Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
A while back I was going down a one-way street downtown with 45* parking on the right side. I watched as a car turned right to park, moving across the bicycle lane, and cutting off a cyclist so hard that he t-boned the car at full speed. People are loving dicks.

TBH the only thing I want to see from cyclists is that they don't run red lights and stop signs when traffic is present. If they can just do that one thing then we're cool. We have bigger issues in this city. Like people jogging in a seven-lane road during rush hour right beside a sidewalk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I think that two very different vehicle classes, with disjoint cruising speeds, masses, and protective and collision characteristics, being separated by a brave strip of paint on the asphalt is a great triumph of civil engineering genius

Not

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I think that two very different vehicle classes, with disjoint cruising speeds, masses, and protective and collision characteristics, being separated by a brave strip of paint on the asphalt is a great triumph of civil engineering genius

Not

I think people have been trying to figure out a better way for a while.

That said, I don't get why people freak out about the situation. A cyclist cannot and should not expect to have the same rights granted him as a full vehicle. That sucks, but that's the world - you are taking a risk that hugely unfavors you when you turn onto any public roadway. If you ride a bicycle you're knowingly going out into a place where tremendous imbalances of power, awareness and consequence exist.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I bet that tune would change real quick if there were some stiffer penalties. Hit a cyclist? Go to jail. I mean yeah it's not going to help anyone biking right now but once it seeps into the culture it could make life better for everyone.

As it is right now no one gives two shits about bikers (powered and unpowered, really). Even police investigating accidents have an open bias against them.

Of course I also think that cyclists using the public road should need a license to do so and get ticketed for running stop signs. :angel:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Bicycles should need to carry insurance and register their bikes/display plates. A few years back some fuckwit hit a friend's car passing on the shoulder at a red light and took off without a word. Managed to do almost four digits in paint damage somehow.

If they had a registration plate like any other road vehicle they could have been tracked down by it after the fact. Too much traffic for her to have tried to chase him down even if she had realized the damage done right away

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Not

In some places we've taken away an entire car lane of traffic and turned it into half elevated sidewalk, half bike lane so that bicyclists are separated from multi-tonne lifted body on frame vehicles driven by texters with two inches of concrete curb.

Which is awesome fun when it's covered by snow in the winter. I've seen some tremendously bent wheels over the last year.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

PCOS Bill posted:

Bicycles should need to carry insurance and register their bikes/display plates. A few years back some fuckwit hit a friend's car passing on the shoulder at a red light and took off without a word. Managed to do almost four digits in paint damage somehow.

If they had a registration plate like any other road vehicle they could have been tracked down by it after the fact. Too much traffic for her to have tried to chase him down even if she had realized the damage done right away

Yeah this idea will never work. Imagine having to put a loving ID plate and get insurance for your 4yr old kid playing on his bike in the street. Ridiculous.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

88h88 posted:

Yeah this idea will never work. Imagine having to put a loving ID plate and get insurance for your 4yr old kid playing on his bike in the street. Ridiculous.

Why are you letting your four year old play in the street?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Roadside bike lanes are sometimes completely dogshit though

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

PCOS Bill posted:

Why are you letting your four year old play in the street?

...because it's a totally normal thing to let my hypothetical children do.

*edit: though you asking this explains an awful lot about why other people seem to dislike you a whole lot.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 12, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I think that's technically a shoulder. :v:

I'm not sure if it law or convention but if it's not marked as a bike lane, it's just extra pavement.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

That was a superhumanly fast reaction from the rider directly behind him.

That had to hurt.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

That's an amazing flip and the guy behind does a great dodge.

E, f: b

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I don't think he's actually dodging. He's running into the guy's arm which pushes him around.

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
Dashcams are for bikes too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guFfYYxjwyE

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I had a guy do that to me with traffic coming the opposite direction recently [edit: not bicycling, on my motorcycle, so it was totally illegal]. I think I posted it in this thread, but sans video. gently caress other drivers.

PCOS Bill fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 12, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Happens all the loving time. Garbage truck picking up a load? UPS van? Construction vehicles? Double yellows cease to hold any meaning whatsoever and traffic will gleefully dive into the oncoming lanes to get around the obstruction even if there's cars already in the way.

It's fruitless but I lay on the horn anyways, it makes me feel better. Just because your lane is blocked doesn't mean I have to give up my right of way. :colbert:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
OH! That reminds me of ... Sunday? Sunday.

I'm coming up a long hill, my poor little car chugging away. There's a car parked normally on the downhill about halfway up, a woman starts down the hill in an SUV, sees me coming up (I presume), sees the car parked there, absolutely floors it while driving down the middle of the road to get to and around the car before me just as I'm reaching it, lays on her horn because she almost hits me head-on even though I stopped with plenty of room (We could have passed each other where the car was parked if she wasn't driving in the dead-center of the road) and starts screaming out her window at me.

With a car full of little kids.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I always maintain a fairly simple guideline: You've got wheels, you're on the road, you're a vehicle. loving act like it. Never encountered any issues myself while cycling by keeping that mindset.

Nothing much you can do about the idiots who run reds and generally pick and choose when they want to think of themselves as pedestrians instead, but in an ideal world that's a problem that'd solve itself in a fairly terminal fashion.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

PCOS Bill posted:

OH! That reminds me of ... Sunday? Sunday.

I'm coming up a long hill, my poor little car chugging away. There's a car parked normally on the downhill about halfway up, a woman starts down the hill in an SUV, sees me coming up (I presume), sees the car parked there, absolutely floors it while driving down the middle of the road to get to and around the car before me just as I'm reaching it, lays on her horn because she almost hits me head-on even though I stopped with plenty of room (We could have passed each other where the car was parked if she wasn't driving in the dead-center of the road) and starts screaming out her window at me.

With a car full of little kids.

these are the times you need a spit cup ready to toss out the window

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

xzzy posted:

Happens all the loving time. Garbage truck picking up a load? UPS van? Construction vehicles? Double yellows cease to hold any meaning whatsoever and traffic will gleefully dive into the oncoming lanes to get around the obstruction even if there's cars already in the way.

In Colorado what that truck did was perfectly legal. He even gave the biker the requisite 3 feet. As long as it's clear, double yellows do not have to be obeyed when passing a bicycle. It was widely publicized a year or two ago when there was the video of that rear end in a top hat who rode 2 feet off the rear end of a bicyclist with his horn blaring the whole time, instead of passing as he was legally allowed to do.

What I hate are when bicyclists ride on a road like this instead of the beautiful bike lane that their taxes paid for that is safely 30-40 feet off the roadway. I encounter cyclists on this stretch of road all the time. The bike lane is even marked and outfitted with proper stop signs and yield signs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

I had a line of cars do this without looking at me in the opposite lane. I had to actually stop, lay on my horn, and flip everyone off.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
There are plenty of reasons I don't ride on paths or even in some bike lanes. Downtown, the bike lanes are separated, between parked cars and the sidewalk with no buffer. So filled with pedestrians and people getting in/out of their cars, and then through intersections it shifts over and goes back out into the street.

When I'm riding, my average moving speed is about 20mph, which is a completely inappropriate speed for those bike lanes, so I just ride in the road.

Regular bike lanes are generally cool, but sometimes they haven't been swept in awhile and are filled with gravel and broken glass. You don't notice that in your car, but you definitely do with fragile tires that are less than an inch wide.

Then as far as multi use paths go, once again, inappropriate for the speed I ride. People jogging with headphones, walking dogs, pushing strollers, little kids on bikes, etc. Then at every street you have a cross walk. When you're on the through street you don't have to slow down at every intersection.

So I don't ride some places because I either have to slow down or don't want to get a flat tire. But a driver gets upset because they have to slow down slightly for a short period of time, and expects me to inconvenience myself for their benefit?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

LloydDobler posted:

In Colorado what that truck did was perfectly legal. He even gave the biker the requisite 3 feet. As long as it's clear, double yellows do not have to be obeyed when passing a bicycle. It was widely publicized a year or two ago when there was the video of that rear end in a top hat who rode 2 feet off the rear end of a bicyclist with his horn blaring the whole time, instead of passing as he was legally allowed to do.

What I hate are when bicyclists ride on a road like this instead of the beautiful bike lane that their taxes paid for that is safely 30-40 feet off the roadway. I encounter cyclists on this stretch of road all the time. The bike lane is even marked and outfitted with proper stop signs and yield signs.

People like to walk three or four abreast on bike paths where I live. Even with clear signage along the bike path to stay right and not block the path. Everyone hates cyclists.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

eriddy posted:

I think people have been trying to figure out a better way for a while.
The Dutch have already figured it out, it's just that most places in the US don't want to spend the money on it. (Although there's cultural differences behind that, a lot of it is a feedback loop from our existing infrastructure making it harder to bike than drive.)

Instead we get half-assed efforts that don't appeal very much to cyclists and may not actually do much for their safety.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

LloydDobler posted:

Are you in Fort Collins? Massive network of totally separate bike lanes there, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that cyclists ride on the road anyway because, well, they're cyclists.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

I always maintain a fairly simple guideline: You've got wheels, you're on the road, you're a vehicle. loving act like it. Never encountered any issues myself while cycling by keeping that mindset.

I adhere to this line of thinking. This tends to annoy some drivers but that's mainly because they never look ahead whilst driving which is loving scary to think about. Multiple times I've had some dicklord race past me only to almost go piling into the back of whatever was 50ft further up the road.

People are bad and dumb and I wish they weren't (both cyclists and drivers).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know that specific bike path but the ones I've seen can be extremely random. They have a bad habit of coming to a dead end in really inconvenient areas or swerve off in some direction the cyclist may not want to travel.

The main road system is built to get cars efficiently between two points. Many bike paths are crammed into leftover gaps and weave around like the pavement crew was drunk.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

No.

No no no. No no no no no.

Drive around Amsterdam and you'll understand. It's absolutely manic with the cyclists there.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
On Saturday, I was heading south towards San Francisco on 101 and a huge gold bastard 740Li with paper plates decided he's too important to look and almost changed lanes into me. We both swerved away from each other at about the same time.

I like to imagine the car's lane departure system screaming at him and waking him the gently caress up :v:

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

davebo posted:

I don't think he's actually dodging. He's running into the guy's arm which pushes him around.

He's even got his head down admiring his pumping legs until he runs into him.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Was going 80 in a 65 on the way home today and still got tailgated by a jackass in a Mercedes. What is it about luxury cars and rear end in a top hat dudebros?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Protocol7 posted:

Was going 80 in a 65 on the way home today and still got tailgated by a jackass in a Mercedes. What is it about luxury cars and rear end in a top hat dudebros?

If it's a 65 zone there's presumably multiple lanes, so insert the standard 20 posts about just letting the person pass here.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Mooseykins posted:

No.

No no no. No no no no no.

Drive around Amsterdam and you'll understand. It's absolutely manic with the cyclists there.

Why would I drive around Amsterdam when I can just ride my bike

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
There is nightly construction on a 25mph 270 degree loop ramp that sucks balls when not under construction. Monday morning at 6am the ramp was open and there was hardly any sign of the construction. There were no cones or barriers off to the side, just a gray area where the asphalt was milled, which is ironic since less than 6 months ago this very ramp was resurfaced. This morning at 6am, I approached the ramp at the posted speed, the only change I notice at first was the milled area extended even further and then HOLY gently caress I was in a four wheel drift heading towards the barrier because they left the road covered in gravel that completely blended in with the milled surface. Two hours later I was in my work truck sitting in a traffic jam while the highway patrol attempted to scrape a pickup off the guard rail that almost caught me earlier in the morning.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

wolrah posted:

If it's a 65 zone there's presumably multiple lanes, so insert the standard 20 posts about just letting the person pass here.

I tried to, couldn't (comfortably). The unfortunate thing about tailgaters is not wanting to brake on them, even if your intent is to merge.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
2 miles of highway
3 wrecks
10 cars

Because it rained. God bless Texas drivers y'all.

NO BROS FOR HOES
Apr 19, 2007

go3 posted:

2 miles of highway
3 wrecks
10 cars

Because it rained. God bless Texas drivers y'all.

You'd think with how much rain there's been lately that people would learn. :smith:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Here's a double-dose of cyclists trying to earn Darwin Awards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dvVmcsawaE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL4P7OnnPZM

Notice the no right turn sign in the second one, the cyclist was riding the wrong way on a one-way street (cammer is at the intersection of 4th and H in DC) so the bus driver had no reason to expect anything coming from that direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's pretty good summary of why everyone hates cyclists on public roads.

If they could just follow the rules of the road there would be zero issues.