, and this is the best time to do it. Over voice mail. Seriously, leave the relevant HR person - or ANY HR person - a voice mail. Abandon the job. Send your apologies to the C-levels tomorrow and explain why you simply couldn't do another day.

Take a week off. Go to Brisbane and spend the weekend there, it's a lovely city to walk around and chill out in.

Do it, do it, do it. You can and should.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
jesus christ man its not about revenge its about showing even the slightest bit of survival instinct. don't go there any more.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

insidius posted:

I do not want to take the time off because I feel leaving my employer without an admin/network engineer is a very uncool thing to do until my replacement arrives, despite my resignation.

I have justified it by realising that I will still be on call (This can not be helped, until my replacement hire arrives there is literally nobody who can take work of the nature I do), I just wont be in the office. So anything super critical that actually needs me will still come to me. Therefore I am serving the purpose of my position and its hard to ask for more than that especially with how I have been treated.

Jesus Christ, man, what is wrong with you

ed: It's like a bad relationship, without even the benefit of great sex

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

No. Assuming it's legal, don't stay on until they bring on a replacement. Don't do on call work. Don't answer if he calls. Get any threatening emails or other correspondence, go to an employment lawyer. Show him everything, ask him if there is any legal reason you can't just not show up. When your boss calls and leaves threatening voicemails, save them. Don't post about the legal proceedings here. Lawyer up and shut up.

You aren't to blame for your company being left without an admin. Your boss is, for dumping five people's workload on you. Being left in the lurch is the natural consequence of the choice he made. You aren't responsible for his mistakes.

Edit: Also, keep going to therapy.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 12, 2015

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Dude, just Don't Go Back. :bahgawd:"You'll never work in this industry again!" :bahgawd: is the lamest threat ever. gently caress the company, let them drown in the mess you've been dealing with for the past 10 years. You owe this company nothing.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

If you're looking for revenge though a huge dump on the guys desk would probably be therapeutic as gently caress

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
I will consider my options.

insidius fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 15, 2015

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

insidius posted:

Yup, I went and saw my psychiatrist today instead of heading straight off to work. Partially to be fair due to the prodding from some here. It helped, I do not wish to bore you with the details but yes, I was smart enough to do this.

He has very firmly suggested time off, I am going to listen to him at least within the confines of what I can give.

I have justified it by realising that I will still be on call (This can not be helped, until my replacement hire arrives there is literally nobody who can take work of the nature I do), I just wont be in the office. So anything super critical that actually needs me will still come to me. Therefore I am serving the purpose of my position and its hard to ask for more than that especially with how I have been treated.

Mate, listen to your psychiatrist and take the time off. I don't mean to be rude but you aren't well right now, you've spoke of stuff like suicide and you need to prioritise getting better over doing sys admin work. Working this job in any capacity is not going to help you get better. Off work is off work, no going to the office, no working from home, no on-call, nothing. Get signed off work, email a note to your boss or something and turn your phone off. If you don't have a work phone and only a personal one which you have this app on, then delete the app and put your phone on silent with no vibrate. Go relax a little. You owe them nothing.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Stay yo' rear end in that well

I'm over you, goon

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Don't lock yourself out of poo poo, don't tell him to take two weeks pay out of anything.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

CloFan posted:

You owe this company nothing.

Came in here to say this. All this talk about duty, obligation, and transition are a courtesy that is extended in a professional work environment. You are NOT in a healthy working environment, and therefore do not owe them gently caress ALL.

Your rear end in a top hat boss psychologically abused and manipulated you into believing you literally can't leave or ~~bad things~~ will happen. You know what? They probably will. But that falls on the head of the C-Level execs charged with RUNNING the company, not the poor dude in IT who is completely overworked.

Walk. Away. NOW.

Edit:

insidius posted:

Going down this path I will need to speak with the CEO again, and by speak as I write this post I realise that means "I must spend my day tomorrow locking myself out of an entire infrastructure, compile an email informing him I will be leaving two weeks into my four weeks notice and that I will not be returning, take the two weeks out of my entitlements as you are entitled to do, Regards, your previous admin.

STOP WORKING. Quit and WALK. Just keep telling yourself "I don't owe them anything." Locking yourself out is not your loving problem.

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 12, 2015

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Write the email right now and go to sleep the happiest man in the world

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

I feel really dumb.

*edit*

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
You're learning, one step at a time, how to quit a job. Good on you.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

insidius posted:

We do not have HR, I report directly to the CEO and have done for as long as I can remember, it may well be part of the issue. The issue that brought me here was quitting my job, I completed that part and gave them four weeks in which I would continue to work my arse off to ensure a smooth handover, hire my replacement, train existing staff. I have done every one of these things, the admin I have hired exceeds my skills in every way, I am happy with this.

Just so there is no mistake, I did resign. It simply is becoming clear that completing the four weeks notice as required, is not the right thing to do. It may seem like the right thing to do from a "job" perspective, but it is not the right thing to do by me. I did not want to leave in a position where though not my fault, it will hurt. I had hoped to complete everything for a smooth hand over, but it is clear it is a mistake and I must acknowledge that I have done what I can.

I can not post for advice and then choose to discard the most important parts of it. The decisions I chose to make clearly did not lead to a good end, it is time to follow the advice of others.

Going down this path I will need to speak with the CEO again, and by speak as I write this post I realise that means "I must spend my day tomorrow locking myself out of an entire infrastructure, compile an email informing him I will be leaving two weeks into my four weeks notice and that I will not be returning, take the two weeks out of my entitlements as you are entitled to do, Regards, your previous admin.

Dude, don't even lock out of anything. Cease immediately any professional obligation you have. Don't give yourself an unclean break. Leave a voice mail for the CEO right now. Pick up the phone and do it. Just do it. Don't think about it, don't post about it, don't post about thinking about it, read this and pick up the phone and leave him a voice mail. "I can't do this, I know I said four weeks but under medical advice, I am immediately terminating my employment. I can be reached at xxx-xxx-xxxx and insidius@domain.com - please let me know how I should go about turning in my equipment and picking up personal effects. If Evil Person Dude is still present, I would like to work around a time that he is unavailable should my presence be required."

insidius posted:

Its done. I will end this tomorrow. I will spend my day locking myself out of everything, I will communicate with the vendors to have them assist where they can until my replacement arrives, I will create replacement administrative place holder accounts to be given to my replacement and I will inform my CEO that I will not be returning as of COB.

This is a man who tried to emotionally blackmail me and intimidate me into doing as he commanded, any obligation, responsability or...in fact anything I could think of this beyond that point was and is irrelevant.

I feel really dumb.

*edit*

Not lock myself out of anything. Clearly I am still not getting the entire gist of this :\

No, just don't even go in at the start of business. Don't spend the day doing anything but sitting around at home not being employed by these people.

Don't even think about it. Follow these steps:

1) Leave your C-level person a voice mail saying you can no longer function at work and thus you are regretfully terminating your employment immediately. Leave your contact info.
2) Send your C-level an e-mail reiterating what you just left a voice mail.
3) Remove the pager battery.
4) Tomorrow, make arrangements to see a lawyer. Then go get some Bundy and get on a plane to a beach.

MJP fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 12, 2015

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

insidius posted:

Yes.

Why cant I just gently caress them. Why can I not just for once block out the problems, thoughts and feelings of everyone who is not me and do something selfish for my own good. I do not understand my inability to pull the trigger on this.

Why cant I for once just be the person to say "Too bad, its your problem now" and wash my hands of it.

I am stuck in this loop of anger at how I have been treated, anxiety at being able to get out in the easiest, smoothest way possible and the remaining thought of "No doubt about it, my absence could legitimately result in bad things".

Years ago, many years ago I would have put serious time, effort and thought into extracting some sort of revenge for anyone who had treated me in such a manner, I seem to have gone completely in the other direction as I age.

Quit!. Last year, I was also stuck in a well. And came to this place to ask for advice. Everyone said to quit and get my money back, some even offered to help me laywer up. The next day I went to work, I sat down and talked with my boss about the money he owed me. He started berating me for asking for my money (I wasn't paid for 9 months*). Telling me I was a greedy guy who only wants money. i'm throwing away the best chance I'll ever get etc... I quit that day. and kept phoning him everyday until i got my money. The day I quit felt horrible because of how he berated me. The next day I woke up. I felt an immense amount of relief. I was no longer working for free. I wasn't on call anymore. I could stop getting terrified any time my phone rang. I had no responsibility anymore. It felt great. My mental and physical health improved alot.

Take it from me, another goon who was stuck in a well. Just leave. you owe him nothing. Now i´m doing a wonderful intern ship for which i´m getting paid and have gotten 2 jobs offers I can start in the summer after I graduate. It can only get better.

*took 3 months but i at least got my money and have never looked back.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
This was not really very interesting.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Then do it, don't post about it.

Post when you have done it.

You are good at articulating. Articulate the details of how it felt to write that "I quit" email and leave that "I quit" voice mail, and how you told them IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS that you will NOT BE RETURNING TOMORROW OR ANY OTHER DAY.

Tell us about those after you have done them right now!

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

i just want to say that you're not dumb or stupid, you are in an abusive relationship. it is absolutely normal to blame yourself or feel like you owe your abuser something when this happens, but you dont owe your abuser anything, and it is absolutely not your fault that they are maggot scum.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

pointers posted:

i just want to say that you're not dumb or stupid, you are in an abusive relationship. it is absolutely normal to blame yourself or feel like you owe your abuser something when this happens, but you dont owe your abuser anything, and it is absolutely not your fault that they are maggot scum.

That's it - that's what I was trying to articulate. He's not a goon in a well, he's a battered spouse.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Man, I thought I have worked for some dysfunctional people.

Anyways, yay, I decided to take the job at the manufacturing company. Put in my 2 weeks just a minute ago. Will be nice to get a $10k/yr raise and get out of the MSP game. :yotj: Thanks for the advice, gentle goons.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

high six posted:

Man, I thought I have worked for some dysfunctional people.

Anyways, yay, I decided to take the job at the manufacturing company. Put in my 2 weeks just a minute ago. Will be nice to get a $10k/yr raise and get out of the MSP game. :yotj: Thanks for the advice, gentle goons.

Fuckin' A, finally some good news itt

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Yo just quit your job and take your girlfriend out to a nice steak dinner.

This goes for everybody.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Tailored Sauce posted:

Yo just quit your job and take your girlfriend out to a nice steak dinner.

This goes for everybody.

BRB quitting my job (which I kind of like? But I must obey).

Also wife is vegetarian.

This advice sucks. Oh well too late now.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

insidius posted:

Yes.

You are a loving idiot and I believe you deserve every bit of torture you receive from this job.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
It's a job, just a job, ain't the end of the world, you're working on IT, there's another bunker you can scuffle off to in case of an emergency, you paid your dues, it won't look bad on your resumé saying you left after x years. Quit and take some prolonged vacations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
This topic has run its course, on to the next thing.

Guys should I go to college?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

how old are you? college is just a thing you need to do to attain a certain level of employability, but if you're already great at what you do, focus on that instead

high six
Feb 6, 2010
College is fun.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

College is for gayfers

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

You are a loving idiot and I believe you deserve every bit of torture you receive from this job.

gently caress you, what the gently caress is this poo poo. He is literally an abuse victim. People who are abused are not at fault for being abused, and they are not idiots and not doing anything wrong. There is some serious medical and psychological poo poo going on that he needs professional help with and should do that, but it's not as easy as telling someone to "just leave". You don't tell abuse victims that they're "loving idiots", jesus goddamn christ.

I sometimes can't believe the selfishness, arrogance, ignorance, and misogyny that comes into this thread occasionally but you're taking the loving cake right here.