Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

A friend of mine replaced someone at the company she works at, because she left to go on maternity leave. She wanted to come back, but she couldn't. The lack of maternity benefits/protections is yet another way that Americans discriminate against women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

DoggPickle posted:

We live in a reality where having a baby is A CHOICE.
Yes, because abortion is legal in all American states and without limits and no-one, especially some of the people against paid mother leaves, is trying to ban it even when rape is involved, right?

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 12, 2015

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Toplowtech posted:

Yes, because abortion is legal in all America states and without limits and no-one, especially some of the people against paid mother leaves, is trying to ban it even when rape is involved, right?

Beat me to it. I would love to say we're an enlightened, pro-choice society that's capable of fixing our issues that negatively impact women and the poor, but I can already hear the laughter.

I live on a coast and don't plan on having children, but I still support robust maternity leave. Actually, it's not that altruistic: I just don't want to work with new moms.

https://youtu.be/LbTB3ASkdOo

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Having a child isn't some kind of weird financial investment, of course the numbers would never work out from a fiscal perspective. You shouldn't have to sacrifice your career in order to reproduce. The government isn't giving people an easy rides, they're just helping to cut some slack for people who are doing their duty to continue the human race. Babies aren't just a personal issue that the government has no business worrying about, they're people, and as such need government support like everybody else.

Next thing you'll be spewing dumb malthusian doom prophecies about overpopulation.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I shouldn't have to pay for other people to have kids, it's their choice to reproduce

I shouldn't have to pay for other people's birth control, it's their choice to be sexually active

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I don't know if I would go so far as to say having a kid is a human right (I mean, how many kids? By whom and in what way?) but it seems pretty disgusting to say only rich people should have the great privilege of passing on their precious genes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xibanya posted:

I don't know if I would go so far as to say having a kid is a human right (I mean, how many kids? By whom and in what way?) but it seems pretty disgusting to say only rich people should have the great privilege of passing on their precious genes.

Well, if you are biologically capable of having a child, then yes, it technically is a human right. Rather, it's a living being's right.

Just not one that everyone is allowed to have due to infertility or screwed up genes or whatever else could go wrong.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Burkion posted:

Well, if you are biologically capable of having a child, then yes, it technically is a human right. Rather, it's a living being's right.

In legal terms it would really difficult to define as a right. After all, I'm biologically capable of murder but I don't consider murder a human right. And if someone has a right to have a child, do they have a right to have two kids? Ten kids? Biologically impossible for me, but a hundred kids?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Oh my god

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Xibanya posted:

In legal terms it would really difficult to define as a right. After all, I'm biologically capable of murder but I don't consider murder a human right. And if someone has a right to have a child, do they have a right to have two kids? Ten kids? Biologically impossible for me, but a hundred kids?

Just because it's a right doesn't mean it can't be subject to regulation, it just means that you have to be very mindful about how it's regulated. I mean, everything in the Bill of Rights is subject to some stipulation (besides the Third Amendment, but obviously that's not going to come up often).

Regardless, I think you're taking this past its logical extreme.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Just because it's a right doesn't mean it can't be subject to regulation, it just means that you have to be very mindful about how it's regulated. I mean, everything in the Bill of Rights is subject to some stipulation (besides the Third Amendment, but obviously that's not going to come up often).

Yeah but this in particular would be difficult to regulate, moreso than the fed gov't won't infringe on free speech or regulations on search and seizure; I'm sure I don't need to explain why.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Gonna get knocked up 20 times so I can get that sweet paid maternity leave

I mean nevermind the actual expenses of raising a child, I wanna get pregnant just to go on paid vacation for a few weeks and I'll do it basically every year

Are you people loving kidding me, maternity leave is a health and human rights issue, that you're discarding it as not your problem is silly as hell

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Xibanya posted:

Yeah but this in particular would be difficult to regulate, moreso than the fed gov't won't infringe on free speech or regulations on search and seizure; I'm sure I don't need to explain why.

Then just don't regulate it?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

JT Jag posted:

Gonna get knocked up 20 times so I can get that sweet paid maternity leave

I mean nevermind the actual expenses of raising a child, I wanna get pregnant just to go on paid vacation for a few weeks and I'll do it basically every year

Are you people loving kidding me

You're arguing against strawmen because nobody here is actually talking about that. At this point we're getting into abstract things and I'll take blame for bringing it up but my original point was non-rich people shouldn't get scolded for loving reproducing.

E: Lumberjack I never said it should be regulated. I just said it would be hard to define having kids as a human right but my gut instinct (lol) says it should be one.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

DoggPickle posted:

We live in a reality where having a baby is A CHOICE. There is absolutely no doubt that it is a CHOICE. I'm a girl as well, and I've been screwed over by other chicks taking absurd amounts of leave and making me do more work. I accept that as the price of doing business, but I do NOT accept them getting PAID for it while I do their job as well as mine, because they made a conscious choice.

But, you know, it's usually paid -- at a lower percentage of salary, like 60% -- out of the same short-term disability insurance that will take care of you if you get hit by a bus or need time off for cancer treatment.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The lack of solid maternity benefits and protections in the United States is basically a tacit endorsement of the idea that "you can be a mother or you can work, but you can't do both. So put your nose to the grindstone or get your rear end in the kitchen." And... that's pretty loving regressive.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
All I was doing was discussing how difficult it would be to legally enshrine having babies as a human right. Of course I want everyone who wants to have kids to be able to have kids. I want huge benefits for mothers without any strings attached. In fact I'm surprised at those of you who are also DnD regs since in the January USPol thread I was arguing about this exact topic for about three pages on the side of MORE benefits for mothers against insane assholes who thought welfare queens would have a zillion babies or something. I will go ahead and reproduce some pertinent posts here since they're relevant to the topic at hand, namely that parents don't get jack poo poo in terms of breaks and benefits.

I posted:

There are two main types of tax benefits - credits and deductions. I'll go over two of the most important ones for middle-class Americans.

TAX CREDITS
You have an account with the IRS. Even if the IRS doesn't know how much money you'll owe for the tax year yet, most people pay into their account either by having their employer send the IRS money withheld from their pay OR by sending the IRS some money ahead of time in the form of Estimated Payments. Eventually the IRS finds out how much you should owe. The credits to your account are matched against what you owe. If you paid more in than you owe for that year, you get a refund. If you owe more than you paid in, you have to send the IRS the difference.

Let's say you are claiming a ten-year-old child as your dependent and you are a single parent.
You earn $100k a year, you lucky dog. For the tax year you owe $15,200 in income taxes, and you've paid in $15k already.
You put your kid in day care so that you could work, so you can claim the Child Care Tax Credit. It works like this: if you claim 1 kid you can get a credit of up to $600* on child care expenses. You fill out the form when you do your taxes, so it's as though you paid in $15,600, so you'll get a refund of $400.

To further clarify, the credit is 20% of all spending on child care, capped at $3,000 for one child or $6,000 for 2+ kids. So that's up to $600 for one kid or $1,200 for 2+ kids.

*You get more than $600 per child if your combined household income is less than $45k

TAX DEDUCTIONS
The amount you owe in federal income taxes is calculated based on your income. For a single person with no dependents this is roughly 20% total, the exact number depends on a number of different factors. A deduction reduces your taxable income. That is to say, when you have a deduction, the IRS says "We know you made X, but for the purpose of calculating what you owe, we'll pretend you made (X - deduction)."

Let's say you are claiming a dependent child on your return and you are a single parent. As a benefit, your employer offers a dependent care account, a type of flexible spending account. You can put up to $5k into the account to spend on child care and however much you put in will be deducted from your taxable wages.
You earn $100k per year as in the previous example. Because your taxable wages are now $95k, you owe only $14,000 in income taxes.

The big difference? To take advantage of the credit, you first have to file. You essentially get the advantage of the deduction right away. By the way, you might have noticed that a $600 credit per child is kind of bullshit. The credit has not increased in like 20 years.

EDIT: to answer the above question, no there is not a separate tax credit. The child care tax credit can only be used by one person per child. It can only be used by single parents who work or study full time OR families in which both parents work full time or are full-time students. (In other words, you must pay for child care in order to work/study.)

Just to show you how hilarious IRSs documentation is, here's a flow chart that shows who can claim the credit.

It's simple! (Before you ask, I work for an accounting firm, it's not like I just carry this around for no reason.)

Also be aware that if you plan to use the full $5k of a dependent care account, the amount you can claim on the child care tax credit doesn't stack - so if you have 1 kid, you can only use one (you should use the FSA because it puts more money in your pocket.) If you have 2 kids, since the child care tax credit covers up to $6k of spending on child care, you can use both but the child care tax credit will only get you 20% on $1k, or $200.

After arguing with someone who was bitching that the tax breaks for parents were "too high,"

I posted:

By the way, those sweet federal tax breaks parents get that all you responsible more deserving people don't get?

Child Tax Credit - A $1k tax credit per child.
Child Care Tax Credit - if all the child's guardians work full time or are full time students and you put your kid in day care (or hire a nanny), you can get a 20% credit of what you spent on day care capped at $3,000 of spending on 1 kid and $6,000 of spending on 2+ kids. So that's a maximum of $600 on one kid or $1,200 on 2+ kids. Bear in mind you will get no more than 20% back on what you already spent on child care and that in order to qualify for the credit, you paid for child care because you could not work otherwise.

So let's see how the money is rolling in!

1 kid and you put them in day care? Here, have $1,600 back.
2 kids and you put them in day care? Here, have $3,200 back.
3 kids in day care? $4,200.

Oh my god, the parents are rolling in the dough.

I live in Austin, TX, so I did some googling to check out child care costs. Per this report (http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=159542) by the "e3 Alliance" (cursory google checking seems to show they are not a terrible institution) the average cost of child care in 2010 was as follows:

Average cost to put your kid in a day care center was $589 per month or $7,068 per year per child.
Average cost to put your kid in a "listed family home" was $326 per month or $3,912 per year per child.
(If you pay someone under the table to care for your kid, naturally it will be cheaper but then you won't be eligible for the credit!)

According to the USDA, if your pre-tax income is less than $60k, the average per-year spending in a two-parent household on a child is about $9k. (Was not able to find this figure specific to Austin, unfortunately.)

Yeah, $1k per kid is pretty weak.

But what about the Earned Income Tax Credit (http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/EITC-Income-Limits,-Maximum-Credit--Amounts-and-Tax-Law-Updates) ?

Let's have a look at this awesome free cash!

The IRS posted:

Last year, the average credit was $2,300.

2014 Tax Year
Earned Income and adjusted gross income (AGI) must each be less than:
$46,997 ($52,427 married filing jointly) with three or more qualifying children
$43,756 ($49,186 married filing jointly) with two qualifying children
$38,511 ($43,941 married filing jointly) with one qualifying child
$14,590 ($20,020 married filing jointly) with no qualifying children

Tax Year 2014 Maximum Credit:
$6,143 with three or more qualifying children
$5,460 with two qualifying children
$3,305 with one qualifying child
$496 with no qualifying children

So let's say you are married filing jointly and have one kid and your combined household income is a swanky high-rolling $45k. Whoops, no EITC for you!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

It's kind of funny to see someone who considers "gently caress you, got mine" to be a legitimate argument.

When I got injured playing footy, should I not have been allowed time off work in order to heal? I mean, I made the choice to participate with full knowledge of the risks.
A few years ago, my father had eye surgery that required him to be out of work for 3 weeks. He might have been able to continue doing his job without the surgery, so do you think it was unfair to his coworkers for him to take that time off?

Do you also oppose paid vacation? I mean, why does that fucker get a paycheck while he's skiing in Colorado?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I live on a coast and don't plan on having children, but I still support robust maternity leave. Actually, it's not that altruistic: I just don't want to work with new moms.

This too, people with new kids suck. They always reek and won't shut up about their stupid kids. Nobody but you think's it's cute, new parents.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

JohnSherman posted:

It's kind of funny to see someone who considers "gently caress you, got mine" to be a legitimate argument.

When I got injured playing footy, should I not have been allowed time off work in order to heal? I mean, I made the choice to participate with full knowledge of the risks.
A few years ago, my father had eye surgery that required him to be out of work for 3 weeks. He might have been able to continue doing his job without the surgery, so do you think it was unfair to his coworkers for him to take that time off?

Do you also oppose paid vacation? I mean, why does that fucker get a paycheck while he's skiing in Colorado?

No one should have to pay for anything they don't personally use or see immediate benefit from, because the only thing that matters is yourself.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

No one should have to pay for anything they don't personally use or see immediate benefit from, because the only thing that matters is yourself.

This guy gets it.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

JohnSherman posted:

Your anecdotes don't make any reasonable sense. If I got hurt playing sports, I'd have to take paid vacation or unpaid leave at the discretion of my boss, and that's how it SHOULD BE. Just because you type all day in someone's employ doesn't make them responsible for your entire freaking life. I'm sorry about your dad, but a grown man should have enough money saved to make it 0-3 weeks (depending on his leftover vacation) to go without pay. Beyond that, like a major illness - you can try for disability?

Paid vacation is part of your employment package. It's factored into your pay. I think you are missing something.

I'm not even the bad guy here. I'm not taking it to some crazy extreme. I said, let them have 2-4 weeks off paid (even though it pisses me off), and up to 3 months with guaranteed job security. Don't make me into some straw man republican DUDE who wants to tell chicks what to do with their vaginas. I happen to have one.

Someone made a false equivalency about old people. Well those old people payed into Social Security all their lives and would probably have had MORE money in the long-run if they'd just been able to keep it in the first place, but people are idiots- so the government takes a small percentage to make sure they don't all waste it on hookers and blow and end up penniless at 65. Probably a good plan. The fact that it's not funded and maintained correctly and requires a pyramid scheme of more and more babies is irrelevant to the original question.

My one mistake was forgetting about those few states where having a baby is NOT a choice. That's not my fault. That's those stupid rednecks' fault. Paying for contraception is a million times cheaper than paying for unwanted babies by the way, and I'm happy to do it, because I believe in a woman's right to choose, and being legally forced to carry a baby you don't want is basically a horrifying nightmare scenario. At some point though, you gotta think "Get the hell out of that idiot state and stop voting for those idiot men, or you deserve what you get". (does not apply to minors). There is an exception to every rule, but 99% of women can take birth control that is 99% effective. And in 9/10ths of the civilized world, you can still fix a mistake after that. That makes it a "choice".

So tell me - honestly - how does supporting more paid maternity leave actually HELP ME or the planet? Why is it "good"? Why would I want that? I think your answers have been mostly really trite and silly. Why would I vote for something that makes my working life harder? I think your suggestions that NOT doing it is making women have to choose between being moms or working is ridiculous. You can be a mom AND work. Everyone I know does. After the horrifying physical effects have worn off, why the hell should they get to stay home and get paid while the other people in the office (or whatever) cover for their lazy asses? That is in effect, perpetuating the stereotype that women need to stay home with their babies. It's doing the exact opposite of what you're saying. It's keeping moms HOME instead of at work.

Frankly, kids need more time away from their stupid helicopter parents these days anyways. (sorry got a little Off-topic, but even my own friends piss me off now. Let the kid BE ALONE for two seconds, JESUS)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think IRQ is spot on in saying it would be much less of an issue if vacation and paid leave in the US were handled in a much better way in general. It all comes back to having enough staff to ensure proper smooth operation (without a ton of forced overtime) in the event that not all people are currently there. If you have to account for all your staff being able to take a month off throughout the year without seriously derailing projects or killing the people who are left at the office, extending that leave to 8 weeks for new parents becomes a bit more trivial.

That said, I'm genuinely curious as to how in the hell this functions in countries that gives you something like 18 months off. How do you plan staffing and projects around the possibility of people not being there for a year and a half? How does that person remain relevant in the workforce after having that much time off? If you are in any sort of a technical field, 18 months is an eternity. I look back at how things have grown and developed at my current job and someone being absent for 18 months would be nearly on the same level as a new hire as far as knowledge of current operations and technologies goes.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

This is so annoying." I'll just generally disagree without actually debating any points, while adding a bit of snarky that the "other guy" is an idiot/jerk". Make your point, or don't be rude just to be rude. I'm not Irish Joe and I was not trolling.

I stopped posting in D&D about 7 years ago, and now I remember why. If it's any excuse, I only got 5 hours sleep last night, and posted that big post at 6:30-ish AM.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

DoggPickle posted:

Why should I, personally, want people to get more leave for choosing to have babies when it only effects me negatively? I can't think of any argument that makes any sense to me.

It doesn't affect you negatively, or rather, it shouldn't. Here's how it's done in my country. Someone gets pregnant, they go on maternity leave for minimum of 1.5 years and the employer gets someone with a temporary contract in to fill that position. That's all there is to it. How does that situation affect you negatively? Because you have terrible worker protection laws in the States, it doesn't invalidate the argument for general paid parental leave.

Offler posted:

If you're worried that people will breed like rabbits because the government pays them to have children you can totally relax about that one. Over here in Europe we have downright ridiculous amount of paid leave by U.S. standards, and most of our populations would be shrinking if it wasn't for immigration. Hell, where I live, in Norway, you don't even have to have a job! Our government will literally give unemployed women a lump sum of about 5,000 $ just to poo poo out a kid! And even with all this, we still have tons of assholes who think that we need to close our borders NOW, or we'll be a sharia coutry in 50 years since "Norwegian" (i.e. white) people are barely having babies!

This will probably open up a huge can of worms, but here we go... the problem is not reaching a critical level in other Scandinavian countries, but it sure as hell is in Sweden.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

OhYeah posted:

This will probably open up a huge can of worms, but here we go... the problem is not reaching a critical level in other Scandinavian countries, but it sure as hell is in Sweden.

Go post this in the Scandinavia Politics thread in D&D, I dare you.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

DoggPickle posted:

Someone made a false equivalency about old people. Well those old people payed into Social Security all their lives and would probably have had MORE money in the long-run if they'd just been able to keep it in the first place, but people are idiots- so the government takes a small percentage to make sure they don't all waste it on hookers and blow and end up penniless at 65. Probably a good plan. The fact that it's not funded and maintained correctly and requires a pyramid scheme of more and more babies is irrelevant to the original question.
"Social security is an insolvent pyramid scheme." So you're just dumb in general then.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

DoggPickle posted:

Your anecdotes don't make any reasonable sense. If I got hurt playing sports, I'd have to take paid vacation or unpaid leave at the discretion of my boss, and that's how it SHOULD BE. Just because you type all day in someone's employ doesn't make them responsible for your entire freaking life. I'm sorry about your dad, but a grown man should have enough money saved to make it 0-3 weeks (depending on his leftover vacation) to go without pay.

Why?

People get hurt, people get sick, people have accidents. It's nice to have a safety net, however basic, so you don't have to worry about going into debt immediately when poo poo hits the fan.

I guess it's a European thing. I can never understand the :freep: mindset. Every man for himself, hurr hurr! :freep: Freedom!

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Xoidanor posted:

Go post this in the Scandinavia Politics thread in D&D, I dare you.

Great idea, I'm going to go check it out tonight. Gonna be fun, I can feel it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DoggPickle posted:

This is so annoying." I'll just generally disagree without actually debating any points, while adding a bit of snarky that the "other guy" is an idiot/jerk". Make your point, or don't be rude just to be rude. I'm not Irish Joe and I was not trolling.

What are the points you are making again? Are you citing anything? Any evidence to your statements? Anything other than really long paragraphs full of spleen at the people around you?

Or we could just talk about that mascot almost exploding. Which would be pretty awesome right about now.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

OhYeah posted:

It doesn't affect you negatively, or rather, it shouldn't. Here's how it's done in my country. Someone gets pregnant, they go on maternity leave for minimum of 1.5 years and the employer gets someone with a temporary contract in to fill that position. That's all there is to it. How does that situation affect you negatively? Because you have terrible worker protection laws in the States, it doesn't invalidate the argument for general paid parental leave.

That sounds like a pretty decent system, but then you have a bunch of people who only get 18 months of a job at a time? Who are those people? Fresh out of College or younger people? What do they do when their 18 months is up? And how much of that time is spent teaching this new person how to do the job properly? I completely get what you're saying, and it sounds reasonable until I think about all theses random temporary hires flowing in and out of my office, and the much higher expenses for my employer, which would generally mean that I get paid less.

P.S. A year and half! Holey moley, that is a lot.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Honestly, I think this is a silly conversation to be having with out universal healthcare. Should probably get that first then worry about the other health issues.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Honestly, I think this is a silly conversation to be having with out universal healthcare. Should probably get that first then worry about the other health issues.

Good luck killing a multi-billion (trillion?) dollar industry with ties to every relevant level of government and representation.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

DoggPickle posted:

]I'm not even the bad guy here. I'm not taking it to some crazy extreme. I said, let them have 2-4 weeks off paid (even though it pisses me off), and up to 3 months with guaranteed job security. Don't make me into some straw man republican DUDE who wants to tell chicks what to do with their vaginas. I happen to have one.

You are the bad guy. The economy of the US isn't hinged upon forcing parents almost immediately back to work. We'll still manage to sell HDTVs and pizzas to each other whether a mother (and, preferably, father as well) have time off to y'know raise their kid which is probably the biggest single watershed moment in people's lives.

quote:

A pyramid scheme requires unrealistic expectations of returns. If we go by the definition of people paying into something that will require the effort of future generations to return on that investment then the world economy itself is pretty much a pyramid scheme.

quote:

So tell me - honestly - how does supporting more paid maternity leave actually HELP ME or the planet?

Human society, even for all of the imperfections, is pretty cool and continuing it and maybe making it even better would be nice and stuff?

quote:

Why is it "good"? Why would I want that? I think your answers have been mostly really trite and silly. Why would I vote for something that makes my working life harder?

Why do I have to pay for anything you use, as a woman, that doesn't benefit me? Why should your birth control and ovarian cancer screening be part of my insurance plan? Why should I have to put the toilet seat down?

Simply put; life isn't fair. We don't live in a just world. It's a lovely thing to come to realize but that is how it is. Things won't always go your way, but when they do that sometimes means things aren't going the way of someone else.

quote:

I think your suggestions that NOT doing it is making women have to choose between being moms or working is ridiculous. You can be a mom AND work. Everyone I know does.

The point is to make it easier. While people can work and be a mother, it doesn't mean it's the best option or the suitable for everyone. Almost everyone I know can dunk, so therefore everyone should be able to dunk!

quote:

After the horrifying physical effects have worn off, why the hell should they get to stay home and get paid while the other people in the office (or whatever) cover for their lazy asses?

Because raising a kid is An Important Thing and there are countless studies about how human social interaction is a positive thing, even with infants. We're still products of evolution and not beep boop :mitt: I have recovered 100% and my reactor core is no longer overloaded and is now capable of producing my units of work

quote:

That is in effect, perpetuating the stereotype that women need to stay home with their babies. It's doing the exact opposite of what you're saying. It's keeping moms HOME instead of at work.

We're trying to get some help toward sensible policy toward work and parenthood and we can't even get the people who poo poo out several pounds of human to have any paid leave. While it'd sure be nice to include maternity and paternity leave you have to start somewhere. A ditch isn't going to get dug by handwringing.

quote:

Frankly, kids need more time away from their stupid helicopter parents these days anyways. (sorry got a little Off-topic, but even my own friends piss me off now. Let the kid BE ALONE for two seconds, JESUS)

Human beings are social beings and if we were meant to just dropkick the kids to the curb to fend on their own it'd be, y'know, part of the parenting process.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

DoggPickle posted:

That sounds like a pretty decent system, but then you have a bunch of people who only get 18 months of a job at a time? Who are those people? Fresh out of College or younger people? What do they do when their 18 months is up? And how much of that time is spent teaching this new person how to do the job properly? I completely get what you're saying, and it sounds reasonable until I think about all theses random temporary hires flowing in and out of my office, and the much higher expenses for my employer, which would generally mean that I get paid less.

I'm wondering the same thing myself, but companies always seem to find competent people on temporary contracts. Some of them just want to change jobs, so they welcome a temporary position until they find something permanent or decide what they want to do. Sometimes mothers don't want to come back and the temporary employee just stays on longer.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DoggPickle posted:

You just seem really trapped in the mindset that gently caress you got mine is the only way anything good happens for you. How about gently caress the rich and help out your fellow workers? Fighting with others for the scraps we do get is only going to hurt everyone - you are part of everyone, by the way.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
"gently caress the rich!" is appealing to children and losers on the internet, but it starts to lose its appeal when you actually work and make your own living.

We're trying to get some help toward sensible policy toward work and parenthood and we can't even get the people who poo poo out several pounds of human to have any paid leave. While it'd sure be nice to include maternity and paternity leave you have to start somewhere. A ditch isn't going to get dug by handwringing.

Most people with careers do have some paid leave through normal sick leave that they accrue at their jobs.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

DoggPickle posted:

Your anecdotes don't make any reasonable sense. If I got hurt playing sports, I'd have to take paid vacation or unpaid leave at the discretion of my boss, and that's how it SHOULD BE. Just because you type all day in someone's employ doesn't make them responsible for your entire freaking life. I'm sorry about your dad, but a grown man should have enough money saved to make it 0-3 weeks (depending on his leftover vacation) to go without pay. Beyond that, like a major illness - you can try for disability?

Paid vacation is part of your employment package. It's factored into your pay. I think you are missing something.

I'm not even the bad guy here. I'm not taking it to some crazy extreme. I said, let them have 2-4 weeks off paid (even though it pisses me off), and up to 3 months with guaranteed job security. Don't make me into some straw man republican DUDE who wants to tell chicks what to do with their vaginas. I happen to have one.

My one mistake was forgetting about those few states where having a baby is NOT a choice. That's not my fault. That's those stupid rednecks' fault. Paying for contraception is a million times cheaper than paying for unwanted babies by the way, and I'm happy to do it, because I believe in a woman's right to choose, and being legally forced to carry a baby you don't want is basically a horrifying nightmare scenario. At some point though, you gotta think "Get the hell out of that idiot state and stop voting for those idiot men, or you deserve what you get". (does not apply to minors). There is an exception to every rule, but 99% of women can take birth control that is 99% effective. And in 9/10ths of the civilized world, you can still fix a mistake after that. That makes it a "choice".

So tell me - honestly - how does supporting more paid maternity leave actually HELP ME or the planet? Why is it "good"? Why would I want that? I think your answers have been mostly really trite and silly. Why would I vote for something that makes my working life harder? I think your suggestions that NOT doing it is making women have to choose between being moms or working is ridiculous. You can be a mom AND work. Everyone I know does. After the horrifying physical effects have worn off, why the hell should they get to stay home and get paid while the other people in the office (or whatever) cover for their lazy asses? That is in effect, perpetuating the stereotype that women need to stay home with their babies. It's doing the exact opposite of what you're saying. It's keeping moms HOME instead of at work.

Since you've apparently chosen to never have kids, then I guess paid maternity leave won't help you. It will however help the 86% of Americans who will become a parent in their lifetime.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

OhYeah posted:

I'm wondering the same thing myself, but companies always seem to find competent people on temporary contracts. Some of them just want to change jobs, so they welcome a temporary position until they find something permanent or decide what they want to do. Sometimes mothers don't want to come back and the temporary employee just stays on longer.

^ That's how I got my awesome Aeron Chair (I think that is the name). Coworker was having twins and was extremely uncomfortable, boss got her a super-rad chair, then she never came back to work. I figured it was like taking someone's stapler when they got fired. :dance: I even managed to fit it in my car and truck it out when I got moved to a satellite office.

I appreciate the actual replies. Thank you.

Apparently there is a "norm" here now, and if you disagree, you are a troll, unless you cite your sources like some kind of wikipedia-bot. I'll stick to making fun of Japanese Mascots from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

DoggPickle posted:

Apparently there is a "norm" here now, and if you disagree, you are a troll, unless you cite your sources like some kind of wikipedia-bot. I'll stick to making fun of Japanese Mascots from now on.

Literally no one has called you a troll. You're getting crass replies because your reasoning is hilariously self-centered.

• Locked thread