Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

"lmao a 9.9 degree caster angle? don't make me laugh, let's tweak that to 11 degrees and reduce slow bump to 1500 N/m/s" - me pretending this screen makes any sense

I guess that kind of thing is amazing for people way into the sim stuff though

I graduated with an mechanical engineering degree a few weeks ago. I went into it partly because I wanted to understand what the hell was going on with all those settings.

Caster is effect you see on shopping carts, where the tire/wheel rotation axis is behind the turning axis. Upping the angle on this will push the tire rotation axis behind the steering rotation axis. This adds camber when the steering wheel is off center and makes the steering wheel stiffer, it also makes the car more stable by making the car autocorrect itself when oversteering if you let your hands off the wheel in a slide.

Bump is a damping term, im still not sure what sims mean by fast and slow damping. Anyways, if your tire isnt getting stuffed up into the car fast enough when you hit a bump, then lower the bump. The units on this are Force per velocity, the the faster the tire is moving up (bump) then the more that speed of the tire will be resisted by the damper. When the tire is moving down its rebound. Dampers mainly effect the transient over/understeer response of the vehicle - corner entry and exit as the car is falling onto its suspension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'd also highly recommend this book to anyone that really wants to get stupid into sims.

http://www.amazon.com/Going-Faster-Mastering-Race-Driving/dp/0837602262

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Diet Crack posted:

It's actually amazingly simple to understand if you read up on what camber/caster, stop bumps and springs all mean. Learning how to tweak the car to match your style of driving will also shave a good 2-3 seconds off the best of laptimes with default setups.

This. Plus stuff like oversteer/understeer is also a simple concept. Just tweak to whatever the track needs/weather is. Probably could make things quicker by setting tires to "Automatic To Weather", but you're better off manually putting in Slicks strictly or Soft Tires.

Diet Crack posted:

Also don't forget to reduce fuel when you race. For some reason the game defaults you to a full tank every time.

Gotta guzzle gas. Always. :colbert:

OhsH posted:

yall need to be breaking my hockenheim gp in the superkart tia.

Come see me at that Barcelona Club for some good ol' kartin'. Goon karts sounds like a horribly good idea, actually.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

GutBomb posted:

Where he says the presets don't work he's referring to setting those presets within the ffb xml files. In older builds it worked to set them from the files but now you need to set those in the ffb calibration menu in game. I know it's not really very clear.

Yes you do need to change those settings for every file but if you get notepad++ (I think it's free) you can do a find and replace to a whole folder at once and it only takes a few seconds to do.
Could it just be spelled out what exactly I gotta do here? I know we played a lot of Forza, and I did like that FFB, so if you've gotten settings to feel good for you I'll stick to that and trust your judgment there.

Right now I'm looking at:

Step 0: reset my wheel settings in game and calibrate
Step 1: copy the ??? FFB folder to My Documents/Project CARS/.
Step 2: beyond my ability to comprehend right now

And yeah I'm fine with firing up Notepad++ to find and replace all.

As for car settings, where do I configure degrees-to-lock? I prefer lower values, in the 180-200 range. Most cars in the game are fine but I found the Focus RS to require a lot more turning than I cared for.

Sorry for being annoying with all this. I hope the console users don't need to go this far.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Norns posted:

I'd also highly recommend this book to anyone that really wants to get stupid into sims.

http://www.amazon.com/Going-Faster-Mastering-Race-Driving/dp/0837602262

also compulsory viewing

https://youtu.be/xQRmYMlmdqM

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

LiquidRain posted:

Could it just be spelled out what exactly I gotta do here? I know we played a lot of Forza, and I did like that FFB, so if you've gotten settings to feel good for you I'll stick to that and trust your judgment there.

Right now I'm looking at:

Step 0: reset my wheel settings in game and calibrate
Step 1: copy the ??? FFB folder to My Documents/Project CARS/.
Step 2: beyond my ability to comprehend right now

And yeah I'm fine with firing up Notepad++ to find and replace all.

As for car settings, where do I configure degrees-to-lock? I prefer lower values, in the 180-200 range. Most cars in the game are fine but I found the Focus RS to require a lot more turning than I cared for.

Sorry for being annoying with all this. I hope the console users don't need to go this far.

The focus RS has weird feedback, not a lot until the tires get warm. Try messing with a different car or let the tires warm up. Renault Megane, The merc hatch... they all feel different but feel pretty good. Try a formula a too, it's great fun.

What I did was copy that folder down to the right place, do the find and replace to restore the wheel lock, calibrate the wheel, calibrate the FFB (basically just make sure tire force is at 100 (I didn't have to change much, I'm using a thrustmaster wheel) and then try some cars. If you're using a logitech I believe you have to set deadzone reduction to something like 16 to get the feedback to be spread across the entire wheel rotation. Like, if feedback doesn't kick in until the wheel is turned far enough that means you have to reduce that deadzone with that particular setting in the wheel feedback calibration screens.

I wouldn't recommend changing the wheel degrees because the game does that on the fly per car to match their real life lock to lock rotation. You can change the steering ratio in the car tuning to make things more comfortable, so play with that until you get a setting you're comfortable with.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
Man, not having the control setup even visible from ingame just had me back out of the LeMans 24h in career once the dark came because I just couldn't figure out what button was mapped to turn the headlights on. And once I get in a car that has KERS and DRS, that will happen again because I won't remember or know what buttons do what.

Thankfully I only lost about half an hour, but still. Annoying and really shouldn't be an issue.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

Baggins posted:

Man, not having the control setup even visible from ingame just had me back out of the LeMans 24h in career once the dark came because I just couldn't figure out what button was mapped to turn the headlights on. And once I get in a car that has KERS and DRS, that will happen again because I won't remember or know what buttons do what.

Thankfully I only lost about half an hour, but still. Annoying and really shouldn't be an issue.

Mark down the windscreen wiper button too if you're going out in anything with a windscreen. I have a feeling my steering wheel is going to end up covered in dymo tape or silver pen.

Just took a couple of cars aroung Watkins Glen because I've never come across it in a game and you guys seemed pretty chuffed with its inclusion. gently caress me. What an awesome track. As far as cars go I'm really enjoying the Porsche GT3 and the BMW E30, so feel free to smash my laptimes on Watkins GP and short into the ground in either (DalPlatinum on steam/game).

I'm using the FFBTweaker files with my DFGT, and I have to say they're pretty good. Since putting them in, I'm much quicker at reacting to oversteer which has been my main problem since release. I'm using the SoP version.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The RUF GT3 legitimately takes skill to drive. Gaf dudes hate it because they cannot figure out why it understeers. It's pretty funny.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The e30 M3 alone is enough for me to buy this game. I really wish racing games would include the e36 and e46. Its always an e30 and then jumps to the e90 and up.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

The RUF GT3 legitimately takes skill to drive. Gaf dudes hate it because they cannot figure out why it understeers. It's pretty funny.

I'm quite sure this is my main car currently and I am the boss of it.

:colbert:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I was reading that and thinking about how much fun I had with that car.
:)

Edit: loving phone posting.

Norns fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 12, 2015

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
If you haven't done laps of Azure circuit (Monaco) in the Lotus 72, you're in for a treat. Here's a (messy) lap I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRT1rosjPKM

It's sideways all the time!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
RUF GT3 is my most favorite car to drive as well.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooh my god I just bought Project CARS on PS4.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
PCARS IS ON PSN

GO GO GO

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Ooh my god I just bought Project CARS on PS4.

noooo

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

we are racing on mumble, three of us waiting for gentle goons

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'd go, but I'm doing homework before losing my evening to this game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Game is out on PSN, I can't believe this, restart Steam guys.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Game delivered this morning, stuck at work :mad:

I really hope at some point they bring Camaros in. I need to drive my real life car in a video game, drat it!

A Mustang isn't my ideal compromise.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

SanitysEdge posted:

Bump is a damping term, im still not sure what sims mean by fast and slow damping.
Most decent dampers have valving that switches depending on oil flow velocity. If the damper moves slowly, the slow damping valve is open, if the damper moves quickly, the fast damping valve opens. Like this you can control how much things are dampened depending on what ground you ride. You usually want slow compression and fast rebound for slow undulations in the road, where as you want the opposite for fast undulations, like patchy roads.

I said come in! posted:

Game is out on PSN, I can't believe this, restart Steam guys.
Everyone dropping the PC version for the PS4 one, or what?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 12, 2015

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
My G27 Gear stick doesn't seem to know the gears its in. Any movement [provided it's antagonistic] will result in sequential shifting, not the actual shifting i'm doing.

So I can be in Gear 2 in the Gear 4 slot, if that makes sense? Kind of makes the shifter a big annoying paddle?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Everyone dropping the PC version for the PS4 one, or what?

Nah, at least I didn't get that impression. I think mostly everyone is sticking to PC.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
there is pc racing !!!!right now!!!! @ mumble.goonrathi.com 64738 password: mellon

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Staying with PC since I don't feel like buying a new wheel. And it looks better

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Norns posted:

Staying with PC since I don't feel like buying a new wheel. And it looks better

Unless you're on my PC then the PS4 version performs and looks waaaaaaaaaaay better. :( Sorry, i've cried about this a lot now.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

simosimo posted:

My G27 Gear stick doesn't seem to know the gears its in. Any movement [provided it's antagonistic] will result in sequential shifting, not the actual shifting i'm doing.

So I can be in Gear 2 in the Gear 4 slot, if that makes sense? Kind of makes the shifter a big annoying paddle?

Don't hold me to this, but I'm sure i saw an option to switch between full gear shift and sequential. hosed if I can remember where though.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Just bought, downloaded, installed from US PS4 store, and did whatever that first thing they let you do is. My lightning review:

- Wow, it's really, really pretty.
- Wow, I am really, really bad at fake driving.

PSN veddermatic if anyone wants someone they can always beat to race against!

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

frankenbeans posted:

Don't hold me to this, but I'm sure i saw an option to switch between full gear shift and sequential. hosed if I can remember where though.

Can't seem to find it, googled some forum posts and people are wondering the same thing

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Steam Forums posted:

When are you going to start making refunds?
When are you going to start making refunds to all the customers that were ripped off with your misinformation and sale of the unfinished product?

Or we should contact relevant authorities about your fraudulent activity so that you are kicked out of the Steam and removed from retail sales?

I am giving you time until 17:00 GMT May 19th to start refunding people who are reporting problems and whom you're are not offering any solution. After that legal action will be taken.

:ohdear:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
~*~the internet~*~

ps4 stuff. Pretty, but not as pretty as what's on my pc :smug:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

YOU WILL BE KICKED OUT OF THE STEAM.

PCARS actually has more then what was originally promised.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

~*~the internet~*~

ps4 stuff. Pretty, but not as pretty as what's on my pc :smug:

Yeah when the weather or sunset kicks in it's like playing an oil painting, it's really nice at times.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I almost did get irrationally angry at the "NOT ALL REQUIRED BUTTONS HAVE BEEN ASSIGNED PLEASE ASSIGN ALL REQUIRED BUTTONS" prompt

Sorry I don't use the hand brake or look back feature.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Whenever I come to a stop I can't accelerate again with the G27? It's like the car goes dead when coming to a halt or spinning [to a stop]. Pretty lame, but i'm sure it's just a control config mishap? Auto clutch is on, as the stick shifter is useless with this game.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

simosimo posted:

Whenever I come to a stop I can't accelerate again with the G27? It's like the car goes dead when coming to a halt or spinning [to a stop]. Pretty lame, but i'm sure it's just a control config mishap? Auto clutch is on, as the stick shifter is useless with this game.

The shifter isn't useless. You have to bind each gear position.

What's happening is your car is dying because it stalls when you come to a stop in gear. you need to bind a button to "start engine"

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I almost did get irrationally angry at the "NOT ALL REQUIRED BUTTONS HAVE BEEN ASSIGNED PLEASE ASSIGN ALL REQUIRED BUTTONS" prompt

Sorry I don't use the hand brake or look back feature.

Is the handbrake even noticeable? Because last I remember, I had to actually brake for some turns here and there.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

simosimo posted:

Did you by chance calibrate and check your keybindings?

My H Shifter works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

GutBomb posted:

The shifter isn't useless. You have to bind each gear position.

What's happening is your car is dying because it stalls when you come to a stop in gear. you need to bind a button to "start engine"

Or you can just push in the clutch before your car dies. It's just like real life!

By the way, my G27's H shifter worked with default bindings out of the box (PC). I'm also impressed that you can hot swap between using paddles and the H shifter mid-race without having to go change it in the options.

Why don't all racing sims do this?

• Locked thread