Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

I lost everything too. It must have something to do with this Respect Sale ads that now pop up EVERYWHERE. I don't want to have to reinstall everything....I lost that awesome extension too and I can't remember what it was called either. Also, where the hell can I get SA Last Read? I can't remember that either...

edit: Found SALR. Check out your add-ons in Chrome, there were two things installed for this ad bullshit. Also check out control panel and go to uninstall programs, I found two things that were installed today that appeared to be ad related too. Even Netflix is riddled with this poo poo.

I apparently still have it installed on Chrome on my macbook so I just found it. The version I have installed here is called FastestFox for Chrome, but I don't see anything close to it on the Chrome extensions page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
So the update today has broken chrome compatibility with silverlight- I found the NPAPI flag in chrome://flags and enabled it, but silverlight hasn;t appeared back in chrome://plugins

any ideas?

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
Found that I had to "relaunch chrome" after changing the flag.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

newtestleper posted:

So the update today has broken chrome compatibility with silverlight- I found the NPAPI flag in chrome://flags and enabled it, but silverlight hasn;t appeared back in chrome://plugins

any ideas?

Get used to it; Google's cutting the NPAPI interface out of Chrome entirely by September.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
What are you still using Silverlight for?

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Get used to it; Google's cutting the NPAPI interface out of Chrome entirely by September.

Yeah we know that. The company I work for is moving to HTML5 currently.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I got some dumb spyware poo poo that deleted all my chrome data. I was able to sync it back but lost all my extension settings. This happened before and when it synced I got the extension data back as well. Anything else I can do here? I did get my bookmarks and such. Windows has a built in rewind feature, right?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
windows has no built in rewind that is enabled by default, if you mean windows restore points those don't cover these type of things. stop getting spyware!!

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I got some dumb spyware poo poo that deleted all my chrome data. I was able to sync it back but lost all my extension settings. This happened before and when it synced I got the extension data back as well. Anything else I can do here? I did get my bookmarks and such. Windows has a built in rewind feature, right?

Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 all have system refresh which is basically resinstalling from disc but without deleting personal files. There is also a reinstall windows and delete all files built in as well. Neither of these will help you.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah windows 8 has a feature but it's disabled by default :downs:

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

How about that new bookmark manager

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Oh I loving love it. Totally useful and not cumbersome at all.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
I've had that horrible thing disabled for months, glad to hear they ignored the 99% negative feedback and finally pushed it to the stable channel.

https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/chrome/4Vnk-NTJ5Gw/e1Whtij2Z-wJ
https://productforums.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!topic/chrome/4Vnk-NTJ5Gw%5B1-25%5D

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I've not had a chance to actually use it because I disabled it LONG ago.

I tried to enable it again JUST to try it but it stays disabled no matter what. Not sure why... :v:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm having a weird bug when I put my cursor over any links - the url at the bottom of the screen is totally illegible.

And it's not just on the forums, it's any link anywhere.

EDIT - found it. It was the theme I was using :doh:

Any theme by this one guy "Skarv" seems to cause this. Which is a pity, because otherwise his Aero styles are quite nice.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 29, 2015

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Hey look! They borrowed the one thing from Opera that I can't stand about Opera!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I've just downloaded uMatrix for Chrome and I'm having a problem where spoiler tags on forum posts won't clear when I mouse over them.

I can still see the text beneath if I highlight it, but the black bar stays in place.

Everything under somethingawful.com is green under uMatrix. Any idea on what might be going on?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

So which is the "good" uBlock? uBlock or uBlock Origins? I can't keep up on all the extension developer drama, and have no idea why there was a schism...

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
The way I read it:

The developer of uBlock (Raymond Hill/gorhill) deemed uBlock feature complete, thus only planned on doing bugfixes onward.
A fork of uBlock was made by Chris Aljoudi/chrismatic, with a very public blessing of Raymond Hill, as Chris wanted to keep developing it.
Hill then renamed his original version to uBlock Origin.

Seems like the drama comes from Chris first adding a donation link and then on his website wrote something like "Brought to you by Chris" which led people to 1-star his fork on the Chrome store and and accusing him of all kinds of thing. The text has been fixed to state "Brought to you by all uBlock contributors.Project currently managed by Chris." with links to all the contributors.

As long as it's open source and there are enough nerds watching over it, I honestly don't really care which version is installed on my PC (currently using uBlock). It's only when they start selling ad space of whatever Adblock plus started doing, that I'd be worried.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So I got my mom a Kindle Fire for mother's day, because she has a Nook and I'd like her to be able to play games on it. I got Chrome on there, but even though it loads, every time I try to sign in I'm booted back to the home page of the Kindle. The gently caress am I doing wrong?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
I think it needs Google Play Services these days.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
drat. No other way to import the bookmarks and password?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
try using chromium ( https://download-chromium.appspot.com/ )

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
e: uhhh nevermind I just fixed it apparently

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I have a weird Chrome problem. I googled it, and Google has heard of this issue before... but way back in like version 21 or something. Old.

The problem. Sometimes videos will unexpectedly pause. They buffer, you just can't play them anymore. It simply doesn't work.

And/or the sound simply does not work. The video will play, but suddenly the sound will cut out. I mistakenly thought I had the video or my speakers muted, but nope. It just doesn't work.

Then I thought maybe it was the site. I went to youtube. Same thing there.

Is anyone else having this problem? Chrome stable, fully up to date. Flash fully up to date. OS fully up to date. Drivers fully up to date.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
I've got a really niche question...

I do QA work and I need to drop into fresh incognito windows frequently. Whenever I open one and kick open the dev tools, it ALWAYS starts vertically on the right sidebar. I am in the console within the tools much of the time, and the vertical docking of the tools isn't very useful.

Is there a switch I'm able to set at startup that'll default the dev tools - in incognito mode in a fresh window - to open at the bottom of the browser horizontally?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

So what is th best free vpn extension theses days? Hola seems a bit poo poo

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe
Just a couple small questions:

1. For some reason, Netflix refuses to play in HD in Chrome. It works fine in Firefox and other browsers, but Chrome hates HD for some reason. I've tried manually forcing the bitrate to max, switching over from Silverlight to HTML5, but it still doesn't work. Anyone have similar issues?
2. Despite having checked "Click to play" for plugins, videos for various news websites will still autoplay and it's incredibly annoying. I've resorted to manually blocking them with AdBlock, but why the gently caress does video still autoplay?

I'm running Version 42.0.2311.135 m (64-bit), on Windows 7, and I'm on the stable channel. I've never, ever touched the about://flags settings so all those *should* be defaulted.

Thanks for any and all help!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I never bothered watching 4k60fps YouTube content, but I did just recently and noticed it runs choppy in Chrome on my maxed out mid-2012 MacBook Air (Core i7, 8GB RAM). Weird thing is, when I play the same video in Safari at 4k60fps, it runs just fine (and looks amazing). Is the poo poo 4k playback in Chrome on Mac a known issue that's being looked at? Does or has anyone else experienced the same?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Safari would be using MP4, Chrome would run with VP9 or VP8, so it is a matter of codec implementation.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

New bookmarks suck

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

MrMoo posted:

Safari would be using MP4, Chrome would run with VP9 or VP8, so it is a matter of codec implementation.

Ahh, ok. So it's just Chrome and VP9 being poo poo on Mac OS. Got it.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

New bookmarks suck
I just installed an app or extension (whats the difference?) called dewey, and its awesome. Its the best book marks manager I have come across since it works with pre existing chrome bookmarks and keeps adding them simple.
You can easily search and add tags to all your bookmarks, but one of the cool things it does is treat all folders and sub folders as a tag. So all those old cat videos I have under videos/funny/cats will show up a search for videos, funny, or cats.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Awesome I'll definitely check that out. My bookmarks are a mess.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

New bookmarks suck

I struggled for several minutes to remove a bookmark so I can move it to a folder using the browser-UI not the manager, when all it was giving me was some odd back arrow. I love those moments when you feel helpless and confused just like Grandma using Windows 98 on an infected eMachine.

I learned my lesson though, no more using bookmarks. Thank you Chrome.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Why the hell does Chrome sometimes throw a "No disk in drive" error upon opening it on a newly built computer?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dewey sounded useful until Chrome slowed down after installing :v:

Yes, I turned off screenshots off for each bookmark.

Anyone have their extensions fail to load for no reason? Restarting Chrome helps but just I have no idea why as I don't have that many in the first place. No comment for the new bookmark manager.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Anyone else have Google Play Music act weird?

I have All-Access, so I'm not sure if that matters, but when I'm playing a playlist or radio station, the currently playing song doesn't update at the bottom of the screen. It'll just continually show the info for the first song played even though it is actually playing the other songs in the playlist.

Works fine in IE...

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I haven't noticed that issue myself, let me give it a try.

E: Works fine for me. Time to start troubleshooting extensions I guess.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Anyone else have Google Play Music act weird?

I have All-Access, so I'm not sure if that matters, but when I'm playing a playlist or radio station, the currently playing song doesn't update at the bottom of the screen. It'll just continually show the info for the first song played even though it is actually playing the other songs in the playlist.

Works fine in IE...

I'm having this same issue too. I've checked my extensions already but none of them have caused any issues so I don't know.