Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Pierson posted:

I've soloed every pack of every dungeon with:

Open with Scattershot
Arc Bomb to stun
Time Bomb to keep them still
Arcane Barrage and instantly detonate it
At this point Time Bomb goes off and as they're in the air I charge Mana Missiles and it goes off when they come back down.
Pepper the entire thing with Replenishment whenever it's up and hope for Arcane Barrage procs.

Most mobs are usually 1/2 or 2/3rds to dead after the first Arcane Barrage. That skill is insane. Bastion of Lok and Sinestral Manor are easy as poo poo and you can pull whole rooms. I'm at Ascent of Saravasti now and it's a little harder. If I could get a second or third gunner in it would trivialise everything but I'm not sure if multiple people can enter the same instance via the teleporter, or whether you're forced to group with the LFG tool.

Also, if quick enough/far enough away, you can sneak in a Blast shot as the Arcane Barrage is nearing before detonation for a bit of extra damage. It makes for a fun combo.
I've been mixing between power setups and crit setups. If grouped and I can consistently get behind the target crit is great, but other than that I'm not sure what's better. Still trying out glyph setups focusing on dmg increase, speed increase, and willpower build/cost lowering. Not sure, yet, as I still don't know what's ideal to chain together. This has been my favorite class so far, though I've only really leveled priest, slayer, and reaper.

Also, is there a way to get rid of the auto-chain with spacebar other than rebinding jump? I've been screwed over a number of times by not being able to jump due to a chain attack happening instead.
And I seem to have a heck of a time queuing. I'll wait 30 or more minutes and end up giving up, so that's making gearing up at 65 a bit tough (unless I'm grouped, but I'm too much of a loner...).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I played this game back when it launched for a (free) month, got to 60, ran some dungeons but that was it. I'm giving it another try now, starting fresh. What are the main things I should know? I remember back then the US version was superior, even to the point of having content patches earlier but that seems to have been remedied? Why else should I shun EU?

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.

AzureSkys posted:

Also, is there a way to get rid of the auto-chain with spacebar other than rebinding jump? I've been screwed over a number of times by not being able to jump due to a chain attack happening instead.
And I seem to have a heck of a time queuing. I'll wait 30 or more minutes and end up giving up, so that's making gearing up at 65 a bit tough (unless I'm grouped, but I'm too much of a loner...).

There's a button in your Skills window that lets you set the ability chains, so you can remove the 2nd ability. Or rebind the chain hotkey.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>

Mr. Neutron posted:

I played this game back when it launched for a (free) month, got to 60, ran some dungeons but that was it. I'm giving it another try now, starting fresh. What are the main things I should know? I remember back then the US version was superior, even to the point of having content patches earlier but that seems to have been remedied? Why else should I shun EU?

I don't think Gameforge is much better than they were before, nor better than Frogster before that. I'm playing on NA with 140 ping with no issues. There is no EU version on steam, so they aren't doing as well as Enmasse.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Mr. Neutron posted:

US is way more active so I guess if that's the kind of thing that matters to you it's a pretty big hint. En Masse customer support is held up as much better than Gameforge but that might be individual bias. Goons are mainly playing on the US server.

Biggest change that made me go "thank holy god" when I started playing again was that enchanting/upgrading now involves feeding a generic material called 'feedstock' to your weapon/armour, instead of having to grind out or buy same-level equipment. Other notable things:

Daily login rewards.
Weekly quest targets that shower you in alkahest, feedstock and other gear-improving material
Avatar weapons! Every half-dozen levels or so enemies will drop pieces of these things and when you have 10-14 they assemble into a new weapon for you to level with. A godsend.
Island of Dawn has been streamlined. You're barely there for an hour now.
Tons more exp from levelling dungeons, which if you're a gunner you'll solo.
Right now while levelling the game will shower you with charms and exp boosts at certain milestones.
Finally if you want to just skip all that poo poo you can buy a level 60 scrolls for every class but Reaper and Gunner in the cash shop.

Also a new event just started that has you kill BAMs and rewards you with a stamina-replenishing mount, which sounds super-useful.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 12, 2015

Mimsy
Oct 25, 2008
So is there a way to level a priest without wanting to shoot myself due to the horrible, grueling nature of quest grinding as a healer?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Mimsy posted:

So is there a way to level a priest without wanting to shoot myself due to the horrible, grueling nature of quest grinding as a healer?

Shoot I just started leveling a priest with the double xp, it seems as fast as Lancer so far.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mimsy posted:

Dungeons or find a buddy, basically. They're not too bad at BAM soloing either, and I actually find it kind of exciting to do on them since they're squishy and their best damage skills are close range. More fun than mystic at any rate.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

If you're gonna level one you should do it now. Just pop an XP boost if you don't have elite and bite the bullet and go. Dungeon queues will be ridiculously short because of the massive amount of gunners leveling, and gunners will tear any dungeon to pieces without even needing your help, so you can just kind of follow along and do that really big aoe that priests have.

Zoid
Sep 23, 2002

McKinley Forever

Mimsy posted:

I'm 59 so far on my priest. Elite status helps a lot since you get tons of XP.

Basically I just do red story quests (since I've not seen most of the story before) until it leads into a dungeon. I then run the dungeon a couple times to get the quests and a few items out of it, then move onto the next story. The mobs for story quests are usually super easy.

As a priest, dungeon queues are instant or just a couple minutes since you're the healer! Just buff everyone and toss the occasional heal, then bitch out when some Gunner rolls on the priest armor because they're stupid. Or just make sure you mark leader and change it to class restricted loot rolls at dungeon start.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

How is mystic vs priest at the top end? Like, I look at mystic and I go 'oh cool i poop balls out like a wow monk and i have a pet thing?' and then priest is, well, standard healer looking?

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006
I got so used to doing all the side quests beyond story because when it was originally launched you could get some insane gap where you'd have to grind it out to catch up. With the XP bonus you end up 5+ levels ahead of where the story is which makes it a hilarious waste of time. Gunner is the best thing they've done to date.

Windchilla
May 30, 2009
Did the guild get officers sorted yet? I'd like to get into some sort of guild since I'm about to hit 65.

A sidenote is that Never Let Go quest supposed to be obscenely hard? I managed to get through it as a 64 Warrior with a lot of kiting and bandages, but it doesn't seem tuned properly at all.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
haven't played since launch. What class is the most fun/best in pvp?

also is mount tyrnannus still the goon presence server?

Farg fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 12, 2015

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Farg posted:

haven't played since launch. What class is the most fun/best in pvp?

also is mount tyrnannus still the goon presence server?
Lancer is still the best for how insane you can drive bad slayers/berserkers by blocking everything they do.

Yes.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
ok cool i have a 44 warrior but lancers seem super fun and double exp is happening

how does double exp work? is it just kills or all exp? should I just mainline story quests or is there a most effective way to level up with this stuff?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Farg posted:

ok cool i have a 44 warrior but lancers seem super fun and double exp is happening

how does double exp work? is it just kills or all exp? should I just mainline story quests or is there a most effective way to level up with this stuff?

All exp

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Bybus Slago posted:

There's a button in your Skills window that lets you set the ability chains, so you can remove the 2nd ability. Or rebind the chain hotkey.
Thanks. I finally saw it under the chained skills option when you press K. I'd been looking in the normal options/shortcuts menu. I'd already removed all the chained skills but it still pops them up.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>
I don't know how it works, but I got two ten hour double experience gain potions on top of the double XP event. Also, if you're leveling anything but a gunner, just invite a gunner to your group and pretend you're helping.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
It really is the best time to level a tank or healer, they are in dire need and dungeons go quick.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Probably a bad idea to try to grind BAMs for the next couple days. Everyone is eating them up in every channel of every zone to get those jade dragon letters.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Pierson posted:

Lancer is still the best for how insane you can drive bad slayers/berserkers by blocking everything they do.

Yes.

Also although it takes like 20-30 levels Lancers do get some mobility skills that let you turn into a freight train of pain for a few glorious moments.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
So after trying to do Golden Labyrinth quests three times with IMS groups and rolling sub 30's on every single item drop, and then having the party be disbanded before I could do the storyline quest, I said fuckit and managed to solo Golden Labyrinth and Akasha's Hideout.

Twice :shepface:

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

It's not hard with avatar weapons, especially as a Lancer or Gunner.

Solo dungeons.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

So far the only class I'm really worried about soling dungeons with is slayer, and that's just because they're super squishy and also have to get close to do damage. I'll probably still try, though.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.
I just hit 52 on my slayer and I've solo'd every dungeon up to Necromancer's Tomb. The only one that ever gave me any trouble was Sinestral Manor, that dumb spider boss can eat a dick. The roll has plenty of invincibility and can cancel most things, and if you take too much damage, you can run around until combat drops and use a couple bandages. I only really ever had to do that when I went into a boss blind or got impatient and tried to force damage. Having 2 fast stuns also helps interrupt bosses out of big attacks if your roll is on cooldown.

Bybus Slago fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 14, 2015

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
In the progress screen (H) what exactly is it that's ticking up my Weekly Bonus? At first I thought it was just doing quests listed in it but that sometimes seems to not add things.

I really want that alkahest. :v:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pierson posted:

In the progress screen (H) what exactly is it that's ticking up my Weekly Bonus? At first I thought it was just doing quests listed in it but that sometimes seems to not add things.

I really want that alkahest. :v:

The weekly bonus is increased by doing the requests that have the little gold badges. You can only do a set number per day and I think not all of them have the badge. Not too hard to clear the set number per day, though.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Any word on getting a goon guild rolling?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

No, none. There is no such goon guild as Dragongod Knightkings that currently has people playing, and there's no such guild as No Fun Allowed that also has people playing but isn't explicitly a goon guild.

Ctrl-F the loving last few pages at least.

Sanzio037
Dec 9, 2013
I just got my Archer's Disco boots, gloves and vest to +12. Pretty pumped about that. The Discovery Bow still eludes me...

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Honestly the worst thing about tera right now is that my friends list and guild isn't account wide, because GW2 has babied me. I should put one of the senpais in DGKK so that I have characters in my friends' guild, NFA, and DGKK. Also this game let us make a guild named Futa Funhouse, GOTY.

Edit:

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 15, 2015

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Please don't post my spirit animal without permission you idiot.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I'm gonna give this game a try, what the hell. Is there a "getting started" post somewhere to get me up to speed? I read through the OP, but I'm hearing about Gunners and another class or something?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Dukka posted:

Please don't post my spirit animal without permission you idiot.

I will post whatever I want. You aren't my real dad.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I will post whatever I want. You aren't my real dad.

Hello Scott from dominoes, can I get a pizza in tera?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

just type /pizza

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Saxophone posted:

I'm gonna give this game a try, what the hell. Is there a "getting started" post somewhere to get me up to speed? I read through the OP, but I'm hearing about Gunners and another class or something?
You don't really need a quickstart guide, this is basically your standard themepark MMO: You move from zone to zone as you level, killing poo poo. Thre are storylines and subquests but nothing you won't be familiar with from other MMOs. The only thing you really need to pay attention to is your Avatar weapon: Starting at something like level 20 shards of these will drop from every enemy you fight and when you have enough you assemble them into a weapon that has a higher (much higher?) chance to crit vs enemies of a similar level to it. You want to be making these weapons as soon as they become available.

TERA also has BAMs which are basically super-tough monsters, usually every zone has one or two collections of them. They give massive EXP if you kill the ones appropriate to your level and also drop a shitton of loot when killed, so if you're capable of either soloing them or finding a group farming them it is worth doing that for a little while).

Reaper and Gunner are the two newest classes and both of them are baller as poo poo: Reaper starts at level 50 like Death Knights and are Kratos-style dual-burning-chain-slinging blenders, Gunners are miniature nuclear arsenals that start at level 1 like the old classes but are strong enough to solo every dungeon pretty much up to like level 60 with minimum skill.

Apart from that just ask questions here, the thread doesn't really have that much conversation in it, we'll be happy to explain poo poo.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Are any goons using the Japanese client / a VPN connection or something from Japan?

I live in Japan, so I'm region locked to the Japanese client unless I use what seems to be a really slow VPN connection (I don't have all that much experience with proxies and VPN and such, but when I tried to set something up the other day it was really slow). My Japanese is good enough to fumble through in moon language, but it would still be nice to have some English-speaking folks to chat / play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Here's a quick-and-dirty method to getting the US Steam client working outside the US (or at least in South Korea)

1) Install the ZenMate addon (Free) for Firefox or Chrome, or whatever the hell browser you're using. This allows you to pretend you're browsing from the US, and allows the tera.enmasse.com website to actually work.
2) Install some proxy program or whatever. I use Spotflux. (Free trial, $24/year after iirc)
3) Install client through Steam.
4) Start Spotflux
5) Start TERA launcher, login (It will ALWAYS bitch about Account Armor until you log in through all of the IPs registered to your proxy service)
6) Click play. Wait for the error message that it can't connect to the server. (Or, if you're lucky, it gets you to the character select)
7) Once you're at the server select screen, alt-tab and kill your proxy connection.
8) Play TERA.

Turns out, En Masse' network authentication only checks what region you're in when you connect to the login servers. The game servers themselves don't seem to give two shits once you have a session token. I guess the short answer is yes, you need a VPN, but only for the first thirty seconds.

Shalhavet fucked around with this message at 11:19 on May 15, 2015

• Locked thread