Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

How are u posted:

Who was Middleditch playing on the latest ep?

The Little Boy Walker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Cloks posted:

The Little Boy Walker.

"Ahhh, but my job that day was not to tie my shoelace, my job was to walk a boy!"

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
One of the best Who Charted EPs ever. June Diane Raphael are a perfect match for each other.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

n8r posted:

June Diane Raphael are a perfect match for each other.

Is this a joke about her being totally crazy?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I love Brad Hammerstone.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Is this a joke about her being totally crazy?

Both their characters are pretty similar, except Armen is more awkward and June is more daft.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
The poster mentioned one person and said that she was "a perfect match for each other". I cracked wise about this. It was pretty funny. Nevermind.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

Uhh you can't just expect Conduit to NOT explain, and explain, and explain, from a position of authority, about every podcast in the world, that he listens to during all of his free time (NOT BECAUSE HE'S A LOSER WITH NO JOB, he's an enthusiast, totally cool, you're being really gross and lame about this, christ)

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Past Tense Ragu posted:

Uhh you can't just expect Conduit to NOT explain, and explain, and explain, from a position of authority, about every podcast in the world, that he listens to during all of his free time (NOT BECAUSE HE'S A LOSER WITH NO JOB, he's an enthusiast, totally cool, you're being really gross and lame about this, christ)

You're weird.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

This page so far is completely indecipherable.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
"I love you"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Your way works too posted:

This page so far is completely indecipherable.

I agree, but I think I fell asleep for a nap 15 minutes into the episode and woke up as it was ending.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

My dream is Middleditch replacing Besser in the sequel episode of Travel Bug with Augustus Lindt

Dear Sergio
Sep 7, 2008

We are a couple, not a duo
drums!

Marketed Gum
Jun 26, 2007

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

My dream is Middleditch replacing Besser in the sequel episode of Travel Bug with Augustus Lindt

Sure just replace the man who played Kevin, the funniest character on the funniest podcast ever.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Marketed Gum posted:

Sure just replace the man who played Kevin, the funniest character on the funniest podcast ever.

"We don't get a lot out of Kevin."

The defeat in his voice when he says that...perfection.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

Marketed Gum posted:

Oh god I forgot about Kevin. I don't love Besser's pope but Kevin was amazing.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
My wife put Lord of the Rings on, and all I've been able to think for hours has been "stories about Mordor go fifth in the or-dor"

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I've got "stories about Mordor go firth in the or-dor" running through my head in a constant loop.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
If it's a turd, its third.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Mr. Squishy posted:

I've got "stories about Mordor go firth in the or-dor" running through my head in a constant loop.

please be careful

quote:

im permabanned poster niggerstomper58. i first started reading fyad when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "irony" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "friend of the family balls" and "i love making GBS threads inside friend of the family assholes" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "ironic" style of fyad humor was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" fyad to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Very happy about the returns of Andy Richter, the post-apocalypse Dalyverse and Hayes & Sean doing the ads.

Also, as a True Brit, I got legitimately annoyed by Byron Denniston calling Kate Middleton the Duchess of Windsor, when she is of course the Duchess of Cambridge. He did redeem himself by namedropping Cannon & Ball though.

GraPar fucked around with this message at 13:20 on May 11, 2015

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Also Hayes and Sean are back on the ads, baby!

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

GraPar posted:

Very happy about the returns of Andy Richter, the post-apocalypse Dalyverse and Hayes & Sean doing the ads.

Also, as a True Brit, I got legitimately annoyed by Byron Denniston calling Kate Middleton the Duchess of Windsor, when she is of course the Duchess of Cambridge. He did redeem himself by namedropping Cannon & Ball though.

She also isn't a princess until Will becomes Prince of Wales.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Nascar Jimmy!

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Mr. Squishy posted:

I love Andy Richter on CBB but man I was getting giddy just waiting for the ads to come on, which (same as last time) feels very surreal to say.

"Choose any audible book from all these title.."
"You only gave us one book."

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

Sean's ability to know when he thinks he has a joke is impeccable. A true comedian.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The react when Andy is like "this reminds me of an old negro spiritual" had me dying.

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

cams posted:

Sean's ability to know when he thinks he has a joke is impeccable. A true comedian.

Yeah when he asked "is these guys big 30 Rock fans" to Scott's utter bemusement like 10 seconds after Scott said stamps.com for the 15th time just killed me and was funnier than anything in an episode with two great guests. I wonder if HH is always going to be a super-niche show or if it will tip into wider popularity at some point

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Unmerciful posted:

Yeah when he asked "is these guys big 30 Rock fans" to Scott's utter bemusement like 10 seconds after Scott said stamps.com for the 15th time just killed me and was funnier than anything in an episode with two great guests. I wonder if HH is always going to be a super-niche show or if it will tip into wider popularity at some point

Is their show actually about entertainment gossip like I assume it is? Cause that's why I don't listen, they seem funny though

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

ImPureAwesome posted:

Is their show actually about entertainment gossip like I assume it is? Cause that's why I don't listen, they seem funny though

It's not at all.

It's hard for me to describe what it is exactly but if I had to pick an episode to recommend it'd probably be the Sinbad ep:

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/sinbad-our-close-friend/

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

ImPureAwesome posted:

Not in the slightest. I wrote off Reality Show Show because I care so little about reality tv that I wasn't interested in it even as a jumping off point, but I probably missed out. After one ep of Hollywood Handbook, I grabbed the entire back catalog, and I'm not someone looking for new podcasts.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
They should probably change their name, it's really misleading but good to hear it's not celebrity talk

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

ImPureAwesome posted:

I'd describe it as an insider's guide to kicking butt and dropping names in the red carpet-lined back hallways of this industry we call showbiz.

Edit: what up, what up.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

tnimark posted:

I'd describe it as an insider's guide to kicking butt and dropping names in the red carpet-lined back hallways of this industry we call showbiz.

Speak on that

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

LesterGroans posted:

Speak on that

Well, it's cool and fun, and nice.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

ImPureAwesome posted:

People have already responded, but I did this little write-up for a similar question over at the Earwolf subreddit, a couple of suggestions on particular episodes and linking directly to some of their famous bits to get an idea of their show. Some of the jokes might lose their full punch when you don't have the benefit of having heard the whole episode. But if you're on the fence and don't want to listen to hours of episodes just for the off-chance of maybe liking the show it might help

BJ Novak - Spider-Man 2
https://soundcloud.com/hollywoodhandbook/bj-novak-our-close-friend#t=46:15
The boys do a read-through on a script, this is something that happens from time to time on the show and is usually loving hilarious. The Paul Scheer and Brian Huskey episodes have the same thing, highly recommend those two as well.

Gil Ozeri - Home Mart or Homemart, Engineer Brett takes over the show
https://soundcloud.com/hollywoodhandbook/gil-ozeri-our-close-friend#t=11:28
This clip is a bit longer but probably my favorite Hollywood Handbook moment, get crazier and crazier for 10 more minutes. The finale is amazing when Brett tries to do the show and spectacularly screws it up.

Betsy Sodaro - The Write Stuff: Casablanca
https://soundcloud.com/hollywoodhandbook/betsy-sodaro-our-close-friend#t=9:28
The boys do a read-through on the opening scene in Casblanca and start with having Engineer Brett making the sound for starting the selection machine.
For a quick listen just focus on the Engineer forced to make sounds, but the whole Casablanca read is great.

Betsy Sodaro - A listener question about sound engineers
https://soundcloud.com/hollywoodhandbook/betsy-sodaro-our-close-friend#t=1:05:42
This clip also references the earlier incident from Gil Ozeri, this is the kind of callback and inside jokes that can occur on HH. Not that different from other shows on Earwolf, and you won't miss much if you don't remember it.

Jes Macallan - Drop the mic
https://soundcloud.com/hollywoodhandbook/macallan-our-close-friend#t=57:13
Engineer Brett freaks out about 300$ microphones.
Kind of a trend going on here maybe, but I just love when they get antagonistic against someone which is usually the engineer. Also the Jes McCallan episode has some great Italian bits but I'm not sure how to summarize it into one link.

The Gilmore Guys - Sean is a 'guest' on another podcast
https://soundcloud.com/hollywoodhandbook/the-gilmore-guys-w-demi-adejuyigbe-and-kevin-porter#t=48:48

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The one where they renegotiate their contract with Scott and Jeff Ulrich is great too.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

On the Betsy epi her initial answer to the question "what's the funniest reference?" was "9/11", which boosted my Sodaro stock to an all-time high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Betsy Sodaro is amazing in anything. I, too, am going to give Hollywood Handbook a try thanks to this thread's constant, endless recommendations of it. Congratulations, guys, you won.

Any recommendations on a first: Neil Casey, Jon Gabrus Again, Kumail Nanjiani, Paul F Tompkins Again, or Matt Gourley?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 12, 2015