Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadic
Sep 26, 2013

Dear god, the game has so many buggy animations, pop-in, awful NPC behavior, and awkward clipping.

I know it's "Pre-alpha" or whatever, but that means poo poo when they're releasing in five months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Shadic posted:

Dear god, the game has so many buggy animations, pop-in, awful NPC behavior, and awkward clipping.

I know it's "Pre-alpha" or whatever, but that means poo poo when they're releasing in five months.

I like the setting and all that but while it said pre-alpha it really looked like the final version of Unity but reskinned.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So for those of us who missed the live event...?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

The Iron Rose posted:

Ubisoft confirmed that Black Flag is still the only good Asscreed game and they are sorry for that mistake and it will never happen again

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

The Iron Rose posted:

Debut trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kGHHMc5dqE
Gameplay walkthrough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKR42Ci000k
Another prerendered trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKS8554XAmM

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
It felt like they were playing it very safe with what they highlighted in the video. Even with Jacob and Evie—only the biggest fedoras could possibly object to playing as a man and a woman, but they still framed it like it's just Jacob. (Unless I missed something in the minute or so where my internet cut out.)

Personally I don't care if the gameplay is new and revolutionary or not, as long as it's fun and not a total copy/paste of the previous one. I had a lot of fun with Unity, so if it has Unity as a basis with improvements/some cool extras, that works for me. Ideally it'd be like Black Flag, which improved on virtually all of my gameplay problems with AC3.

I'm sure I'll buy this, but I'll wait and see what comes in the next few months before deciding whether to wait for a price drop or not.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

effervescible posted:

It felt like they were playing it very safe with what they highlighted in the video. Even with Jacob and Evie—only the biggest fedoras could possibly object to playing as a man and a woman, but they still framed it like it's just Jacob. (Unless I missed something in the minute or so where my internet cut out.)

They mentioned her I think but in the trailer for the game it only highlights Jacob. Evie isn't shown at all in that.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Skeezy posted:

They mentioned her I think but in the trailer for the game it only highlights Jacob. Evie isn't shown at all in that.

Yeah, it was basically "Here is Evie. She's more cautious than Jacob. Let us never speak of her again!"

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Skeezy posted:

Between the leak and an Ubisoft survey last year where they specifically asked for people's opinions on being able to switch between a male and female Assassin, I believe that she's going to be playable, though not necessarily as a 50/50 split in story missions. That makes the launch seem even more safe, if it's true—they avoided highlighting a fairly sizable change and stuck with the tried and true gameplay updates. Hopefully that means they're sitting on more interesting stuff, because even if I don't need the game to have SUPER INNOVATIVE!!! additions, I'd like to be able to get excited as opposed to "yeah that looks all right, I'll get it sometime."

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

This game will be like every other Asscreed game in the series that wasn't black flag: garbage for idiots

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
ENGAGE STEALTH MODE!

*removes Top Hat*

Eh, I'm actually really looking forward to this.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

effervescible posted:

Between the leak and an Ubisoft survey last year where they specifically asked for people's opinions on being able to switch between a male and female Assassin, I believe that she's going to be playable, though not necessarily as a 50/50 split in story missions. That makes the launch seem even more safe, if it's true—they avoided highlighting a fairly sizable change and stuck with the tried and true gameplay updates. Hopefully that means they're sitting on more interesting stuff, because even if I don't need the game to have SUPER INNOVATIVE!!! additions, I'd like to be able to get excited as opposed to "yeah that looks all right, I'll get it sometime."

Gamespot suggests it'll be GTAV style: You can play as either during free-roam, but missions will lock you in. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/everything-we-know-about-assassin-s-creed-syndicat/1100-6427215/

quote:

"Although some story missions are designed for either Jacob or Evie, most of the time you’ll be able to choose which twin to play as. Both have their own skill trees, offering up two unique individuals to develop."

Why they didn't mention this I have no idea.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

This game will be like every other Asscreed game in the series that wasn't black flag: garbage for idiots

Yeah but will it be new and interesting garbage, that's all I want as an idiot player.

Stealthed Zombie posted:

Gamespot suggests it'll be GTAV style: You can play as either during free-roam, but missions will lock you in. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/everything-we-know-about-assassin-s-creed-syndicat/1100-6427215/

I'm down for that as long as it's not 100% "story mission time? PENIS REQUIRED"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

that gameplay walkthrough bored the poo poo out of me. really all they did was go through an incredibly generic mission, and the only difference was in the grapple. Also lol for integrating a very rudimentary grapple in the same year that Just Cause 3 is going to blow the poo poo out of AC's grappling mechanic.

it's kind of a shame because all this basically told me is that even with a cooler setting, it's still the same old bullshit we've seen for years and people are are likely finally tired of it. The Victorian setting would be interesting but now they're even inventing ways to bypass the unique architecture. By the time this comes out I'll have Batman and MGS5 so what can this new AC possibly bring to the table? Both of those games plus JC3 will probably do everything better.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Eurogamer posted:

Syndicate will be the first Assassin's Creed game set in a properly post-Industrial era. Think of London but with an impoverished working class, dirty living conditions and general despair among the poor. Now rewind around a century from 2015 and you're there.

It's funny because it's true.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Stealthed Zombie posted:

Why they didn't mention this I have no idea.

Because either its trivial to the point of who cares or #gamergate twitter bomb fear

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Meh. It looks like a lot more of the same as Unity to me.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I'm still meh about Syndicate but I am a sucker for wrist mounted grappling hooks.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Because either its trivial to the point of who cares or #gamergate twitter bomb fear

I just think it's funny because of the whole thing last year, that's all.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It looks okay I guess.

That's all I can really say about it. It looks better than Unity and 3 but that's not much of an accomplishment, but doesn't look nearly as cool as Black Flag.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

black flag fukking owned

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

It's annoying because I still like the Desmond storyline stuff. I want more of that.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Tsietisin posted:

It's annoying because I still like the Desmond storyline stuff. I want more of that.

Yeah but he's kinda dead now. Unless you mean the Juno stuff.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I still want more Subject 16 puzzles :(

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Black Flag wasn't that great outside of the boat bits

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Lord Lambeth posted:

I think people like it because Edward didn't really give a crap about being a capital-A Assassin.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

AC peaked with AC2 and then kept it going with AC4 for a time but literally the only thing they've changed since then is 1) now you can crouch 2) now you can climb down. Oh I guess top hats and limited grapplings too but that's it. AC4 was good solely because it completely changed how you travel, what the world feels like, and so on. Ubisoft could literally ditch the assassin poo poo, take 2 years, and make the best pirate game ever made but they're retarded so they won't.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I like the guy's design but I haven't seen the lady's since I'm at work and was only able to see one video.
How many times will we see the I'm a brash, sort of idealistic guy who becomes an assassin for my own selfish purposes but after tremendous hardships learn to respect and embody the Creed?

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Black Flag was great just for its setting and piratey activities, but one of the things that really stuck with me about it is the emotional journey Edward went through, from an absolute(ly entertaining) dickhead to a guy who more or less ruined his own life and learned to live for something greater while not being able to get back what was lost. The sequence with him going on a massive bender of despair was fantastically well-done.

These are my unnecessarily earnest thoughts about Stabby Parkour: The Series.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

AC3 will always be the worst because they took about the ability to throat stab random peeps

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I mean I know we know very little of the plot but the trailer made me feel that Jacob is gonna be all for the people guvna but more for me

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

effervescible posted:

Black Flag was great just for its setting and piratey activities, but one of the things that really stuck with me about it is the emotional journey Edward went through, from an absolute(ly entertaining) dickhead to a guy who more or less ruined his own life and learned to live for something greater while not being able to get back what was lost. The sequence with him going on a massive bender of despair was fantastically well-done.

yeah agreed, it was nice that you were a dude who barely gave a poo poo and became a part of it by accident. they should have done even more with that but as is, it was a welcome departure from the sanctimonious crap the main series had. The pirate stuff was so great it makes me wonder why we couldn't have a big pirate game series instead.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

AC3 will always be the worst because they took about the ability to throat stab random peeps

Counterpoint: it let us pet dogs :3:

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I still want more Subject 16 puzzles :(

Are these the ones that had like the "Hidden Image Puzzle" and Ciphers and other fun puzzly stuff? That you activated by touching the symbols you saw through eagle vision on buildings and such?

If so, I really liked those. I'm one of those weird people who kind of liked most of the sci-fi stuff anyway. I loved Black Flag, INCLUDING the "You're making a game" poo poo.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

effervescible posted:

Counterpoint: it let us pet dogs :3:

rather stab them

I was only allowed to shoot them which wasn't as satisfying

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Stealthed Zombie posted:

Are these the ones that had like the "Hidden Image Puzzle" and Ciphers and other fun puzzly stuff? That you activated by touching the symbols you saw through eagle vision on buildings and such?

If so, I really liked those. I'm one of those weird people who kind of liked most of the sci-fi stuff anyway. I loved Black Flag, INCLUDING the "You're making a game" poo poo.

Yes, yes they are. I loved the conspiracy theory stuff in those, and I too am one of those weird people who likes the sci-fi stuff like working at Ubisoft Abstergo Entertainment in Black Flag/Rogue.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

effervescible posted:

Which is basically the same reason I liked Ezio. Ubiosft stop trying to write your protagonists, you're no good at it.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

AC VI owned since desmond was dead and you weren't truly a stupid rear end assassin

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Calaveron posted:

I like the guy's design but I haven't seen the lady's since I'm at work and was only able to see one video.
How many times will we see the I'm a brash, sort of idealistic guy who becomes an assassin for my own selfish purposes but after tremendous hardships learn to respect and embody the Creed?
The Gamestop preview says Jacob and Evie were raised as Assassins so maybe not? They'll probably do the same thing anyway though. I'll still play it because I'm a sucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I like that they seem to go all-in with the whole "mustaches and top hats" aesthetic. :v:

• Locked thread