Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Is there any downside to using the quietest autogain setting in Serato DJ to avoid having to worry about software gain? The default position when autogain is off is usually too loud and I don't really want to have to mess with the software gain during a set.

I'd still adjust the hardware gain when bringing in a track obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Champ Baldoon
Nov 22, 2012

dont let me get in my zone

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Is there any downside to using the quietest autogain setting in Serato DJ to avoid having to worry about software gain? The default position when autogain is off is usually too loud and I don't really want to have to mess with the software gain during a set.

I'd still adjust the hardware gain when bringing in a track obviously.

I wouldn't trust software. It's not that hard to just skip 32-96 beats in with everything set to the normal and adjust the gain. It literally takes 10 seconds. It may be easier for me since I just drop a needle real quick. Also I usually go for peak +3db with gain. Xone 22 is my mixer.

I've used serato and traktor with the auto gain thing and both never work how I want it.

Champ Baldoon fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 26, 2015

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
I already skip into the loudest parts of the song to adjust the hardware gain, I seriously don't want to spend any amount of time pawing at my laptop's touchpad to adjust the software gain as well.

Champ Baldoon
Nov 22, 2012

dont let me get in my zone

Dubstep Jesus posted:

I already skip into the loudest parts of the song to adjust the hardware gain, I seriously don't want to spend any amount of time pawing at my laptop's touchpad to adjust the software gain as well.

Your mixer really doesn't have a knob for gain? If you don't than map that poo poo to like shift+fx1

Seriously. Software gain is crap. All songs are mixed down differently in certain ways and I've never been happy with software auto gain.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
There isn't a Serato controller I'm aware of that has knobs mapped to Serato's internal gain.

I'm not trusting the autogain to do anything more than keep my tracks from clipping at the first stage, which the lowest setting seems to avoid. I'm still leveling the tracks using my controller's hardware gain.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Sup guys, just browsing for some fresh tracks this morning

*real content: I got myself a midnight slot in a couple of weeks. I'm pumped!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Speaking of browsing for new tracks, where do you guys generally go? YouTube/sound cloud/beat port?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Beatport almost exclusively for me, sometimes soundcloud. Whatever works for you, though, everyone has a different work flow that works for them

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I play mainstream stuff so I get most of my stuff from a record pool. I also browse Soundcloud and have started listening to Spotify to find all these old songs from a long time ago that I forgot about and can play out. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
A lot of times I listen to mixes with shazam's auto function on and go to town. A lot of stuff doesn't get picked up but I've found some good stuff that way.

But usually soundcloud and rdio are my go to. Or literal crate digging if I have time to go to a record store. $2 disco records :getin:

e: I follow some music subreddits too.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Dubstep Jesus posted:

A lot of times I listen to mixes with shazam's auto function on and go to town. A lot of stuff doesn't get picked up but I've found some good stuff that way.

But usually soundcloud and rdio are my go to. Or literal crate digging if I have time to go to a record store. $2 disco records :getin:

e: I follow some music subreddits too.

I like the Shazam idea. I just bought Mixed In Key 7.0.. as a learning tool. I feel like I can tell what tracks sound good together, but I'd like to be able to say what key a song is in when I listen. Don't play an instrument, thought it might help.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Google Butt posted:

I like the Shazam idea. I just bought Mixed In Key 7.0.. as a learning tool. I feel like I can tell what tracks sound good together, but I'd like to be able to say what key a song is in when I listen. Don't play an instrument, thought it might help.

I don't think it's enabled by default, but make sure the thing where it automatically assigns cue points is turned off. It's fairly useless for that purpose.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Sorry for making GBS threads this place up with noob questions. Is there a "mixing fundamentals and exercises" book/site or something like that? Maybe a little more in depth than the typical "top 15 tips to become a better dj" stuff?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Google Butt posted:

Sorry for making GBS threads this place up with noob questions. Is there a "mixing fundamentals and exercises" book/site or something like that? Maybe a little more in depth than the typical "top 15 tips to become a better dj" stuff?

How To DJ Right by Bill Brewster

essential reading for noobs and pros alike

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

vanilla slimfast posted:

Absolutely.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

vanilla slimfast posted:

+1, super good.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

vanilla slimfast posted:

Perfect, thanks.

Edit: Just read the first section and it actually helped a ton. Any suggestions for newish "simple" tracks with clear drums (song starts off with a downbeat) as the book suggests? Any genre is fine.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 27, 2015

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Does anyone know who I need to gently caress at soundcloud to get custom backdrops and banners?

https://soundcloud.com/fei-fei
https://soundcloud.com/tycho

edit: oh, nevermind: http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/portal/articles/1030654-how-do-i-add-a-banner-to-the-top-of-my-page-

Saucy Slit
Jul 27, 2011
Anyone here ever play on a Traktor Kontrol X1 mk2? It seems people have griped the buttons/hardware go awry after a few months of use. I'm looking for a very small set up (Kontrol X1, 13" Laptop). I don't care about FX, price or any special add ons, my mix style is track to track blending, straight forward. Simply wondering if the X1 is worth trying by others' experience. I know you have to purchase software separately which sucks, but is also fine.

Also, if anyone here is into turntablism/scratching you should get the DJ Tech Tools DIF-1S, right below $200 you get a mixer with a fader that surpasses any old school type Vestax battle mixer or Rane for that matter. Inno-fader is an amazing company and there's good reason why so many people are modding their controllers (or old mixers) to have an inno-fader. Bought one and put about three hours of abuse on it every other day, and still cuts as if it were new.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Does anyone have experience with Pioneer's warranty repairs? The right deck of my DDJ-SR is completely on the fritz. Buttons randomly trigger multiple other buttons and functions. The problems started out minor a week ago but last night they turned up to 11. It's not a laptop or driver problem, and I haven't done anything to it that would gently caress it up like that.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Does anyone have experience with Pioneer's warranty repairs? The right deck of my DDJ-SR is completely on the fritz. Buttons randomly trigger multiple other buttons and functions. The problems started out minor a week ago but last night they turned up to 11. It's not a laptop or driver problem, and I haven't done anything to it that would gently caress it up like that.

This is country specific. In Australia they did a repair which took about a month and that didn't fix the issue so I demanded a replacement. Similar problems.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Saucy Slit posted:

Anyone here ever play on a Traktor Kontrol X1 mk2? It seems people have griped the buttons/hardware go awry after a few months of use. I'm looking for a very small set up (Kontrol X1, 13" Laptop). I don't care about FX, price or any special add ons, my mix style is track to track blending, straight forward. Simply wondering if the X1 is worth trying by others' experience. I know you have to purchase software separately which sucks, but is also fine.

Also, if anyone here is into turntablism/scratching you should get the DJ Tech Tools DIF-1S, right below $200 you get a mixer with a fader that surpasses any old school type Vestax battle mixer or Rane for that matter. Inno-fader is an amazing company and there's good reason why so many people are modding their controllers (or old mixers) to have an inno-fader. Bought one and put about three hours of abuse on it every other day, and still cuts as if it were new.

I've been using the mk1 for years and my best friend uses the mk2. I'm not really sure what you are asking? It's a pretty standard controller to use with an external mixer which you don't seem to want (correct me if I'm wrong), the build quality is fantastic. I think what you're looking for is the Kontrol Z1 which is basically a tiny little 2 channel midi mixer with no dedicated FX knobs or any of the extra beatgrid and pitch bend hotkeys of the X1.

Saucy Slit
Jul 27, 2011
Was wondering if the buttons or rather the physical components of the Kontrol X1 mk1/mk2 has ever gone crappy. (like pop off ...or break and the like).

Yes I've played around on a Z1 along w/ a Z2 mixer; it was alright. I like that the X1 has a nudge strip though.

And correct, mostly I wouldn't use an X1 w/ an external mixer. I do like that it will link w/ certain Pioneer mixers if I ever so wished at a club, gig, etc.

Compact and quick is my main focus.

I just don't like the plastic toy feeling of most NI products, but I've been digging the size and ability of the Kontrol X1.

Just need to be sure it's worth buying both it and the software.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Harley C posted:

This is country specific. In Australia they did a repair which took about a month and that didn't fix the issue so I demanded a replacement. Similar problems.

Gah, hopefully the U.S. has a quicker turnaround, I don't really have a backup.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Saucy Slit posted:

Was wondering if the buttons or rather the physical components of the Kontrol X1 mk1/mk2 has ever gone crappy. (like pop off ...or break and the like).

Yes I've played around on a Z1 along w/ a Z2 mixer; it was alright. I like that the X1 has a nudge strip though.

And correct, mostly I wouldn't use an X1 w/ an external mixer. I do like that it will link w/ certain Pioneer mixers if I ever so wished at a club, gig, etc.

Compact and quick is my main focus.

I just don't like the plastic toy feeling of most NI products, but I've been digging the size and ability of the Kontrol X1.

Just need to be sure it's worth buying both it and the software.

NI's hardware and software is great. I've been using Traktor for years and never had issues with it, and I personally don't know anybody who uses a different DVS anymore. The X1 is the most common controller you see with a dedicated club mixer. Sometimes you'll see the A+H K2 or something like that but mostly the X1. I beat the crap out of my MK1 (lots of really long sets in really humid venues) and it works the same as the day I got it.

Saucy Slit
Jul 27, 2011
Nice, thanks.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Saucy Slit posted:

I just don't like the plastic toy feeling of most NI products

What products do they make that feel like a plastic toy? I have an S2, F1, Z1, and S8, and "plastic toy" is not a term I would use to describe any of them.

Saucy Slit
Jul 27, 2011

Dessert Rose posted:

What products do they make that feel like a plastic toy? I have an S2, F1, Z1, and S8, and "plastic toy" is not a term I would use to describe any of them.

Z1, F1 and Z2. Played on a friends' setup for a week with all of these. No gripe on abilities. Just that they do feel a bit like plastic toys.

The Z2 looks cool, has amazing ability, but feels like a Nerf product. Inno-fader inside, awesome, let's give it a fader knob that feels awful to scratch with.

You cannot reverse assign the volume faders or curve adjust them for scratch play.

Also the volume faders are mad sticky/stiff. Eq knobs on a Z2 are all squat and awkward feeling.

Suppose I'm too used to old school Vestax battle mixers.

Aesthetically Z2 is nice.....because it harkens back to the old school battle mixer in lay out.

Saucy Slit fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 1, 2015

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Dubstep Jesus posted:

lol one of the clubs I worked at sent our CDJ's in for repair, and we got them back a month and a half later.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Bones why are you on the EDC lineup

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

mitztronic posted:

Bones why are you on the EDC lineup

Not me. There's a Bones from LA, it's probably him. He's played here on occasion opening for people like Worthy and CvS, which confuses the hell out of people when they see Bones on the flyer

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Are you the Bones from Atlantic Canada?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
What about the Bones from TV? You're the Bones from TV, right??

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Splinter posted:

What about the Bones from TV? You're the Bones from TV, right??

I'm Emily Deschanel IRL

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I thought he was Frankie Bones.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Any of you disco champions know anything about this edit / where to get it?

https://soundcloud.com/eduardo-meyer/louis-chedid-hold-up-losoul-re-edit

I've scoured the internet looking for any information about it, there used to be a download available but it wasn't working by the time I found it.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Kinda lame that traktor doesn't have the option for a dipped crossfader curve, the last two mixers I had used dipped crossfaders. You would think with software nowadays they would include all options. I wouldnt say its anything beyond mildy annoying, though

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

bad day posted:

I thought he was Frankie Bones.

He is actually Bones the restaurant

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

The day someone comes u with an all in one, no laptop solution, will be the day the industry has a heart attack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Old Man Pants posted:

The day someone comes u with an all in one, no laptop solution, will be the day the industry has a heart attack

I can't tell if you're joking or not but just in case:

XDJ-RX

It's Pioneer's new USB/Rekordbox controller. No laptop required.

Shout out to its grandfather, Stanton's SCS.4DJ which has been around for 4 years if not more.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jun 1, 2015