Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
While the shitlords in the android rooting thread will deny this, rooting is great for keeping lovely apps in line. I force hibernate Facebook and I kill Spotify connect to save battery and this I get all 17 hours of charge per day on my n6 with about 4 hours sot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Cultural Imperial posted:

While the shitlords in the android rooting thread will deny this, rooting is great for keeping lovely apps in line. I force hibernate Facebook and I kill Spotify connect to save battery and this I get all 17 hours of charge per day on my n6 with about 4 hours sot.

Servicely is pretty cool for stuff like that, if you're not using it already.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Here's a question I'm not sure I can get an answer to.

Basically, I have a font on my phone that turns emojis into HTC ones. However, it changes the font from Roboto to Droid Sans (which is basically Calibri but chubbier). Is there a way to change the Droid Sans to Roboto? It working through a theme, so changing the actual fonts in /system/fonts won't do much good.

Also, with the HTC emoji font, it makes the emoji way too large. Is there an easy way to reduce their size? Font size is already on the smallest available in CM12.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Cultural Imperial posted:

Why not just use the mobile site instead? It works quite decently.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Mooktastical posted:

Root only then, unfortunately.

And you can't root an S5 on lollipop yet, right?

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Blitter posted:

A poster contemplated it here.

You will want to sort out what your hardware model is (it is not just Note 4) as a starting point.

Edit: Assuming that you're just not trolling in the indignant and vacuous vein of 30.5 Days, I should add that after a very short bit of reading on XDA, it looks like a pretty lovely idea depending on what version you're currently on - you may need to downgrade before rooting which may not be possible, and all sorts of other foolery (like dealing with knox, invalidating warranty, etc etc), because you've been Samsung'd.

I live in the land of the free (Europe), so Samsung is legally required to offer me a warranty even when rooting my phone.
https://fsfe.org/freesoftware/legal/flashingdevices.en.html

I sorta was half trolling, because I don't have a Note 4 yet, but I'm about to get one, and I can't have an android without root, I need my hold back to kill button, titanium backup and all that. Seems pretty easy though, just flash poo poo with odin and Bob's your uncle.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Megaspel posted:

I live in the land of the free (Europe), so Samsung is legally required to offer me a warranty even when rooting my phone.
https://fsfe.org/freesoftware/legal/flashingdevices.en.html

I sorta was half trolling, because I don't have a Note 4 yet, but I'm about to get one, and I can't have an android without root, I need my hold back to kill button, titanium backup and all that. Seems pretty easy though, just flash poo poo with odin and Bob's your uncle.

Well, you should bear in mind that as far as I can tell, there is no rollback for the firmware on the latest devices and no root either. Have fun with your Samsung!

Blitter fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 12, 2015

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Can anyone advise on the best way to root a Nexus 7 2013, running Lollipop 5.1.1, please? (If it is possible).

I'd like to uninstall some junk, and install adblocking and droidwall. Thanks all.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

Blitter posted:

Well, you should bear in mind that as far as I can tell, there is no rollback for the firmware on the latest devices and no root either. Have fun with your Samsung!

Well apparently there is and it looks like all I have to do is flash a thing by that chainfire dude. Samsung is bad at phones, with cheap, easily breakable parts, and no support beyond 2 years, but also good at a bunch of poo poo that I want, it's the loving Wacom pen that's got me. No other recent phones really have anything that compares, and I'm not fannying around with some lovely bluetooth laggy piece of poo poo pen that takes AA batteries.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Megaspel posted:

How do I root the Note 4? Thanks in advance.

I actually have a Note 4 (my post was the one linked to). After all the problems I had with my rooted SIII, I decided to try living with it unrooted for a month first. I still haven't rooted, and haven't found a compelling reason to. The Note 4's flavor of touchwiz just isn't bad enough to warrant the headache of rooting.

If you want to make touchwiz a little more livable, my advice is:
*Disable the stock Samsung apps that have Google equivalents and then download the Google ones (so Google Now, Calendar, etc).
*Install a new launcher. I use Action Launcher 2, but whichever one tickles your fancy is fine.
*Live with the fact that the System Settings menu is kind ugly.

This is not a shitpost. I genuinely decided after a couple months that it wasn't worth the pain, and I have rooted every phone I've owned since Froyo was a thing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wipeout posted:

Can anyone advise on the best way to root a Nexus 7 2013, running Lollipop 5.1.1, please? (If it is possible).

I'd like to uninstall some junk, and install adblocking and droidwall. Thanks all.

Of course it's possible. Rooting a Nexus hasn't changed in forever so pretty much any guide will be accurate but as a summary:

Unlock bootloader (wipes device), install custom recovery, install superuser.

Be aware after you do it you'll have to manually fastboot flash every component from factory images for every update--no more OTAs or manually applying the update.zip.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
I've come into a S5 that one of my roommate's customers managed to gently caress up somehow. Whatever he did to it tripped knox, so he just gave up on it and bought another phone. I'm trying to see if I can bring it back to life to maybe replace my S4, but I can't get anywhere with it.

Regular Boot

Upon booting into recovery I get this. It also happens after trying to wipe data / cache and on exit of recovery.

Download

Odin trying it's best

<horns.aiff>

It seems like If the partition table can just be fixed it should be good to go. I'm just trying to get it back to a stock firmware build for right now. I've tried both 5.0 and 4.4.2 builds for it, both with the same outcome
The previous owner never turned on developer mode, so ADB is useless. I tried Heimdall too, but no dice.
Any hope of recovery or is this thing destined to be sold for parts on ebay? It's in pristine condition and I'd hate to have to do that, but if the SD itself is hosed then I guess there's not really a whole lot more options

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I actually have a Note 4 (my post was the one linked to). After all the problems I had with my rooted SIII, I decided to try living with it unrooted for a month first. I still haven't rooted, and haven't found a compelling reason to. The Note 4's flavor of touchwiz just isn't bad enough to warrant the headache of rooting.

If you want to make touchwiz a little more livable, my advice is:
*Disable the stock Samsung apps that have Google equivalents and then download the Google ones (so Google Now, Calendar, etc).
*Install a new launcher. I use Action Launcher 2, but whichever one tickles your fancy is fine.
*Live with the fact that the System Settings menu is kind ugly.

This is not a shitpost. I genuinely decided after a couple months that it wasn't worth the pain, and I have rooted every phone I've owned since Froyo was a thing.

Is there any features we'd lose by rooting? Is anything different once it's done? Like does the knox counter inform some security stuff on the phone OS or anything? I don't mind a bit of bother, since I like tasker and tweaking stuff in general, it'd probably drive me a bit insane to not have a rooted phone. I don't want to switch to Cyanogenmod this time though, I want to stick with the Samsung OS so that the fingerprint scanner and pen and all that work perfectly, I might just wait until Samsung stop updating their OS to see if anyone's cracked all the drivers.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

BIG HORNY COW posted:

It seems like If the partition table can just be fixed it should be good to go. I'm just trying to get it back to a stock firmware build for right now. I've tried both 5.0 and 4.4.2 builds for it, both with the same outcome
The previous owner never turned on developer mode, so ADB is useless. I tried Heimdall too, but no dice.
Any hope of recovery or is this thing destined to be sold for parts on ebay? It's in pristine condition and I'd hate to have to do that, but if the SD itself is hosed then I guess there's not really a whole lot more options
Did you already try using a PIT file along with the TAR in ODIN? (Here's one for the 16GB G900T.)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Megaspel posted:

Is there any features we'd lose by rooting? Is anything different once it's done? Like does the knox counter inform some security stuff on the phone OS or anything? I don't mind a bit of bother, since I like tasker and tweaking stuff in general, it'd probably drive me a bit insane to not have a rooted phone. I don't want to switch to Cyanogenmod this time though, I want to stick with the Samsung OS so that the fingerprint scanner and pen and all that work perfectly, I might just wait until Samsung stop updating their OS to see if anyone's cracked all the drivers.

If you root, it will trip knox and you will get no further updates. In some cases the phone just boots straight into Odin mode and is unrecoverable. If you're fine being stuck on whatever version of Android is rootable for the Note 4, I guess you're not losing much. But definitely, under no circumstances, go to a custom rom. It is just not worth it.

I have also heard that if you trip knox that all the Samsung apps will stop getting updates too. This might not seem like a big deal, but the S Pen, finger print scanner, and all that other stuff are driven by Samsung apps that are updated through the system updater.

What I'd really ask you is, what's motivating you to root. Is it just adblocking? That's basically the only thing I'm finding I can't do without root, and it really just encouraged me to switch to paid apps or apps that aren't supported by obnoxious ads. If you have a bunch of poweruser use cases for root, more power to you, but I haven't been able to come up with a list that outweighs "No more updates ever".

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Back when I had a Note II, I found that Note Buddy with CM S Pen Add-on (Root) worked fairly well at making the S Pen function as it should.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

If you root, it will trip knox and you will get no further updates. In some cases the phone just boots straight into Odin mode and is unrecoverable. If you're fine being stuck on whatever version of Android is rootable for the Note 4, I guess you're not losing much. But definitely, under no circumstances, go to a custom rom. It is just not worth it.

I have also heard that if you trip knox that all the Samsung apps will stop getting updates too. This might not seem like a big deal, but the S Pen, finger print scanner, and all that other stuff are driven by Samsung apps that are updated through the system updater.
You can still update, you just won't be able to get OTA updates directly. Samsung apps still update as well. (This is from my experience with the Note 3 and S6.)

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

datajosh posted:

Did you already try using a PIT file along with the TAR in ODIN? (Here's one for the 16GB G900T.)
Yeah, it still generates the same error

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

datajosh posted:

You can still update, you just won't be able to get OTA updates directly. Samsung apps still update as well. (This is from my experience with the Note 3 and S6.)

I don't think this is true anymore between knox and the fact that android updates fail immediately if the hash they take of the system file system is wrong.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

I don't think this is true anymore between knox and the fact that android updates fail immediately if the hash they take of the system file system is wrong.

OTA updates fail, but the stock updates almost always show up on XDA in a flashable form soon after (or sometimes even before) they release.

Basically the update situation is the same as it's always been for modified installs, just now you don't have to worry about accidentally accepting an OTA which breaks everything.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

True but it just means you have to flash the entire update, either as a ODIN TAR from SamMobile or a flashable ZIP from XDA, rather than take/flash the incremental OTA update. It also means you'll have to wait a bit longer to update but I went through that with my Note 3 and I'm currently dealing with that on my wife's S6.

That's one thing I love about the Nexus 6 - easy as hell to update. I do miss the Note's Wacom digitizer though.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Cool.

Well then Note 4 guy, I guess if you're comfortable flashing all your updates from images posted on XDA, there's no reason not to root :). For me that's still more hassle than it's worth, but if you're going to do more than block ads then maybe it balances out differently for you.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Why not root and then flash a custom ROM like CM?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I was recently given 3 TM105a tablets, brand new in box, but with android 4.0.4 on them. I'd like to update to 4.4.4 if possible (is this even a good idea?) since some of the apps I need to run don't seem to work with 4.0.4. I'm not 100% sure the android version is the problem, I just know that this remote desktop app works on 4.4.4

How do I go about updating these things? I've looked online for guides, but I'm a little wary of downloading from the types of sites I've found. Is there an official google page where I can download various versions of Android? It seems like the process is pretty simple, I just don't know where to download stuff from.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Inspector 34 posted:

I was recently given 3 TM105a tablets, brand new in box, but with android 4.0.4 on them. I'd like to update to 4.4.4 if possible (is this even a good idea?) since some of the apps I need to run don't seem to work with 4.0.4. I'm not 100% sure the android version is the problem, I just know that this remote desktop app works on 4.4.4

How do I go about updating these things? I've looked online for guides, but I'm a little wary of downloading from the types of sites I've found. Is there an official google page where I can download various versions of Android? It seems like the process is pretty simple, I just don't know where to download stuff from.

The only devices Google supports are Nexus devices. Anything else is left to the manufacturer and most of the time if they aren't a major player they never get updates at all. A quick Google search would seem to indicate that the tablet you're talking about has no support and will never get any updates ever.

That means you're at the mercy of the development community. A little Googling gave me this which would seem like a laughably bad idea if it weren't a free tablet that you have two spares for. (I also like that my eyes see the domain name as "a ransomware dot blogspot dot com".)

Have fun.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Cool.

Well then Note 4 guy, I guess if you're comfortable flashing all your updates from images posted on XDA, there's no reason not to root :). For me that's still more hassle than it's worth, but if you're going to do more than block ads then maybe it balances out differently for you.

Wicked. I tend to use Tasker to do things like disabling pattern lock at home , Titanium Backup because I don't want to spend three years reinstalling all my poo poo, holding back to kill is invaluable to me, holding home button to turn on the flashlight is mega-useful, speeding up useless window animations and transitions. Plus, I just like to be fully in control of my phone, or at least as much as I can be, even simple stuff like opening the text file that contains all my saved WiFi passwords and stuff, as well as completely removing bloat. Sometimes ridiculous stuff is locked down, like my parent's LG tablet has user functionality, but it's disabled without root, for no real reason.

noirstronaut posted:

Why not root and then flash a custom ROM like CM?

AOSP roms never fully work and utilize the hardware available, usually because Samsung has secret propriety drivers and poo poo. I don't know if HDMI out works on the latest CM, but stuff is always buggy forever.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Megaspel posted:

AOSP roms never fully work and utilize the hardware available, usually because Samsung has secret propriety drivers and poo poo. I don't know if HDMI out works on the latest CM, but stuff is always buggy forever.

Never is a very strong word, everything works just fine on all four devices I've flashed to CM, including HDMI on my old Evo and the pen on my friend's Note 3

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Megaspel posted:

Wicked. I tend to use Tasker to do things like disabling pattern lock at home , Titanium Backup because I don't want to spend three years reinstalling all my poo poo, holding back to kill is invaluable to me, holding home button to turn on the flashlight is mega-useful, speeding up useless window animations and transitions. Plus, I just like to be fully in control of my phone, or at least as much as I can be, even simple stuff like opening the text file that contains all my saved WiFi passwords and stuff, as well as completely removing bloat. Sometimes ridiculous stuff is locked down, like my parent's LG tablet has user functionality, but it's disabled without root, for no real reason.

FYI, the you trusted credentials are wiped whenever your pin is disabled, so if you have any WiFi certificates or anything on your phone, you probably don't want to disable your pin. I used to use llama for the same thing until i realized that's why I had to set up my work credentials again every morning.

And CM suggester guy : the days when custom romz were better than stock are long gone. All you do by flashing a new rom these days is make your phone less stable and give up any vendor specific features. Especially with a note, where the big selling point of the phone is S Pen and sit screen productivity features.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

FYI, the you trusted credentials are wiped whenever your pin is disabled, so if you have any WiFi certificates or anything on your phone, you probably don't want to disable your pin. I used to use llama for the same thing until i realized that's why I had to set up my work credentials again every morning.

And CM suggester guy : the days when custom romz were better than stock are long gone. All you do by flashing a new rom these days is make your phone less stable and give up any vendor specific features. Especially with a note, where the big selling point of the phone is S Pen and sit screen productivity features.

What's the downside to using a custom ROMs on a standard phone? I'm running an LG G2 with CM 12 and it seems to be monumentally better than what I was previously experiencing while still giving me the double tap to wake up thing.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
If you weren't using a Literally Garbage phone you wouldn't need aftermarket software that may or may not perform perfectly depending on the tides and the phases of the moon. Then again, without those sweet HTC emojis that's not really a life worth living.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

cisco privilege posted:

If you weren't using a Literally Garbage phone you wouldn't need aftermarket software that may or may not perform perfectly depending on the tides and the phases of the moon. Then again, without those sweet HTC emojis that's not really a life worth living.

Did you have a bad day or are just always this way?

Anyway, my phone works exceptionally well and CM hasn't done me wrong yet. But then again, I don't want you to think I am denying you your sick burn in turning LG into an acronym to mean Literally Garbage. Also, I got the HTC emoji to work but you should know that it's not bound by a phone's manufacturer? I think that was one of the three lam attempts at a joke you made, but whatever.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

Did you have a bad day or are just always this way?

Anyway, my phone works exceptionally well and CM hasn't done me wrong yet. But then again, I don't want you to think I am denying you your sick burn in turning LG into an acronym to mean Literally Garbage. Also, I got the HTC emoji to work but you should know that it's not bound by a phone's manufacturer? I think that was one of the three lam attempts at a joke you made, but whatever.

He's not wrong though. If you hadn't bought the phone known for having the absolute worst stock software, you'd have a lot higher bar to cross for "monumentally better".

The stock G2 software literally had no decimal point in the stock number keyboard, that's how poor the stock software was. There was plenty more that couldn't be corrected for by just swapping an app. It was by all accounts completely atrocious.

I used CM for years until it turned out that stock software got way better and now it exists solely for the purposes of providing a half-working alternative to mostly-working stock software with aesthetic issues. If your stock software is inferior to CM, it's because it's really lovely stock software because it turns out there is plenty of stock software that is better than CM.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Holy crap this tablet sucks dicks. Yeah it was free (to me), but it's still a half passed attempt by Intel to get into the tablet game. This thing (tm105a) is slow, the display is terrible, the thing is awkward as hell to hold, and even worse to type on. I really want to try the instructions linked earlier for upgrading this thing to 5.1 just to see how bad it is.

However, it was given for free and I've got three of them, so I'm going to try and find a way to put this thing to use. What use do you guys find for obsolete tablets? If I can get a reliable RDP app working that'd be awesome, but nothing has worked so far.

I'm not entirely sure I'm even in the correct thread, I guess I just figure that anything productive with this piece of poo poo tablet will involve rooting it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

LastInLine posted:

He's not wrong though. If you hadn't bought the phone known for having the absolute worst stock software, you'd have a lot higher bar to cross for "monumentally better".

The stock G2 software literally had no decimal point in the stock number keyboard, that's how poor the stock software was. There was plenty more that couldn't be corrected for by just swapping an app. It was by all accounts completely atrocious.

I used CM for years until it turned out that stock software got way better and now it exists solely for the purposes of providing a half-working alternative to mostly-working stock software with aesthetic issues. If your stock software is inferior to CM, it's because it's really lovely stock software because it turns out there is plenty of stock software that is better than CM.

Cycling back to my original question, what makes CM inferior to stock or what makes stock better?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

noirstronaut posted:

Cycling back to my original question, what makes CM inferior to stock or what makes stock better?
Stock is usually a lot more stable, like, not suddenly losing the SIM-card and poo poo like the camera working for more than 20-30 shots before you'd need to reboot, among other more minor issues.

That was my experience last summer at least.

And I suspect the answer to this will either be "it's a known bug" or "it works for me", neither which are good answers when it's poo poo you'd like to work reliably.

In my case, I didn't discover some of these issues until I went on a roadtrip with my family. I missed out on some nice photo moments because my phone had to reboot. Which really sucks, but that's the price I pay to use cool custom romz.

So in short, I suppose what makes CM inferior to closer to stock software is "quality".

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I think "I don't experience any of those issues" would be more than valid when we're talking about stability. Maybe I don't experience them since I use my iPhone 6 as a main phone and only have the G2 as a secondary device. Either way, I've literally never had any crippling issues like that – literally nothing like it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

I used to have an appropriate post to quote but I guess it was in one of the older threads.

The problem with CM is that it's perpetually 95% done. Even back when they actually had milestone and "stable" releases there was always something that didn't work, or worked but only part way, or failed in a very specific set of circumstances. Oh this nightly wifi drops out if you have a password that has a number 6 in it. Tonight the wifi is fixed but autobrightness will disable after a phone call until you reboot (not a big deal because you're flashing nightlies, right?) Stupid poo poo like that. The worst of course is when some bug affects you and pretty much only you because good luck waiting for that patch to get merged. At least when I was using it the device maintainers would hang around xda so if you made enough noise you might get your edge case fixed but now, lol, no.

There are other criticisms such as the pain in the dick to get Google apps to play nicely with the system and having to constantly monitor those for issues. When I last used it there were three or four consecutive GApps packages that had quirks to address, like edit this script or fix that filename, before they were usable.

As Zom Aur pointed out the reason why stock is better is because you don't have to worry about ANY of this poo poo. You don't have to wonder if parts of your phone are going to work. You don't have to concern yourself whether the community built tools, ROMs, and packages are done right. You don't have to worry about updates and whether they're break things or require a wipe and restore or anything. You can just live your life and completely not think about the operating system on your phone.

Given that now there are few if any must-have CM features and those that exist can be addressed without a ROM via Xposed, running CM is just a fool's game. It's only useful if you bought a pile of poo poo and you're trying to make it livable. Anyone else would just buy a good phone that works and leave ROMs to the losers because now there are actually good phones from which to choose.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

LastInLine posted:

The problem with CM is that it's perpetually 95% done. Even back when they actually had milestone and "stable" releases there was always something that didn't work, or worked but only part way, or failed in a very specific set of circumstances. Oh this nightly wifi drops out if you have a password that has a number 6 in it. Tonight the wifi is fixed but autobrightness will disable after a phone call until you reboot (not a big deal because you're flashing nightlies, right?) Stupid poo poo like that. The worst of course is when some bug affects you and pretty much only you because good luck waiting for that patch to get merged. At least when I was using it the device maintainers would hang around xda so if you made enough noise you might get your edge case fixed but now, lol, no.

There are other criticisms such as the pain in the dick to get Google apps to play nicely with the system and having to constantly monitor those for issues. When I last used it there were three or four consecutive GApps packages that had quirks to address, like edit this script or fix that filename, before they were usable.

As Zom Aur pointed out the reason why stock is better is because you don't have to worry about ANY of this poo poo. You don't have to wonder if parts of your phone are going to work. You don't have to concern yourself whether the community built tools, ROMs, and packages are done right. You don't have to worry about updates and whether they're break things or require a wipe and restore or anything. You can just live your life and completely not think about the operating system on your phone.

I guess I should ask for a more current response relating the current versions of CM to current stock ROMs. There aren't any of these small nuances in the current version of CM, e.g. I don't have to worry about it.

A better question to ask for someone with a G2 or similar phone, what separates Cloudy, CM, and stock currently?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

noirstronaut posted:

I think "I don't experience any of those issues" would be more than valid when we're talking about stability. Maybe I don't experience them since I use my iPhone 6 as a main phone and only have the G2 as a secondary device. Either way, I've literally never had any crippling issues like that – literally nothing like it.
That's exactly my point with quality. Issues like these and the people that experience them get ignored, because others can't reproduce them or don't care about it. "Works for me" implies that it should work for everyone, and if it doesn't, that's your problem.

Meanwhile, stock has NONE of those problems I experienced with CM. That should imply that it's not my hardware that's broken. This is why CM and custom roms are poo poo. YOU might not have any problems, but the people that do are poo poo out of luck.

I know it's hard to work out bugs the developers have never experienced themselves. That still doesn't mean the issues aren't there, and that your phone maybe can't be as reliable as it should be when you use custom roms.

As LastInLine wrote above, this isn't an unique thing either. There's always issues. Sometimes you're lucky and don't experience any bugs, most likely because it's something that you don't use often.

Best you can hope for is a build that's broken in a way you won't notice. That's just not good enough for most people.

Unless you're a hobbyist or a masochist, stay the gently caress away from the rom scene. It's just not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zom Aur posted:

There's always issues. Sometimes you're lucky and don't experience any bugs, most likely because it's something that you don't use often.

Best you can hope for is a build that's broken in a way you won't notice. That's just not good enough for most people.

Unless you're a hobbyist or a masochist, stay the gently caress away from the rom scene. It's just not worth it.

Right here in a nutshell: It's alright for you, now.

It was one thing when CM was broken in ways that was okay for me at the time plus using the stock software was also broken (or more often, so lacking in features) that it was a choice between broken with CM features or broken and lacking those features. It's quite another when you can buy a Moto or a Nexus and simply not have to trade off anything for stability. When confronted with that option it's far, far preferable to just take the thing that works and wash your hands of it.