Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

xcore posted:

My wife's phone has gone to poo poo. She has a case and hasn't dropped her phone but the screen has wigged out.

She got the screen replaced about 5 months ago (from dropping it) from an authorised repair centre. Can someone with more knowledge of phone tech diagnose whether this is due to a faulty screen or a faulty phone?

If it is a faulty screen, does that make it likely she can get it replaced again on warranty?

Judging from the location of the power button (as indicated by symbol printed on the factory screen protector) it looks like a nexus 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Holy hell, I just got a S6 and Lastpass + fingerprint recognition is loving magical. Lastpass isn't buggy garbage like it was on my S4. Really wasn't expecting the fingerprint stuff to be something I'd ever use.

Phone feels a hell of a lot smaller than the S4 when they're both in Otterbox defenders, too. Didn't expect that either.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Hypnolobster posted:

Holy hell, I just got a S6 and Lastpass + fingerprint recognition is loving magical. Lastpass isn't buggy garbage like it was on my S4. Really wasn't expecting the fingerprint stuff to be something I'd ever use.

Phone feels a hell of a lot smaller than the S4 when they're both in Otterbox defenders, too. Didn't expect that either.

That fingerprint and lastpass thing is pretty much the top reason I'm on the Samsung wagon right now. There are other good reasons (camera) but that's number 1.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
My internet searches have failed, so I'll ask here, hopefully it's the right place.

About a week back my Turbo started being incapable of receiving or sending calls. When I recieve a call, I get the notification and attempt to answer, but instead of answering the icon that you swipe simply returns to the center of the screen and continues that until the call stops ringing. When I try to send outgoing calls, all my data immediately drops and it tries to send for a few minutes before the call gives me a network error and tells me it wasn't connected. The weirdest thing is that whoever I'm trying to call gets the call and can answer it, I just can't talk to them or tell they got it. Everything else on the phone works great, so I have no idea what's going on. Anyone seen this before or have any ideas of what I could try to fix it?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Quandary posted:

My internet searches have failed, so I'll ask here, hopefully it's the right place.

About a week back my Turbo started being incapable of receiving or sending calls. When I recieve a call, I get the notification and attempt to answer, but instead of answering the icon that you swipe simply returns to the center of the screen and continues that until the call stops ringing. When I try to send outgoing calls, all my data immediately drops and it tries to send for a few minutes before the call gives me a network error and tells me it wasn't connected. The weirdest thing is that whoever I'm trying to call gets the call and can answer it, I just can't talk to them or tell they got it. Everything else on the phone works great, so I have no idea what's going on. Anyone seen this before or have any ideas of what I could try to fix it?

Your phone is broken and you should take it back to Verizon for a replacement.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Quandary posted:

Do you have VoLTE turned on? I would try factory resetting the phone first.

Endless Mike posted:

Your phone is broken and you should take it back to Verizon for a replacement.

Yeah, this if the reset doesn't do anything.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

Why come I can't transfer files to/from my Nexus 5 to/from my PC anymore? I connect the USB cable, it charges, but I don't get the option to transfer files.

Just a thought: are you unlocking the phone? You can't access your phone's internal storage through USB unless the screen's unlocked.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
As a true SA Goon I have garnered an irrational disdain for all things Samsung since I entered the Android world despite never owning one. This S6 looks to be a really amazing phone, please convince me otherwise. It even sounds like that the worst offender (Touchwiz) is muted enough to where it's tolerable. It's got an awesome camera, great hardware/build quality, fingerprint scanner that actually works, decent-enough battery life...

Stop me from buying this phone and leaving my Z3c in the dust as I have envy here.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

TraderStav posted:

As a true SA Goon I have garnered an irrational disdain for all things Samsung since I entered the Android world despite never owning one. This S6 looks to be a really amazing phone, please convince me otherwise. It even sounds like that the worst offender (Touchwiz) is muted enough to where it's tolerable. It's got an awesome camera, great hardware/build quality, fingerprint scanner that actually works, decent-enough battery life...

Stop me from buying this phone and leaving my Z3c in the dust as I have envy here.

I've used my friend's S6, and it's better than my S5 in every way. There really isn't a downside I've seen unless the sight of a touchwhiz'd menus makes you start frothing at the mouth. Even if you hate the Samsung apps, the stock versions are on the store.

I've seen people complain about build quality, but there's really nothing wrong with it as far as sturdiness; Samsung phones just tend to be ugly. The S6 is a lot handsomer than its predecessors. Also, cases.

If you want it, get it. If you have misgivings, don't. v:buddy:v

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 12, 2015

Redjakk
Apr 24, 2007

cormano sigue siendo mi hermano
Fun Shoe
I've got a 2013 Moto X that started having an annoying but not critical issue.

A couple of days ago I got a 'Message not sent' notification on my phone even though I hadn't sent a text message in over an hour. None of the threads have the little unsent message notification next to them and I even opened up and looked through every message thread that had been active recently and none of them had an unsent message. I can clear the notification but every time I open the Messaging app it comes back. Touching the notification to see where it goes just brings me to the main screen of the messaging app with no threads specified and the notification comes back a half-second later.

I've tried clearing the app's cache and the partition cache. I've tried going into airplane mode and coming back. Tried rebooting. Nothing I've done has had any effect and the notification just keeps coming back.

Anyone experienced this issue before?

Redjakk
Apr 24, 2007

cormano sigue siendo mi hermano
Fun Shoe
[double-posted somehow]

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Even if you hate the Samsung apps, the stock versions are on the store.

Yeah, but then you have like 3 mail apps, 2 messaging apps, 2 calendars, something called milk, etc.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

Yeah, but then you have like 3 mail apps, 2 messaging apps, 2 calendars, something called milk, etc.

It's my understanding that all of that can be disabled (and hidden from view in Nova,etc) and replaced with the apps I prefer only sucking up some storage space, correct?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

TraderStav posted:

It's my understanding that all of that can be disabled (and hidden from view in Nova,etc) and replaced with the apps I prefer only sucking up some storage space, correct?

I can't say for sure on the s6, but I know that older versions would not allow you to disable some of them.

Also I'd just like to bring to your attention that you're already thinking about what you will remove/disable/hide/fix on your brand new phone.

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 12, 2015

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Redjakk posted:

A couple of days ago I got a 'Message not sent' notification on my phone even though I hadn't sent a text message in over an hour. None of the threads have the little unsent message notification next to them and I even opened up and looked through every message thread that had been active recently and none of them had an unsent message. I can clear the notification but every time I open the Messaging app it comes back. Touching the notification to see where it goes just brings me to the main screen of the messaging app with no threads specified and the notification comes back a half-second later.

I've tried clearing the app's cache and the partition cache. I've tried going into airplane mode and coming back. Tried rebooting. Nothing I've done has had any effect and the notification just keeps coming back.

I had that on my Nexus 6 using cyanogenmod, with their messaging app. It's some sort of glitch with the message database. Clearing the app data didn't really fix it, I deleted the db directly since I was rooted. I'd have to think if there's a way to clear it without root, and still short of a factory reset.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

RZA Encryption posted:

I can't say for sure on the s6, but I know that older versions would not allow you to disable some of them.

Also I'd just like to bring to your attention that you're already thinking about what you will remove/disable/hide/fix on your brand new phone.

Also there's someone asking in the rooted thread about a way to disable the mirror-whatever app, since apparently it's running amok and you can only uninstall updates through the settings, not disable it.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Redjakk posted:

If you're using a messaging app that isn't the one that came preinstalled on the phone, go check the preinstalled one. I've had this happen because of emergency messages like amber/silver alerts and weather alerts that never showed up in Hangouts or Messenger, but were sitting in LG's messaging app.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I've got a 2014 Moto X that's been great, except for one issue:

When I'm driving, the Moto Assist feature that recognizes it and announces incoming texts/calls would be great, but the volume is incredibly low through my car speakers. I can't find anywhere to adjust this. I use a line-in to my car stereo, and music/navigation comes through perfectly loud and clear. Then, the music will suddenly stop, and if I'm at a stoplight or just crank the volume up really loud, I can just barely hear it announcing an incoming text and awaiting my response. I've looked through every volume setting, and nothing seems to help.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

TraderStav posted:

Um, OK. The weak point of the S6 is the battery.

techradar posted:

In terms of the actual battery life of the Samsung Galaxy S6, in moderate usage you'll get a full working day of around 17 hours out of it. This means you might have to decide whether or not you want to watch a movie on the commute home, and that's simply not good enough.

In 2015 we expect phones to be able to last more than a day easily, especially for the prices Samsung is charging for the S6. To lower the capacity beggars belief

mashable posted:

The 2,550 milliamp-hour (mAh) battery might get you through the day, or it might not, depending on what you're doing. But you won't ever be pleasantly surprised that it kept on trucking far longer than you thought, unless you simply don't touch it for much of the day.

wired.com posted:

the S6 battery is a little hit-and-miss. I’d get a day and a half, fill ‘er up again, and then sputter out at 10 hours. It always lasts the whole day, but I wouldn’t count on anything more before it kicks into the grayscale, super-limited Ultra Power Saving Mode.

theverge posted:

In our web browsing battery test (which loops a web page once a minute), the Galaxy S6 held up well, achieving over nine hours of uptime. But in actual usage — especially when streaming YouTube or playing games — I got less than that, sometimes distressingly less. There were days that I made it to midnight and beyond before it conked out, and there were days where the battery saver mode kicked in as early as 6PM. That’s decidedly average at best, and worse than what I get with an iPhone 6.

androidcentral posted:

In my typical daily use, which includes hefty amounts of time on Wifi, lots of notifications coming in from multiple email accounts, updates from social networks, some podcast and music listening, all with automatic screen brightness turned on, I could get about 14 hours out of a charge.

So for me that's grabbing the phone off of its charger at 8 a.m. and having it dead as a doornail at 10 p.m. — enough for an average day, but of course not every day is average. If I needed to flip on a hotspot when out of the house or spend a little time watching some YouTube videos, I could easily drain the battery in 11 hours instead. That has my phone dying at 7 p.m., and that's not good.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

TraderStav posted:

If you want a new phone with a 5.1" screen, the S6 is the best on the market...for now. Later in the year we'll see Moto X 2015 and a rumored Nexus made by LG with a 5.2" screen. Both of those will be comparable to the S6 and will run stock Android.

If you just want a new phone, the LG G4 hits the market soon with a slightly larger screen and is fairly comparable to the S6, although it has a 5.5" display.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Rastor posted:

Um, OK. The weak point of the S6 is the battery.

Thanks, this is what I'm looking for. This may be something I can still work with though (despite loving my Z3c battery life) as my routine is one where I charge on my 45 minute commute back and forth (albeit with the screen on for Waze, so more of a trickle) and would only really be an issue when I travel. I usually carry a power bank with me for that since even my Sony gets sapped for whatever reason when I am on the move. Having the Qi built in would negate a lot as well since it'd sit on my desk on my normal days.

Something to think on, provided if this is the largest area of concern.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Shifting gears to Lollipop behavior. I'd like to best replicate the iPhone lockscreen security if possible. I'd like to have the 'swipe' to unlock the phone but require a PIN after a period of time. I'd like to get the lockscreen everytime I power the display off but not have to enter the code if it has been within my security timeout. Is there a way to configure it? I'm not seeing it if so.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

TraderStav posted:

Shifting gears to Lollipop behavior. I'd like to best replicate the iPhone lockscreen security if possible. I'd like to have the 'swipe' to unlock the phone but require a PIN after a period of time. I'd like to get the lockscreen everytime I power the display off but not have to enter the code if it has been within my security timeout. Is there a way to configure it? I'm not seeing it if so.

You can get roughly comparable behavior with Smart Lock, though not to 100% duplicate. Off the top of my head, Smart Lock can unlock based on:

1) trusted location (geofencing based on gps and wifi)
2) accelerometer/gyro -- set the phone down flat and stationary on a surface, it'll require unlock next time you pick it up (called 'on-body detection')
3) trusted devices -- bluetooth connections such as headsets, car audio, or smartwatches
4) voice (eh)

All of these are available on any Lollipop device with Smart Lock (so, say, the Galaxy S4 doesn't have it because Samsung didn't bake Smart Lock into the stock Lollipop ROM for it)

For example the lockscreen in Google stock Lollipop can be configured to lock down if you power off, which then requires a secure unlocking next time, be it PIN or pattern or password (or fingerprint, etc.), then you'd pick it up play with it and it wouldn't lock back down until you set the phone back down on a flat surface.

Samsung's lockscreen (not sure if this is in Google stock, I don't have my Moto or Nexus 5 with me at work) can set to lock 5 seconds after screen turns off.

When the device is on lock screen though not secure locked, you swipe to get out of the lockscreen.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

ruby idiot railed posted:

You can get roughly comparable behavior with Smart Lock, though not to 100% duplicate. Off the top of my head, Smart Lock can unlock based on:

1) trusted location (geofencing based on gps and wifi)
2) accelerometer/gyro -- set the phone down flat and stationary on a surface, it'll require unlock next time you pick it up (called 'on-body detection')
3) trusted devices -- bluetooth connections such as headsets, car audio, or smartwatches
4) voice (eh)

All of these are available on any Lollipop device with Smart Lock (so, say, the Galaxy S4 doesn't have it because Samsung didn't bake Smart Lock into the stock Lollipop ROM for it)

For example the lockscreen in Google stock Lollipop can be configured to lock down if you power off, which then requires a secure unlocking next time, be it PIN or pattern or password (or fingerprint, etc.), then you'd pick it up play with it and it wouldn't lock back down until you set the phone back down on a flat surface.

Samsung's lockscreen (not sure if this is in Google stock, I don't have my Moto or Nexus 5 with me at work) can set to lock 5 seconds after screen turns off.

When the device is on lock screen though not secure locked, you swipe to get out of the lockscreen.

I knew about SmartLock and enjoyed having the behavior when I was trying out the Moto 360 as it basically mimicked the behavior perfectly, save for requiring the PIN after a period of time but that was fine since the phone would have to be near me to be unlocked. Perhaps I just need to pick up one of those Moto keychain things.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

When someone sends a group sms is it even loving possible to see who is included in the group that I am replying to?

e: on nexus 5 using hangouts

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 12, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think it depends on if you are using Google Voice or not. When I was still using hangouts for SMS, I was using carrier SMS and I could easily see who everyone was in the message.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
I apologize if this is the wrong thread to post this in, but what is the longest anyone here has heard of a phone with water damage bouncing back? On the evening of the 9th I dropped a Galaxy Alpha in a sink because I'm a superstar, immediately took the battery out, took the sim card out, dried it the best I could, and put it in front of a fan for the next 3 days. Today, I put a fresh battery in, plugged it into my computer, turned it on, and it worked like it was brand new.

I called ATT and they were all like, well it's water damaged so there's no guarantees it won't explode tomorrow etc. but for now I just have the battery out and am keeping it in rice unless I absolutely need to use a phone. It's insured and I can get it replaced for 199$ but I'm just curious what the odds are that it will somehow continue to operate unscathed.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Eejit posted:

and a rumored Nexus made by LG with a 5.2" screen.

I thought Huawei was making the next Nexus. I haven't heard anything about LG doing it again.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

forever whatever posted:

I apologize if this is the wrong thread to post this in, but what is the longest anyone here has heard of a phone with water damage bouncing back? On the evening of the 9th I dropped a Galaxy Alpha in a sink because I'm a superstar, immediately took the battery out, took the sim card out, dried it the best I could, and put it in front of a fan for the next 3 days. Today, I put a fresh battery in, plugged it into my computer, turned it on, and it worked like it was brand new.

I called ATT and they were all like, well it's water damaged so there's no guarantees it won't explode tomorrow etc. but for now I just have the battery out and am keeping it in rice unless I absolutely need to use a phone. It's insured and I can get it replaced for 199$ but I'm just curious what the odds are that it will somehow continue to operate unscathed.
There's very little chance it will explode, you don't need to keep running it through a rice cycle and handling it like it's dangerous. Check it for corrosion periodically. If it stops working (there is a chance of that) then you can use your insurance.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Lblitzer posted:

I thought Huawei was making the next Nexus. I haven't heard anything about LG doing it again.

I heard that LG will make a Nexus 5 2015 and Huawei will make a Nexus 6 2015.

Who knows. :shrug:

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

RZA Encryption posted:

Touchwiz has allowed you to disable and hide system apps for years now. At this point it's a matter of preference though since they are at worst equal to the stock apps you'd find on any other Android device.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I think it depends on if you are using Google Voice or not. When I was still using hangouts for SMS, I was using carrier SMS and I could easily see who everyone was in the message.

This must be it since I use GV and hangouts and I can't tell at all who is in a group, and I can't really add people to a group message reliably.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

kri kri posted:

This must be it since I use GV and hangouts and I can't tell at all who is in a group, and I can't really add people to a group message reliably.

Yeah Google Voice does not support group MMS so you can't reply to the group; only to individuals. Incoming messages are shown individually and not as part of any group thread.

They've promised to enable actual working group MMS in the future but so far it hasn't happened.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

kri kri posted:

Wife only uses GV for voicemail and she has the same problem.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Rastor posted:

I heard that LG will make a Nexus 5 2015 and Huawei will make a Nexus 6 2015.

Who knows. :shrug:

Yeah, this is the current rumor. LG's Nexus will be 5.2" and the Huawei Nexus will be 5.7"

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Even if you hate the Samsung apps, the stock versions are on the store.

Not all of them. I really miss the dialer, contacts and clock apps from my N4

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ALFbrot posted:

I've got a 2014 Moto X that's been great, except for one issue:

When I'm driving, the Moto Assist feature that recognizes it and announces incoming texts/calls would be great, but the volume is incredibly low through my car speakers. I can't find anywhere to adjust this. I use a line-in to my car stereo, and music/navigation comes through perfectly loud and clear. Then, the music will suddenly stop, and if I'm at a stoplight or just crank the volume up really loud, I can just barely hear it announcing an incoming text and awaiting my response. I've looked through every volume setting, and nothing seems to help.

Does anyone else have this issue?

I have this issue on Bluetooth.

My own question regarding the Moto Assist thing: after it reads a text, it says something like "please say a response". Is there a way to just tell it "no"? It asked twice in a row before shutting up while I was driving, and I think that's a little unnecessary.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

hooah posted:

I have this issue on Bluetooth.

My own question regarding the Moto Assist thing: after it reads a text, it says something like "please say a response". Is there a way to just tell it "no"? It asked twice in a row before shutting up while I was driving, and I think that's a little unnecessary.

I think you can say "cancel".

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Any particular recommendations on qi charging pads? I'm sure the $8 ones do as good as the $20 ones, but are any of the $8 ones better than the rest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Super Dude posted:

I think you can say "cancel".

Yeah, also if it starts to do the Voice Assist thing you can say cancel in the middle of it and it usually shuts down for me.