Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Esser-Z posted:

Well, he DID consider the possibility that people WOULD buy tons and tons of cards. Then he decided if that happened, well, they would have lots of money, so they could deal with it later.

Which is about what happened, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

FMguru posted:

(he also never figured people would put together card lists and exchange them on the internet (which, at the time of the game's design, consisted entirely of CS grad students using Sun workstations after hours).

As someone who was alive and his teenage years back then you are 100% full of poo poo.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/596930753063071745

quote:

@JamesRodwick Please clarify this for my group. The reach with a pole arm is 5 and 10 when attacking.

That is what the text implies, but the intent is that a reach weapon increases your reach for OAs too. @Wizards_DnD
— Jeremy Crawford (@JeremyECrawford) May 9, 2015

How long til Mearls contradicts him again?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Richard Garfield then made Vampire: the Eternal Struggle having learned a lot of lessons from magic. Too bad the game's dead now. :smith:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

MonsieurChoc posted:

Richard Garfield then made Vampire: the Eternal Struggle having learned a lot of lessons from magic. Too bad the game's dead now. :smith:
I met some freaks people that still (apparently) play that all the time. When they find out that you actually know what it is the first thing through their fangs is OhMyGodDoYouHaveAnyCardsCanIGetThemFromYou.

So its not quite dead (har).

He also designed the original Netrunner, which is pretty ok in its current incarnation as a non-"collectible" game.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

FRINGE posted:

I met some freaks people that still (apparently) play that all the time. When they find out that you actually know what it is the first thing through their fangs is OhMyGodDoYouHaveAnyCardsCanIGetThemFromYou.

So its not quite dead (har).

He also designed the original Netrunner, which is pretty ok in its current incarnation as a non-"collectible" game.

I had a group where we played every week with our fun gimmicky decks like the dude who based one on Pinky and the Brain or my "Ghost of a Chance" Giovanni end of the world deck. I miss those guys.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Fun fact - Ryan Dancey tried to intentionally kill this after being put in charge of it, because he personally disliked it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

Fun fact - Ryan Dancey tried to intentionally kill this after being put in charge of it, because he personally disliked it.

I... but... I mean... Goddamit white wolf, I bought cards! I HAVE FIVE DIFERRENT AFRICAN DECKS! WHY!? :argh:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

MonsieurChoc posted:

I... but... I mean... Goddamit white wolf, I bought cards! I HAVE FIVE DIFERRENT AFRICAN DECKS! WHY!? :argh:

Wasn't White Wolf at the time. They had to wrest it away from his hands and revive it. He later got his revenge when he was hired on to CCP after White Wolf was bought and declared their actual ttgs would only be a legacy product and that they'd be refocused only to work on the MMO.

Which was of course later cancelled miserably.

As to "why," it's because Ryan Dancey is hilarious cyanide to this industry and has failed at literally everything he's ever tried to do in it (and beyond it) and yet continues to get hired.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
L5R was pretty great. It was lined up to stay in a pretty great spot until WotC poo poo on the entire industry with a patent on "turning cards sideways".

WotC took over, switched to lovely ink, cheap card stock, summoned (ha) a problem with the Olympic Committee (that had never cared about this nerd card game before), and then gave the crippled game back to AEG.

quote:

Wizards of the Coast holds U.S. Patent 5,662,332 on trading card games. The patent, filed in October 1995 and granted in September 1997, covers:

* Games published in the form of trading cards.
* Games in which a player selects a collection of tradeable elements
and uses that set to compete with other players.
* Certain aspects of gameplay originally developed for Magic: The Gathering,
such as "tapping" a card to indicate it is temporarily depleted.

As a holder of the patent, Wizards of the Coast has requested that all trading card game publishers license the mechanics described in the patent, usually for a royalty fee based on total sales.

That was the death of a whole bunch of entertaining but minor games. Im not going digging to check right now, but that was approx the year that Star Wars, Over the Edge, and (the mostly unknown, but loved by me at the time) Heresy all disappeared.

(Heresy was the first card game I remember that used a split mechanic for the playing areas. You had the real world and the (forgot the term, but basically:) matrix. Fallen angels, cults, biker gangs, biblical artifacts, bombs... it was fun. The fallen angels were trying to stash spirit juice in the matrix so they could blast their way back into heaven. Orbital strike platforms vs Sammael and Gabriel.)

WotC. Shits on everything it touches but had a patent to print money. But hey, they made 3e! :suicide:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
If you want to talk AEG and the death of card games - including what was almost the near death of L5R - you can't ignore the "Rolling Thunder paradigm," yes that was the name, which was meant to trade rarity with scarcity. Instead of one big expansion every few months, you'd have a ton of "mini" episodes released every month. Instead of a relatively small number of rare cards, there would be a strip of "uncommon" cards, with each episode intentionally printed out one step smaller then general demand was to ensure they'd sell out.

What actually happened is players either immediately got the cards they wanted or could never get the cards they wanted, lost all interest due to the lack of rare cards providing the cool moment of opening a booster, and game stores were swamped with product they couldn't sell because every month poo poo was obsolete and updated.

Guess who came up with that idea?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Guess who came up with that idea?

Hahaha, holy poo poo. Honestly, it's hitting the point where Ryan Dancey is actually starting to really impress me because he's got to be amazing at talking his way into these projects.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Ryan Dancey is the Steve Jobs of self-marketing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FRINGE posted:

L5R was pretty great. It was lined up to stay in a pretty great spot until WotC poo poo on the entire industry with a patent on "turning cards sideways".
:psyduck: I thought you couldn't patent "rules", or is that just a thing that's specific to TRPGs/D&D/OSR D&D?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

theironjef posted:

Reading about how the game used to be built with this assumption is like finding one of those MTG cards that references ante to me. I first think "People actually had fun with that and weren't massive tools to each other immediately?" and then think "Oh no wait it wouldn't have died if that was the case."

From personal experience, ante was an excuse used by older kids to bully younger ones out of their cards, and caused the game to be banned from many, many schoolyards.

gradenko_2000 posted:

:psyduck: I thought you couldn't patent "rules", or is that just a thing that's specific to TRPGs/D&D/OSR D&D?

I'm pretty sure the patent in question (which I believe is expired anyway) only refers to the terminology of turning cards sideways being called "tapping". Of course, I exclusively played Magic at the time, only caring about other card games to laugh at them, so I might not be the best person to ask. Still, the Sim City and Highlander card games were sure funny, weren't they?

Kai Tave posted:

Given the salty response you received from diehard Elric: the RPG fans, you of all people should know how willing people are in this hobby to cling to outmoded concepts and make them part of their self-identity without even fully understanding why.

Man, I loving love Elric, and Michael Moorcock is one of my absolute favorite authors, but I thought that poo poo was hilarious, even when I viciously disagreed. I'm a big enough boy that I can take criticism of things I like. I've never understood why people get so mad about different opinions. I found it to be a very Tucker Stone-esque contemptuous takedown. I think it's good to laugh at things you like sometimes.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 12, 2015

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I could see potential for some manner of ante in the lcg market since everything goes back in the same box afterwards. Kind of a Risk: Legacy deal.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

VtES is going through a kind of a revival right now, actually. Fans have started to release free print-and-play expansion sets and everything. Tournament legal too, because the same fans are the ones organizing them.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Also, Orson Scott Card has never written a good book, sorry bro. :smaug:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

Man, I loving love Elric, and Michael Moorcock is one of my absolute favorite authors, but I thought that poo poo was hilarious, even when I viciously disagreed. I'm a big enough boy that I can take criticism of things I like. I've never understood why people get so mad about different opinions. I found it to be a very Tucker Stone-esque contemptuous takedown. I think it's good to laugh at things you like sometimes.

I also thought a critique of Elric exclusively based on how the setting and character are presented in the RPG was actually pretty worthwhile and interesting. It's sort of like if you've never heard of Superman and critiqued him based on Superman 64.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 10:29 on May 12, 2015

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lightning Lord posted:

I also thought a critique of Elric exclusively based on how the setting and character are presented in the RPG was actually pretty worthwhile and interesting. It's sort of like if you've never heard of Superman and critiqued him based on Superman 64.

Link? I'm curious now.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Splicer posted:

Link? I'm curious now.

http://systemmasterypodcast.com/2015/03/02/stormbringer-system-mastery-38/

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ProfessorCirno posted:

Wasn't White Wolf at the time. They had to wrest it away from his hands and revive it. He later got his revenge when he was hired on to CCP after White Wolf was bought and declared their actual ttgs would only be a legacy product and that they'd be refocused only to work on the MMO.

Which was of course later cancelled miserably.

As to "why," it's because Ryan Dancey is hilarious cyanide to this industry and has failed at literally everything he's ever tried to do in it (and beyond it) and yet continues to get hired.

CCP has done basically everything in it's power to kill White Wolf and it's only because of Rich Thomas figuring out a way to be white wolf without actually being white wolf that has let everything keep going.

CCP is literally doing nothing with the white wolf license right now other than selling it to Onyx Path.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Did they ever actually produce anything under the brand?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
All the books between 2007 and Onyx Path's inception were published by CCP.

Including Changing Breeds.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

ProfessorCirno posted:

If you want to talk AEG and the death of card games - including what was almost the near death of L5R - you can't ignore the "Rolling Thunder paradigm," yes that was the name, which was meant to trade rarity with scarcity. Instead of one big expansion every few months, you'd have a ton of "mini" episodes released every month.
That was the Hidden Emperor arc, and it was dumb but not quite that dumb. It was one set about every six-ish weeks I think. The sets were smaller than normal, and the card packs were cheaper.

It also worked for L5R better than it would have for most things, since the cards were tied to the player-printing story feedback loop.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Lightning Lord posted:

Thank you. Exactly! That is 100% what we were going for.

I mean what is he, like a guy that hates a robot and proves it by collecting rings?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

theironjef posted:

Thank you. Exactly! That is 100% what we were going for.

I mean what is he, like a guy that hates a robot and proves it by collecting rings?

Superman is apt too because Elric is kind of an old inspiration for a lot of modern fantasy. Also you guys were spot on with a lot of your guessing about what it's like in the books. There's a lot of subversion of fantasy tropes and pisstaking going on. Elric, for example, is depicted as kind of a drug addict, drunken with the power and pleasure - there's also a purposeful homoerotic subtext - that Stormbringer grants him. In fact, the actual drugs he used to take in order to stay strong don't seem to have that sort of effect on him. 100% Moorcock's beliefs there. It's interesting how a lot of the stuff taken for granted in the books sounds kind of bad when held over your head in this game - the Eternal Champion for example, is basically Moorcock's ideas about protagonism in fiction. Although it's framed as a cosmic hero in his fantasy works, essentially every protagonist in every story ever told is one. It absolutely makes sense to me as well that you guys would be most interested in Chaos/Balance/Law. In some stories, Chaos is the more palatable option, and in others, it's Law. Clearly Chaos v. Law, both here and in Poul Anderson's novels, is the biggest take away for pop culture at large.

Another thing is I believe Stormbringer was actually the first licensed RPG, if it wasn't Call of Cthulhu. I have absolutely no idea why they went with the really boring concept of playing a Purple Town fisherman or some poo poo because they had a model of how an RPG based on Moorcock's fantasies should look: The Quest for Tanelorn (which is actually a novel from another series about a guy named Hawkmoon) and Sailors on the Seas of Fate. They're about a party of different incarnations of the Eternal Champion teaming up to take down some sorcerer cosmic vampires from outside the multiverse, who are trying to consume everything. That's the perfect model!

In the end, this game, although I do think it has it's place, is sort of like reading a badly written wikipedia article on the subject.

Also as a fan of this stuff, I have to say your idea for an ancient Melnibonean game is actually pretty cool.

I dunno if you guys do this sort of thing because I just started following you but I would be down for like, a podcast where you just grill me about Elric and the other Eternal Champion stuff. Feel free to brush me off if this seems like something pushy or forward to suggest.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 12, 2015

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
About to finish running Phandelver for my group of 5.

They love playing and enjoy the game, but one player is unimpressed by the Fighter, they are all very interested in Magic items, and want some customization.

So we are promptly converting characters to Pathfinder and jumping ship.

I'll miss Advantage/Disadvantage but other than that, I can't justify sticking with 5th Edition.

To make this post worse, I absolutely loved 4th Edition and threw tons of money at it.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

CDW posted:

I'll miss Advantage/Disadvantage but other than that, I can't justify sticking with 5th Edition.

To make this post worse, I absolutely loved 4th Edition and threw tons of money at it.

Just don't give out bonuses for most stuff in PF and give Adv/Disadv instead. Probably won't break.

wallawallawingwang
Mar 8, 2007

CDW posted:

They love playing and enjoy the game, but one player is unimpressed by the Fighter, they are all very interested in Magic items, and want some customization.

This might be kind of a dumb question, but why PF instead of the edition you loved?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

wallawallawingwang posted:

This might be kind of a dumb question, but why PF instead of the edition you loved?

I'd gueess it's the usual reason in cases like this...one guy likes 4E, nobody else will play it for various reasons.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Easier conceptual transition from 5th to PF than 4th.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

CDW posted:

So... You're moving to Pathfinder. For better Fighters. I'm sure I'm missing something.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Also, PF is all there on the internet.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

PF does have slightly better Fighters than 3.x edition or 5th edition to be fair.

Problem is that it's Rogues who are now beyond useless in PF.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Are rogues ever good in non-4e d&d?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mr. Fortitude posted:

PF does have slightly better Fighters than 3.x edition or 5th edition to be fair.
I don't think this is the case. 5e Fighters lack in options, but the Battlemaster is still a big step up from PF Fighters, who manage to be both dull *and* terrible.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Problem is that it's Rogues who are now beyond useless in PF.
Rogue Unchained gave them a few goodies, at least. Still outperformed by the Alchemist but at least they're not in the shadow of their own evil twin anymore.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

dwarf74 posted:

I don't think this is the case. 5e Fighters lack in options, but the Battlemaster is still a big step up from PF Fighters, who manage to be both dull *and* terrible.
In terms of martials in general Pathfinder is generally better and generally speaking the core martials are horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Pathfinder has 3rd party stuff to replace psionics and Tome of Battle that's pretty drat great, which launches it ahead of 5e.

Also Paizo is way less lovely of a company.