Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Jarmak posted:

The entire basis of the families case is that you're wrong.

edit:

They went further then that, they testified that his heart didn't have anything to do with his death.

Do you know what asphyxia is? Do you know what one of the major ways in which Asyphixia can cause you to die is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Lemming posted:

What medical condition does beating, stripping, and strapping to a chair help with?
Chronic contempt of cop.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

hobbesmaster posted:

From a list of side effects of severe steroid abuse, right next to each other:

Perhaps they should have given him more ativan, sooner.

Hmmm.... I wonder if these risk factors might have been exacerbated by something? I think that perhaps something like getting the poo poo beat out of him for 20 minutes, being stripped naked, forcefully strapped to a chair, injected with sedatives, and left alone for 4 minutes might have led to those risk factors becoming a bigger issue.

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

Probably Magic posted:

Maybe this already got covered, but was there any particular reason why this PD decided to send only one cop to deal with a guy who was clearly on stimulants? Because any time I've seen any footage of someone on drugs getting dealt with, it's usually by a cadre of people who are capable of holding them down.

From what I saw of the DA presser, that wasn't addressed since there was no Q&A session. DA Ozanne made his statement and then left. I am not sure we will get satisfactory answers to these questions in the near future.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

LorrdErnie posted:

Do you know what asphyxia is? Do you know what one of the major ways in which Asyphixia can cause you to die is?

Asphyxia can lead to a heart attack, this wasn't what was argued by the family's expert

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Alligator Horse posted:

Just watched the live feed from Madison. DA Ozanne is not going to bring charges in the death of Tony Robinson.

Tweet compilation here: http://live.jsonline.com/Event/Decision_on_charges_in_Tony_Robinson_shooting
Add Wisconsin to the list of states that South Carolina is less racist than.

LorrdErnie posted:

Hmmm.... I wonder if these risk factors might have been exacerbated by something? I think that perhaps something like getting the poo poo beat out of him for 20 minutes, being stripped naked, forcefully strapped to a chair, injected with sedatives, and left alone for 4 minutes might have led to those risk factors becoming a bigger issue.
I think the Ativan is like, the least objectionable part of this whole story. Why is everyone so hung up on it?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I think the Ativan is like, the least objectionable part of this whole story. Why is everyone so hung up on it?

It lets the police apologists sidestep the issue of the unwarranted beating and stripping.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Because I found it crazy anyone would think sedatives are a good idea at that point, and since it is the least objectionable part, the cop apologists latched onto it because that's easier to defend than the 20 minutes of that video where he's beat by a dozen cops.

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It is worth pointing out vis a vis the Death in Custody Reporting Act that Wisconsin shares the dubious distinction, along with Arkansas, of being one of only a couple states to begin providing death in custody statistics to the AG only to pull out of the program. They haven't submitted data since 2007. Compare that to South Carolina, which has voluntarily provided death in custody data every year the program has been in place.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Lemming posted:

It lets the police apologists sidestep the issue of the unwarranted beating and stripping.
How so? If everyone was just saying "It's bad for the police to beat someone for 20 minutes, they should face consequences for that action" and didn't mention the sedative, you're saying that police apologists would say "No, it's cool to beat someone for 20 minutes, as long as you sedate them afterwards"?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

twodot posted:

How so? If everyone was just saying "It's bad for the police to beat someone for 20 minutes, they should face consequences for that action" and didn't mention the sedative, you're saying that police apologists would say "No, it's cool to beat someone for 20 minutes, as long as you sedate them afterwards"?

I don't know what would happen if something different had been said, but what was said was that "it's wrong to beat someone, then strip them, then strap them to a chair, inject them with sedatives, and leave them alone for 4 minutes" and what the apologists pounced on was "ah HA you see the sedatives were actually fine! The cops weren't wrong about that!" and then post pages about it to cloud the issue.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Lemming posted:

I don't know what would happen if something different had been said, but what was said was that "it's wrong to beat someone, then strip them, then strap them to a chair, inject them with sedatives, and leave them alone for 4 minutes" and what the apologists pounced on was "ah HA you see the sedatives were actually fine! The cops weren't wrong about that!" and then post pages about it to cloud the issue.
At the risk of posting about posting, it wasn't a "police apologist" who started the Ativan derail.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Alligator Horse posted:

Just watched the live feed from Madison. DA Ozanne is not going to bring charges in the death of Tony Robinson.

Tweet compilation here: http://live.jsonline.com/Event/Decision_on_charges_in_Tony_Robinson_shooting

I drive past where Tony Robinson was shot every day on my way to and from work.

All the people I've seen on Twitter going on about how there will be riots over this apparently think every situation is the powder keg that Baltimore is. I hope someone actually pushes back, though. The protests here died down really quickly after the shooting happened.

Personally, I've been trying not to talk to anyone around here about it. The last time I did, I found out one of my coworkers knows the offer who shot Robinson personally, so that wasn't a super fun conversation (it was mostly a lecture on how the officer definitely wouldn't have shot for no reason and therefore we shouldn't jump to conclusions etc etc).

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

twodot posted:

After actually watching the video I'm not sure what beating we're even talking about it, all I can see is a bunch of cops piled on him trying to pin him down over and over as he resists every time they try to move him from one room to another, I don't see any striking whatsoever.

Also after they strip him out of his bloody clothing they immediately cover him with a blanket, which he then defiantly kicks off.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Harrow posted:

I hope someone actually pushes back, though. The protests here died down really quickly after the shooting happened.
As white as Madison is that'd probably result in ethnic cleansing levels of police violence and everyone involved being reelected in perpetuity.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Lemming posted:

Right, thus the question of why anyone even brought up/defended that concern in the first place. It's just not rhetorically smart to mix strong and weak arguments for the very reasons you bring up, so why are people doing it? The reason isn't that not doing lets apologists side step an argument.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Alligator Horse posted:

The main lessons to be learned from the Death In Custody Reporting Act (DICRA) is that if it costs money to implement, local institutions won't pay out of pocket; if there are funds available but only under certain conditions, only some institutions will take advantage of those available funds; and if the government can find escape clauses for implementing this legislation, they absolutely will do so rather than alienate state and local law enforcement organizations.

Those things seem obvious to the jaded, but the extent to which they hold true is pretty disgusting. Take the first iteration of the DICRA, which passed in 2000 and ultimately expired in 2006. That bill inserted a clause into the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994 specifying what information should be included in reporting qualifying deaths. It left the particulars of how the data should be submitted and organized up to the Attorney General's discretion. The enforcement mechanism for the DICRA of 2000 was that the section of the VCCLEA into which it was inserted controls who is eligible for VOI/TIS funding. The major problem: the VOI/TIS program no longer received funding after 2001 and no VOI/TIS grants were handed out after that year. In short, the enforcement mechanism for the legislation went offline only a year into its tenure. To give you an idea of how truly problematic that is, consider the fact that the program as established by the AG's office did not start to collect data on deaths in the process of arrest until 2003, fully two years after the enforcement mechanism ceased to exist.

That same problem exists in a different form in the newly passed DICRA of 2013 (law as of December 2014 and not yet being implemented because of its grace period). The new law's enforcement mechanism is to tie a percentage of JAG block grants to participation. However, the AG has full discretion when it comes to penalizing the states, and the maximum the AG can sanction states is 10% of allocated JAG funds. That would still be a lot of money if the AG decided to genuinely enforce the law, but based on the track record of the Death in Custody Reporting Program that was set up in the wake of the first DICRA, there is little hope the AG's office will take a stand on the issue.

There's a bit more about JAG funding and the particulars of the bill here on this thing I made. I am working on creating a comprehensive accounting of the citizen groups who are filling the gaps the government has left, and analyzing the data that the BJS collected during the initial DICRA. The government figures are pretty shoddy though--as in, BJS admits that at best the DCRP managed to capture 50% of cases. 16 of the 41 states that used active case identification strategies (proactively gathering data rather than relying on submission by other parties like LEOs) simply used open-source searches to find cases; or, put another way, 39% of reporting states who were actively gathering this information simply did web searches for it and didn't bother to look into coroner's reports or law enforcement records. If that continues to be the norm, there's not much point in paying for SRCs, who receive funding to gather and submit this data to federal authorities.

Your posts are great, thanks for this.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Lemming posted:

Yeah when I even brought up the sedative, it was a ninja edit. I do think it's crazy anyone would think that's a good time to give a sedative, but anyone thinking I'm arguing that's the only thing that killed him needs to work on their reading comprehension.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rent-A-Cop posted:

As white as Madison is that'd probably result in ethnic cleansing levels of police violence and everyone involved being reelected in perpetuity.

It's true. Madison is a really liberal town but it's a white liberal town, and white guilt is the best most can muster.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

pathetic little tramp posted:

Yeah when I even brought up the sedative, it was a ninja edit. I do think it's crazy anyone would think that's a good time to give a sedative, but anyone thinking I'm arguing that's the only thing that killed him needs to work on their reading comprehension.
As a non-doctor I can certainly imagine a situation in which a sedative is the lesser evil for someone completely off his nut to the point of self-harm. This situation looks like it would have been better resolved by just leaving the victim alone to chill out with nobody to fight and observing him to make sure he didn't stroke out or headbutt a wall.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

twodot posted:

Right, thus the question of why anyone even brought up/defended that concern in the first place. It's just not rhetorically smart to mix strong and weak arguments for the very reasons you bring up, so why are people doing it? The reason isn't that not doing lets apologists side step an argument.

I agree, but there are lots of people posting in this thread and there's always going to be a weak argument by someone, somewhere, and it's the only thing that ever gets addressed, and then pages are made about it and blah blah blah. I agree they shouldn't be made in the first place, and it is useful to point out that it's a bad argument, but a lot of the time it becomes the only focus and really drags down the thread.

A lot of these situations are very complicated and it's not practical or reasonable to assume that everyone is an expert lawyer in all the case law and a medical expert in all the relevant areas and an expert law enforcement officer who knows about standards and techniques. It's just really obvious when instead of a simple correction or clarification, every one of those issues becomes "ATTENTION EVERYONE: THIS ONE POSTER IS WRONG ABOUT SOMETHING. PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN."

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

pathetic little tramp posted:

Sorry I just didn't think anyone was stupid enough to think it was normal to die from wrestling around on the ground for 20 minutes.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

Harrow posted:

It's true. Madison is a really liberal town but it's a white liberal town, and white guilt is the best most can muster.

I live in Madison. There will be a protest, there will be speeches, and then it will get quiet again. Happens with every protest in this town. Of all of the friends I have that go to the protests for this stuff, I can count on one hand how many get involved beyond attending a protest and getting angry on Facebook or Twitter.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Alligator Horse posted:

I read the statement regarding the decision.

quote:

"I conclude that this tragic and unfortunate death was the result of a lawful use of deadly police force and that no charges should be brought against Officer Kenny in the death of Tony Robinson Jr."

"The shooting of this unarmed man was tragic and should not have happened. But it was completely legal for the officer to do so, so it's actually okay."

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jarmak posted:

Sorry I just didn't think anyone was stupid enough to think it was normal to die from wrestling around on the ground for 20 minutes.

Jarmak posted:

quote:

Both defense experts also conceded, under cross-examination by family attorneys, that a person could die from traumatic or positional asphyxia if heavy weight was placed on a person's back for an extended period of time. Positional asphyxia is a condition in which a person does not get enough oxygen because of the way his or her body is placed. The experts used examples of a person being trampled in a crowd.

Baden, the family's pathologist, has concluded Bornstein died from asphyxia because of two different struggles with jail officers. In earlier testimony, officers testified that one had placed a knee in Bornstein's back and at least one more lay on top of him in an attempt to restrain him.

edit:

They went further then that, they testified that his heart didn't have anything to do with his death.

You literally earlier made a post that said it was plausible that someone kneeling on your back for a while could kill you, so it sounds pretty reasonable actually.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

UnoriginalMind posted:

I live in Madison. There will be a protest, there will be speeches, and then it will get quiet again. Happens with every protest in this town. Of all of the friends I have that go to the protests for this stuff, I can count on one hand how many get involved beyond attending a protest and getting angry on Facebook or Twitter.

I've only lived here for a little over a year, but yeah, I can see how that'd be. That's definitely what happened right after the shooting.

I don't know. This is all just getting depressing.

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

I read the statement regarding the decision.

"The shooting of this unarmed man was tragic and should not have happened. But it was completely legal for the officer to do so, so it's actually okay."

The really upsetting thing about this is that the officer drew his firearm as a first response--even before he got visual of the suspect. And then his excuse for discharging his weapon was that, after being struck by the suspect, he was afraid said suspect would knock him unconscious and take his weapon, putting innocents in harm's way.

It seems like that hypothetical could have been neatly taken care of if the officer in question didn't pull his firearm as a first response, or if more officers were there to help handle the situation. There was no reason Tony Robinson had to die.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

This situation looks like it would have been better resolved by just leaving the victim alone to chill out with nobody to fight and observing him to make sure he didn't stroke out or headbutt a wall.

I think it's pretty safe to say that police feel that they need to force people to submit and be subservient. It's primal, if whoever the police target don't cower or react in a submissive way they feel like it's a physical threat or attack and respond as if it were a physical threat or attack.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Alligator Horse posted:

The really upsetting thing about this is that the officer drew his firearm as a first response--even before he got visual of the suspect. And then his excuse for discharging his weapon was that, after being struck by the suspect, he was afraid said suspect would knock him unconscious and take his weapon, putting innocents in harm's way.

It seems like that hypothetical could have been neatly taken care of if the officer in question didn't pull his firearm as a first response, or if more officers were there to help handle the situation. There was no reason Tony Robinson had to die.

Cops often draw firearms as a first response, you can't charge him with doing that as thats what he was supposed to do. If what he was supposed to do is wrong then sue the department into the ground.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Lemming posted:

edit:

You literally earlier made a post that said it was plausible that someone kneeling on your back for a while could kill you, so it sounds pretty reasonable actually.

No I didn't, I said that's what the family is arguing.

Also no, saying someone can be suffocated is not the same as saying its normal for someone to die of a heart attack after what takes place in that video.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jarmak posted:

No I didn't, I said that's what the family is arguing.

Also no, saying someone can be suffocated is not the same as saying its normal for someone to die of a heart attack after what takes place in that video.

So you're calling the police's defense experts, who agreed that it's very possible for someone to die in that sort of situation, stupid?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lemming posted:

So you're calling the police's defense experts, who agreed that it's very possible for someone to die in that sort of situation, stupid?

But the pathologists would have found something consistent with that if thats what happened?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Lemming posted:

You mean the same experts who said that the autopsy showed no signs of asphyxia?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jarmak posted:

You mean the same experts who said that the autopsy showed no signs of asphyxia?

Yeah, they said that in this situation there wasn't evidence of it. I said they agreed that it's possible to happen in this sort of situation. But earlier you said

Jarmak posted:

which implies it's ridiculous to think that people die from "wrestling around on the ground for 20 minutes" when it's actually extremely possible. That viewpoint is clearly naive.

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

Cops often draw firearms as a first response, you can't charge him with doing that as thats what he was supposed to do. If what he was supposed to do is wrong then sue the department into the ground.

I meant that the 'really upsetting thing' in those couple sentences is his justification for use of force, not simply that he drew the firearm as a first response. That's why I put those two sentence back to back. Sorry if I was being unclear. I also included that second group of sentences to point out that this seems to be more than just one officer's poor judgment but a broader issue with the way these situations are handled. I hope that's perfectly clear.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Lemming posted:

Yeah, they said that in this situation there wasn't evidence of it. I said they agreed that it's possible to happen in this sort of situation. But earlier you said

which implies it's ridiculous to think that people die from "wrestling around on the ground for 20 minutes" when it's actually extremely possible. That viewpoint is clearly naive.

positional asphyxiation is not a normal result of wrestling around on the ground.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jarmak posted:

positional asphyxiation is not a normal result of wrestling around on the ground.

Maybe, but what the police generally do is not normal wrestling, they have a real habit of putting their knees on the back of people who are on their stomachs, which is a bad idea that can easily kill people, according to the department of justice:

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles/posasph.pdf

Some examples:

http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/watchdogreports/medical-examiner-revises-suspects-death-ruling-to-homicide-kb6q9fe-170871001.html

http://thebluepaper.com/article/police-chief-donnie-lee-admits-eimers-died-of-asphyxiation/

Edit: I like this part (that's Sarcasm):

quote:

■ A suspect is restrained in a face-down
position, and breathing may become
labored.
■ Weight is applied to the person’s
back—the more weight, the more
severe the degree of compression.
■ The individual experiences increased
difficulty breathing.
■ The natural reaction to oxygen
deficiency occurs—the person
struggles more violently.
■ The officer applies more compression
to subdue the individual.

Man, people should really just stop resisting!

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Lemming posted:

Maybe, but what the police generally do is not normal wrestling, they have a real habit of putting their knees on the back of people who are on their stomachs, which is a bad idea that can easily kill people, according to the department of justice:

According to that white paper its rare and the knees on back is often required, good job quoting out of context though.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jarmak posted:

According to that white paper its rare and the knees on back is often required, good job quoting out of context though.

You're right, what I said was a bit wrong. What they're saying is that it's a dangerous technique and that its use should be limited as much as possible, and that when used, the cops should pay special attention because there's a good chance they could kill someone doing it. They also go on to say that it kills people more often than even cops think.

So, even if it's rare in the sense that it usually doesn't happen, it's not a surprise or unexpected when it does. It doesn't require a freak accident or anything, so it's not unusual for it to happen.

Edit: They also make some suggestions about things you can do to make sure someone doesn't die:

quote:

■ Monitor subject carefully and obtain
medical treatment if needed.
■ Be trained to recognize breathing
difficulties or loss of consciousness
and immediately transport the individual
to the emergency room, or call
for an emergency medical team
(EMT) unit if such signs are observed.

I wonder what it was that the cops did in that situation that made it less likely the prisoner would survive being attacked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Lemming posted:

You're right, what I said was a bit wrong. What they're saying is that it's a dangerous technique and that its use should be limited as much as possible, and that when used, the cops should pay special attention because there's a good chance they could kill someone doing it. They also go on to say that it kills people more often than even cops think.

So, even if it's rare in the sense that it usually doesn't happen, it's not a surprise or unexpected when it does. It doesn't require a freak accident or anything, so it's not unusual for it to happen.

Edit: They also make some suggestions about things you can do to make sure someone doesn't die:

This is some impressive double speak, "It may be a rare event, but its totally normal!"

So again, wrestling around on the ground does not constitute "beating someone to death", and death is not the normal result.

Also

Lemming posted:

I wonder what it was that the cops did in that situation that made it less likely the prisoner would survive being attacked?

Whatever they did it worked because he didn't die of positional asphyxiation!

• Locked thread