Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

VitalSigns posted:

Having horrible and ignorant opinions about the world is not incompatible with possessing political influence and being rhetorically persuasive.

I agree, it's just weird/annoying that they are otherwise very socially progressive, but are very much in favor of maintaining the status quo when it comes to race.

PUGGERNAUT fucked around with this message at 10:47 on May 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I agree, it's just weird/annoying that they are otherwise very socially progressive, but are very much in favor of maintaining the status quo when it comes to race.

People, in general, hate change. The status quo gets clung to overall at all costs for a lot of people because for a lot of people it's just fine. Sometimes that's a frog in a pot scenario but even so...dramatic, sudden change is shunned. People also tend to be suspicious of people that are different then they are. Really this explains a lot of political views. If I'm not going hungry things must be OK.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Oh sorry I wasn't saying that to you, I was responding to the weird guy who was implying it is somehow inconsistent Ur Fascism to simultaneously believe that evangelicals have awful opinions and political power

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

ToxicSlurpee posted:

People, in general, hate change. The status quo gets clung to overall at all costs for a lot of people because for a lot of people it's just fine. Sometimes that's a frog in a pot scenario but even so...dramatic, sudden change is shunned. People also tend to be suspicious of people that are different then they are. Really this explains a lot of political views. If I'm not going hungry things must be OK.

I think when it comes to race, people desperately want to believe that racism is over, because what Americans did in the past is one of our darkest and ugliest notes in our history. So when someone points out that blacks still have difficulty trending upward, people want to get all just-world on them with "but... but... racism is over!"

Remember, many conservatives fear being branded as racist, but it's often in their mind that MLK stopped racism. Calling them out on it makes them retreat to their just world view.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

seiferguy posted:

I think when it comes to race, people desperately want to believe that racism is over, because what Americans did in the past is one of our darkest and ugliest notes in our history. So when someone points out that blacks still have difficulty trending upward, people want to get all just-world on them with "but... but... racism is over!"

Remember, many conservatives fear being branded as racist, but it's often in their mind that MLK stopped racism. Calling them out on it makes them retreat to their just world view.

It's also quite common to build a narrative about "the bad ones did all the bad stuff" and "My ancestors [and me by proxy] didn't do any of that". So when you hear about unions in the North shutting out minorities and even beating them quite severely a lot of people just don't want to hear that.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mister Bates posted:

Sharpton is black and has openly liberal politics and proclaims them loudly, those are seriously the sum total of his crimes. He's the U-word that no one ever says anymore but always seems to be lurking there on the tips of their tongues.

His politics honestly aren't radical at all and are pretty moderate and inoffensive by modern standards, nothing even close to the 'Kill Whitey' firebrand the right likes to paint him as.
Back in the 80s he was just as loud about injustice, but wore a ridiculous track suit and a hilarious perm, and some people just haven't let that image go.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Everblight posted:

Back in the 80s he was just as loud about injustice, but wore a ridiculous track suit and a hilarious perm, and some people just haven't let that image go.
If having a tracksuit and bad hair in the 80s disqualifies you from having opinions now, I can't think that there's that many people who are allowed opinions.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Guavanaut posted:

If having a tracksuit and bad hair in the 80s disqualifies you from having opinions now, I can't think that there's that many people who are allowed opinions.

That'd be a net positive imho.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Guavanaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs0osMzTZQA

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
In the late 80s/early 90s there was a lot of tension between the black and Jewish populations in NYC. Like Jesse Jackson, Sharpton made some rather unfortunate comments. Like Jesse Jackson, he has also apologized for them and changed his behavior and rhetoric (so it seems more like a sincere apology as opposed to the kind of apology we're used to from politicians). But since Jews are only not white under very specific circumstances, Sharpton will forever be labeled a hardcore bigot.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Al Sharpton also unfortunately picked the wrong side in the Tawana Brawley case, in which a young African American girl seems to have invented a story about being brutally raped and assaulted by white police. Nobody will let him forget that either, because that once incident proves that all police everywhere are without stain or racism.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The Macaroni posted:

Al Sharpton also unfortunately picked the wrong side in the Tawana Brawley case, in which a young African American girl seems to have invented a story about being brutally raped and assaulted by white police. Nobody will let him forget that either, because that once incident proves that all police everywhere are without stain or racism.

That case was telling since the one time a prosecutor got in trouble for screwing over people in order to either advance his career or protect his friends it was when he sided with a black women against a group of white men.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Reading Americans commenting on maternity leave is comical and saddening. Continuing the human species just isn't as important as MY imaginary BUSINESS! :byodood:

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Spatial posted:

Reading Americans commenting on maternity leave is comical and saddening. Continuing the human species just isn't as important as MY imaginary BUSINESS! :byodood:

"You are not ENTITLED to maternity leave or any time off after giving birth! By the way abortion is murder"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It makes sense when you understand that being a STAY AT HOME mom is the most important job in the world. They shouldn't be working in the first place.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Radish posted:

It makes sense when you understand that being a STAY AT HOME mom is the most important job in the world. They shouldn't be working in the first place.

Meanwhile, if their spouses want enough pay that they can afford to be a stay at home mom, they're entitled wankers who just need to work harder.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Poor/black people just need family values. They don't value family and fatherhood. It totally isn't businesses and the economy that don't value it. BTW, you sluts, vote for our guy because he is a businessman and the candidate of business.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 12, 2015

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Map of countries by maternity leave:

There was a time when this would have surprised me.

edit: timg

Spatial fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 12, 2015

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Spatial posted:

I need to make a new version of this. Is there a site for making heat maps from a CSV file or something?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You know how some goons are terrified of "sociopaths" ? I mean I'm scared of them. The idea that someone can sort of act normal and pretend to have empathy but actually not feel any guilt or pain when they hurt someone or screw them over? It's terrifying, that there's people out there that could do the most heinous things imaginable and feel nothing, and be quite willing to do so if it advances their interests.

Some religious people think this way about atheists. If you don't believe in god you don't have any morals, you have nothing stopping you from doing anything. That makes you terrifying and dangerous. You could act normal then slit their throats the moment your "personal ethics" or what ever dictated it.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Baronjutter posted:

You know how some goons are terrified of "sociopaths" ? I mean I'm scared of them. The idea that someone can sort of act normal and pretend to have empathy but actually not feel any guilt or pain when they hurt someone or screw them over? It's terrifying, that there's people out there that could do the most heinous things imaginable and feel nothing, and be quite willing to do so if it advances their interests.

Some religious people think this way about atheists. If you don't believe in god you don't have any morals, you have nothing stopping you from doing anything. That makes you terrifying and dangerous. You could act normal then slit their throats the moment your "personal ethics" or what ever dictated it.

Yeah, they're basically assuming that everyone is a sociopath.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Even super insane libertarian Hong Kong, darling of the Heritage Foundation as the greatest bastion of economic freedom, which didn't even have a minimum wage until 2010, has statutory maternity and paternity leave.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Spatial posted:

Hell yeah, Guyana and Papua New Guinea, US allies for life.

:smith:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I believe that the overall gist of that map is accurate, but I am a little skeptical that Somalia provides for 14 weeks of paid maternity leave when it still lacks a functional government.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Spatial posted:

Why is French Guiana not colored in?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

The Larch posted:

Why is French Guiana not colored in?

I'm assuming it got the data from the Wikipedia page on parental leave, and French Guiana isn't listed on there. I did a quick search for "French Guiana" parental leave and no real information comes up on what they offer for parental leave so :iiam:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

I got it from here.

More likely they just have the same sources.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It's not that people are against maternity leave, they just think the government should stay out of it. If your employer wants to freely give you maternity leave, then they are free to do it. A really good employer would do that to keep top talent. Why should I pick up the tab for someone's vacation?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
It is a fierce battle between the idea that everyone deserves maternity leave and no they don't. Only the worthy deserve basic human comfort.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Shbobdb posted:

It's not that people are against maternity leave, they just think the government should stay out of it. If your employer wants to freely give you maternity leave, then they are free to do it. A really good employer would do that to keep top talent. Why should I pick up the tab for someone's vacation?

A lot of American businesses are lovely employers that don't give anybody parental leave at all, ever, no matter what. Some expect the mother to be back on the job within days of giving birth absent any doctor's orders. Even then a lot of women end up going back on the job way earlier than they should because there is no leave pay for having a baby. She can't afford to not work.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A lot of American businesses are lovely employers that don't give anybody parental leave at all, ever, no matter what. Some expect the mother to be back on the job within days of giving birth absent any doctor's orders. Even then a lot of women end up going back on the job way earlier than they should because there is no leave pay for having a baby. She can't afford to not work.

Well if she negotiated the fine details of her contract with her employer and leveraged the free market value for her labor then she would have remembered to include paid maternity leave in her terms. Since these kind of negotiations over labor contracts are always done in real life fair labor markets there is no need for a governmental regulation.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Shbobdb posted:

Holy poo poo have you ever had to take care of a newborn? It's the opposite of a vacation.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Shbobdb posted:

Basic healthcare and childbirth are a solemn human right, unless of course you're inconveniencing a business. Oh wait, that's right, women are a non-factor because their only "job" is to crank out babies.

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

The engineer blew the whistle,
and the fireman rung the bell.
Someone posted this. I don't think I'm gonna click those links. :(

http://anonhq.com/anonymous-reveals-america-not-want-know/

Edit: Every thread I visit will soon just be people arguing with shbobdb's joke posts.

vez veces fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 12, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
it's pretty cool how often appealing to someone's intellectual insecurity is a good manipulation tactic

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
America has one of the most vibrant job markets in the world, coupled with a strong entrepreneurial culture. Sure, it takes a lot of hussle but hussle drives innovation. If she settled on a crappy job and decided to get pregnant, why should I pay for her poor choices? Should the government force employers to give paid hangover leave because people like to get drunk? A hangover isn't a picknick either but you can't call a day with one anything other than "vacation" if you aren't at work.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Shbobdb posted:

Shbobdb posted:

America has one of the most vibrant job markets in the world, coupled with a strong entrepreneurial culture. Sure, it takes a lot of hussle but hussle drives innovation. If she settled on a crappy job and decided to get pregnant, why should I pay for her poor choices? Should the government force employers to give paid hangover leave because people like to get drunk? A hangover isn't a picknick either but you can't call a day with one anything other than "vacation" if you aren't at work.

Wait right here young man while I call your mother.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Shbobdb posted:

This is a troll, right? It has to be a troll.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Willatron posted:

This is a troll, right? It has to be a troll.

I'm familiar enough with his posting to know he's loving with you all right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

idiot posted:

Shbobdb addresses his wife: "Sorry honey, I don't think the government *puts penny in swear jar* should require you be given time off just to give birth and mind our child during the most delicate period of its life. If you had a better employer, or you were better at your job, maybe you'd be better off. What? I'm not against it! It's just, why should I pay for it?!"

His mom slapped him, his sister punched him and his penis was never touched by his wife again.

The guy lives a tough life so let's try not to judge him, even when he compares an essential foundational function of society and the existence of our species to getting a hangover.