Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Space-Bird posted:

Can someone please explain Foster City to me?

Probably going to get liquidated if another huge earthquake hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Space-Bird posted:

You can't go to a restaurant and just eat spices and savory meats. You also have to have some flavorless bread or other carbs to put that on. That's Foster City.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Space-Bird posted:

San Mateo Jr.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Space-Bird posted:

A bedroom community with attached large shopping center built on the confluence of Highways 92 and 101. Much of the housing fronts waterways, making it highly valuable. Most of it sits on bay mud and landfill, making it in theory quite vulnerable in a quake, as Jerry pointed out; on the other hand, most of it is fairly modern structures, so they were built with earthquake safety in mind. Most of foster city is at just a couple feet above high tide, though, so global sea rise is going to be a problem. Officially the city's elevation is 3 feet.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

FCKGW posted:

They're just getting started, Ontario is expected to add about 200, 000 residents over the next 20 years.

All the dairy farms are selling while the selling's good and moving to the central valley instead.

Ontario: "technically" "southern".

squelch
Mar 8, 2005

KILL KILL KILL HURR

FCKGW posted:

They're just getting started, Ontario is expected to add about 200, 000 residents over the next 20 years.

All the dairy farms are selling while the selling's good and moving to the central valley instead.

As if there weren't enough people on the IE freeways as it is now.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Rah! posted:

Chinese San Mateo Jr.

There we go. That's better.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rah! posted:

San Mateo Jr.

Also has creepy beginning of 28 Days Later vibe it.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

squelch posted:

As if there weren't enough people on the IE freeways as it is now.

And the 91 had that no compete agreement so its been clogged forevveerrrrrrrr.

TildeATH posted:

Why don't you just take the train?
I still need a car to get to the station in a timely manner. Once I get off the train near work I'd need to bike, or bus to work. All start becoming horribly impracticable if I have unexpected overtime and for normal days I'd need to get back home ASAP to take care of my kids so my wife can work. It's just easier to drive.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 12, 2015

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
double post

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Ok, all the boats/water access in foster city are freaking me out. I've flown into SF at least 40 times, but this is the first time I've ever flown in seeing Foster City? and all those snakey weird inlets, water and houses that have bay access? It seriously spooked me out... I guess it was just a weird happenstance of sitting on the right side of the plane at the right time on a window seat...

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Space-Bird posted:

Ok, all the boats/water access in foster city are freaking me out. I've flown into SF at least 40 times, but this is the first time I've ever flown in seeing Foster City? and all those snakey weird inlets, water and houses that have bay access? It seriously spooked me out... I guess it was just a weird happenstance of sitting on the right side of the plane at the right time on a window seat...

The weird thing about those snakey inlets is they don't have any bay access for boats, even though the bay is right there...so if you live there, you can have a dock in your backyard with a boat (like many people do), but you can only go boating in the man made inlets that run behind everyone's houses. Seems like a waste of a boat to keep it there.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Oh god drat this drought. I always lol when the "agriculture takes up 80% of the water!" meme gets dropped. I've heard this bullshit many many times. Why does EVERYONE believe this?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Oh god drat this drought. I always lol when the "agriculture takes up 80% of the water!" meme gets dropped. I've heard this bullshit many many times. Why does EVERYONE believe this?

Like data and poo poo?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I WISH everyone believed it. The problem seems to be that not everyone DOES believe it.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Meme?

http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/water-and-drought/article17268866.html

http://abcnews.go.com/News/californias-drought-plan-lays-off-agriculture-oil-industries/story?id=30087832

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/03/30/how-growers-gamed-california-s-drought.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/08/us/californias-water-conservation-slowed-in-february.html?_r=1

The only people arguing about it are right wing rags who are harping on about how "environmental regulations" are the real water problem.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

That's 70-80% of developed water, not total Californian water, which is a big difference.

The issue is, it doesn't really matter what % of water Ag uses, it's a rather meaningless metric. Efficacy and effieicncy matter much more. California's strict rules on the use fresh water for power plant cooling skews water use towards Ag when compared to other states.

Want Ag to use a small % of total water? Use more in power plants! :downs:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Trabisnikof posted:

The issue is, it doesn't really matter what % of water Ag uses, it's a rather meaningless metric.

Not when you're in the middle of a drought.

"Oh hey we need to reduce water consumption but 80% of it is untouchable, whoops!"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

computer parts posted:

Not when you're in the middle of a drought.

"Oh hey we need to reduce water consumption but 80% of it is untouchable, whoops!"

But that's patently false, we've already massively reduced the amount of water Ag is getting this year, for example the CVP didn't allocate any water to Ag this year.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I think one of the points is "80%" is meaningless when you don't know the specific quantity consumed. Everyone in the state, including agriculture, could reduce their water use by 50%, and the metrics would still show agriculture at 80% even though in pure amounts, they'd have saved the most. It's useful as a one-time metric on what to tackle first, but going forward, unless you know what specific amounts of water are being used where, it's hard to use in any sort of comparison.

Given the above "everyone cuts by 50%" scenario, it's very very easy to see people who are bad at math saying "AGRICULTURE IS STILL AT 80%?! WTF, I THOUGHT THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO START USING LESS WATER".

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 12, 2015

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

So what you are saying is that 80% of 50% is the same thing as 80% of 100%? :psyduck:

I'm not very good at math. Maybe you should walk me through this.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

The issue is, it doesn't really matter what % of water Ag uses, it's a rather meaningless metric. Efficacy and effieicncy matter much more. California's strict rules on the use fresh water for power plant cooling skews water use towards Ag when compared to other states.

It is a useful metric when they are talking about requiring usage reductions for only some users. Requiring that usage be reduced by 50% doesn't sound as great when that reduction requirement only applies to a small fraction of the total stuff being consumed.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

withak posted:

It is a useful metric when they are talking about requiring usage reductions for only some users. Requiring that usage be reduced by 50% doesn't sound as great when that reduction requirement only applies to a small fraction of the total stuff being consumed.

Are you telling me that having to ask for a glass of water in a restaurant instead of it automatically being brought to me, isnt actually going to help the drought?

Mind=Blown

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Are you telling me that having to ask for a glass of water in a restaurant instead of it automatically being brought to me, isnt actually going to help the drought?

Mind=Blown

Do you actually have some point to make, or are you just being contrarian for kicks?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Mind=Blown

Even if we didn't use any water at all there would still be a drought.

Mind=Blown

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The 80% statistic is kind of a red herring. What is important is that a huge amount of the water used for agriculture in California, is used to grow water-intensive cash crops for export. Export out of the country, often.

We don't need to be growing alfalfa in California. Our water-intensive nut orchards could be repurposed for less water-intensive crops. And no, reducing the cash-crop output of California would not impact our economy significantly, because ag is only 2% of CA's total economy.

But we have a system in place that encourages these cash crops. The net output of pistachios has been rising in recent years even as we've plunged into a multi-year drought. When we're talking about water conservation efforts, surely we should aim for the, ahem, low-hanging fruit? That includes wasteful water usage wherever it exists, including residential. But it ought to also include some kind of system that would discourage water-intensive cash crops, and it plainly does not.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I still need a car to get to the station in a timely manner. Once I get off the train near work I'd need to bike, or bus to work. All start becoming horribly impracticable if I have unexpected overtime and for normal days I'd need to get back home ASAP to take care of my kids so my wife can work. It's just easier to drive.

It's easier to leave the house at 4am and then sleep in my car than take a bike on the train. I am SoCal.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
If we didn't grow pistachios we'd be losing one of the strongest donor class proponents for war with Iran so that's unacceptable </migfsay>

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Leperflesh posted:

The 80% statistic is kind of a red herring. What is important is that a huge amount of the water used for agriculture in California, is used to grow water-intensive cash crops for export. Export out of the country, often.

We don't need to be growing alfalfa in California. Our water-intensive nut orchards could be repurposed for less water-intensive crops. And no, reducing the cash-crop output of California would not impact our economy significantly, because ag is only 2% of CA's total economy.

But we have a system in place that encourages these cash crops. The net output of pistachios has been rising in recent years even as we've plunged into a multi-year drought. When we're talking about water conservation efforts, surely we should aim for the, ahem, low-hanging fruit? That includes wasteful water usage wherever it exists, including residential. But it ought to also include some kind of system that would discourage water-intensive cash crops, and it plainly does not.

Are you saying that a government subsidy caused an unintended consequence? Hmm... that usually doesn't happen. Do you think if the government stopped messing with free market water prices, we might not be growing such water intensive crops in the middle of the desert? That kind of makes sense, I guess. What do you guys think?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Are you saying that a government subsidy caused an unintended consequence? Hmm... that usually doesn't happen. Do you think if the government stopped messing with free market water prices, we might not be growing such water intensive crops in the middle of the desert? That kind of makes sense, I guess. What do you guys think?

Well, seeing how most of the problems has to do with the existing water rights system rather than say, direct subsidizes, I don't actually think your point follows.

Honestly, California just has to adjust to the fact that the state grew based on two faulty points:

1. That natural water flows are "wasted" and thus we grew assuming 0% allocation for environmental needs until courts forced otherwise. 40-50% of total water gets allocated to natural flows now.

2. Water allocations are based on historical wet period numbers. Now that the wet period has passed, there just won't be enough water to meet all of the previous allocations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Simplest thing is to make all or part of the ag industry pay full price for their water. The invisible hand will probably correct the situation rapidly.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Trabisnikof posted:

Well, seeing how most of the problems has to do with the existing water rights system rather than say, direct subsidizes, I don't actually think your point follows.

Honestly, California just has to adjust to the fact that the state grew based on two faulty points:

1. That natural water flows are "wasted" and thus we grew assuming 0% allocation for environmental needs until courts forced otherwise. 40-50% of total water gets allocated to natural flows now.

2. Water allocations are based on historical wet period numbers. Now that the wet period has passed, there just won't be enough water to meet all of the previous allocations.

40% of federal farm subsidies in California go to cotton and rice growers. Not sure if rice is a good crop to grow in the middle of the desert.

Sounds like this entire problem can be summed up as: "unintended consequences of government regulation". Is that a fair assessment?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

It wasn't a subsidy it was water restrictions having the unintended consequence of encouraging high value export crops. Basically farmers maximize $/gallon of water. The invisible hand of the market is fisting us again.

I suppose we could remove the restrictions and hope the farmers act responsibly for the greater good of their own accord.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

40% of federal farm subsidies in California go to cotton and rice growers. Not sure if rice is a good crop to grow in the middle of the desert.

Sounds like this entire problem can be summed up as: "unintended consequences of government regulation". Is that a fair assessment?

The area wherr most rice is grown (Sacramento and points north) in California is not a desert.
In fact, much of rice is grown in areas that were seasonally flooded and were wetlands. The reasonbthey aren't now us a combination of flood control and water diversions down south.
Also, the crop everyone shouldbget mad about is Alfalfa. It takes a huge amount of water, can be grown anywhere, and a huge amount of it is exported. It isbofteb grown in the driest places like the Imperial Valley.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Are you putting up all those signs on 5?
You're obviously coming at this with a preconceived notion of who is to blame, as if the government just happened to gently caress up an benefit all those wealthy land owners by chance.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Do subsidies and regulations change behavior? I thought that was their purpose.

I guess they don't change behavior in agriculture. That makes sense. If they don't change behavior though, why have them?

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Family Values posted:

It wasn't a subsidy it was water restrictions having the unintended consequence of encouraging high value export crops. Basically farmers maximize $/gallon of water. The invisible hand of the market is fisting us again.

I suppose we could remove the restrictions and hope the farmers act responsibly for the greater good of their own accord.

Wouldn't this just incentivize Ag to exhaust the current water supply as quickly as possible, probably leading to some sort of major ecological collapse before more efficient systems are put in place. I guess that's sort of happening anyway... There's no way out. :smith:

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Space-Bird posted:

Wouldn't this just incentivize Ag to exhaust the current water supply as quickly as possible, probably leading to some sort of major ecological collapse before more efficient systems are put in place. I guess that's sort of happening anyway... There's no way out. :smith:

Do government water regulations create incentives? I'm not sure that they do. I don't think the government regulations change behavior very much.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Space-Bird posted:

It was sarcasm. I debated adding a smiley but thought it was obvious enough without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Do government water regulations create incentives? I'm not sure that they do. I don't think the government regulations change behavior very much.

Make a point