Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Now he can "see" the plight of a 24 year old worker making minimum wage who racks up $30,000+ of medical bills who was hit by a drunk driver going home from work. The American Health Care System is truly the best in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Popular Thug Drink posted:

stupid people deserve sympathy the most

It's not his stupidity, it's his stubborn insistence on continuing to blame & rail against the very people who tried to help him. His love for hating others overrides everything else, so until he learns to be a decent human being, gently caress him.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

They call the ACA the Not Fair Health Care Act because it didn't unquestioningly foot likely six-figure healthcare costs after they didn't support or contribute to it in any way. And they blame Obama even though he can't get Medicaid because of his shithead Republican governor.

I want to feel bad but I don't. These people did this to themselves.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

I'm as iconoclastic a leftie as it gets, but it's pretty monstrous to laugh at a dude who's slowly going blind. Like seriously what the gently caress :stare:

I'm honestly in a really dark mood at the moment, saw a homeless kid who looked about sixteen and I have no idea how to help him and I'm feeling enormously bitter and vengeful towards the kind of people who keep us from having the safety net to protect people. (best I can think of is to try and help him get to a local shelter, he was a pretty far walk from the nearest I know of)

If the guy hadn't doubled down on THANKS OBAMA I'd be way more sympathetic. I'm not laughing at him, I just also cannot find it in myself to shed tears for him.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

beatlegs posted:

It's not his stupidity, it's his stubborn insistence on continuing to blame & rail against the very people who tried to help him. His love for hating others overrides everything else, so until he learns to be a decent human being, gently caress him.

i'm sure rejection and lack of compassion in his darkest hour will compel him to learn the true meaning of empathy and kindness towards others

this is why i beat my dog until it learns to stop biting people

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
E: nm not doing this fight right now

Fwiw my dream scenario is that we somehow get uhc and that man's vision gets saved by a system far better than the one we have now. Also what radish said

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 12, 2015

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The reason people want charity to cover things like healthcare and taking care of you when you are poor or elderly is because they want to choose who benefits. They have no problem giving to some white guy that "is just down on his luck" but they know in their heart that minorities are cheaters and lazy and thus they don't deserve any help until they help themselves. When the government handles the safety net, laws require they treat people equally (at least in theory). That's absoutely unacceptable to people that consider gays evil or non-whites as violent criminals.

Giving money to that guy when he's begging is totally consistent with their bigoted world view.

In my dream world that guy learns how terrible it was to not have health care and that he's only alive because of the generosity of others and not his strong work ethic, then realize that begging like that isn't an option for everyone and to then be in favor of universal healthcare.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Exactly. I donated to that anti-ACA sheriff's gofundme in the hopes he'd learn some humility or gain some perspective or empathy but he didn't learn a goddamn thing.

These people would rather everyone have it harder than have someone they don't like have it even a fraction easier. gently caress them.

I pity this guy, but that's it. He's reaping the spite he sewed.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

i'm sure rejection and lack of compassion in his darkest hour will compel him to learn the true meaning of empathy and kindness towards others

this is why i beat my dog until it learns to stop biting people

I hold people to a higher standard than dogs.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

beatlegs posted:

I hold people to a higher standard than dogs.

then treat them like people

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

By holding them accountable for their completely voluntary and willful ignorance and support for hateful and harmful policies.

E: Like if anything was going to change their minds, it would be getting personally screwed so hard like this, but they'd rather to continue to cry about the opposing team than admit they were wrong.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

I'm not saying he's irredeemable, I'm just saying until he puts compassion above hate, he won't get my sympathy.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Just give him the medical attention he needs, but be forced to carry a sign around for the rest of his days saying how much he owes his fellow tax payers.

Or say "Thanks Obama" unironically on national television.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Speaking of that goober from yesterday, there's a guy sitting in front of me right now with a BigGovernmentSucks.com pin on his backpack.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Speaking of that goober from yesterday, there's a guy sitting in front of me right now with a BigGovernmentSucks.com pin on his backpack.

You should let him know the website is dead.

Thanks Obama

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Buh, but I thought it would be other people dieing in the gutter because of lack of health care. Not me, I'm special.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Magres posted:

You should let him know the website is dead.

Thanks Obama

Aw, it didn't even last two months (last time I saw that booth around campus anyway)? :unsmigghh:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Uroboros posted:

Just give him the medical attention he needs, but be forced to carry a sign around for the rest of his days saying how much he owes his fellow tax payers.

Or say "Thanks Obama" unironically on national television.

No. Fucker created his bed using his own political beliefs, not of his circumstances or society.

quote:

Lang is a self-employed handyman who works with banks and the federal government on maintaining foreclosed properties.

And has an evil job too.

gently caress him, lets see how many bake sales it will take to save his lazy rear end.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

mr. mephistopheles posted:

By holding them accountable for their completely voluntary and willful ignorance and support for hateful and harmful policies.

E: Like if anything was going to change their minds, it would be getting personally screwed so hard like this, but they'd rather to continue to cry about the opposing team than admit they were wrong.

The usual punishment for having dumb obnoxious opinions is being publicly called out as dumb and obnoxious, not blindness. We're not the loving Assyrians or Mongols

Although I could get behind decorating the Democratic Party headquarters with the severed heads of AM talk radio hosts on pikes like the London Bridge in the 1500s

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 12, 2015

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Shbobdb posted:

Cases like that are so sad. It reminds me of the guy who refused to pay his $20/month or whatever fire department fee because he lived in an unincorporated area. When he house caught fire, he tried to offer $20 to make sure they put out the fire. After being told that isn't how it works, he offered any amount of money. Nope, can't do that either.

One of the fun things about that case is that his house had caught fire once before, and they gave him a freebie not-letting-house-burn-down with a wag of the finger and "now seriously, you need to pay the monthly fee".

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

happyhippy posted:

And has an evil job too.

please explain to me the dynamics of how a self-employed handyman is politically problematic

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx

beatlegs posted:

Oh the irony.

Beautiful. Hopefully he goes completely broke, gets his house foreclosed on and has to maintain it while living in government assisted housing and SNAP.

Also if that situation were to happen, it would only move him further to the right.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

icantfindaname posted:

The usual punishment for having dumb obnoxious opinions is being publicly called out as dumb and obnoxious, not blindness

Blindness isn't his punishment, it's the result of his deliberate avoidance of personal responsibility. At his age he should know better. Medical problems happen to people when they get older. It isn't rocket science, especially to someone who's smart enough to run his own business for decades. The fuckstick governor he probably voted for and still supports took away his Medicaid option. There's only so much you can do for people who make it virtually impossible to help them.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

One of the fun things about that case is that his house had caught fire once before, and they gave him a freebie not-letting-house-burn-down with a wag of the finger and "now seriously, you need to pay the monthly fee".

Ugh this is why we need UHC (and universal firefighting but most places in the US already figured that out).

People are really really horrible at judging risk And the people who think insurance is a sucker's game because they're special somehow not only fail to learn the lesson when something happens to them, but then get mad about not receiving special treatment when they need that insurance coverage after all.

Radish posted:

The reason people want charity to cover things like healthcare and taking care of you when you are poor or elderly is because they want to choose who benefits. They have no problem giving to some white guy that "is just down on his luck" but they know in their heart that minorities are cheaters and lazy and thus they don't deserve any help until they help themselves. When the government handles the safety net, laws require they treat people equally (at least in theory). That's absoutely unacceptable to people that consider gays evil or non-whites as violent criminals.

Yeah this poo poo attitude is baffling to me. "But I'm a special snowflake who deserves help, not like the rest of them".

Obama should call this guy up and offer to help him by executive order, and ask for his support in campaigning for the medicaid expansion to help other South Carolinians in his position.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

RACHET posted:

Beautiful. Hopefully he goes completely broke, gets his house foreclosed on and has to maintain it while living in government assisted housing and SNAP.

Also if that situation were to happen, it would only move him further to the right.

That all sounds pretty awful for anyone to go through, actually.

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx

paranoid randroid posted:

That all sounds pretty awful for anyone to go through, actually.

Good, maybe he'll learn about what compassionate conservatism is all about.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
"Truly if your sins were not great, god would not have sent such a scourge as medical debt upon you." - A Progressive

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Where are Republicans getting all this money from?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

RareAcumen posted:

Uh dunno if you've noticed but lots of rich people are Republican.

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx

RareAcumen posted:

It comes from all the taxes they aren't paying.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

quote:

He has done well enough that his wife, Mary, hasn’t had to work.

He ran up $9,000 in bills and exhausted his savings.

Does not compute

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Ha, man, those conservatives sure are assholes for mocking the sick and mentally unstable, aren't they? Now let us informed, reasonable, compassionate liberals point and laugh at a man who's lost his job and will eventually lose his eyesight because he's incapable of critical thinking.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
While I think this dude is obnoxious and stupid, I also think its a shame he's having to beg to pay his bills. Because that's hosed up and society should provide for everyone, including the obnoxious and stupid.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

While I think this dude is obnoxious and stupid, I also think its a shame he's having to beg to pay his bills. Because that's hosed up and society should provide for everyone, including the obnoxious and stupid.

Yep. It is genuinely sad that he voted for politicians who blocked the medicaid expansion that would pay his bills.

We should use this as an example to people for why not to do that so this doesn't happen again.

E: This whole situation really drives home the irrationality of our society. We won't spend a relatively small amount of money to save his eyesight while we can, but once he goes blind we'll spend much more money taking care of him.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 13, 2015

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Shbobdb posted:

Cases like that are so sad. It reminds me of the guy who refused to pay his $20/month or whatever fire department fee because he lived in an unincorporated area. When he house caught fire, he tried to offer $20 to make sure they put out the fire. After being told that isn't how it works, he offered any amount of money. Nope, can't do that either.

If you are doing insurance right, you are losing money on it. That's the idea. Your normal luck (and some people's very good luck!) protects everybody from the occasional case of really bad luck.

Dude didn't want to do that, he wanted to pay it out of pocket as the situation arises. Even taking a fine. And I can't emphasis this enough, while he is a smoker with poorly controlled diabetes.

This is why we need nationalize healthcare. "I thought there would be something there in an emergency!" Yes, that thing that is supposed to be there is called "insurance" and you didn't have it.

I hope his individual charity works out. It sucks to be blind, especially if your work demands that you see.

That dude actually got saved the first time. It wasn't until he continued to refuse to pay the fee after the first time he nearly burnt down his home that they told him to get hosed.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Agreed. Too bad we can't get that because of assholes like this dude.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Yep. It is genuinely sad that he voted for politicians who blocked the medicaid expansion that would pay his bills.

We should use this as an example to people for why not to do that so this doesn't happen again.

I choose you, rando bumpkin, to account for your people's sins. How do you plead.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
You all have some valid points and it is OK to disagree on this.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Everyone should have access to proper medical care, but because this guy voted for someone we don't like, he should be allowed to go blind and beg for help while living in the gutter. This is something we should be saying, and is in no way merely a slightly rephrased right-wing talking point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Don't know if it was that house or another but the local (R) city/county in one of these cases made it illegal for fireman to put out a fire if they didn't pay the bill. While I also feel bad for the guy I can't help but also feel "This is what you loving voted for and refused to pay the fee, expecting a firefighter to get arrested and possibly fired because you're a greedy rear end in a top hat just makes you a bigger rear end in a top hat"