Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
caedite eos. novit enim dominus qui sunt eius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Bolow posted:

he should have followed his brother by blowing his loving brains out
I thought he was plugged by the cops?

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Ironically, veterans are the single purest source of both absolute unquestioning support and loyalty, as well as absolutely unquestionable hatred and irrationally phrenic anger.

I think that since most isomers of veterans are readily soluble in Reagent Grade VA Healthcare (The most powerful of all organic solvents) the U.S. Government literally dissolves that problem into a slurry that's kept stable at room temperatures and becomes increasingly less volatile with the addition of long lived benzodiazepines and synthetic opioid derivatives that are named after how many magnitudes of order stronger they are compare to Ohmefentanyl.

I'm only 3/5ths kidding here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnsiZOJjfUg

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

USMC503 posted:

I never got why religious pacific is and people who are against the death penalty on the grounds of "god says forgive your enemies" can't figure out that forgiving someone doesn't make them not guilty of a crime nor less deserving of punishment.

Forgive your enemies all you want. They still need to loving die.

It's cheaper to just lock them up for life, if new evidence comes to light it's easy (er) to let them go, justice delayed (by years of constant appeals) is justice denied, for some reason all the really good ways to kill people are now frowned upon which means we have to use mystery drugs the states won't talk about to kill people, most of the rest of the world doesn't like it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Ironically, veterans are the single purest source of both absolute unquestioning support and loyalty, as well as absolutely unquestionable hatred and irrationally phrenic anger.

I think that since most isomers of veterans are readily soluble in Reagent Grade VA Healthcare (The most powerful of all organic solvents) the U.S. Government literally dissolves that problem into a slurry that's kept stable at room temperatures and becomes increasingly less volatile with the addition of long lived benzodiazepines and synthetic opioid derivatives that are named after how many magnitudes of order stronger they are compare to Ohmefentanyl.

I'm only 3/5ths kidding here.

Not going to lie, Shim But Without Jokes is starting to get a lil grating.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Full Battle Rattle posted:

The most hilarious part of this (to me) is that if all this is true (apparently it all stems from one un-named source) is that Zero Dark Thirty is complete bullshit, instead of just mostly bullshit. No heroic SEALs, no plucky CIA firebrand, nothing.

So at what point does the crashed 'stealth' Black Hawk play into this exciting new fantasy?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

lightpole posted:

It's cheaper to just lock them up for life, if new evidence comes to light it's easy (er) to let them go, justice delayed (by years of constant appeals) is justice denied, for some reason all the really good ways to kill people are now frowned upon which means we have to use mystery drugs the states won't talk about to kill people, most of the rest of the world doesn't like it.
What kind of bizarro math are you doing where babysitting someone for the rest of their life is cheaper than getting rid of them entirely? I've said it before: I can take care of your executions for about fifty cents a pop.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Utah brought back the firing squad. Why can't Boston?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Spicy Guacamole posted:

What kind of bizarro math are you doing where babysitting someone for the rest of their life is cheaper than getting rid of them entirely? I've said it before: I can take care of your executions for about fifty cents a pop.

That's the Texas method, everyone else spends a lot of money on appeals and stuff so they can actually be somewhat sure they're not executing an innocent person.

Personally, I don't see much of a point in killing a caged animal. I'm not much for revenge and that's all the death penalty is since it doesn't actually do anything to drop crime rates.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Dude, I can hook you up with some of that Brown Bear Russian ammo, and you can get it done for half that, or less.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nepal just got smacked with a 7.3 earthquake

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Nepal just got smacked with a 7.3 earthquake

Google's gonna be looking for yet another executive soon?

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Spicy Guacamole posted:

If you jack the cost of execution up by locking them up for years on end prior to executing them while you appeal it over and over all the way to the USSC and then count the costs of that period of incarceration (when they would have been in prison anyhow) and call it part of the costs of execution then yeah, its funny how execution quickly becomes 'too expensive.'

Meanwhile , you won't see the costs of all the bullshit lawsuits and appeals filed by life sentence felons counted as part of the costs of a life sentence.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kiryen posted:

If you jack the cost of execution up by locking them up for years on end prior to executing them while you appeal it over and over all the way to the USSC and then count the costs of that period of incarceration (when they would have been in prison anyhow) and call it part of the costs of execution then yeah, its funny how execution quickly becomes 'too expensive.'

Meanwhile , you won't see the costs of all the bullshit lawsuits and appeals filed by life sentence felons counted as part of the costs of a life sentence.

If you cut down on appeals, then you're running the risk of having either the JD or SCOTUS decide that you're not providing proper due process before execution. As it stands, Texas probably already executed an innocent man so the system already has enough holes.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
we manage to kill enough people without putting in some sort of death row express lane

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

That's the Texas method, everyone else spends a lot of money on appeals and stuff so they can actually be somewhat sure they're not executing an innocent person.

Personally, I don't see much of a point in killing a caged animal. I'm not much for revenge and that's all the death penalty is since it doesn't actually do anything to drop crime rates.

I forgot that last one.

I just listed all the reasons against the death penalty so there's no need to argue with me but I am uncomfortable to the extreme with executing innocent people even if the rate was 1:100 or something(it's not).

All the appeals add to the cost of executing someone.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

USMC503 posted:

I never got why religious pacifists and people who are against the death penalty on the grounds of "god says forgive your enemies" can't figure out that forgiving someone doesn't make them not guilty of a crime nor less deserving of punishment.

Forgive your enemies all you want. They still need to loving die.

I don't think anybody said Tsarnaev wasn't guilty or shouldn't be punished. "Jesus says forgive your enemies" only works on Christians, but in a country that some believe to be a 'Christian Nation' it is occasionally possible to convince or shame people into listening to their stated professions of faith rather than the worst instincts of their culture.

The broader issue is whether our decision-making process in matters like this should be governed by legitimate emotions of rage and a vengeance or by something a little cooler.

Kiryen posted:

Because life sentences, even life sentences without the possibility of parole, don't get any where near the same care and attention as a death penalty case. As in, easily two orders of magnitude difference in time and money on a death case vs. a non-death case.

Kiryen posted:

This comes back to the question of whether we should run a system of 'justice' like the Tsarnaevs did, fueled on impotent rage and lust for vengeance, or whether we're better than that. Honor killings are pretty drat cheap, as Spicy Guacamole and MrYenko pointed out, but then you're kinda stuck in terms of cultures and societies that share your values.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
people dont want justice; they just want someone, anyone to be punished. we get off on people having bad things happen to them and there is no bigger bucket filling cum explosion than a dude getting killed.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

go3 posted:

people dont want justice; they just want someone, anyone to be punished. we get off on people having bad things happen to them and there is no bigger bucket filling cum explosion than a dude getting killed.

We have to change this negative paradigm bro! Turn that frown upside down!

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
instate the penal legions so our felons can die with honor :911:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2015/05/07/404648512/afghan-army-makes-progress-will-government-services-follow

An ok article about Afghanistan, not great but ok

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Prop Wash posted:

[Afghanistan, not great but ok

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Prop Wash posted:

Afghanistan, poo poo all around.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Prop Wash posted:

Afghanistan, not ok

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Prop Wash posted:

Afghanistan, nuke it from orbit

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I'm waiting for train avatar to tell me what I should think about that article.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

instate the penal legions so our felons can die with honor :911:

Do like that lovely loving movie Gamer and have them fight in IRL deathmatches and be controlled by whiny 15 year old FPS players. USA gets a new bloodsport and takes care of the overpopulation problem in prisons at the same time.

E: if that's not to your taste, Running Man seems like a good idea.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 12, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Can we give death row inmates $100 each and a plane ticket to Afghanistan? This problem will work itself out or something.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Godholio posted:

Can we give death row inmates $100 each and a plane ticket to Afghanistan? This problem will work itself out or something.

That would be an overall improvement in Taliban operations

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Godholio posted:

Hey now, look what happened last time white people sent their prisoners to the shithole of the world. We wouldn't want a repeat of that.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Syncopated posted:

Hey now, look what happened last time white people sent their prisoners to the shithole of the world. We wouldn't want a repeat of that.

Aussies are cool what the gently caress are you talking about

Georgia does loving suck though so I guess it's a coinflip

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

Godholio posted:

Nah, we should exploit them for our entertainment and make that poo poo live on PPV and deathmatch.com.

orange juche posted:

Do like that lovely loving movie Gamer and have them fight in IRL deathmatches and be controlled by whiny 15 year old FPS players. USA gets a new bloodsport and takes care of the overpopulation problem in prisons at the same time.

E: if that's not to your taste, Running Man seems like a good idea.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

go3 posted:

there is no bigger bucket filling cum explosion than a dude getting killed.

Thread title?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Dingleberry posted:

Thread title?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looks like North Korea is going to be getting a new Defense Chief....cause the current one just got executed...by an Anti Aircraft gun.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-32716749

Edit
This keeps getting better. Apparently he was because he took a nap.
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0NY01J20150513?irpc=932

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 13, 2015

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

gfanikf posted:

Looks like North Korea is going to be getting a new Defense Chief....cause the current one just got executed...by an Anti Aircraft gun.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-32716749

Edit
This keeps getting better. Apparently he was because he took a nap.
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0NY01J20150513?irpc=932

What's "York" in Korean?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

bitcoin bastard posted:

What's "York" in Korean?

"Kim" is probably a safe bet.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
Do you want the Kim news or the Kim news?

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

stick this at the end of that gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Marine Huey missing in Nepal. :ohdear:

• Locked thread