Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Still up for pre-order to me.

Had to cancel my order a few weeks ago for bank issues and I'm glad of it. Wanna support Splatoon and all, but spending over half the price of another game when Xenoblade X and Yoshi's Woolly World are coming up just doesn't make sense, specially since it's only the lightest of level remixes they'll unlock.

Clearly this is a hint at other control options for Zelda U. We'll have to buy the Nintendo Control Strap and tie a wiimote plus to the pro controller for co-op. Two gamepads is still too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I hope the full version of this lets you switch weapons between rounds.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Spacebump posted:

I hope the full version of this lets you switch weapons between rounds.

They haven't said for certain but I don't think you can. They only have two maps in rotation at any given time so you know what maps you're getting into, and you just have to pick your loadout based on that beforehand.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I am excited for Squid Fortress.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Christ, this makes Splatoon the second game of theirs with a post-apocalyptic setting (other one being Pikmin). Nintendo's venturing into dark territory, their core racket might be T-rated games pretty soon.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Cabbagepots posted:

Christ, this makes Splatoon the second game of theirs with a post-apocalyptic setting (other one being Pikmin). Nintendo's venturing into dark territory, they might be making T-rated games pretty soon.

Pikmin takes place on an alien planet though? How is that post-apocalyptic?

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

mabels big day posted:

Pikmin takes place on an alien planet though? How is that post-apocalyptic?

The planet is constantly stated to be Earth, as evidenced by the fact that the Hocotatians keep finding human garbage and salvaging it as treasure, like bottle caps, batteries and toys. Miyamoto also says that it's an Earth where humans are extinct.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Cabbagepots posted:

The planet is constantly stated to be Earth, as evidenced by the fact that the Hocotatians keep finding human garbage and salvaging it as treasure, like bottle caps, batteries and toys. Miyamoto also says that it's an Earth where humans are extinct.

edit: oh okay

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Cabbagepots posted:

I was going to jokingly argue against it being earth but if Miyamoto actually said it was canon then gently caress it

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Cabbagepots posted:

Christ, this makes Splatoon the second game of theirs with a post-apocalyptic setting (other one being Pikmin). Nintendo's venturing into dark territory, their core racket might be T-rated games pretty soon.

The Star Fox setting is a scenario where Planet of the Apes happened with all animals.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

mr.capps posted:

The Star Fox setting is a scenario where Planet of the Apes happened with all animals.

I...is that why Falco knows who Einstein was?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Hello I was far away all weekend, is the gyro aiming controls cumbersome or does it feel okay? I know we can't have keyboard & mouse precision but it seems like an awkward necessity compared to non-gyro controllers but it's the only thing making me nervous about this game, is moving such a wide controller being uncomfortable.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Reiley posted:

Hello I was far away all weekend, is the gyro aiming controls cumbersome or does it feel okay? I know we can't have keyboard & mouse precision but it seems like an awkward necessity compared to non-gyro controllers but it's the only thing making me nervous about this game, is moving such a wide controller being uncomfortable.

It works pretty well, not as good as kbam obviously, but a million times better than twin sticks. As far as I could tell there was no stickiness on target or auto aim.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Limited intelligence, picture of wii-u shown along with it.

Even Nintendo recognizes that their system is poo poo.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Reiley posted:

It clicked for me when I started using the stick to aim left and right and the gyro to aim vertically. I think it feels great when you get used to it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cabbagepots posted:

Nah, its just the outwardly-cute-but-secretly-kinda-dark thing. You can do that forever and still get away with E / PG ratings.

See: Adventure Time. (If you've never looked into it, that world is super grimdark; Finn is the last surviving human after an apocalyptic war and is hallucinating the adventures because he cannot deal with the loss.)

mr.capps posted:

Also in the original uniforms the entire Star Fox cast had their legs amputated and replaced with robot legs so they could handle extreme G forces better.

I believe the Starfox Adventures and onwards version of 'Fox did away with that and he has boots now, though.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 12, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Reiley posted:

Personally I didn't like the gyro controls. I could see them working really well for some people, they were accurate, but running & gunning just felt too weird to me that way.

Luckily doing dual stick controls feels great if you're used to third person shooters. I figure the gyro controls are for kids and old people who don't play many games, especially shooters, to help it seem less intimidating and more fun. Nintendo's other audience.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The gyro is for good players and dual sticks is for scrub babies so they don't start crying.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

Lemming posted:

It works pretty well, not as good as kbam obviously, but a million times better than twin sticks. As far as I could tell there was no stickiness on target or auto aim.

There was slight auto aim once you had your reticle in the general vicinity of a target, nothing that forced your camera to move though (i guess that's stickiness)

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Cabbagepots posted:

It could also be that Inklings evolved from humans, or perhaps ALL the crazy animal-things evolved from humans.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Personally I didn't like the gyro controls. I could see them working really well for some people, they were accurate, but running & gunning just felt too weird to me that way.

Luckily doing dual stick controls feels great if you're used to third person shooters. I figure the gyro controls are for kids and old people who don't play many games, especially shooters, to help it seem less intimidating and more fun. Nintendo's other audience.

The gyros seem like they're there for tryhards, actually, and I appreciate them and I'm glad to hear they feel okay, adjustment periods aside.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Reiley posted:

First of all, there's sensitivity settings and a quick camera reset button. It's easy enough to get the controls in a way where moving them is comfortable.

As for them actually being good, yeah, I think so. Motion control gives you a lot more flexibility for aiming than sticks, and the stick is there for turning anyway. If you played the Zelda Nintendo Land game then you've got exactly how it works. In terms of precision, motion control wins out over sticks, hands down. I'd argue that for some, it might even win out over a mouse. It's certainly closer to WASD and mouse than sticks are.

That said, if you've been playing twin stick shooters for years and have never used the gyro aiming, yeah, you're gonna find the former more comfortable. If you're indifferent, you'll likely enjoy the gyro controls better.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Trasson posted:

First of all, there's sensitivity settings and a quick camera reset button. It's easy enough to get the controls in a way where moving them is comfortable.

As for them actually being good, yeah, I think so. Motion control gives you a lot more flexibility for aiming than sticks, and the stick is there for turning anyway. If you played the Zelda Nintendo Land game then you've got exactly how it works. In terms of precision, motion control wins out over sticks, hands down. I'd argue that for some, it might even win out over a mouse. It's certainly closer to WASD and mouse than sticks are.

That said, if you've been playing twin stick shooters for years and have never used the gyro aiming, yeah, you're gonna find the former more comfortable. If you're indifferent, you'll likely enjoy the gyro controls better.

Dosvidanya said there was some slight auto-aim but I'm not convinced. If there isn't any, or any reticle stickiness, then people playing twin stick shooters for a while will probably do a lot worse than usual actually!

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
I went back and looked at my footage. There's reticle change when you're guaranteed to hit something with the charger (distance factored in) that felt like it was more forgiving the farther away you are and I missed some pointblank shots that would have been autoaimed.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dosvidanya posted:

I went back and looked at my footage. There's reticle change when you're guaranteed to hit something with the charger (distance factored in) that felt like it was more forgiving the farther away you are and I missed some pointblank shots that would have been autoaimed.

The charger thing sounds like it could be that the shot hitbox or whatever you'd call it could be getting a bit larger the further away it is. That wouldn't be auto aim, I think. I think the reticle gives you the little lines when you're in range no matter what weapon you're using (maybe barring the roller, it has the little arc thing instead of a reticle).

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the charger thing is a trick, don't believe is lies, its to help the people you are aiming at to know "oh poo poo i am about to die"

our own weapons, betray us

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Best Buy is doing a Splatoon stream thing right now: https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/ccrc6hgpteeuoddava7jimq5bo8 EDIT: this is just some google hangouts bullshit I guess? Oops!

Best Buy Canada is gonna have in-store demo units soon, too.

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before
The Hangout stream didn't really reveal anything the Direct hadn't mentioned already, though there was a note regarding making money to buy your stylin' duds: After you're done playing a number of Turfwar/multiplayer rounds, you can talk to Judd at the Base and he'll give you bonus money depending on how you did. :3:

Jintor
May 19, 2014

it did reveal that squids have three hearts

THREE

HEARTS

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

So wait, does this mean that this is confirmed?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

No it does not.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, Splatoon is actually part of the Zelda timeline.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

chumbler posted:

Yeah, Splatoon is actually part of the Zelda timeline.

Zelda and Mario are part of the same timeline, see Mario Kart 8 or Smash Bros. Mario Kart 8 seems to take place some time after Skyward Sword.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 13, 2015

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Nintendo's video games are slowly becoming comicbooks when it comes to continuity, most discussions about Links already sound almost as crazy as discussions about the Summers family.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Splatoon is the epilogue for Jumping Flash and the Inklings are evolved muumuus

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

mr.capps posted:

Nintendo's video games are slowly becoming comicbooks when it comes to continuity, most discussions about Links already sound almost as crazy as discussions about the Summers family.

Oh no, Zelda was taken over by the Triforce again :ohdear:

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Spacebump posted:

Zelda and Mario are part of the same timeline, see Mario Kart 8 or Smash Bros. Mario Kart 8 seems to take place some time after Skyward Sword.

excuse me, but the mario karts and smash bros. are clearly e-canon works, and therefore completely unrelated to official m-canon material

:goonsay:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Oh, no.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Oh no, Zelda was taken over by the Triforce again :ohdear:

If you take Days of Future Past but add in Link you get Majora's Mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mr.capps posted:

The problem is that Zelda was never meant to have a continuity; Link is like the Dread Pirate Roberts. Its a legend passed down but different dudes take up the name over time.

But then turbospergs couldn't handle that and demanded a canon so Nintendo gave them one.

Boy howdy did they give them one :stonk:

• Locked thread