Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm guessing it's the alternate path when you have to choose which NPC you save.

You were correct. First time I went through I didn't even realize there WAS an alternate path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I absolutely loved The New Order, and I finally got to playing some of TOB and it feels like more of the same so I am cool with that. You can tell that the developers really love what they're making.
Definitely one of the best FPSs out there right now, probably second only to Metro: LL.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
So I'm going through my replay and picking up all the extra collectibles and such, and I stumbled upon the hidden audio recording in the library. Rudi could learn a lesson about interrogating from Helga.

The Nazis in this game are still Nazis, which automatically makes them bad, but I think what they do to make them more human also makes them more monstrous. When a character is two-dimensional, it's easy to just dismiss it, but to both TNO and TOB's credit it makes you at least stop and think about A. what you're doing and B. about the Nazis you're killing as actual people. I wouldn't call Helga likable, but she is very charismatic and knows how to manipulate others. Many of history's greatest monsters had a deep well of charisma to draw from and were complex people. That didn't make them GOOD people, but in Helga's case it makes her more believable than, say, Rudi, who is just kind of a prick.

Killed your fuckin' dog, Rudi.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 11, 2015

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

echronorian posted:

Uhhh no because both things were talked about, like BJ being mopey and Helga being extremely likeable.

I think it's a credit to their writing that the Nazis aren't cardboard characters but they're still Nazis and they gotta die. And BJ isn't mopey, he's grimy and fighting a losing battle. idgi
Can you quote where people were saying Helga was likable? Because all I saw were people saying she's not a cardboard cutout stereotype and that that was interesting/refreshing.

And yeah BJ is pretty mopey sometimes, and like you said it's because he's fighting a losing battle and he just wants the war to end and the good guys to win.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Game's lots of fun. I'm playing through again to get the rest of the gold I missed, and haven't even touched the challenges yet since I'm saving them for last. I thinks it's a testament to how solid the game is that I have just as much fun shooting the thousandth Nazi as I did the very first. I love all the little touches in the game to really give it personality. Even the item placement in TNO and this has a charm to it, with the how Nazis just leave their poo poo all over thing. A+/10 will smash Nazis again.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

"Magni posted:

Helga actually comes over suprisingly enough as a mostly respectable and well-adjusted person

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

Can you quote where people were saying Helga was likable?

Noirex posted:

I actually found Helga....pretty likable?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I stand corrected! :wtf:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

"BJ, you killed a puppy!"

"I KILLED A NAZI"

29 seconds in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z09bNgSeMI

DoctorStrangelove posted:

And then BJ wept, for there were no more Nazis left to kill.
Until there is a game where BJ is hunting down Nazis in Argentina.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I absolutely loved The New Order, and I finally got to playing some of TOB and it feels like more of the same so I am cool with that. You can tell that the developers really love what they're making.
Definitely one of the best FPSs out there right now, probably second only to Metro: LL.

Yeah, I don't tend to like shooters at all nowadays, but I've played the poo poo out of TNO and now TOB. They're really, really well-made and fun games.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Noirex posted:

I actually found Helga....pretty likable? Besides the whole horrible Nazi thing, she comes across as fairly smart, passionate and almost reasonable.

That kind of disturbs me but, but it's a testament to the game that it humanizes the most monstrous adversaries instead of being lazy and making them just one note.

Xenomrph posted:

I stand corrected! :wtf:

Lets quote it all shall we? Instead of making it sound like Noirex is ready to get his/her Stormfront tattoos and practice the salute in the mirror.

Helga being reasonable makes her horrifying because some small part of your brain likes to pretend everything that is evil in the world is a ugly, misshapen creature of violence. Its a comforting blanket that your own humanity is proof that you are righteous, that only monstrous creatures could be that evil.

Both games do a good job of showing you that a large part of the Nazi's are just... people. lovely people who are convinced they should do it by self-delusion. People who do bad things out of fear of bad things being done to them. People who would rather be a home with the family then doing what they do. Hell even BJ longs for simpler times, not this bleak unwinnable war. I suspect that's why he monologues about his childhood so much.

And then you get the drunk man in the town, crying about the wolves and how they must be stopped before the world suffers, and that ripped my heart. :smith:

Long short? Machine Games are amazing at making war, even weird war 2 war, look like poo poo. They never idolize it, even while your playing a power fantasy that involves ramming a pipe into someone's face. Always quick to remind you that it is an ugly, terrible profession, but BJ's gotta do, what BJ's gotta do.

Being able to pull that off is why I think they are The Best Company. :allears:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Speaking of Stormfront (lol), when The New Order came out, the "morbid curiosity" part of me wanted to check Stormfront's forums to see if any of them reacted to the game. Like on the one hand the game has this fantasy land where the Nazis won WWII and rule the world and poo poo, but then the gameplay has you brutally butchering those same Nazis by the hundreds.

Checking their forums would involve having loving Stormfront in my browsing history though, and I'm not THAT desperate to see what a bunch of bigoted assholes think of a video game.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

Speaking of Stormfront (lol), when The New Order came out, the "morbid curiosity" part of me wanted to check Stormfront's forums to see if any of them reacted to the game. Like on the one hand the game has this fantasy land where the Nazis won WWII and rule the world and poo poo, but then the gameplay has you brutally butchering those same Nazis by the hundreds.

Checking their forums would involve having loving Stormfront in my browsing history though, and I'm not THAT desperate to see what a bunch of bigoted assholes think of a video game.

...incognito mode??????????????????

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Check the D&D thread on stormfront? :shrug:

Admittedly it means enduring the circlejerk of D&D but it's better then stormfront?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Could also not be such a giant baby about what your internet browser thinks of you.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

:clint: Glad someone picked up on that.

Wolfenstein: The New Order (2014)
Developer: Machinegames

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

echronorian posted:

*half a quote*

Let's show the whole thing, shall we?

Magni posted:

Helga actually comes over suprisingly enough as a mostly respectable and well-adjusted person outside of the whole being a nazi thing.

Emphasis mine.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Will you gigantic nerds shut up about this either way, god drat

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So about a "choice" you can make: Do you just let Annete die to save Kessler, or is it a bit more involved?

Also I'm kinda bummed out over Annete. Given the Nazis win.... :smith:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

whoah, now I need to see this.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The humanizing touches actually made the Wolfenstein Nazis more villainous - they weren't brainwashed robots programmed to hate, they were people who had made bad decisions.

That overheard conversation in chapter 8 about Fritz was 100% :smith:. They were starting to understand what was wrong with their worldview, but then they get scared and mentally back away.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

poptart_fairy posted:

So about a "choice" you can make: Do you just let Annete die to save Kessler, or is it a bit more involved?

Also I'm kinda bummed out over Annete. Given the Nazis win.... :smith:
Nope, that's the extent of the choice.

Picking one option over the other also unlocks a specific "challenge map", so to unlock both maps you need to replay to make both choices.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Will you gigantic nerds shut up about this either way, god drat

lol

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Speedball posted:

whoah, now I need to see this.

Any Wolfenstein fan needs to see Danger 5, particularly season 2 where Boss Hitler takes over the woooorld!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Any Wolfenstein fan needs to see Danger 5, particularly season 2 where Boss Hitler takes over the woooorld!

That's the one with the chainsaw Hitler robot right? I always confuse it with France Five.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Serperoth posted:

That's the one with the chainsaw Hitler robot right? I always confuse it with France Five.

Hitler does get into a robosuit and carries an Uzi-Sword, but the chainsawflamethrowers are from a different scene.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Thank you for introducing me to Danger 5. My girlfriend and I are going to binge-watch both seasons.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I've been playing TOB and I'm only up to Chapter 4, but I feel like stealth is much harder due to the level design than in TNO. The silenced pistol headshot no longer is a one-shot kill on most enemies (the ones with the glowy backpack most notably, unless I'm doing something wrong), there's fewer throwing knives, and in general, I could sneak through all 'stealth' segments of The New Order, but in The Old Blood I keep restarting/being discovered. Is it just me, or have others noticed that?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Serperoth posted:

I've been playing TOB and I'm only up to Chapter 4, but I feel like stealth is much harder due to the level design than in TNO. The silenced pistol headshot no longer is a one-shot kill on most enemies (the ones with the glowy backpack most notably, unless I'm doing something wrong), there's fewer throwing knives, and in general, I could sneak through all 'stealth' segments of The New Order, but in The Old Blood I keep restarting/being discovered. Is it just me, or have others noticed that?
I think they designed the encounters a little differently so that stealth is used to get to an advantageous position or thin out some guys rather than being entire "stealth" segments. Once I got the perk for stealth-killing commanders, I started just stealthing to near the commanders and just killing them loudly. They're definitely a little trickier.

e: You do have a window for stealth headshots, though. It won't be a one-hit-kill, but if you hit them repeatedly and quickly, they'll drop without anyone noticing. Double-tap them and you'll be good.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Serperoth posted:

Dual wield silenced pistols for sweet stealth headshots. I did a run of almost entirely throwing knives in TNO and they're definitely less prevalent here.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Serperoth posted:

I have come to find that generally you don't need to stealth at all, and that you can just run to where the commanders are and blow them away. The game usually puts several heavies in the fray anyways and as far as I know, you can't stealth kill them.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Old Blood was great, New Order was great. Lost boss was kind of obnoxious to fight but eh

I think one of my favorite little details about the game is if you hold off on killing nazis right away when you enter a room, you can hide and listen to the conversation they're having. I particularly liked the one where the two nazis were talking about how loving crazy all the paranormal stuff, and then the other guy is like "why did you even join the paranormal team if you don't believe it"

The only thing I outright disliked about it, was the beginning prison escape dragged on loving forever, and it annoyed me how many times it would give me access to the gatling gun only to instantly lose it because I had to drop it to open the door to the next area. After that the game only goes up, but man that first section is just really poorly done. I couldn't wait to be done with it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Serperoth posted:

The silenced pistol headshot no longer is a one-shot kill on most enemies (the ones with the glowy backpack most notably, unless I'm doing something wrong)
I'm pretty sure you're hitting their backpack or something, I didn't have trouble headshotting regular soldiers. The shotgunners and super soldiers need more than one though, obviously.

The stealth sections are a lot harder, but there's enough alternate routes that you can stealth your way to the commander, and sometimes even just completely bypassing all the nazi's.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Elliotw2 posted:

The stealth sections are a lot harder, but there's enough alternate routes that you can stealth your way to the commander, and sometimes even just completely bypassing all the nazi's.

Bypass... as in "skip them"? As in not... kill them?

Not kill... nazis. Do something that doesn't result in the Nazis dead. There are Nazis there, but you don't kill them...

I must be misunderstanding you. :confused:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Macaluso posted:

I think one of my favorite little details about the game is if you hold off on killing nazis right away when you enter a room, you can hide and listen to the conversation they're having. I particularly liked the one where [spoiler]the two nazis were talking about how loving crazy all the paranormal stuff, and then the other guy is like "why did you even join the paranormal team if you don

I thought we'd be looking for REAL things. :mad:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

echronorian posted:

Dual wield silenced pistols for sweet stealth headshots. I did a run of almost entirely throwing knives in TNO and they're definitely less prevalent here.
Yep, I learned to always dual-wield the pistols for stealth headshots just to confirm the kill.

Also I agree that stealth is much less necessary in TOB because of how the commander/collectables perk works. In TNO you had to stealth-kill a commander to reveal all collectables in the particular level you're in, but in TOB it's a passive perk that just works across all levels once you've unlocked it.

I can see stealth being more useful on the higher difficulties, though. I was playing on BRING'EM ON difficulty on my first playthrough and there were a few firefights that got a bit hairy when I "went loud" and were much easier when I replayed them and went stealthy, and I imagine it'd only be even more emphasized on the higher difficulties.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Bypass... as in "skip them"? As in not... kill them?

Not kill... nazis. Do something that doesn't result in the Nazis dead. There are Nazis there, but you don't kill them...

I must be misunderstanding you. :confused:

Yeah I know, it's such a weird option. Who would possibly do that ever?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Heavy troopers can be killed with stealth. If you dual wield silenced pistols, two taps to the oxygen tank with both guns from behind will blow them up. I guess Nazis put this down to an unfortunate accident though because it hasn't alerted any commanders when I tried it :v:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ddraig posted:

Heavy troopers can be killed with stealth. If you dual wield silenced pistols, two taps to the oxygen tank with both guns from behind will blow them up. I guess Nazis put this down to an unfortunate accident though because it hasn't alerted any commanders when I tried it :v:
Whoa, seriously? I figured they were stealth-proof and would just leave them alone until I'd dropped the Commanders and it was safe to "go loud". Thanks for the tip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Huh, so it wasn't just me. The dual-wield headshot works, but still feels weird. I really loved the stealth in the original, so I'd like to continue, but I don't know how much fun it is.

And I absolutely hate the big guys, I am terrible at hitting their weak spot.

• Locked thread