Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Adam Bowen posted:

That's true too. My personal theory for Rose's behavior is that the AI was programmed by Otaconesque geeks who have literally no idea what women are like so they just fed the computer a bunch of Cathy comics and romantic comedies and let it create a personality based on that. Because of that the Rose AI only has two modes - talk about chocolate or bitch about relationship.

well that's true, she's a character made by game devs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I always liked Rose, she was really good at being one of the first "weird" things about the Plant mission. Especially after Mei Ling was fawning all over you in MGS1.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Alain Post posted:

I always liked Rose, she was really good at being one of the first "weird" things about the Plant mission. Especially after Mei Ling was fawning all over you in MGS1.

With Ling, it was Bond-esque codec flirting. With Rose it was decidedly not. I guess that was sort of the point.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I really hope MGS 5's ending is just like nukes fall everyone dies, TIME PARADOX. It would be hilarious and a great ending for the series.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Oh man I'm actually pretty scared for the plight of MGS5. It's looking very plausible that a lot of controversial content may be cut before release (child soldiers, snake possibly being bisexual, etc) to make it a more viable product than a piece of art (which is not to say it would have been good with those things but I know it will be worse off without them).

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

video games aren't art, especially metal gear solid

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Stux posted:

video games aren't art, especially metal gear solid

You are very cool, my man.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
Metal Gear Solid 5 is going to be really cool, I'm hoping the CQC system will be as advanced as the one in in MGS4.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shayu posted:

Metal Gear Solid 5 is going to be really cool, I'm hoping the CQC system will be as advanced as the one in in MGS4.

The core moveset is probably identical to ground zeroes

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Just popping in to say I bought all the Jedi Academy or whatever games off of Steam during that one sale and I'm playing Dark Forces and oh my GOD I forgot how much lovely backtracking and mazelike levels there were in DOS games :argh:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pretty sure Dark Forces is the absolute loving worst for that though, Doom and Duke Nukem 3D had nothing on it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Dark Forces 2 was hard for kid me but once I got Light Side Healing and Force Field it was a breeze.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Rose was based on Kojima's wife. particularly her obession with Raiden not remembering the day they met, according to the MGS2 documentary if I remember correctly.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

B33rChiller posted:

Quick question here.
Can someone point me in the right direction to understand what the hell is going on with the story in Metal Gear Rising: Revengence?

I've only really played a couple Metal Gear games, which was the first one on the NES, and Metal Gear Solid (I think) I blanked out on the series after the first playstation metal gear, and now, I see the game is suddenly a cyborg ninja beat 'em up?
If my question would be better asked elsewhere, please do tell.

theres a scene in MGS4 where cyborg raiden stops a full sized battleship by digging his heels into the dirt a little bit

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
He also has the most homoerotic fight ever with Vamp.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Here's the compilation - spoilers for 2,4, and Rising
http://youtu.be/-ar8JxoKvRc

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
hi this seems to be the only thread appropriate for this:

i loving hate idiots in NBA 2K that take contested 3s every time they get the ball instead of doing literally anything useful

that is all

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

the actual truth is that kojima really never gave a poo poo about the consistency of the plot, he just wanted to make games where you do cool poo poo. and with each game his dedication to explaining the plot has lessened, resulting in tons of plot holes and with MGS5 he just flat out said "at this point i don't really give a poo poo if things in this game contradict canon, i'm building you a cool loving game"

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Revengeance had a better story than most MGS games Kojima worked on so I'm not too worried. If anything I'd be more worried about Konami trying way too hard to be weird for wierdness' sake and failing horribly, like the second season if Twin Peaks after David Lynch left and they were doing monkey cheese bullshit like civil war generals and souls trapped in doorknobs.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Lol if you don't think Konami won't just hand over MGS to a Western shovelware developer to pump out pay to pay mobile games for them if they do anything else with the series.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Excels posted:

the actual truth is that kojima really never gave a poo poo about the consistency of the plot, he just wanted to make games where you do cool poo poo. and with each game his dedication to explaining the plot has lessened, resulting in tons of plot holes and with MGS5 he just flat out said "at this point i don't really give a poo poo if things in this game contradict canon, i'm building you a cool loving game"

He's generally been a gameplay first designer but he always fancied himself as someone mature enough o handle certain topics in games that haven't been explored before (whether he ever accomplished those things respectfully and effectively is a completely different issue).

I want to see Kojima do loving stupid poo poo w/r/t the inclusion of literal children with guns instead of Konami relegating all of that to a handful of cutscenes.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
My artistic vision demands that children be killable in this video game damnit

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

bloodychill posted:

My artistic vision demands that children be killable in this video game damnit

There's a mod for that

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/37660/

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

Lol if you don't think Konami won't just hand over MGS to a Western shovelware developer to pump out pay to pay mobile games for them if they do anything else with the series.

low on ammo? instantly reload your gun now for 1.99$

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bicyclops posted:

i've got all 201 gold bananas, and all the regular bananas, and the medals and crowns and banana fairies and everything, and now all i have left to do in DK64 is to beat up King Krusha K. Rool in his boxing match.

You're full of poo poo. Post a screenshot with today's newspaper.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

You're full of poo poo. Post a screenshot with today's newspaper.

i';m not doing that, but if it helps, i cheated mercilessly using the single save state that they give you. Beaver Bother is a lot easier if you do it in 10 second increments.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i beat K Rool last night and i have to admit it feels very anticlimactic somehow after getting all the stuff. the real end of the game is when you get the final gold banana from getting all the banana fairies.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
My favorite part of the ending of Donkey Kong 64 was when they distracted K. Rool with monkey boobs.

No matter how horribly flawed it is, I will always love DK64.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I used the save states for him too, because no way am I not cheating at every single one of the rocketbarrell blast portions of the game.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.

Bicyclops posted:

I used the save states for him too, because no way am I not cheating at every single one of the rocketbarrell blast portions of the game.

Times like this where I wonder how I had the loving patience to 100% DK64 as a kid.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

NT Plus posted:

Times like this where I wonder how I had the loving patience to 100% DK64 as a kid.

because u had no friends?

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Oh yeah. Good times. A grand portion of my time is spent these days trying to find drat good co-op games that my friends and I haven't already played to death. The kicker being one of said friends is picky to an absolute fault and will not pay for anything that's not on sale. :toot:

NT Plus fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 12, 2015

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

NT Plus posted:

Oh yeah. Good times. A grand portion of my time is spent these days trying to find drat good co-op games that my friends and I haven't already played to death. The kicker being my friend is picky to an absolute fault and will not pay for anything that's not on sale. :toot:

ur friend sounds like trash

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Hello guys, quick question but does anyone know if there is a thread about the various "Choice of" games to see if they are any good? Got a bit burned on the last one I bought and do not want to waste even a small amount of money at the moment.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Josef bugman posted:

Hello guys, quick question but does anyone know if there is a thread about the various "Choice of" games to see if they are any good? Got a bit burned on the last one I bought and do not want to waste even a small amount of money at the moment.

ask in the Android gaming thread, there's been talk of them there

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Is there a good Tennis game for the PC that's easy to actually obtain?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

KaosMachina posted:

Is there a good Tennis game for the PC that's easy to actually obtain?

http://www.ponggame.org/pong.swf

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

I said Tennis, not Ping Pong.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

RoanHorse posted:

He's generally been a gameplay first designer but he always fancied himself as someone mature enough o handle certain topics in games that haven't been explored before (whether he ever accomplished those things respectfully and effectively is a completely different issue).

I want to see Kojima do loving stupid poo poo w/r/t the inclusion of literal children with guns instead of Konami relegating all of that to a handful of cutscenes.

I'm willing to give Kojima the benefit of the doubt when it comes to at least attempting to discuss serious topics in his games. Before MGS4 I don't think he'd really crossed any particularly egregious lines. In fact, I rather enjoyed that Kojima was willing and able to comment on various topics from a perspective very outside of my own, with a whole different set of morals behind it. There's a lot going on in every Metal Gear Solid storyline. It gets goofy at times, but at the core of the games are a lot of interesting concepts that are generally explored in a lot of interesting ways. "Respectful" isn't a term I'd generally want to assign to any particular piece of work, as it implies that something is left out in order to appeal to somebody's sensibilities. There are, as with anything, exceptions and variations on that, but regardless, I think Kojima COULD tell a good plot, with enough nuance and imagery and metaphor and whatever you may want to add complexity to it. Metal Gear Solid, the original PSX game, is still fantastic. The voice acting, direction, the interconnected gameplay and story elements, all of that are just fantastic, still to this day. The game even manages to avoid the signs of age in terms of graphics--the blocky playstation models are just stylized enough that they're perfectly coherent and even rather charming in this day of HD graphics (which the series pioneers anyway). I'd suggest people check out on youtube Matthewmatosis' reviews of the Metal Gear series, he actually does fairly detailed plot analysis of the games and he showcases a lot of hidden depth to what's going on in the process.

It's why I'm sad Kojima won't be doing Silent Hills. I've been dying for him to start doing his poo poo with other game genres. He's a natural innovator and he isn't afraid to say whatever comes to his mind, for good or ill. His bravado when it comes to games design isn't some fluke or hype; Metal Gear is a solid series, and let's not forget Kojima also spearheaded Boktai, which itself successfully got a sequel or two and was to my knowledge rather well-regarded, even if it had a seemingly bizarre and possibly cumbersome gimmick.

That all being said, MGS4 is just kind of poo poo. I don't think Kojima was trying to really make anything "work" so to speak, he just wanted/needed to tie the whole drat thing up. Even then, he manages to do some clever poo poo, but it's easily the weakest of the series and the only one where I just stopped playing out of lack of interest. It's also the only one that has a lot of weird sexual poo poo in it that doesn't really accomplish anything. A lot in that game just felt off. Comparatively, I felt like Ground Zeroes actually fit much better, even with its ending. The ending of Ground Zeroes felt more like something I'd see in a Metal Gear Solid game than the Beauty and the Beast fights in MGS4. It was weird and rather gruesome, but that's sort of Metal Gear in a nutshell--weird, gruesome, and rarely ever uninteresting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

^^^^^^
Basically
When I said respectful I didn't mean 'politically correct by western standards,' I was talking about not talking about poo poo you had no intention of actually commenting on and doing so in a way that uncritically and almost unilaterally makes minorities the bad guys in the scenario you present.

Like Watchdogs

• Locked thread