Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah, every apartment complex I've ever lived in had strict no-grill policies whether you had a patio/balcony or not. Now I'm in a townhome with a patio that is subject to an HOA but they're totally fine with grills.

I want to grill everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

guppy posted:

Leases these days usually forbid grills on the balcony. Not that you can't quietly violate it if you want but I personally am unwilling to risk the consequences.

Also, if you could have a grill on your balcony, you could use it with or without cast iron, surely.

Yeah, of course. That is why I prefaced it with saying "if that is the style you're going for." Sometimes you want a grilled steak, sometimes a cast iron steak.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

Yeah, every apartment complex I've ever lived in had strict no-grill policies whether you had a patio/balcony or not. Now I'm in a townhome with a patio that is subject to an HOA but they're totally fine with grills.

I want to grill everything.

That's part of the international fire code, which most states/municipalities seem to adhere to.

Fake edit: The actual rule prohibits open flame cooking within 10 feet of combustible construction. One and two family dwelling units are excepted.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 12, 2015

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That's part of the international fire code, which most states/municipalities seem to adhere to.

Fake edit: The actual rule prohibits open flame cooking within 10 feet of combustible construction. One and two family dwelling units are excepted.

There are no such rules in my country, the only places I went to where bbq's were prohibited were camp sites during dry summers (which sucks, as there's no reason to go camping if you can't have an open fire).

However, over the years I did get several calls about people suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning, because they figured they could bbq inside their house...
That reminds me to check out the darwin awards website, haven't been there for a while.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Welp. A coworker asked what I was eating and after I told her it was an Iranian dish, she asked in all seriousness why I was eating "terrorist food" and walked off.

:negative:

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Tell her you're preparing for an undercover operation

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Casu Marzu posted:

Welp. A coworker asked what I was eating and after I told her it was an Iranian dish, she asked in all seriousness why I was eating "terrorist food" and walked off.

I want me some loving terrorist food. I might have to run down to Kohinoor for late lunch today. Mmmmmm...

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

JFC. I wish I didn't believe you but I did.

I recently bought an amazing Middke Eastern cookbook called Persiana, and told a chum who loves Iranian food, as I thought of him. So for my birthday he tracked down a proper Iranian rice cooker. It has a dial to set how brown you want the bottom to be. What an awesome present!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Casu Marzu posted:

Jesus.

Offer you coworker a peach and when she accepts and begins eating it, yell loudly "HA! THAT'S A PERSIAN APPLE!!! YOU TERRORIST!!"

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Midniter posted:

Jesus.

Offer you coworker a peach and when she accepts and begins eating it, yell loudly "HA! THAT'S A PERSIAN APPLE!!! YOU TERRORIST!!"

Is that a Shiraz you're drinking? You know where Shiraz is, don't you, Jihadi!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Casu Marzu posted:

I think your only real option here is to actually turn terrorist, she'll be telling that story until the day she dies.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
People don't realize that food from the middle east is delicious as gently caress. Why the hell do you think they've lived in the same loving place for thousands of years despite the environment getting worse and worse?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Libelous Slander posted:

People don't realize that food from the middle east is delicious as gently caress. Why the hell do you think they've lived in the same loving place for thousands of years despite the environment getting worse and worse?

I was waiting in YYZ a week ago, killing a long layover. Decided to get some schwarma. There were a bunch of Americans who were like "wtf is this poo poo?", but who also seemed to not like the looks of anything else in the place.

Roasted meat, with some veggies, on bread. What's so hard?

Unfortunately, it was the worst schwarma I've ever had - just like iceberg lettuce and pickles with the chicken in a pita. All of the sauce was on the side. So, those Americans will probably not have a high opinion of the beauty that is Lebanese food. gently caress Toronto, right?

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Also, what is the deal with typical American places -- think non chain Pizza places or discount steak houses also selling Greek food like Gyro or falafel?

I raised this observation with my parents when I was at dinner with them and they said, matter of factly, that the Greeks control the food industry.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

CommonShore posted:

I was waiting in YYZ a week ago, killing a long layover. Decided to get some schwarma. There were a bunch of Americans who were like "wtf is this poo poo?", but who also seemed to not like the looks of anything else in the place.

Roasted meat, with some veggies, on bread. What's so hard?

Unfortunately, it was the worst schwarma I've ever had - just like iceberg lettuce and pickles with the chicken in a pita. All of the sauce was on the side. So, those Americans will probably not have a high opinion of the beauty that is Lebanese food. gently caress Toronto, right?

Your mistake was not eating Caplansky's while at the airport, friend :v:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Paper With Lines posted:

Greeks control the food industry.

Man I hope this is true because Greek food is awesome and should be sold everywhere, all the time.

Fake edit: I bought a "Greek Salad" from Publix one time and it was what you'd expect except for a huge blob of potato salad in the middle. I even called them to tell them "I think your salad guy is high" but they explained that nope. That's just how Publix makes it and that it's a Floridian recipe. gently caress you, Florida. That was gross.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Paper With Lines posted:

Also, what is the deal with typical American places -- think non chain Pizza places or discount steak houses also selling Greek food like Gyro or falafel?

I raised this observation with my parents when I was at dinner with them and they said, matter of factly, that the Greeks control the food industry.

Where I grew up in the northeast, most diners and non-chain pizza places were owned and run by first/second/third generation Greeks and thus their native cuisine had some influence on the menu. I haven't experienced that with steakhouses, really, but it seems like when Greek people immigrated to America, starting a restaurant was just the in thing to do, regardless of the type of restaurant.

In fact, one of my best friends married a girl whose family has four or five pizzerias on the CT/NY border and are millionaires. Good for them.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Pretty well every breakfast or diner place I've been to in Illinois has been run by angry Greeks. There's always something like a Gyro Skillet dish on the menu and a salad with Black Olives and Feta,, thus making it Greek. They've also all produced terrible food.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Paper With Lines posted:

This is very true in my part of the country. The majority of diners and pizza places carry at least gyros.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

In Milwaukee, there's a few 24-hour diners run by Greeks (one is called Zorba's, even), and they're pretty awesome. They've been around forever, we call them "the Greek places" and I don't know anyone that doesn't like them. Sure there's gyros on the menu, but they're really just places to get breakfast and a glass of "house wine" at all hours. Oh, and they always have the best triple decker club sandwiches. That's my Greek restaurant story.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

Paper With Lines posted:

It's the gradual "Greekification" of American cuisine and, eventually, culture. Please watch this video to find out exactly what this means and how you can make money!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Δοκιμάστε αυτό το ένα περίεργο τέχνασμα !

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
We Jews and the Greeks came to a gentlemen's agreement: they get food, we get media. At the time this wasn't such a bad deal for them.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Croatoan posted:

Man I hope this is true because Greek food is awesome and should be sold everywhere, all the time.

Fake edit: I bought a "Greek Salad" from Publix one time and it was what you'd expect except for a huge blob of potato salad in the middle. I even called them to tell them "I think your salad guy is high" but they explained that nope. That's just how Publix makes it and that it's a Floridian recipe. gently caress you, Florida. That was gross.

I think when someone explained the concept of green salad to Publix they just went "It's all Greek to me" and started putting random poo poo on lettuce. Skip the bullshit, get the Southern Potato Salad with your fried chicken bax.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Interesting, in my neck of the woods it's the burger places that are all Greek-owned.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

it's greek-american-mexican diners here

souvlaki, burgers, huevos, etc. for pages and pages

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I've seen more than one Greek/Indian restaurant in the PNW. I ate at one today, and I've got to say that bhajia and rose lassi go really well with souvlaki.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

There's almost no good Mediterranean food in Vegas at all. What's around is mostly Lebanese. Then again I don't work in the industry, so maybe the Greeks are just being super-stealthy to avoid the attention of the culinary union or something.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

bartolimu posted:

There's almost no good Mediterranean food in Vegas at all. What's around is mostly Lebanese. Then again I don't work in the industry, so maybe the Greeks are just being super-stealthy to avoid the attention of the culinary union or something.

Wait for all the Lebanese to get drunk and fall asleep. Then watch the statues.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

We're allowed to grill at least 20' from the house, which for most people is in the parking lot and in my case is directly under a tree. So we fudge that restriction a little

wow look at me missing a whole page.

I was the GM of one of those Greek 100-page menu places. I would be neither lying nor exaggerating if I told you that I get a twinge of PTSD every time I think about that place.

Wroughtirony fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 13, 2015

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

The Midniter posted:

Where I grew up in the northeast, most diners and non-chain pizza places were owned and run by first/second/third generation Greeks and thus their native cuisine had some influence on the menu. I haven't experienced that with steakhouses, really, but it seems like when Greek people immigrated to America, starting a restaurant was just the in thing to do, regardless of the type of restaurant.

In fact, one of my best friends married a girl whose family has four or five pizzerias on the CT/NY border and are millionaires. Good for them.

Greeks are all over diners in the North East, and there's in a lot of other food industries too. But for some reason really big into Diners in the NJ/NY area. And they're crazy too!

http://www.northjersey.com/news/former-tick-tock-diner-manager-sentenced-to-8-years-in-murder-plot-1.1092335

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

The variety here is substantial. One of the breakfast places I go to is run by a Chinese lady, my favorite donair shop is two young Lebanese guys, and a lot of the fast food places are run by Philipino's. It's all over the shop.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Echeveria posted:

The variety here is substantial. One of the breakfast places I go to is run by a Chinese lady, my favorite donair shop is two young Lebanese guys, and a lot of the fast food places are run by Philipino's. It's all over the shop.

They're all Greeks in disguise.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Hey, I went to that fancier restaurant with my parents today! I thought it might not go well, because of on top of my neurosies over being in presentable society, my mom just had eye surgery yesterday and is slightly blind. But oh man. We had a great time. Everyone was nice, the server was great and helpful, and when they heard it was my birthday, they comped the deserts. Started with the duck prosciutto for a little charcuterie treat. Dad was suprised at how much he liked it. Dad then had the deconstructed lobster pot pie, which surprised him again but he loved it, mom had the great french onion soup, and I had the bouillabaisse. Served in a big ol' cast iron skillet, that was awesome. Perfectly cooked, except I usually like a little more spicy in my tomato dishes, and asked if they had anything to hot it up a bit. Bam, brought out a little dish each of sambal, sriracha, and a fresh chopped birds-eye chili. That made it perfect for me. In-House ice cream for dessert.

We have a new favorite on the list. Yay Orsay!

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

Hey, I went to that fancier restaurant with my parents today! I thought it might not go well, because of on top of my neurosies over being in presentable society, my mom just had eye surgery yesterday and is slightly blind. But oh man. We had a great time. Everyone was nice, the server was great and helpful, and when they heard it was my birthday, they comped the deserts. Started with the duck prosciutto for a little charcuterie treat. Dad was suprised at how much he liked it. Dad then had the deconstructed lobster pot pie, which surprised him again but he loved it, mom had the great french onion soup, and I had the bouillabaisse. Served in a big ol' cast iron skillet, that was awesome. Perfectly cooked, except I usually like a little more spicy in my tomato dishes, and asked if they had anything to hot it up a bit. Bam, brought out a little dish each of sambal, sriracha, and a fresh chopped birds-eye chili. That made it perfect for me. In-House ice cream for dessert.

We have a new favorite on the list. Yay Orsay!

Orsay is really a great place. Glad you got to enjoy it. I was sad when you said you were going to Mitchell's instead. The happy hour at orsay is also really good...pretty inexpensive so it doesn't need to be strictly relegated to a special occasion spot.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

You know what's pretty loving awesome if not drat near perfect? Rice krispies treats.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Why don't restaurants serve food on plates any more? Everywhere I go, it's bits of slate, chopping boards or tiles.

On the extremely rare occasion I get a plate, it's a ridiculous shape that makes the act of eating from it a tedious and awkward chore.

What's wrong with big, round, white plates?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

They lack the same wow-factor that for instance a slab of loving ice has.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Why don't restaurants serve food on plates any more? Everywhere I go, it's bits of slate, chopping boards or tiles.

On the extremely rare occasion I get a plate, it's a ridiculous shape that makes the act of eating from it a tedious and awkward chore.

This might be right up your alley

https://www.facebook.com/WeWantPlates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Scientastic posted:

In this realm, I'm fed up with "giant amount of negative space" plating. Just use a smaller plate you shitbirds.